2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

"On Call" feature

Chaotic Shrapnel

Chaotic Shrapnel

Added in the 1.15 patch (Independence Update) is a feature called the "on call" where a player can have their place held lobby waiting for a mission to start while they are still playing in freemode. I first found this out while watching a video on YouTube and saw the players icon say on call next to this, and that caught my attention and caused me to search and find out about this. Here's the exact quote from Rockstar in the Independence Update on PlayStation blog;

"The automatic update for the Independence Day Special also includes additional game tuning updates and other adjustments, including the new On Call Matchmaking function. This new option allows players to accept a Job invite and continue playing in Freemode until that Job fills up, reducing time spent idle while waiting for Job to start." - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/01/the-gta-online-independence-day-special-available-starting-today/

Knowing this I doubt I will ever sit in a lobby waiting for the mission to start, unless the host is forced to stay in the lobby. This tiny up feature is possibly one of the greatest added to gta online, and I didn't even know it was added until about 20 minutes ago!

This thread is just a heads up to all of those who didn't know about it, but I'm curious to know how many of you actually knew about this feature? Cheers.

Along with the "on call" feature you have a 99.9% chance of being in a crappy non-verified player created match.

It's flawed. You can be waiting for 20 minutes sometimes, also thrown into random bs jobs.

• Like 1

Chaotic Shrapnel

It's flawed. You can be waiting for 20 minutes sometimes, also thrown into random bs jobs.

Is it really that dumb? I saw a video and the guy made it out to be pretty convenient.

Delta India Echo

It's broken as sh*t.

It always makes me launch the session just when it's loading for them too and I get booted out with no error message.

f*ck that sh*t.

Its completely flawed.

You can thank the RR scrubs who are stuck in the past.

• Like 2

Is it really that dumb? I saw a video and the guy made it out to be pretty convenient.

Sometimes works alright, but if it hasn't hit max players and the host doesn't know he can hit start while you are on call they will just wait, then other players leave and you see 5 out of 8 drop to 3. Then you go quick job alone, and end up alone. And like D.I.E. said seperates players too often

Delta India Echo

Not to mention, it never even says what job/mission you are joining. So it's 90% that you are joining Rooftop Rumble.

Edited by Delta India Echo

Not to mention, it never even says what job/mission you are joining. So it's 90% that you are joining Rooftop Rumble.

Hey! You call that an insult now? :rol:

RoofCock Dumble is my go-to. ;)

• Like 1

I only use it for Random Contact Missions. It seems to work well for this. The amount of Rooftop Rumble jobs has gone down and even playing some Gerald missions is worth it now, so that's nice. It will tell you how many players are waiting - like 2/4 players or 5/6 so you know how close it is to starting. There are no user created jobs so no worries there. If the wait is getting long u can always call up another random contact mission to reset the timer or cancel it even.

When you are on call if you select a random job category and back out when it asks for confirmation it will cancel your current on call. So if you are on call and finally see that chromed Dominator you've been trying to grab and insure you can cancel the job before it yanks you out of the session.

Chaotic Shrapnel

I don't know why everyone is complaining, I just tried doing it and got into 3 different contact missions with 4 players each time. For other game types it might suck but contact missions it's my new go-to.

Its so broken.. It literally loads FOREVER! Or it finally loads and it kicks you back into Freemode.. Pisses me off D:

89.9% the time the "on call" players join and leave which lags the screen when trying launch the job. When it finally gets through that laggy sh*t screen mostly otter players who joined from open invite or on call have left also. The on call feature need to be fixes for us to launch job screen menu and the option to allow job HOST to accept on call players before they can join would of been a nice feature included.

Maybe the lag/frozen "joining" part when players left already is only happening to me..idk..

works well for me? i enjoy being in a mission with 3-4 players already waiting instead of having to wait for people to hopefully join.

Would be nice if you could use it for a SPECIFIC job (race or deathmatch) or specific contact mission, then we'd be getting somewhere.

contact mission - on call

yes yes.

one of the best things they added.

i rarely come across any problems when joining a mission from it

DuncanOfFlorance

I don't get how everyone's having so much trouble with it...

I always join contact missions on call and within 2 minutes I'm joining a mission. Takes 1 minute at most to find a lobby and 1 minute before the host starts the mission. Only thing they need to add is the ability to see which missions you're joining.

I wouldn't try it on DM and races though, you'll mostly end up in a player created match.

It's a great idea on paper. Problem is you don't know what your joining till it's too late.

That and the on call host, 95% of the time I see on call host the lobby never fills.

lazyassedlover

theres no point, if you bother to lift up your phone and select a job you should be ready and may aswell just join

hate people on fifa virtual pro that click a match and wait in the middle, why if you are not ready to go? wasting peoples time

TheKingChivas

I hate it, personally, and I wish they'd switch the ON Call option to the last space on the phone list. If I want to join a mission, I join it...I don't kind-of-join-but-wait. It's unnecessary at best.

• Like 1

AceThaCreator

They need to get us the ability to filter and request certain jobs so that way we know what we are getting ourselves into because im SICK of the 100000$$RP deathmatches forced+pickups unarmed with tanks, buzzards, minigun, and all that Bulls*it.

• Like 2

I have not used it. In my experience, I back out of 2/3 of the races and dm's that I quick join once I see the event/settings. I wouldn't want to just get thrown in blind. I can see how it would be good for contact missions though.

Along with the "on call" feature you have a 99.9% chance of being in a crappy non-verified player created match.

Yeah, i noticed that today. Really sucks.

I only use the on-call feature to join missions and it works well for me. I have been sent to RR quite a few times, but I end up joining A Titan Of A Job more often using on-call.

I don't know why everyone seems to be having so many problems with getting into jobs - I haven't had any problems using the On Call feature since it came out.

The only issue I see with it is that you don't see the job you're joining, as mentioned by others previously, so if you're planning on joining a DM you can expect to be put into a UGC one.

I use it regularly, and a job is found within a few seconds, depending on how long the lobby takes to fill I'm waiting between 5 and 20 seconds to join, if it hasn't started after 2 minutes I go on call again to find another. It's brilliant.

The problem of user created garbage still exists, but I've found races haven't been too bad for that lately (it happens but not often enough to make me angry) and deatmatches are OK if you avoid the 16 player ones (e.g. lobby comes up x / 16 after you hit On Call)..