Something needs to be done...

Crazyeighties

So after finding out about the tragic suicide of a friend of a friend, I thought I would post a quick thought. People be kind to each other, if someone needs to talk lend a ear, if you see wrong do what you can to right it.Things are never as bad as you think, you are the hardest person on yourself , people do to judge you like you think My god things like this do not have to happen if you need help reach out there are people that care.

That is all....

Edited by Crazyeighties
  • Like 5

universetwisters

I wish more folks were like that. Too true

• Like 3

sTgL5iS.png

IveGotNoValues

I agree. The world could be a much better place if people were kinder. It seems everybody these days has a tree branch lodged into their ass, and don't care to help others cause it doesn't benefit them. We need more people willing to help others. Horrible things like suicide could be prevented...even a simple hug from a stranger can honestly help more than you'd think. Having someone there to listen to and support you all the way really can make living more bearable. I'll listen to anyone that's having problems. no matter what they may be. Just PM me and vent it all out.

Edited by IveGotNoValues
  • Like 5

I agree. The world could be a much better place if people were kinder. It seems everybody these days has a tree branch lodged into their ass, and don't care to help others cause it doesn't benefit them. We need more people willing to help others. Horrible things like suicide could be prevented...even a simple hug from a stranger can honestly help more than you'd think. Having someone there to listen to and support you all the way really can make living more bearable. I'll listen to anyone that's having problems. no matter what they may be. Just PM me and vent it all out.

In the Republic of South Africa, there's something called Ubuntu (no, not the operating system [although it was named after it]). It pretty much describes what you are saying in your post.

Ever since I started following this philosophy in my personal life I've been much happier. It's great meeting others who do - too. Culturally where I live it's something you find more among the local African black population - whereas very unfortunately you conversely get others in this country who are entirely disrespectful, racist and think they can walk (or rater, drive) over others who are less fortunate than them.

• Like 2

I second that if anyone needs to talk just PM me, I feel for you, I'll even give you my direct line if you need to talk...

I wish people would actually be willing to lend a ear, helping someone who's depressed can do good for them and make you feel like you did something to help them get through their problems.

QELXDiM.jpg

I wish people would actually be willing to lend a ear, helping someone who's depressed can do good for them and make you feel like you did something to help them get through their problems.

Why wouldn't someone be willing to talk. If they say they are they likely willing to talk.

Edited by Crazyeighties

^Come again, I don't understand what your saying.

You said you wished people would be willing to listen, I'm saying I genuinely care because no one should feel the pain of a family member taking their own life

Or are you talking about people in general?

Edited by Crazyeighties

^I thought you meant other people like strangers who don't care. Sorry, and yes no one should feel that pain.

QELXDiM.jpg

^I thought you meant other people like strangers who don't care. Sorry, and yes no one should feel that pain.

Oh okay, I was not sure what you were trying to say,

Edited by Crazyeighties

Look I totally dig your hippie vibe...trust me I do.

But take it from an old beaten down hippie. People aren't that bad. People listen...people have friends they can turn to. If not then I blame the internet for creating a world of socially dysfunctional beings. Everyone has at least one true friend.

But...The world will forever have assholes. Just something you have to learn to live with. Nothing anyone can do about that. And hey, we kind of need assholes to keep things exciting. People've been around for a long ass time and sh*t can get boring.

Do your part to do good. Do it in a nice(not in your face) way and it will help.

Suicide sucks. I feel bad for the people who take it that far. Sadly, I'm not always sure "talking" or "a friend" would solve their issue(s).

As always:

Be kind to your neighbor. Smile at strangers.

• Like 6

i am always willing to help someone who is genuinely in trouble. what i won't do is be manipulated by people who threaten to kill themselves everyday because they've found it gets them attention. some really nice people get taken advantage of in this way, sounds cold, but it happens

• Like 2

LQayY8P.jpg

Look I totally dig your hippie vibe...trust me I do.

But take it from an old beaten down hippie. People aren't that bad. People listen...people have friends they can turn to. If not then I blame the internet for creating a world of socially dysfunctional beings. Everyone has at least one true friend.

But...The world will forever have assholes. Just something you have to learn to live with. Nothing anyone can do about that. And hey, we kind of need assholes to keep things exciting. People've been around for a long ass time and sh*t can get boring.

Do your part to do good. Do it in a nice(not in your face) way and it will help.

Suicide sucks. I feel bad for the people who take it that far. Sadly, I'm not always sure "talking" or "a friend" would solve their issue(s).

As always:

Be kind to your neighbor. Smile at strangers.

We alone can not change the world but we as a whole can, some compassion goes a long way, it's kind of like a tumbleweed it grows and grows if someone sees or receives a little kindness they are likely to do good so on and so on!

What makes this even more tragic this was a young person that took their life. I can't describe it, I had an awful feeling this morning. I don't know what it was but I had this feeling something was wrong... It sure was

Edited by Crazyeighties

I doubt someone would commit suicide because no one listens to him, like this guy had no family, no friends no nothing? no one commits suicide because people didnt "lend him an ear" its much deeper than that. like i've been through depression years ago and still do sometimes. and i have good relations with people. what was causing it was other stuff that was happening in my life that was bad. but thats just how life works. its harsh. its full of assholes, ill give you that. but there are good people. you just gotta live with that and keep going.

Edited by Majestic81

I enjoy listening to people's problems and giving feedback/suggestions, as long as they are willing to accept the advice. Otherwise I typically ignore them as my words are just going in one ear, and out the other, making it a complete waste of time. I've been down the road of depression and bottling up feelings was the worst mistake I made, so it's always good to have someone you can talk to, as long as you're willing to listen if they attempt to help you, not just listen.

• Like 3
38391_s.gif

What about spontaneous suicides though? There's nothing you can do about them. One of my college mates committed suicide this year back in Feb when he learned that his girlfriend had committed suicide. He was a bright student; one of the college toppers so it was a real shock to find out that he taken such a drastic step. And there's really nothing anyone could have done to stop him. Some people are just too fragile.

I've never understood this idea that someone who is depressed can be helped simply by talking about it. If they are actually depressed (and not just being a pussy little emo bitch) then they've probably got a good reason for it and I don't see how any amount of chin-wagging is going to change that.

Sure, maybe if you're down because you're pining over some broad then yeah, maybe you could use a serious talk so someone can tell you to get your sh*t together, but if you've got real worries, like health, money, family and whatnot, no heart to heart (especially with some stranger) is going to make them go away. And let's face it, any advice they give, you're probably not going to follow it anyway.

It's like the news story recently about cancer patients being depressed. No f*cking sh*t they're depressed, they've got cancer! Chatting to a therapist isn't going to help though, concentrating on the chemo might. It's unfortunate but that's just life.

You either get on with life or don't. I'm sure being all touchy feely sounds good to some but it really seems pointless to me.

Of course, on the other hand, there are Antidepressants but I wouldn't really care for them. Designated suicide zones might be a plan though.

Edited by Waldie

Back in the late 60s there was a push for "Listening" which devolved into nothing.

People would say things like, "I hear your." and "I feel your pain.", which turned into "Yada-Yada-Yada.". They listened so much they didn't actually hear a thing the other person was saying. You can hear the words but if you do not understand them then listening is worthless.

My observation of these Listeners, was that they were so up in themselves on how they were helping that they had no idea on what was actually being said.

"Look at ME, I am helping by hearing this poor wretch spill his/her guts that I am a wonderful kind understanding person, yes I am."

Some of the most dangerous people in the world are second year Med students, and anyone taking a Psychology course.

if you've got real worries, like health, money, family and whatnot, no heart to heart (especially with some stranger) is going to make them go away. .

That's true, I remember back between 2008-12 while I was going through treatments for cancer, and complications from treatment it was the darkest point in my life, (it did not help that I was in and out of the hospital every 1-2 months) what made it even worse was people saying "I know what your going through" or "I feel your pain" when in fact I know they were just trying to help it made it so much harder Edited by Crazyeighties

PinkRibbonScars

Thanks for making this thread op. I wouldn't say I'm depressed , but I down feel down some if not most of the time, and sometimes it just comes out no where. I'd be willing to talk to someone but it feels like most people wouldn't understand. Also I hate it when you need help and some people just try to make you laugh or they try to give you religion.

The world doesn't need assjoles there's no exuse my advice is to be a troll. I'm a total troll in real life as that's how I get my kicks and stay sane in a crazy world.

Anyway sorry to hear about your friend can't be good and I feel sorry for all with severe mental problems. Only the person can save himself and if he cannt do that there's no hope.

Suicide won't go away until the societal issues and circumstances that lead to depression and suicide are dealt with. Even then it would still be around. It would be impossible to have a society with 0 suicides. But I agree that a good place to start is for people to be kinder but that's harder than it seems.