2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge Announced

Nick1020

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 -

samsung-galaxy-note-4-01.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-4-02.jpg

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
Micro-SIM

Announced 2014, September
Status Coming soon. Exp. release 2014, Q4

Super AMOLED, 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.7 inches (~515 ppi pixel density), Corning Gorilla Glass 3

microSD, up to 64 GB

32 GB, 3 GB RAM

microUSB v2.0

16 MP, 3456 x 4608 pixels, optical image stabilization, autofocus, LED flash, [email protected], [email protected]

3.7 MP, [email protected] front facing camera

Android 4.4.4 (KitKat)

Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 (SM-N910S)
Exynos 5433 (SM-N910C)
Quad-core 2.7 GHz Krait 450 (SM-N910S)
Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & 1.9GHz quad-core Cortex-A57 (SM-N910C)

GPU Adreno 420 (SM-N910S)
Mali-T760 (SM-N910C)

Frosted white, Charcoal black, Bronze Gold, Blossom Pink

3,220 mAh battery

Edited by Android

VWSTp.png

- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge -

samsung-galaxy-note-edge-01.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-edge-02.jpg

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
Micro-SIM

Announced 2014, September
Coming soon. Exp. release 2014, Q4

Super AMOLED, 1600 x 2560 pixels, 5.6 inches (~524 ppi pixel density), Corning Gorilla Glass 3 w/ curved Edge screen

microSD, up to 64 GB
32/64 GB, 3 GB RAM

microUSB v2.0

16 MP, 3456 x 4608 pixels, optical image stabilization, autofocus, LED flash - [email protected], [email protected]

3.7 MP, [email protected] front facing camera

Android 4.4.4 (KitKat)

Qualcomm Snapdragon 805
Exynos 5433
CPU Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 450 (Snapdragon)
Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & quad-core Cortex-A57 (Exynos)

GPU Adreno 420 (Snapdragon)
Mali-T760 (Exynos)

Li-Ion 3,000 mAh battery

Edited by Android

VWSTp.png

I like the Edge, must be from their flexible display that was demo a couple of years ago. But there are those who don't really take care of them and sooner or later, they're going to get dropped with the front glass cracked.

I didn't mean to steal your thunder, so please don't take it that way :) All I did was list specs.

VWSTp.png

Android, I'll reply to your other post in here seeing as though there's now a topic:

That Edge doesn't really grab my attention, what is the curved portion of the phone used for?

The Note 4 looks really nice, and I like how it comes in two new colors this time around. I don't think I will get these devices, because I already upgraded two weeks ago. I will most likely visit my local T-Mobile store when it releases, though.

No word on the price, huh?

Basically the second side adds a bit of functionality to most things. For example, in general use it'll provide you with a list of current apps so you can switch easier and when you open the camera app it'll act as space for all the options, leaving the screen nice and clear. It has more features but I can't remember them right now. It seems like a great idea and I love the phone, but after having my Note 3 for some time I'm not sure I want to stick with Samsung.

The Note 4 design looks good, if not a dramatic departure from the Note 3. The S Pen function seems to be markedly improved and has features akin to that of a mouse, something I think they missed with the first iteration.

As for prices, I haven't seen anything, but I imagine they'll be around the £500-600 mark with the Note Edge being a little more (I hope that's not the case, but it seems likely).

I have to add to all this by saying that I'm disappointed that neither of the devices are waterproof. That's quite a useful feature for many people and it's definitely something that makes me want to look elsewhere.

Edit: Here's a decent little overview of the Note Edge:

@ Stinky12: That's a risk that comes with any phone. Lord knows I'm terrified of breaking mine. It's simply down to the owner being responsible. Hopefully, things like Sapphire glass will become commonplace and we'll end up with much tougher phones.

Edited by GreatGig

Dudesig.png

esmittystud101

That phone is a beast. Not sure if I would get the curved one or not, would probably get a nice screen protector for it, but with the curve that thing better stick good the first time. I got the new Invisashield glass by Zagg. Really nice screen protector, its $40, but it outlasts those cheap ones they have at the phone stores. Mine is still as shinny as the day I bought it if you use a micro fiber cloth. Outlast also meaning, if I can't see your screen very well and it looks like something is growing on it, try to wipe it off and it still looks like crap, to me that means its shot. LOL. But I'm also someone that can't stand to see a crack in someones screen. So many of my friends have cracked screens on all different kinds of model phones. I guess were all a little OCD on certain things. Mine is just electronics mostly. But the Note 4 looks like it will be another hit just like the ones before it. They are miles ahead of the competition, well atleast one brand that I can think of.

Ah, MKBHD, what hasn't he made a video for? :p

As for the Edge, it looks like a really neat device! I don't think I would ever use it as my every day cellular device, but it has such a very cool concept. It looks pretty thin, too. I don't like how the glass peaks out a little bit, though.

Is the back cover still made out of the faux leather? It has a different texture this time.

VWSTp.png

As far as I know, the back is made of the same, if not similar, material. After having the Note 3 for some time, I have to say that I wish they had changed it. The grip is awful. Although, I have the white version whereas my brother-in-law has the black and that one seems to have better grip. Not sure what's going on there, but there is a slight difference. Still, as someone who constantly has a case attached, it doesn't really make a difference.

I agree that it's a cool concept but I think I'd love it as an every day device. It's just a shame that the rest of the device isn't as appealing. For instance, having the speaker at the bottom is really annoying. My hand tends to rest just next to it so the sound is often muffled or distorted in some way. I had a look at the HTC One M8 a while ago and the stereo speaker (well, either end on the front of the phone), the sound is so much better. It's this simple thing, along with metallic materials, that makes me want to switch to HTC in the future.

As for MKBHD, he's like Linus Sebastian. They're my go-to guys for anything tech-related on YouTube. Very informative and very well presented.

Dudesig.png

One major reason why I chose the GS5 over the Note 3 is because of that back cover. I'm not a big fan of it. I'd like to see something different. I would love to see them use the GS5 back cover on a lot of other devices, but they'll just be criticized.

VWSTp.png

Hmmm, shouldn't the screen be curved on the left side of the phone, rather than on the right? It'd make more sense to me...

74cXSsx.png

@ Stinky12: That's a risk that comes with any phone. Lord knows I'm terrified of breaking mine. It's simply down to the owner being responsible. Hopefully, things like Sapphire glass will become commonplace and we'll end up with much tougher phones.

Being responsible is one thing, there are some with those I don't care attitude then no matter how responsible they think they are, their phones are bound to get dropped sooner or later. Accidents do happen and I understand but if making the same mistake twice, then it's not a accident, It's call being careless. If you want to protect your phone, then get a rugged case. Most people think those phones are really cheap but they're not. They are cheap is because of the 2 year agreeement/activation that most will sign up with, without that, the same phone will cost a lot more. The cheapest over here is from Sprint a Samsung Galaxy S5 with 2 year agreement/activation is $99, other place have it for $199. Buying the phone without any agreement, then the phone will cost $600 and Walmart has a unlock version for almost $800.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/samsung_galaxy_s5/

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s5-price-19999-contract-59999-outright

http://www.walmart.com/ip/35814336?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedItemId=35814339&adid=22222222227024420734&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40300202672&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78267129872&veh=sem

I doubt Sapphire will protect phone's glass from drops, most likey scratches. I had mentioned before their Note Edge uses their flexible display, it would be amazing with anyone manages to break that!

Samsung Flexible display demo @ CES 2013

Edited by Stinky12

@esmittystud101: nah, I'm right handed. It's just that looking at it, I can't help feeling it'd be more comfortable to use if it was made the other way. I could be wrong though, it's hard to judge the usability by pictures/videos alone.

74cXSsx.png