2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Very distant past vs. very distant future

Jimmy_Leppard

Hi, guys. :)

I don't open up a lot of topics because I usually ask questions I want answers to in a ''Have a question'' topic, but I believe this one has the magnitude of being on its own. So, my friend and I were talking yesterday and among different topics, I came to an idea of an interesting topic for a discussion. My topic or a problem for discussion is this:

Take yourself as a person who you are today.. with all the knowledge you gained up to this day, everything you know. And now, you get the opportunity to choose (and let's say you must choose) between two possible ways of time travelling without the possibility of getting back to present time, which one would you choose:

1.) First option is to travel back in time, but to a very distant past, let's say a long time before ''civilized times'', about 800 000 years in the past when the neanderthals were around.

2.) Second option is to travel in the future, but to a very distant future, about a 1000 years in the future.

Now, why those two particular times? Well, because it gets interesting since neither is comfortable for today's person to say the least. Would you travel about 800 000 years into the past where all the knowledge you have gathered could serve you, but only to a very small extent since, let's face it, 800 000 years from now and today are nowhere near being similar... OR would you travel about a 1000 years in the future where all the knowledge you posses would also serve you, but possibly to a much smaller extent since living in time a 1000 years in the future with the knowledge that's a 1000 years behind its time is probably the reason why it would be next to impossible to ''catch up'' and accomodate to the life which is gonna be then.

Where do you think you'd fit in better or easier and why?

As for me, I'd choose to go a 1000 years in the future and try to catch up with that time as much as I could. For me, going 800 000 years in the past after living in today's world where so much stuff is available.. I'm pretty sure that there, I'd be more lost than a 1000 years from now.

Edited by Jimmy_Leppard

800,000 years ago...I don't believe neanderthals existed yet, but for arguments sake I would choose going in the past. I think it would be really scary but it would be super cool to see all the extinct creatures. I'd probably die really quickly though.

69KznXU.png

I'd go in the future.

No way a man of today could survive to the life of 800.000 years ago.

Unless you were trained to do so of course...

• Like 2

I'd go in the future.

My thoughts exactly. However, the question is would a man of today be able to co-exist and, with that said, survive in a very distant future? Definitely more easily than in the past for sure, but still.. In the past, you at least know what's coming and are 800 000 ahead of its time, but in the future, you don't know what's coming or, for that matter, what has been for the past 1000 years.. it is certainly questionable if a man of today could adapt to it.

Edited by Jimmy_Leppard

I don't see how my knowledge of today could help me 800.000 years back. I don't even know how to make a fire, how to communicate with neanderthals (and if they would kill me) or how to hunt. As long as I don't have surviving skills like for example Bear Grylls, my knowledge won't help me much I guess.

This is not a hard decision, I definitely choose the future since it's much easier to survive there I guess.

Edited by Nordniedersachse

I don't see how my knowledge of today could help me 800.000 years back. I don't even know how to make a fire, how to communicate with neanderthals (and if they would kill me) or how to hunt. As long as I don't have surviving skills like for example Bear Grylls, my knowledge won't help me much I guess.

This is not a hard decision, I definitely choose the future since it's much easier to survive there I guess.

That's a fair point. Nevertheless, people of today have the knowledge that is far more advanced for a time that's 800 000 years ago and a knowledge which lets you know you can start a fire and get warmed up by it is something creatures from 800 000 years didn't know. Whether or not you know how to use your knowledge in a practical manner is another issue.

Future without a doubt.

I'd just love to see it for one thing. Try out the technology and stuff. Could be a nightmarish dystopia or a wasteland but it also could be awesome with flying cars and holodecks and sh*t. I've already got a rought idea of what the past looked like. 800 000 years ago doesn't sound terribly appealing. What am I going to do, apart from being scared sh*tless?

Edited by Waldie

I'd go in the future.

My thoughts exactly. However, the question is would a man of today be able to co-exist and, with that said, survive in a very distant future? Definitely more easily than in the past for sure, but still.. In the past, you at least know what's coming and are 800 000 ahead of its time, but in the future, you don't know what's coming or, for that matter, what has been for the past 1000 years.. it is certainly questionable if a man of today could adapt to it.

It depends on the future but more or less sci-fi movies and literature prepared us for many types of future, at least theoretically.

As for the past, as I said, you could undergo a full training to survive in it.

Problem is, survive to do what? Live your life in a cave and being depressed by the fact that nothing you know exists? Not even a town...

I wouldn't mind to live 1000 or 2000 years ago when at least there were things I could relate to and understand.

In fact why just 1000y in the future and so many years in the past? Wouldn't be a better comparison if it was 2000 forward and 2000 in the past? Just wondering... ;)

Edited by Doc Rikowski

RuTMhed.png

I'll take thousands of years ago, in the future!

• Like 3

ZDL4nai.gif

I'd go in the future.

It depends on the future but more or less sci-fi movies and literature prepared us for many types of future, at least theoretically.

As for the past, as I said, you could undergo a full training to survive in it.

Problem is, survive to do what? Live your life in a cave and being depressed by the fact that nothing you know exists? Not even a town...

I wouldn't mind to live 1000 or 2000 years ago when at least there were things I could relate to and understand.

In fact why just 1000y in the future and so many years in the past? Wouldn't be a better comparison if it was 2000 forward and 2000 in the past? Just wondering... ;)

Yes, I see what you're saying.

But, to answer your question - no, I wanted it to be an extreme point to the past and an extreme point to the future because, as you said, even a 1000 years in the past has something a man of today can relate to of some sort, I wanted to place it to the extreme past because it's definitely questionable if a man of today could survive in a surrounding like it was so many years ago.

As for the future... the society is evolving rapidly. 1000 years ago, every evolving process took decades or even a 100 years. Today or the past several decades, mankind's been evolving much faster and it takes us less time to evolve, so a 1000 years in the future would definitely cover the society or mankind evolving to at least 5 times as big of a level as we are today. I think that's enough to be extreme because in a 1000 years, I doubt that 2% of how we live now will sustain and last through mankind evolving. So, that's why I decided to go with a 1000 years. It's a big enough extreme future to handle the 800 000-years-in-the-past end.

Edited by Jimmy_Leppard
  • Like 1

I choose the future. I can already imagine the incredible things that will be in our world.

IcOqQpq.gif

Distant past.

I'd really like to see Earth before culture took over and all that.

Live like a savage homo sapiens and slaughter the damn neanderthals to survive.

TheGoodSgtScooter

Future.

Why not see what happens to the world?

Then again, past would be cool too.

Even for a person who had been trained in survival it would be very challenging to say the least to survive for any amount of time in 800,000 years in the past. That person would have to survive weather conditions, wildlife would also be a big problem, disease, and our own species which can be more violent than nature and wildlife put together.

I know how to hunt, I use to be an avid bow hunter and I received some survival training when I was in the Army, but I wouldn't choose to go back 800k years in the past. I think I would rather take on the future.

make total destroy

Future.

Why not see what happens to the world?

Because it's f*cking terrifying.

yqwcbDf.png

800,000 years in the past is a death sentence, there would be nothing cool about it. Unless you think dying is cool. Then it would be really cool.

9QRzUfn.gif?1

Tough f*cking choice.

cLEjzRS.jpg

I choose the FEMBOT!

spacer.png

You guys aren't seeing the big picture. A few millennia into the past with a basic knowledge of electricity generation and of friction. You would be a god! You could get all the cave pussy (or dick) you want. You shave one of those cavemen and they look pretty much the same. Man, the power you could wield.

Go in the future and you'll be even more insignificant than you are today, except a thousand years stupider. Assuming that 1000 years into the future doesn't look like a few thousand in the past, which it may well. Some might say that isn't a bad thing either.

• Like 2

Myron does have a point in my opinion. That's pretty much my friends argument when we talked about this topic, like word for word, especially about the first paragraph. I agree. I considered going into the past for that reasons aswell, but to me, it's like being a God of a dump which 800 000 years ago world was, so...

PinkRibbonScars

The future. I think it would be great to see the technological advances or even catch up on previous events in history or events that are occurring during that time periods(Ex: new nations,new governments,etc). (Well assuming that the human species did not go extinct)

I'd stick with the present.

I have no idea how the world will be in the next 1000 years, are people still around? Do I have to give a like and subscribe at the entrance of starbucks to get a coffee?

As for going that back in the past, I have a general idea how a gas generator works for example, no idea how to build one there though. Also no idea if my immunity system would last long out there either.

I'd much rather be an ignorant, insignificant individual marvelling at the wonders of a presumably advanced and impressive future than be king of the cavemen.

Send me 800,000 years into the future so I can see how the humanity flushed itself off of Earth and whether or not we have any successors out there.

kzgN7qp.png

You guys aren't seeing the big picture. A few millennia into the past with a basic knowledge of electricity generation and of friction. You would be a god! You could get all the cave pussy (or dick) you want. You shave one of those cavemen and they look pretty much the same. Man, the power you could wield.

Go in the future and you'll be even more insignificant than you are today, except a thousand years stupider. Assuming that 1000 years into the future doesn't look like a few thousand in the past, which it may well. Some might say that isn't a bad thing either.

Where did it say You can take modern health-care with You? Let me know how You take care of the odd cave disease x. And those of You who think You'd be having fun with neanderthals, check again. Neanderthals existed around 400.000-30.000 years ago. I can't imagine how fun it would be go twice further.
  • Like 1

spacer.png