Red Sky Bug Explaination

Jaippa

So there's a red sky bug in this game. No one knows why it happens apparently. But I do.

I'll be posting a link to download my savegame that I've tested this with & a link to a YouTube video in which I've done my testing.

This bug happens between 19:30 & 21:00 ingame. Here's why.

In the PC version of GTA SA (In which all testing has occured) there are two timecyc.dat files. One is named timecyc.dat and the other is timecycp.dat. timecycp.dat is the timecycle file for the PS2 version of the game. If you open it with notepad, it's just a jumbled up mess. But the PC version timecycle file is all neat. A few rows are out of line, such as the lines to indicate what RGB value the sky has in the desert & desert storms. Which is why this happens. This is also why it only happens on the PC version and on no other platform as far as I know.

To be clear, this doesn't happen when you rename timecycp.dat to timecyc.dat.

TL;DR: The game reads the timecyc.dat file differently and the game tries to render out two or three weather types at the same time because the PC timecycle is in a format in which the game is not used to reading.

I've done numerous researching about this, and haven't found anything regarding it much here on GTAForums. Excuse me if I missed a topic that already explained this. If you have a different idea why this happens feel free to express it. Though this is as close as you'll get to a proper and realistic explaination.

EDIT: I copied this post over to the modding/other subforum. It seems to have gotten a lot more replies so here's the link to that.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/736758-red-sky-bug-explaination/?do=findComment&comment=1066169572

Edited by Jaippa

It is not a Bug. It is called Weather conditions. There is also a Vanilla sky as well.

RED SKIES

Bloody sky, What’s wrong with ya Rockstar?

If it's not a bug then why does it not happen with the PS2 timecycle? As far as I know, GTA SA was a terrible port and lost a lot of cool stuff from the PS2 version. Such as six wheeled trucks and propeller blur.

I'm fairly certain it is a bug because it's not mentioned for any platform except the PC, and as far as I know not a lot of people know about renaming the timecyc files.

And yeah, I've seen those posts, but neither of them actually explain why it happens.

EDIT: A friend told me I should have posted this in the modding-other section. Could I just copy it over and keep it here as well?

EDIT2: Nevermind, I already copied it.

Edited by Jaippa

• 3 months later...

If it's not a bug then why does it not happen with the PS2 timecycle? As far as I know, GTA SA was a terrible port and lost a lot of cool stuff from the PS2 version. Such as six wheeled trucks and

We had 5-wheeled trucks :)