Grand Theft Auto IV Beta Hunt

henry_™

nnxnnennxnnnex
2 hours ago, DOUGL4S1 said:

Was this leaked along with the GTA V stuff? If so, that leak just got interesting to me, what other Beta stuff will we be able to find?

Edit: found the original tweet, it seems like this was paired with Max Payne 3's files:

This seems to be a higher res version of the map featured in some cars and boats' dashboards.

Edit edit: maybe this wasn't a Beta map per se, but a super late concept map. There is little to no proof the 4-runway airport was ever modelled in-game (other than plane paths' following the 4 runway direction), Liberty Island is absent and there is generally a ton of oddities with the coastlines.

I think it's an very early map, like that V map from the leak. Airport layout probably was changed before it was even modelled. Some roads are white, maybe they are the modelled/finished ones?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nnxnnennxnnnex said:

I think it's an very early map, like that V map from the leak. Airport layout probably was changed before it was even modelled. Some roads are white, maybe they are the modelled/finished ones?

It could be, but what I'm really hoping for is some new screenshots from GTA IV Beta, that would be fun.

It's pretty interesting because his final game model has the "1979" tattoo visible, but its model gets cut off below that. The tattoo can still be seen on the textures for his model tho.

Would be fun to browse the files but there are so many scams and viruses going around lol, and I don't want to have T2 agents at my door any time soon.

Edited by DOUGL4S1

7 hours ago, nnxnnennxnnnex said:

White roads in the map are bridges/elevated roads/skyways.

Interestingly enough, Algonquin Bridge isn't white in this map. Even Greene Avenue, the little bridge connecting Industrial and Boulevard in Bohan is white.

• Like 3

nnxnnennxnnnex
11 hours ago, Pashaforever said:

White roads in the map are bridges/elevated roads/skyways.

Interestingly enough, Algonquin Bridge isn't white in this map. Even Greene Avenue, the little bridge connecting Industrial and Boulevard in Bohan is white.

White roads are elevated and also they have other roads under them. Because of that Algonquin and some other bridges are not white.

• Like 2

I found an unused artwork of Luis holding the AA-12 in the TBoGT files in the PS3 version.

I tried running a reverse search, but couldn't find it anywhere else. This may very well be the first time this artwork sees the light of day.

spacer.png

Based on the other files, my theory is that there was supposed to be an in-game store in the 'Game' section of the Pause Menu, as evidenced by the orange-tinted PlayStation Store sprite.

spacer.png

I tried Xbox 360 version once, and it has a 'Marketplace' option that "dims" the game and brings up the Marketplace interface, where you can download DLCs or trailers, and that's about it.

But I can confirm that currently, such functionality is absent in the PS3 version. The only options are New Game, Load Game, and Autosave only; not even an option that calls the native PS3 store interface.

Also, notice the speaker setup icons. They are orange tinted like IV vanilla menu, and that's how they appear in-game in the menus in TLaD and TBoGT, contradicting the red and pink themes respectively.

If you look in the PC version, these same icons are colored correctly.
spacer.pngspacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

H-G here with another Michelle-related find. See this artwork?

gtaiv06.jpg

Notice the hair closely. Now if we just delete all hair-related material in Michelle's 3D model:

tsJhoSQ.png

Her BETA hairstyle is still there, welded onto the top of her head but obscured by the final hairstyle. Even Michelle's 3D model is a liar, damn...

I have this thing working in-game, and hopefully I might release it soon. Just need to sort out some .scos to make the glasses appear.

Edited by H-G

An update on the Michelle situation:

bNNkxHH.png

Unused in-game-exclusive glasses ported to work in cutscenes too. I think now we have enough info on Michelle to fully restore her character to it's originally intended state (very short hair, round face, glasses, apartment in East Hook).

Edited by H-G

universetwisters

Stupid question, but beta Willard? Found it in the WANING WITH THE STARS commercial. It might actually be a beta Esperanto but it looks quite different, like the headlights are bigger or something

cEJgYPC.png

kzV4Ppj.png

It's also got this, which I can't really identify (even with flipping it upside down)

uMsne1h.png

And idk if it's just me but the Sanchez looks like a completely different vehicle

rRn4F5k.png

sTgL5iS.png

Second picture from first looks similar to Roman's Taxi car with different front lights.

For the picture with up side down, it seems like Blista Compact or Futo. 

Anyway I can agree with other pictures.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:17 AM, universetwisters said:

It's also got this, which I can't really identify (even with flipping it upside down)

uMsne1h.png

It's a Willard, and the first vehicle is an Esperanto (maybe even a Roman's Cab, it's hard to identify but it looks to have 2 people inside who might actually be Niko and Roman lol)

Edited by DOUGL4S1
  • Like 1

gunziness

My guess is that was intencional because of all hats its the one that most fit her, it's not hard to believe they put that extra efford to add that cool detail in this game.

Edited by gunziness

• 2 weeks later...

In case if anyone wants it, Karen Daniels Compact is out now:

I also made this post to show this hidden second floor in the lobby of the United Liberty Paper offices. Not exactly BETA content, but more like hidden content that feels a bit... "purposefully"-ish locked away beyond access:

Untitled.png

There's this little cubicle with a guy working at his desk in here (notice the lack of screen on the laptop - and no, it's not the glass door causing alpha transparency issues):

Untitled2.png

And that's about it:

Untitled3.png

This proves that the ULP offices were meant to be a little more than just a faux and inaccessible interior. I mean, the whole interior has complete collision mapped out, peds spawn inside it, there are properly-working doors etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This building model in Hove Beach where they originally had a Cluckin' Bell still has the same geometry layout/pologons there for the windows and entrance. They just filled it and slapped a new texture over the bottom.

• Like 19

The "CAN_AIM_WITH_ARM" flag carried over from the old Trilogy games and it works properly with all weapons, apparently:

Now if only someone would be kind enough to do a one-handed shoot animation for IV, that's all it needs...

We all know that the in-game LCPD website in IV has a database containing criminal records of most characters with their ages specified and such.
But there's some interesting stuff in the "pedpersonality.dat" file, it defines each story ped's behavior based on an "age" value and all the values in there don't match with what the databases say, plus there are some characters who don't have a criminal record at all.

So if we dig into this file, we can find who was originally supposed to be how much old and basically retrieve hidden and BETA ages of all characters from here:

- Roman and Brucie are both defined as 34 years old while Niko and Darko are just flat 30.
- Mallorie is 29 and Michelle is apparently just 27 (this is probably the only real piece of evidence about Michelle's age).
- Kate is 33 (she's older than Niko lmfao), Derrick is only two years older than Francis (who is 45) instead of 53 and their mother, Maureen McReary, is 67 instead of 73.
- Anna Faustin is 20, meanwhile Jason Micheals is more than a decade older than her (the f*ck kinda relationship is that?).

- Marnie Allen is apparently 21 even though she's supposed to be middle-aged.
- Eddie Low is 48 but the LCPD records say he's around 30 (don't remember exactly).
- Little Jacob is 26, so I guess he's literally "little". Real Badman is also hardly a year older than him.
- Manny "the streets mane" Escuela is 35 years old! His age is on par with Johnny Klebitz, Dwayne Forge and some guy called "cs_edthemate" used in the intro cutscene.

- Aiden O'Malley and Ray Bulgarin are both 50 while Jimmy Pegorino tops both of their ages with one extra year.
- That fat bartender guy in Vlad's bar named Mickey is apparently just 29 despite having white hair.
- Dusty Cowpoke (that guy who pretends to be a cowboy in one of the shows at Perestroika) is 24, no wonder he's got no talent lol.
- "French" Tom Rivas from "Out of the Closet" is defined twice in the files with two identical models, one is 29 and the other is 32 (make up your mind, R*!).

- The undercover cop named Charlie from "Blow Your Cover" and "Buyer's Market" is 28.
- Gracie is supposed to be 30 but is set to be 32 (still older than Niko lol).
- Clay in TLAD is 45 while Jim Fitzgerald is just 39 (...seriously).
- The TLAD-exclusive model for Jason is magically "young"-ified to be just 25 years old (well done, R*, new levels of stupidity every minute).

- 90% of TBOGT's cast is 45 years old! (Armando, Henrique, Brucie, Mori, Mr. Santos, Troy, Rocco, Dessie, Monique, Gracie, Daisy, Cloe Parker, Margot, DJ Paul, Joni etc.)
- TBOGT takes place 3 years, 7 years and somehow 10 years too at the same time after IV and TLAD's stories because Niko and Luis are now 33 and Johnny is 45 (epic paradox!).
- Ray Bulgarin used anti-aging products in TBOGT and reduced his age from 50 to 29 just for this DLC (what did he use? Lipurgex?).
- Luis' story ped model has the highest chance of getting jeered at by other peds (but AFAIK female peds can't jeer at male ones due lack of voice lines? IDK).

Edited by H-G

Double-post, I know, but some cool stuff up in here. Remember how aiming with the M16 in GTA 3 brought up a basic first-person view? It's still in GTA IV and can be added back in:

Edited by H-G

It's been a while since I posted my finds here, but that doesn't mean I had nothing to post. Anyway, this post is going to be about beta clothes and all sorts of finds in clothes.img
First of all, I’ll say that I did an analysis of beta clothes textures almost a year ago, and it was a mod for my workshop, so in order to not make this post even more big with this stuff, I’ll leave a link in which I made a comparison for almost all clothes textures (I forgot about sweaters from Modo).
In short, all beta textures in that comparison are textures from clothing stores, and as an example that these are beta textures, I made comparison for one of them
8zJbkvX.png

Now moving to the new things, starting with something unfinished and completely unused, a model called cj_cheap_j_single
m6VYSdA.png
left picture is how it looked before, right is after my attempt to fix it
In the game there is only radial with jeans that is used in russian clothes store, maybe this single model was used initially, or it was never used and was left in files.

Next unfinished thing is rucksack
PYBzne1.png
gb_rucksack02 is used on Pegorino's Pride mission, I guess gb_rucksack01 was just an earlier version of it.

Here I will go a little away from the clothes.img finds and discuss another thing related to this rucksack. Previously I made a post about possible earlier version of rucksack for Pegorino, but I completely missed this one, which also has texture leftover.
6jYC2bV.png
upper part is from cutscene Pegorino model, bottom is from in-game model.
Who knows why these rucksack textures was left in Pegorino's cutscene model, even tho cutscene model is not used during the deal, so what's the rucksacks textures for? I may assume that at some point this orange rucksack was used by everyone who was involved in that deal, including Niko.
In final game we have a mix between orange and brown rucksacks during this deal. This is what I wanted to share, back to the clothes.img finds

I guess everyone knows that in russian clothing store there is a track top that is not available for purchase (you know, the one with racing flag on front). After some time, another version of track top was posted here, which was found in Ashley's apartment, so yeah I decided to look for more stuff about these track tops.
In final game we can buy track top in navy, maroon and green colors, however maroon in clothes.img is named as burg_green
Vt3WoVp.png

First and only thing that came to my mind is these early screenshots of Niko, where some kind of green track top can be seen
3357_gtaiv_broker_full_auto.jpg
3358_gtaiv_broker_dawn_cherkov.jpg

You may think that this is beta look for leather jacket, but nope their models are different and this screenshot is good example
3353_gtaiv_broker_elevated_tracks.jpg

It's clearly seen that on these early screenshots there was another leather jacket, but in combination with track top model, however track tops was also existed back then as a separate model
3348_gtaiv_niko_bellic_heckler.jpg
So in result there was different model for leather jacket, with combination of track top, texture of which probably lost forever, and since it had some green color, could this mean that this texture had any connections with burg_green? I think the question remains open, but this is the only clue I managed to find.

Next find about track tops is after I collected all of them, I noticed that one is missing.
7MXF3sK.png

You can see that some of them are just copies of the others, just in different colors, but where is 03 variation? The only different looking texture I could find is specular one
xSZMojB.png
It has lines like 02 version, but it has no separation for two colors, so it could be solid and had completely different color? or it was just basic model that was used to make other variations? Again, this is not a direct proof of possible removed variation, so we can only guess what really could be there.

clothes.img also contains changes related to accessories, and once again confirms that R* planned to add texture variation for hats and glasses, starting with the hats
8rTSAwI.png
5c3ew37.png
Alright so gb_cap_use is an unused cap that Niko can try on, final game uses only gb_cap04, same thing with russian hat.
What this mean is probably idea about hats variation meant to work the same way as other clothes do, you saw an option you interested and try it on, with glasses you probably had to scroll until you find a suitable option, and only thing about glasses I found is this model called specs_use
dAui38b.png

I guess you noticed that both models with _use name in it are not used in game, could this mean that these two models were created for testing purposes only and no models with variations existed? Here's this thing
dL0ndQH.png
gb_cap03 is a gb_cap04 but with price ticket on it, same with gb_capruss01.
How I see situation here is there was models for gb_cap01 and gb_cap02 with price ticket on it, and after gb_cap04 should be gb_cap05 and gb_cap06 that Niko could try on, and this is how variation may work. It looks like R* really tried to implement variation, but something went wrong.

For whatever reason, in clothes.img there is a model called gb_gag01
mf42YdH.png
left is the one that is used in game, right is gb_gag01
Gag that is used in final game are embedded inside character model, but this one exist as a separate model, not connected with anything. Maybe it was created and left unused in result, or it had some other purposes.

And last but maybe not really beta thing is prop version of doctor's outfit
YwqIC0i.png

Only difference here is in pants texture, here's comparison with final one
5uSC4vi.png
I could think that it was beta pants for this outfit, until I found character who has exactly same pants texture.

C1aude_III
On 2/12/2024 at 8:49 PM, H-G said:

Double-post, I know, but some cool stuff up in here. Remember how aiming with the M16 in GTA 3 brought up a basic first-person view? It's still in GTA IV and can be added back in:

The first person flag is literally used for snipers and specifically the ones that have scope textures, the idea of it being unused is false.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:12 PM, H-G said:

We all know that the in-game LCPD website in IV has a database containing criminal records of most characters with their ages specified and such.
But there's some interesting stuff in the "pedpersonality.dat" file, it defines each story ped's behavior based on an "age" value and all the values in there don't match with what the databases say, plus there are some characters who don't have a criminal record at all.

So if we dig into this file, we can find who was originally supposed to be how much old and basically retrieve hidden and BETA ages of all characters from here:

- Roman and Brucie are both defined as 34 years old while Niko and Darko are just flat 30.
- Mallorie is 29 and Michelle is apparently just 27 (this is probably the only real piece of evidence about Michelle's age).
- Kate is 33 (she's older than Niko lmfao), Derrick is only two years older than Francis (who is 45) instead of 53 and their mother, Maureen McReary, is 67 instead of 73.
- Anna Faustin is 20, meanwhile Jason Micheals is more than a decade older than her (the f*ck kinda relationship is that?).

- Marnie Allen is apparently 21 even though she's supposed to be middle-aged.
- Eddie Low is 48 but the LCPD records say he's around 30 (don't remember exactly).
- Little Jacob is 26, so I guess he's literally "little". Real Badman is also hardly a year older than him.
- Manny "the streets mane" Escuela is 35 years old! His age is on par with Johnny Klebitz, Dwayne Forge and some guy called "cs_edthemate" used in the intro cutscene.

- Aiden O'Malley and Ray Bulgarin are both 50 while Jimmy Pegorino tops both of their ages with one extra year.
- That fat bartender guy in Vlad's bar named Mickey is apparently just 29 despite having white hair.
- Dusty Cowpoke (that guy who pretends to be a cowboy in one of the shows at Perestroika) is 24, no wonder he's got no talent lol.
- "French" Tom Rivas from "Out of the Closet" is defined twice in the files with two identical models, one is 29 and the other is 32 (make up your mind, R*!).

- The undercover cop named Charlie from "Blow Your Cover" and "Buyer's Market" is 28.
- Gracie is supposed to be 30 but is set to be 32 (still older than Niko lol).
- Clay in TLAD is 45 while Jim Fitzgerald is just 39 (...seriously).
- The TLAD-exclusive model for Jason is magically "young"-ified to be just 25 years old (well done, R*, new levels of stupidity every minute).

- 90% of TBOGT's cast is 45 years old! (Armando, Henrique, Brucie, Mori, Mr. Santos, Troy, Rocco, Dessie, Monique, Gracie, Daisy, Cloe Parker, Margot, DJ Paul, Joni etc.)
- TBOGT takes place 3 years, 7 years and somehow 10 years too at the same time after IV and TLAD's stories because Niko and Luis are now 33 and Johnny is 45 (epic paradox!).
- Ray Bulgarin used anti-aging products in TBOGT and reduced his age from 50 to 29 just for this DLC (what did he use? Lipurgex?).
- Luis' story ped model has the highest chance of getting jeered at by other peds (but AFAIK female peds can't jeer at male ones due lack of voice lines? IDK).

I like to also add that most of the ages written in pedpersonality are just not accurate as the devs just wrote the file with no attention to detail as you mentioned with tbogt most of them have 45 which already shows they just copied over the values and changed their names is all, infact some peds have missing pedpersonality values while also there is beta peds still in the file like ig_ricky, ig_baz, ig_jeremy among others

Edited by C1aude_III
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Attramet said:

and once again confirms that R* planned to add texture variation for hats and glasses

They did add them, just not the ability to scroll through them. Only doable via mod menu.

2 hours ago, C1aude_III said:

The first person flag is literally used for snipers and specifically the ones that have scope textures, the idea of it being unused is false.

Yeah, I thought the IV snipers had hardcoded scope aim properties like in the 3D-era GTA games, sorry about that.

Sorry for double-post, but I was looking at Margot's suicide note textures from TBOGT, and it's actually a law firm's notice that reveals Margot's hidden surname; "Summon" (or maybe it's supposed to be "Summers"? IDK, the text quality is messed up):

m96Nmjq.png

vwjosyP.png

You'll probably have to download both images to your PC and zoom in onto the text with an image editor if you want to make it comprehensible. The notice basically claims that the suicide incident happened "last week", it was logged on the law firm as an "intentional act" committed by a certain "Luis Caulprish(? IDK what it is, it's spelled wrong but it's most definitely Luis' BETA surname)" and that they have a witness in place, thus they are fully prepared to refer to a tout at law over this.

Edited by H-G

NightmanCometh96
13 hours ago, H-G said:

Sorry for double-post, but I was looking at Margot's suicide note textures from TBOGT, and it's actually a law firm's notice that reveals Margot's hidden surname; "Summon" (or maybe it's supposed to be "Summers"? IDK, the text quality is messed up):

m96Nmjq.png

vwjosyP.png

You'll probably have to download both images to your PC and zoom in onto the text with an image editor if you want to make it comprehensible. The notice basically claims that the suicide incident happened "last week", it was logged on the law firm as an "intentional act" committed by a certain "Luis Caulprish(? IDK what it is, it's spelled wrong but it's most definitely Luis' BETA surname)" and that they have a witness in place, thus they are fully prepared to refer to a tout at law over this.

I zoomed in on my laptop; her surname definitely seems to be "Summers" and not "Summon". It's tough to tell due to the low resolution, but I have a Chrome extension installed that "unblurs" images (it's mainly meant for low-res pixel art/spritework, but that's neither here nor there), which made the text slightly more legible. EDIT: However, I couldn't make out Luis's beta surname for the life of me.:sadkek:

Edited by NightmanCometh96

I was browsing Google Images for some Pfister Comet screenshots and came upon this screenshot from what appears to be the beta version of the game. What I found interesting is that the Pfister and Comet badges seem to be much larger than in the final version of the game. The beta model also lacks the vents at the back.

Might've already been posted here but I thought I'd share it.

feIvCex.jpeg

X0EQf40.png

universetwisters
On 2/20/2024 at 10:12 AM, H-G said:

"Luis Caulprish(? IDK what it is, it's spelled wrong but it's most definitely Luis' BETA surname)"

Idk hoss imma have to disagree; not only it would be foolish to try and change Luis' surname that far into TBOGT's development (keep in mind Luis' last name is already mentioned in IV's police database as well as the topic of speculation before TBOGT was announced) but also consider the fact that, if they would've put forth the effort to write out a letter that you would barely see in the cutscene itself, they would've at least made the address in the top corner legible. My guess is that it's an actual demand letter or some other legal paperwork someone pulled from the internet or some papers someone was served and scanned and made into a texture.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to inform you about the incident which occured last week regarding my client: Margot Summers. The incident..???..logged on our..???..as an intentional act commited by Luis Caulpish(?). We intent do investigate this matter further as we have a witness in place and are fully prepared to take this to a court of law

Yours sincerely, 

(illegible)

• Like 4

sTgL5iS.png

5 hours ago, universetwisters said:

but also consider the fact that, if they would've put forth the effort to write out a letter that you would barely see in the cutscene itself, they would've at least made the address in the top corner legible. My guess is that it's an actual demand letter or some other legal paperwork someone pulled from the internet or some papers someone was served and scanned and made into a texture.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to inform you about the incident which occured last week regarding my client: Margot Summers. The incident..???..logged on our..???..as an intentional act commited by Luis Caulpish(?). We intent do investigate this matter further as we have a witness in place and are fully prepared to take this to a court of law

Yours sincerely, 

(illegible)

I believe they designed this letter for some other purpose like a law firm going after Luis for Margot's death but it got repurposed into a dumb wrapped-up suicide note. A lot of things in TBOGT feel rushed compared to the lore building IV and TLAD do towards it.

And if you look closely at the little bit of text in the top left corner of the letter, it specifically says "GTA IV E2" and it's visible enough. Why else would it say that and have Margot's name on it by chance if it was some random piece of paper from real life?

• Like 3