1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

don_pedro

liberty city gangs hostility,weapons etc.

TempleOfLight

Now that you mention it, I was pretty much thinking the exact same thing about gangs seeming to spawn way too close to each other and to the player to a certain extent. Don't be afraid to increase the ranges a fair amount, man. After all, you wouldn't see gangs voluntarily and casually hang out where they know lots of enemy gangs are active, haha.

Also, it just feels right from a gameplay standpoint to exploit the size of the map further and have the player drive a little bit around more if he's in the mood to shoot some heads up. Driving is such a pleasure in this game it would be a shame to cut back on it, don't you think? Nothing like driving with your homies to some good music in anticipation for a huge shootout ;)

byteMe420

the script isnt defining gang areas... nothing is integrated with the game right now, im only turning stuff on and off by menu. In the video when I set Gang War to true then it is actively making gangs attack each other on sight... additionaly i have setting turned on to spawn enemies on foot and enemies in vehicle. Without those settings on i would have to go look for gangsters the game spawns. The script is more arcade style as opposed to being integrated with the game where i would be using the known gang locations. As of now I only care about making the gangsters act the way i want... later on i can design a notoriety system or gang relationship system. Which would allow for allies or basically changing the way each gang interacts with your gang (friend or enemy)

Now gangsters dont do much other than act aggressive or ignore you so not much to tweak other than they are your friend or they are your enemy. Now the more you anger some gang i can maybe add more chance they do drivebys or something. Yeah lots of work ahead...

Edited by byteMe420

don_pedro

yeah I loved they way those gang relationships looked like in your old gang wars script - enemies invading your territory from time to time and your gang invading the enemy independently not caring if the player joins or not. That made the player just another gangbanger trying to survive on the streets. The notoriety system would be a cool thing. For example some more serious organizations like the Italians, Russians or the Triads could care less about some Spanish Lords petty street dope pushers untill one of their members is killed.

byteMe420

Also, it just feels right from a gameplay standpoint to exploit the size of the map further and have the player drive a little bit around more if he's in the mood to shoot some heads up. Driving is such a pleasure in this game it would be a shame to cut back on it, don't you think? Nothing like driving with your homies to some good music in anticipation for a huge shootout ;)

Kinda like don pedro is saying i guess eventually i do want everything to be tied into the map and known gang areas.

Hmm maybe if either of you wants, perhaps getting an image of a gta map and perhaps coloring the areas by episode by gang (so i need 3 maps...12 gangs each) then maybe i can start defining areas like in my drugwars script. I guess whoever helps I can release to them first as beta testers... don pedro and TOL already on that list so you guys dont have to do anything, only if u like to... and i thank you for the help with the cars and ped models too ;)

if that is too difficult i may write a script to record spawning data by area or something (could get complicated lol) to give me best guess... i really dont want to run around in game manually... maybe some file from the common/data folder can be used??

Edited by byteMe420

don_pedro

rockstar put the gang spawn points in popcycle.dat file (AND THEY REALLY F*UCKED UP ON THIS ONE) so they are probably permanent and the gangs have whole neighborhoods, no parts .I`ve noticed something which I`m not sure if I`m correct with but when you enter a particular hood shared by more then 1 gang from one side it will spawn one gang, but if you enter it form another side it will spawn the other gang. A good example is North Holland - when you enter it from the bridge side it will spawn AOD bikers, but when you enter from the other sides it will spawn African Americans or Uprown Ryders. I was wondering if Rockstar has made it somehow to divide those hoods. This map gave me that idea http://gtaforums.com/topic/506295-identifying-map-zones-like-manhat-and-jersey/

By the way in my opinion in most cases the gangs are placed quite well, the whole map just needs little corrections.

TempleOfLight

Actually, byte, you told me a few posts earlier the spawning system you included in the script could be turned off to rely on the game's native gang zones. Why not just edit your spawning system to make gangs spawn further away from each other without really worrying about actual turfs? This way :

- People who want a free-for-all kind of mod where any gangs can spawn all over the map can use the script-managed spawning

- And people who, like myself, wanna play the mod according to the predefined popcycle zones can just turn your spawning system off and rely on the built-in game mechanics.

Sounds flexible enough to please most people who'll get their hands on it, and should save you a whole lot of hard, unnecessary work, haha. What do you think? :)

Edited by TempleOfLight

don_pedro

Actually, byte, you told me a few posts earlier the spawning system you included in the script could be turned off to rely on the game's native gang zones. Why not just edit your spawning system to make gangs spawn further away from each other without really worrying about actual turfs? This way :

- People who want a free-for-all kind of mod where any gangs can spawn all over the map can use the script-managed spawning

- And people who, like myself, wanna play the mod according to the predefined popcycle zones can just turn your spawning system off and rely on the built-in game mechanics.

Sounds flexible enough to please most people who'll get their hands on it, and should save you a whole lot of hard, unnecessary work, haha. What do you think? :)

dude I think the spawning part is more about rival gang atacks on the player and his gang, so normal spawn zones should still exist as a regular turf owned by a particular gang. I have a simmilar view on that but come on man, there`s nothing better than ducking and dodging bullets in the heart of your territory (well maybe just from time to time) :p so them mof*ckers can ambush you in a place you least expect

Edited by don_pedro

byteMe420

First I will say, what you see in the vids is me just turning stuff on and off, specifically what I call "Gang War" (Makes opposing gangs that see each other fight) and "DriveBys" (Enemy Gang Vehicles Spawns that drive towards player) and "Ground Invasion" (Enemy Gang on foot Spawns that run towards player). So I am just showing off battles. Nothing in these videos are showing how I want the world to be when you are just freeroaming. At this point we are talking about how we want the world to be and I just have a bunch of functionality disposable via menu, nothing more. The vids are just battle demos you could say ;)

Nothing is in stone and your ideas are welcomed and considered ;)

That was my video disclaimers so u know what u saw is not what the final version will be like... it will be what the wars look like though :) I do like your idea to use the predefined areas and that actually is my intention but I need to define the areas in my script so I can inform my script depending which territory you are in

dude I think the spawning part is more about rival gang atacks on the player and his gang, so normal spawn zones should still exist as a regular turf owned by a particular gang. I have a simmilar view on that but come on man, there`s nothing better than ducking and dodging bullets in the heart of your territory (well maybe just from time to time) :p so them mof*ckers can ambush you in a place you least expect

i do want to redo what i did in drugwars like if you go and piss another gang off then more than likely they will pay your gang area a visit and attack... so redo a notoriety system and likewise notify the player when other gangs attack you so you can pay them back.

Edited by byteMe420

TempleOfLight

That was my video disclaimers so u know what u saw is not what the final version will be like... it will be what the wars look like though :) I do like your idea to use the predefined areas and that actually is my intention but I need to define the areas in my script so I can inform my script depending which territory you are in

Ah, makes sense, obviously. You basically want to specify which zones belong to which gangs without actually looking in the popcycle.dat file for ped density at script execution, right? Sounds like a nice way to save memory and time. I'm not exactly sure the scripthook even has the ability to look for information in the actual game files, haha. I'm assuming turf distribution will be editable via the built-in trainer or an INI file, right? I was thinking about how folks out there with edited popcycles and what not would hate to be stuck with the vanilla distribution no matter what, haha.

That notoriety system sounds absolutely f*cking lovely, by the way. What would be more fitting in a game that revolves about revenge than having got a bounty on your head for having attacked the wrong people? Reminds me of what Vladdy boy said at the beginning of the game... "People who f*ck with me get f*cked with!" Can't wait to have the opportunity to try this myself. You're not making this easy, though... The more I hear about your work on this, the more I feel like a child waiting for Christmas, god damnit, haha. Don't be afraid to take as long as you need, though. I know you don't go around releasing half-finished scripts just for the sake of shutting impatient people up, and that's a good thing ;)

byteMe420

Ah, makes sense, obviously. You basically want to specify which zones belong to which gangs without actually looking in the popcycle.dat file for ped density at script execution, right? Sounds like a nice way to save memory and time. I'm not exactly sure the scripthook even has the ability to look for information in the actual game files, haha. I'm assuming turf distribution will be editable via the built-in trainer or an INI file, right? I was thinking about how folks out there with edited popcycles and what not would hate to be stuck with the vanilla distribution no matter what, haha.

That notoriety system sounds absolutely f*cking lovely, by the way. What would be more fitting in a game that revolves about revenge than having got a bounty on your head for having attacked the wrong people? Reminds me of what Vladdy boy said at the beginning of the game... "People who f*ck with me get f*cked with!" Can't wait to have the opportunity to try this myself. You're not making this easy, though... The more I hear about your work on this, the more I feel like a child waiting for Christmas, god damnit, haha. Don't be afraid to take as long as you need, though. I know you don't go around releasing half-finished scripts just for the sake of shutting impatient people up, and that's a good thing ;)

Yes it is easier to just define the areas in the script itself than read from a file and load the parsed data and define stuff in my script. i actually have never even looked at the popcycle.dat closely before and i have no idea how the info is laid out or if even anything useful i could make sense of. i dont think i will be editing turf distribution as i dont have a way to edit the loaded popcycle so peds will spawn where people's popcycle says they will spawn. My mod will influence how peds act and if my script knows who's turf you are in i can use that to do certain things. Just an idea and maybe it might not even be important to use turfs as im not editing popcyles... i dont know just thinking at this point. I do want to know turfs for notification type stuff at least.

Edited by byteMe420

Ricebox

Oh man this thread has been a fun read.

Byte, why not have the noteriety system boil down to "if player kills x number of

1. then player recieves y reaction for [gang group]"?

For instance, if the player kills 13 of any of the models defined as the chinese mafia (while on a mission or otherwise) then the player will be allowed to travel through albanian territory without any reprocutions. Killing more chinese means albanians are more likely to randomly form a posse around you at any given time (and the chinese are more likely to ambush you and start fights on albanian turf.)

Here's a video describing some of what I had in mind (00:10-00:39 specifically):

Edited by Ricebox

B Dawg
*Long list of vehicles for gang vehicles*

Why not have the Slamvan and Gang Buritto in use for the Biker gangs instead of the Cavalcade and the Moonbeam in TLAD? It makes far more sense that way. Why would bikers use everyday vans instead of their own dedicated vehicles?

TLAD:

X CAVALCADE - Gang_Biker1

X MOONBEAM - Gang_Biker1

+ SLAMVAN - Gang_Biker1

+ GBURRITO - Gang_Biker1

+ DUKES - Gang_Biker1

VIGERO - Gang_Biker1

STALION - Gang_Biker1

WOLFSBANE - Gang_Biker1

REVENANT - Gang_Biker1

NIGHTBLADE - Gang_Biker1

LYCAN - Gang_Biker1

HEXER - Gang_Biker1

ZOMBIEB - Gang_Biker1

DIABOLUS - Gang_Biker1

DAEMON - Gang_Biker1

ANGEL - Gang_Biker1

X CAVALCADE - Gang_Biker2

X MOONBEAM - Gang_Biker2

+ SLAMVAN - Gang_Biker2

+ GBURRITO - Gang_Biker2

+ DUKES - Gang_Biker2

VIGERO - Gang_Biker2

STALION - Gang_Biker2

WOLFSBANE - Gang_Biker2

REVENANT - Gang_Biker2

NIGHTBLADE - Gang_Biker2

LYCAN - Gang_Biker2

HEXER - Gang_Biker2

ZOMBIEB - Gang_Biker2

DIABOLUS - Gang_Biker2

DAEMON - Gang_Biker2

ANGEL - Gang_Biker2

Edited by B Dawg

TempleOfLight

^ This, actually. The only reason why I left the Slamvan out of the TLAD car list was because I was mainly looking for 4-doors in the beginning of writing this, and I forgot the Gang Burrito existed in the first place, haha. I think you can add this without any second thoughts, byte. Should help it look even better than it does now ;)

byteMe420

ok cool sounds like ill edit the vehicles for tlad biker gangs, thanks B Dawg!

@Ricebox, I like the sound of killing one gang to make another gang like you more. I think I will try to start setting something like that up. Thanks for the ideas.

don_pedro

ok so here`s a list of potential gang turfs, I did start a map but I think I used one which would require some permission from its creator for me to paste it here. I tried to be as lore friendly and at the same time as rational as I could. This one covers only GTA 4 gangs. Feel free to edit etc.

http://pastebin.com/DvRpm9zU

Byte, why not have the noteriety system boil down to "if player kills x number of

For instance, if the player kills 13 of any of the models defined as the chinese mafia (while on a mission or otherwise) then the player will be allowed to travel through albanian territory without any reprocutions. Killing more chinese means albanians are more likely to randomly form a posse around you at any given time (and the chinese are more likely to ambush you and start fights on albanian turf.)

Here's a video describing some of what I had in mind (00:10-00:39 specifically):

great idea, but that would require a system of relationships where each gang has at least one enemy from the start
Here is an example with some justification:

Albanians vs. Koreans (in Chinatown Wars Little Bay is occupied by Koreans)

Lost vs. AoD (the reasons are obvious :D)

Italians vs. Triad (both big fishes, could rival on many criminal fields, for example extortion)

Russians 1 - Irish (maybe arms trade)

Russians 2 - Jamaicans (Real Badman had some beef with Russians)

MOB - Spanish Lords (both big in numbers but little organized and poorly armed)

byteMe420

ok so here`s a list of potential gang turfs, I did start a map but I think I used one which would require some permission from its creator for me to paste it here. I tried to be as lore friendly and at the same time as rational as I could. This one covers only GTA 4 gangs. Feel free to edit etc.

http://pastebin.com/DvRpm9zU

great idea, but that would require a system of relationships where each gang has at least one enemy from the start

Here is an example with some justification:

Albanians vs. Koreans (in Chinatown Wars Little Bay is occupied by Koreans)

Lost vs. AoD (the reasons are obvious :D)

Italians vs. Triad (both big fishes, could rival on many criminal fields, for example extortion)

Russians 1 - Irish (maybe arms trade)

Russians 2 - Jamaicans (Real Badman had some beef with Russians)

MOB - Spanish Lords (both big in numbers but little organized and poorly armed)

you can PM the map if you want, i dont plan to use it just get info from it but if the creator is against it I wont insist.

Ricebox

Christ the modding boards have been all kinds of f*cked up recently. The videos relating to the mod have all been taken down so I guess the project's dead?

Jitnaught

Christ the modding boards have been all kinds of f*cked up recently.

I liked them how they were before -_-

Noox

Christ the modding boards have been all kinds of f*cked up recently.

I liked them how they were before -_-

Whoever decided this went full retard since 3D era gta games have completely different languages.

TJGM

Christ the modding boards have been all kinds of f*cked up recently. The videos relating to the mod have all been taken down so I guess the project's dead?

And that has so much to do with this topic.. /sarcasm

Edited by TJGM