Help with some math calculations

Shmoopy

Hi there, I'm making a slider from scratch , I did everything except getting the right formula for the value that should be calculated depending on the min and max values, let me explain:

Lets say that the value is set to be between 100(min value) and 250(max value)

min value => 100 255 <= max value

[ =======||======= ]

min pos => [ ] <= max pos

What we know : • The current slider position ( || xpos ) which is an integer .

• The min and max values .

• The min ( [ ) and max ( ] ) positions that the slider should not exceed .

What we need : • The current value that should be between 100 and 255 which depends on the current slider position

Its been a while since i studied something related to maths , but i believe that this has to do with either matrices or three equations with one unknown value x that should somehow be merged ?

I only remember this formula , but i used to do it with 2 lines and not 3 ( I don't know what its called in maths) like b*100/a = X

a ===> 100

b ===> X

c ===> 255

How I'm i supposed to find X ?

Edited by Manfred Von Karma

universetwisters

If I understand what you're trying to ask, you're trying to figure out what "x' is in the equation 100 + x = 255

You find X by taking 255 and subtracting 100 from it to get: 155

Thus, 100 + 155 = 255

sTgL5iS.png

If I understand what you're trying to ask, you're trying to figure out what "x' is in the equation 100 + x = 255

You find X by taking 255 and subtracting 100 from it to get: 155

Thus, 100 + 155 = 255

No actually i was asking how to find the value of X in an interval of [100,255] , if I do b*100/a = X , I get only the value of X when it is dragged to the right half side of the bar

100 X 255

[a ==========||===b]

c

And when i do b*255/c = X i get the value when the slider is dragged to the half left side

100 X 255

[a ====||=========b]

c

na89340qv0n34b09q340

In numbers where 0 is the lowest value, you add 0 to your number, so 0 +25 = 25. Here if you were 25 increments down the slider you'd add 100 to that, so the 25th position down the slider would be 125.

maybe looking for something like b = xpos + 100 <= 255

e: And then adapt that for calculating movement down the slider.

If that helps. :)

Edited by Joe Chip

In numbers where 0 is the lowest value, you add 0 to your number, so 0 +25 = 25. Here if you were 25 increments down the slider you'd add 100 to that, so the 25th position down the slider would be 125.

maybe looking for something like b = xpos + 100 <= 255

e: And then adapt that for calculating movement down the slider.

If that helps. :)

It didn't work , I'll just ditch the slider component and move on , thanks guys , this topic can be locked.

The only problem with the question is that without min pos and max pos it's impossible to do. If we had those 2 values then it would be a doddle.

value = min_value + (max_value - min_value) * (pos - min_pos)/(max_pos - min_pos);

That's if you're happy with linear mapping.

(Edit: I'm not sure if you need this direction or the reverse. But formula works both ways. Just swap "pos" and "value", "max_pos" and "max_value", and "min_pos" and "min_value".)

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

value = min_value + (max_value - min_value) * (pos - min_pos)/(max_pos - min_pos);

That's if you're happy with linear mapping.

(Edit: I'm not sure if you need this direction or the reverse. But formula works both ways. Just swap "pos" and "value", "max_pos" and "max_value", and "min_pos" and "min_value".)

Thank you so much :) !