2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

The New Moto X & Moto G

Flachbau

- Moto X (2014) -
moto-x-2014-2.jpg
moto-x-2014-1.jpg
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - for AT&T
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - for Europe
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile
4G Network LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for AT&T
LTE 800 / 1800 / 2600 - for Europe
LTE 700 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile
Nano-SIM

Announced September 2014
Expected release in September 2014
AMOLED, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 inches (~424 ppi pixel density), with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
No microSD/SD card slot
16/32 GB, 2 GB RAM
microUSB v2.0
13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, dual-LED flash, [email protected], HDR, primary camera
2 MP, 1080p, secondary camera
Android 4.4.4 (KitKat), upgradable to Android L
Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801
Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400
Adreno 330
Black, White colors available
Li-Ion 2300 mAh battery

- Moto G (2014) -
moto-g-2014-1.jpg
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
CDMA 800 / 1900 - CDMA version
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile, AT&T
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - USA version
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - CDMA version
Micro-SIM

Announced September 2014
Expected release in September 2014
IPS LCD, 720 x 1280 pixels, 5.0 inches (~294 ppi pixel density), with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
microSD, up to 32 GB
8/16 GB, 1 GB RAM
microUSB v2.0
8 MP, 3264 x 2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, [email protected], stereo sound rec., HDR, primary camera
2 MP secondary
Android 4.4.4 (Kitkat), upgradable to Android L
Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400
Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
Adreno 305
Non-removable Li-Ion 2070 mAh battery
Edited by Android

VWSTp.png

Still think it's a bit sh*tty the G doesn't come with a 4G chip. Aside from that they're pretty much all the phone you'd ever need.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Now kinda regret buying non-LTE SGS3...

Oh well, at least it does the job ;)

Edited by yojo2

74cXSsx.png

FranklinDeRoosevelt

Holy f*ck, that Moto X looks sexy as f*ck. Might wait for that instead of getting an S3. And those specs......How much is the Moto X going to be?

I've actually got a few options. At the moment, my plan is to upgrade from my Ace to an S3. There's a web exclusive deal on carphone warehouse for £139 which is a good price, but I also found the oneplus one, which has s5 specs, and is only about £250. Or the moto X.

Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt

The Oneplus is basically vapourware. I know a dozen or so people who've intended to get one and not a single one has managed.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

For a long time you couldn't buy OnePlusOne unles you've been invited to. Dunno how this system worked exactly, but AFAIK this invite bullsh*t has been recently ditched altogether.

Edited by yojo2

74cXSsx.png

FranklinDeRoosevelt

So they don't sell them anymore? That's just mindblowingly stupid. So what was the point of only inviting people to buy them?

It's butterfly labs all over again. Basically the only people who ever got one were reviewers.

Untitled-1.jpg

That battery on both the Motos seems disappointing though.

On the OnePlus front, there are rumours about it being launched in India. Not sure how that's going to work.

I got an invite to purchase a OnePlus One, but I never went through with it. Mostly because I have never played with it in person before. I like to do that with almost every thing I'm interested in purchasing.

As for the Moto phones, I recommended them to my father. Right now he's using a Lumia 521. I'm thinking he would like either of these.

VWSTp.png

FranklinDeRoosevelt

That battery on both the Motos seems disappointing though.

On the OnePlus front, there are rumours about it being launched in India. Not sure how that's going to work.

Well for the Moto X, it doesn't say if it's removable or not, so assuming from that, it might be removable. But yeah, the Moto G isn't replaceable and the stock battery is lower as it is.

GSMArena does not announce if the battery is removable or not, I would assume so because on the spec list it does not claim "non-removable"

VWSTp.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has noticed or not, but the new Moto X has a metal frame around the sides. I think this will work great against dangerous drops.

VWSTp.png

My new Moto X arrived yesterday. I'm coming from a disastrous experience with a Galaxy S4. Bought it for the equivalent of USD600, while the iPhone 6 is speculated to launch around here for USD1500. I'm loving this phone so far. I only disliked the camera, but hey, it's a Motorola, you never buy one of those for the camera. But anyways, so far, so good!

I can only assume your total came out to $600 USD due to taxes? Tell us how you like it when you're comfortable!

VWSTp.png

I can only assume your total came out to $600 USD due to taxes? Tell us how you like it when you're comfortable!

The original price in Brazil is R$ 1.500 (roughly USD750), and I paid R$ 1.200 (again, roughly USD600). The Moto G goes around R$ 800 (USD400). That's an excelent price for Brazil. Just so we can get some comparison:

Samsung Galaxy S4 4G = R$ 1.500 (even though it came out costing R$ 2.100)

Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB = R$ 2.300

iPhone 5S 16GB = R$ 2.100

LG G2 16GB = R$ 1.500

LG G3 16GB = R$ 2.400

Nokia Lumia 1020 = R$ 2.000

Then again, it is an excelent priced phone.

What I have to talk about the phone:

• The feel of the thing. When I bought the S4, it felt like a normal phone. It didn't feel as premium as the Moto X. It's amazingly built, and the metal frame just adds to that feel.
  • That "Moto" logo on the back is the right place to put your index figer. Seriously.
  • The screen is just gorgeous. I didn't test it in direct sunlight, but it's awesome. Dark blacks, bright whites, and true quality, even though it's a little less pixel dense than the S4 or the S5.
  • Since it's the main point of me hating the S4: I didn't feel the need to install another ROM so it fits my style. The original software is good, and all the Moto additions are pretty useful.
  • Waving at the phone or picking it up so Moto Display comes over is fan-f*cking-tastic. Moto Display is fan-f*cking-tastic.
  • Moto Voice. It's worth the price of the phone by itself. I just wish you could control Google Play Music with it, even though I think it's only regional (if I set Google Now and Android's language to en-US, it works with Google Now.)
  • The speaker is f*cking loud. I love it.
  • I miss GravityBox. There's no way to root it yet, as far as I've seen.
  • Like I said, the camera isn't the best. It records in 4K though and, for what I've seem, the Digital Stabilization on videos works wonderfully.

Conclusion? If you want to know what Android should be, get this. Seriously.

Also, about the battery life: with moderate usage (WiFi connected most of the time transfering data, lots of Moto Voice usage, a ~1h30 hour ride with bluetooth streaming audio and Moto Voice tests in my car, playing some Simpsons: Tapped Out) led me to this:

uFGmesh.png?1JAvCgWQ.png?1

Seriously, I'm loving this phone.
Edited by Gouveia