3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Crazyeighties

What are your phobias & fears?

universetwisters

I fear there not being an actual afterlife. I never believed in anything another man said. If the big man didn't say it to me personally, it isn't actuality. That's how I go about Heaven and all that.

But sometimes, when I get in that mood, I lie down on the floor, and just think about who I am from the universe's perspective. I think of the world like a book. Each page covers one person's entire life. It doesn't have any words, but just shows their life in segments from birth until death, and each chapter covers a billion people. 7 billion people, 7 chapters. I imagine the big man is sitting there reading it from time to time. He has the beginning written, but the ending, only he knows.

Told that to my friend one time and he looked at me like I was a nut job.

But it's my imagination that I'm afraid of actually losing, if there is no afterlife, what happens to you? What happens to your sense of existence? Your mind? Will you know you're no longer there or do you just fade into nothingness like before you were conceived?

Yeah.

I'm afraid of spilling my macaroni all over the floor.

I fear there not being an actual afterlife. I never believed in anything another man said. If the big man didn't say it to me personally, it isn't actuality. That's how I go about Heaven and all that.

But sometimes, when I get in that mood, I lie down on the floor, and just think about who I am from the universe's perspective. I think of the world like a book. Each page covers one person's entire life. It doesn't have any words, but just shows their life in segments from birth until death, and each chapter covers a billion people. 7 billion people, 7 chapters. I imagine the big man is sitting there reading it from time to time. He has the beginning written, but the ending, only he knows.

But it's my imagination that I'm afraid of actually losing, if there is no afterlife, what happens to you? What happens to your sense of existence? Your mind? Will you know you're no longer there or do you just fade into nothingness like before you were conceived?

Yeah.

It's that last bit where you should start: Do you really think (fear?) that your sense of existence has come from nothingness? Does inspiration then come from nothingness, too? I'm not really into this "Big Man in Heaven" thing, but I feel there must be something out there, something that one day, or one moment in space-time, have anything happening to me on this planet gonna make sense. Otherwise, this whole world would be pointless.

But since you don't "believe in anything another man said" I can only assume that you won't take much interest in this girl's opinion either. Anyway, I personally think that a) we come from somewhere else before we were conceived and thus b) we go somewhere else once our show here on this planet is finished and we played the game with the cards we've been dealt. I cannot offer any proof on this, nobody can; the topic has been tackled from spiritual, religious, even quantum theoretical angles, but all I can offer is my personal conviction here: There is no point in being afraid of things that we don't know, so better concentrate on the here and now.

I actually like the book notion. As a writer you know that books, written or unwritten, are alive, universes by themselves, anyway. So believe in that, and find your imagination there. Become a writer, I think you're a good one, but find your mission, how you want to inspire people, because writing is about inspiring people in the first place.

Sorry, if I once again went beyond topic, I'm in one of these moods today myself

​EDIT: Mr. Galloway, I want to suggest that in order to become a writer you'll want to find a way to connect to your audience. I don't mean that you have to like them, nor that they have to like you; but once you decide to become a writer and not just another professional cynic, you have to open up, tell them what you have to say, and listen to what they have to say, too, (even that macaroni guy above). Because there will also be persons that want to address your point earnestly. As a writer you reach out to them, and you have to accept that they reach out to you in turn, like it or not. Somewhere else you say nobody feels the way you feel. How would you know, Sir?

Edited by Guest

JayKed20

Apiphobia or melissophobia, fear of bees

I'm also pretty freaked out by blank screens, especially at night, I don't mind blank phone or laptop screens or anything like that, but blank TV screens are just creepy

Edited by JayKed20

GTA_CAT

Yeah.

I use to think about my existence and consciousness and damn, I can't imagine myself not existing, what's gonna happen with my self awareness, it's mind blowing. I like to elaborate different theories, maybe when you die you restart your life again and it's an endless cycle. Do you know where do you were before your birth or do you remember anything of your first two years? I think if I die and lose all I don't need to worry about my existence because it won't be existing, to put an example if I had no money I wouldn't need to worry about losing it. I always try to materialize the existence or trying to explain what exactly it is, I can't conform thinking it's just neuronal and cerebral activity, it gotta be something more but again, it's impossible.

Since centuries ago humans have been trying hard to solve that matter, via philosphy, religion... but we still haven't managed to find anything and I don't believe we are going to know it ever, so just enjoy your life and pursue your goals and dreams.

Apart from death, my other fears are claustrophobia (both closed spaces and not be able to move) and failing, a lot more than an average person.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

^^ The afterlife existence isn't impossible. That's an existential argument combined with an ontological argument. I don't care who trolls everyone along with this mentality....I've done the research and yes, I already know who started this crap and why on both sides of the argument.

I've died, more than I mentioned before on this forum and yes, there is something else.

It's not complicated....... There are great places and there are terrible places. Both, it seems, here and in other places that are not the the physical world you are used to.

Trouble is.....there are reasons why some would rather you not believe in anything other than what they tell you.

I disagree with all of them that would control or dominate what you would believe or hold as authority over you, knowing the uiniverse and it's creator is your own business. Nobody is worthy to control your experiences or funnel your free will..... Yeah, from my own experiences there are other places and some of them champion and others are far worse than this place. That's all..from my heart to yours.

Stay away from flat-liner fanatics.

Hating The Devil brings glory to God, reegarding this emotion, nearly everything else is a misdirection. Devil means Accuser from it's vernacular roots.

Good day...

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Tigereyesxx

Heights, PhysicalTorture, being broke...

Crossbones

I fear heights and lizards.

CanadianMuscle

Failure.

Japseye

I fear spiders and dying. I can't get over the fear of death but lately I'm calming down a bit on it

ddubz91

Heights, have a genuine fear of heights. Always have terrified me when I have to walk in a building with +2 stories height. Strangely enough, when I'm on my bike jumping some doubles over the 10-15 feet, not scared at all.

Always been more comfortable on my bike than walking, which is so strange in itself. 

ProKiller93

i only fear myself

ghost of delete key

Being relatively free of phobias, I can claim one...

Pnigophobia "fear of suffocation"

When I was 3, I jumped into a pool where my parents were cavorting... I remember vividly going under, and sinking, expelling the air in my lungs...

I wanted to scream, but- NO AIR- only water

I also remember being scooped up by my father, and basically nothing else after that, but the sense of lack of air, or breathing space, makes me insane.

I sometimes wake up freaked out for lack of air, having a rather bad case of sleep apnea. Not pleasant.

Kinda sad too, considering I smoked for 35 years and have probably done immense damage to my lungs because of it.

Just goes to show what the conscious mind will do in spite of the subconscious' efforts to preserve 'sanity'.

(fyi, I gave up smoking almost 3 years ago, and doing fine, though breathing can be a chore sometimes...)

Inttelix

I got to a point in life which I have lived so intensively that nothing scares me.

Witnessed three homicide/murder 2-3 meters in front of me for pocket change (one was a headshot with a 40mm pistol), wrongful arrests, violent robberies, young pre-teenagers in the drug game, mothers crying,  opening the refrigerator and not even water to drink, cutting out your power, suffered car and motorcycle accidents that nobody thought I would live, saw my childhood friends smoking crack, a guy tried to rob me but after recognizing him and he recognizing me the robber apologized asking me to forgive him because he knew me from the favela I live. After his apology, I fear nothing anymore. 

Imagine a robber jumping off a motorcycle saying "give up the phone! oh no it's you oh hey *takes off helmet* I'm sorry please dont tell the dealers I tried to rob you I am very very sorry please dont tell them! and God bless I am very sorry again!".

I also know that a lot of people lie on the internet about their life experiences. But these were truths I wish it was all a lie I had invented just to look hard on the internet. Because once you live through it you will understand how hard it is to talk about it.

ghost of delete key
19 hours ago, Inttelix said:

I got to a point in life which I have lived so intensively that nothing scares me....

You described my usual Tuesday afternoon. I'm not even kidding. Add shooting at (and connecting) Iranian mine-layers, macing thugs who'd tried to steal my parking-lot bankroll, etc. your point? Yes, a lot make static about their existence. Then as Gumball says "for 99% percent of people, life completely blows".

You can honestly come in and say there's NOTHING that gives you the visceral willies? I'll believe that when I'm Pope. Until then, tell us what you really feel deep down under that bravado exterior. Is it spiders? Is it your grandma's kiss? Something eats at everyone.

Inttelix
4 hours ago, ghost of delete key said:

You described my usual Tuesday afternoon. I'm not even kidding. Add shooting at (and connecting) Iranian mine-layers, macing thugs who'd tried to steal my parking-lot bankroll, etc. your point? Yes, a lot make static about their existence. Then as Gumball says "for 99% percent of people, life completely blows".

You can honestly come in and say there's NOTHING that gives you the visceral willies? I'll believe that when I'm Pope. Until then, tell us what you really feel deep down under that bravado exterior. Is it spiders? Is it your grandma's kiss? Something eats at everyone.

I can honestly say nothing surprises me anymore. But I'll tell you the last thing that caught my fear and after that I really see no use to fear of anything.

My mother is from the countryside and was raised by my grandfather who was an extremely racist man whom I did not meet since he died 12 years before my birth. I'm married, my wife is exactly the same colour as I am (white) and a few months ago we came to live with my mother so I can gather enough money to build my own house. She usually goes to my aunt's place on weekends. Last month we were at home and my aunt calls us inviting us for a big saturday lunch. When we get there, I get a big surprise with the food every single thing I dislike: Corn, pees, carrot, onion, cabbage. Did not bother much since there was meat ready to do hamburgers and my aunt asked me if I wanted to. When she hands me the meat, my mother abruptively takes it from her hands and says "he has to eat what I made or else he can stay hungry"

Suddenly my mother starts saying my wife doesnt let me eat, that she is a black whore which I should cheat, scum from a favela, a killer whale, and that she married me for my money and her parents abandoned her and that I only felt sorry for her. Started to say she was as black as coffee, that I dont deserve her, that I abandoned my mother alone (I am 27 years old, and my brother also lives with her) and that I left her to live in a favela, and how disgusted she feels towards us. 

That really hurt me. My wife started to cry and picked up the motorcycle helmet asking me to leave. So we left and I thought "well, when my mother comes back she will at least apologize because she was drunk" and thought wrong. She came back even more sinister with no regrets and to the point that she tried to beat my wife because she is after my money and is a killer whale. Started to separate food, toilet paper, plates, forks, cups, and knives. I even had to apply for a separate internet connection because she did not want me to use her 5MB bandwidth. And this is how I live today.

You know, I never felt the need to classify social frontiers and it makes me feel sick those who do. I have lived in terrible conditions with no water or power, sometimes even food ran out. But that does not mean I have to disrespect people around me. If I dont like something and know that if I say it, it might hurt someone, then I rather keep it to myself. Its really hard to see anything that might fear me now, because whenever I am in any situation I just think of every possible way of it going wrong. So when it does go wrong I just wont disappoint myself so much.

And I feel very sorry for my mother. Felt extremely embarassed too. Imagine being friends, living, and getting along a 98% black community with a extremely racist mother?

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Inttelix

Short Stay
4 hours ago, Inttelix said:

Sorry for the rant.

No need to apologise, that was heartfelt and entertaining. You are nothing if not brave being in a mixed marriage.

It's me who must apologise for saying:

1. Your mum sounds a bit mental.

2. No woman is ever good enough for a mother's son (oftenwise, anyway)

3. Contrary to popular belief it's women who have one track minds. It goes breeding, relationships, breeding, relationships, breeding, etc. (or does that count as two tracks?)

Inttelix

I think number one is quite more likely.

ghost of delete key

Sorry to hear about your family situation, Inttelix. That's the last place any crap like that should go down.

At least you know what cycle to break, huh? :monocle:

*Qi*

One of the biggest phobias that is haunting me over years is the fear of not being able to find the Exam Room or Not being prepared for the exam (Just like minutes before exam). It haunts me in my dream till this very day. Although it has thankfully never happened with me in real life.

Fireman

I have a irrational fear of burglars. I have had it under control for the past 5 years or so, but before that i used to check my closet (and the rest of my room) for burglars that hid themselves inside my room, only to come creep around at night.

I still get quite paranoid when I hear sounds I do not normally hear downstairs/outside and even walk downstairs sometimes to check if there are burglars (either with or without a bat).

Each time I think about it, it makes me laugh and think about how ridiculous it is, but I'll keep doing it.