2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

What's wrong with "camping"

K_Fish_13

In GTA online freeroam PVP battles are inevitable. When you kill someone whilst hiding behind cover, or while in a strategic position, the victim always seems to start screaming "camper" followed by the typical vulgar profanity over their mic.

My question is, what is wrong with camping ? Staying in one position, and holding down the position is far more effective than running through the streets with an assault shotgun like you're Rambo. And it seems many people don't use this tactic, and seem to believe it is a "pussy move". I do not understand this, and would like to know what you guys think.

I searched for a topic along these lines and didn't find one. Sorry if i've messed up somehow.

Not one damn thing. You see most people in online games are morons that expect everyone else to play the way they want them to play. The smart players place others into situations they control, a tactic that camping suits very nicely. Camping is a very smart and powerful tactic and because of this fact the less mentally matured feel the need to complain about it

Ohh and yes it can be boring and slows the pace of battles but that does not make it a inappropriate tactic to use.

Edited by Semperfiman550

Nothing wrong, people use worse "tactics" to kill you like RPG's, zentornos and combat rolling over and over. I like to keep moving, but taking cover once in a while, if you stand in an open area you'll get killed with cheap tactics.

juantrapriguez

IMO camping is looked down upon, only because in COD, the player who camps, wins. Little kids always, as you mentioned, run out like Rambo. So you'd imagine they'd condemn camping when they lose a TDM.

In GTA however, the only time i've experienced camping is when someone would snipe from the car garage.

I'm all for camping. Make your opponent work for that kill. Don't just run around like a Neanderthal

Is this The Guy?

Nothing wrong at all. When you fight you fight to win and you win at all cost.

• Like 11

juantrapriguez

Nothing wrong at all. When you fight you fight to win and you win at all cost.

Amen to that!

• Like 2

One time I was getting teamed up on by 3 other players. I was on my 2nd account and was using a level 20-something character. One of the guys was over 120 and the two others were in the 60s and 70s. In total they had me about 30-20. I was camping to get a few of those kills and every time I did they complained that I was camping lol. After I left the session I msg the high rank player that if he ever wanted to have a crew battle in an invite only when it wasn't 3 on 1 to add me... I never received a friend request lol

Edited by wh1t31v3y

With no interiors and windows to peek out of, camping is not enough of an advantage in GTA to be 'cheating'.

It's never "cheating" unless the rules of the game explicitly state "Any form of camping is forbidden".

• Like 5

Camping with a sniper and rocket launcher is cheap due to their range (although, the accuracy is quite poor for the rocket launcher). If you prefer to use a pistol or such, then I don't see the problem. I do see it as a pussy move, but only if you're killing from a distance and they're half the level of you.

streetx1xracer

Not one damn thing. You see most people in online games are morons that expect everyone else to play the way they want them to play. The smart players place others into situations they control, a tactic that camping suits very nicely. Camping is a very smart and powerful tactic and because of this fact the less mentally matured feel the need to complain about it

Ohh and yes it can be boring and slows the pace of battles but that does not make it a inappropriate tactic to use.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Manipulating someone is amazing especially if they fall for it.
  • Like 3

Couldn't of said it better myself.

I play a lot of death matches. There is NO SINGLE RIGHT way to do it, despite what any person may tell you. The pace, the terrain, your position, their position and the weapon choice dictate an optimal "approach".

These are the same kind of people that also usually complain about higher ground or roof tops. It's on them if they want to restrict themselves on how to achieve victory but by NO means does it make them right.

In Free Roam, the idea of "camping" becomes even more of a joke as it's not even remotely a legitimate complaint. Get over yourselves people.

Edited by G37
  • Like 9

TimelyMeerkat

I hate camping. Have you seen the price of decent campgrounds? If I'm paying that much I might as well stay at a hotel.

I hate camping. Have you seen the price of decent campgrounds? If I'm paying that much I might as well stay at a hotel.

The joke was written... everybody, go home. Timely has won this thread.

• Like 3

First off OP "camping" is a filthy terminology used by COD squeakers, and neckbeards, so please don't use COD words around here lol. Second there's nothing wrong with using a tactical advantage, aslong as you're not hiding inside of a wall to do it.

First off OP "camping" is a filthy terminology used by COD squeakers, and neckbeards, so please don't use COD words around here lol. Second there's nothing wrong with using a tactical advantage, aslong as you're not hiding inside of a wall to do it.

Well as soon as someone enter a wall breach or a god mode glitch the tactic you use is irrelevant. They are then a sad piece of sh*t that was created due to a broken condom.

Edited by Semperfiman550

I just woke up, it's 3:28am EDT, last thing I need to read is someone making derogatory remarks towards me. If it wasn't directed at me, I apologize, if it was the remark I made back still stands.

Edited by SteveNYC81

-snip-

I probably could have worded that better. I didn't mean you, i meant anyone that uses a wallbreach. It's late so that wasn't a very well thought out comment from either of us.

I removed the original quote. I dislike it when people use a quote from a removed/edited messages.

Edited by Semperfiman550

I apologize then lol, it's late for you it's early for me, and I'm not a morning person. It's all good man. After my second glass of ice tea my brain starts to function better.

Edited by SteveNYC81

They must be too accustomed to First Person Shooters where camping is considered a "cheap tactic"

In GTAO, camping is actually fun, to get revenge on someone the hard way.

It's a tactic that if used predominantly and precisely, can allow you to have the upper hand and force other players to play your way, a sort of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" diversionary tactic that makes people play by your terms. It's quite useful in conjunction with map knowledge as well. Camp in a certain spot on the map, force them to come to you, use a route to spawn kill them, force them to go back there, and vice-versa.

Edited by The7thOne
  • Like 3

dVOJf7l.png

seems '' bowling '' ( a fast car with sticky bomb ) could do the job

intrestingly , '' camping '' ( remained to stay same spot ) remind me of an ace mage of a guild defeats protagonist with relative ease ( although , protagonist uses finishing move , however the ace only unscratched and takes 2 step backward )

CrysisAverted

Besides the fact that R* omitted the jumpsuit online and hasn't given us machetes to go with our hockey masks for the specific task to kill campers, nothing.

• Like 2

Camping has been legit since Goldeneye. It does seem to have picked up some negative connotations in the CoD era tho. Which is something I don't really understand - nor the notion that it's unjustified to use a sniper or rocket launcher (which is kinda the point & advantages of camping).

I like when it slows down to a more tactical battle than just a run & gun death feast..

Edit - but yea, as someone who never really did CoD I was surprised at how much hatred there is for camping, there was even a guy w/something like ih8campers in my lobby yesterday. I didn't have time to engage him unfortunately..

Edited by johndivney