3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto IV Beta Hunt

henry_™

There seems to be some unused textures for hats (including different colored tops for the russian ushanka hat and even russian caps with a albania and the kazakhstan flags)  (and a a pair of unused sunglasses (which i dont think would fit niko) not too sure why these were removed as they would make great additions to the game
unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by Oborlex
added more stuff
  • 2 weeks later...

The generic interior used for the apartment complexes in Bohan has an unused area in the middle of it. 

It was probably intended for the interior to be bigger with different levels leading to apartments, but they didn't bother doing that and just sealed off access to the (unfinished) stairs area.

https://imgur.com/a/Vmu0vbd

On 4/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, Tomas. said:

Btw you can see in OpenIV viewer that in Bull in a China Shop, Vlad says something after Niko's "I don't need a bat to teach a lesson".

Heres footage of what hes referring to. Its safe to assume Vlad would have instructed Niko to go inside the shop and do his worst, as commonly known it says in american.gxt that we were supposed to go inside the store and smash vases with that bat (which would presumably lead up to Niko deciding to bash the shop owner and/or his son. which Vlad doesn't like so he sends Niko back with a bottle of vodka to the shop owner to apologise according to unused audio)

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, Spy Fox said:

There is some unused code relating to the cut objective of beating the shop owner's son in Bull in a China Shop.

I picked out that a few of the unused lines from american.gxt have code in vlad1.sco (the script for the mission) for them to be called into the game.

Here is the strand which has the code (not sure if it is all the code?) for the part where you had to beat up the son:

K56aE14.png

So that strand of code would print these lines from american.gxt, telling the player to beat up the son and guiding the player how to do so:

FozWyCq.png

VUuaoiA.png

GFEPaZm.png

and then the line 'V1_MISC_02', which is nowhere to be found. I don't understand what all the other code means exactly.

Could anyone with scripting experience shed some light on this? or even restore it?

I messed around with the code with SCO ToolBox to try to get that code running, but this was all I could do (I know little about scripting).

UKDmAqQ.png

Thanks to being much better at programming these days I decided to try to restore the cut objective of beating up the shop owner's son in Bull in a China Shop.

So I edited the mission script file to load the unused primary function of the whole beating the shop owner's son thing (the code pictured in previous post) instead of the primary function of the whole smashing the window thing after the initial cutscene with the shop owner. The result:

The unused code seems kinda broken but it does do something if loaded.

What happens is that the shop owner runs out the door and begins seemingly cheering on his son on the fight that is supposed to be happening with Niko and his son. However the son doesn't spawn - a brief instruction on how the fight the son appears in the top left corner of the screen though. After a few seconds the game instructs you to walk to the shop owner and get the money, which is something missing completely in the final mission as the shop owner is locked inside and you only get close to him after you smash the window. Also unlike in the final mission, the shop is accessible.

Interestingly none of the lines I highlighted in the previous post (e.g. "Beat up the son.") actually show up on screen... I'm going to try to get those showing up. I assume that is becuase the if statements in the code from the previous post are not being met, but I don't know if things can actually be reworked so that isn't an issue. Sadly things are limited as the program (SCO Toolbox) you edit the mission script file with only allows limited (low level) editing, and theres no other program to my knowledge you can use allows full and direct (high level) editing of the script. So I can't mess around too much with the mission code as much I like which could prevent getting more cut mission stuff being restored.

Edited by Spy Fox
Posted (edited)

Beta pine tree lods.

r6JqUiX.png

Found in pc/data/cdimages/gtxd.img/tree_lods.wtd

Edited by Lukakion
universetwisters

Found this looking up one of the map artists from GTA 4 on google. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an initial sketch of the proposed idea of GTA 4 being set in an entire state.

28234881;1620x800.jpeg

1 hour ago, universetwisters said:

Found this looking up one of the map artists from GTA 4 on google. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an initial sketch of the proposed idea of GTA 4 being set in an entire state.

28234881;1620x800.jpeg

Wow, nice find, could be that they were told San Andreas boundaries was all they could work with? In that case going city alone was the best choice as LC alone is over half the map size of SA.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, universetwisters said:

28234881;1620x800.jpeg

This is some extremelly interesting stuff! I love how most of the areas in gray are areas we did end up getting in the final game, while many others have Xs on them. It's almost like the concept team looked at his map, crossing out areas they tought weren't possible while painting what they could theoretically make in time for release.

Interestingly, if my theory is correct, the Rockaways are also painted on he concept map means they at least considered making it until pretty late in the concept stages. I also love the faint outline of San Andeas' map for scale, this would've been a HUGE map if it was done.

Great find!

• Like 3

If you hover over the box it states what they are, and yes, it's:

"A couple of the initial sketches I did while designing Liberty City for the game GTA4"

• Like 2
WELLGAMER789
5 hours ago, universetwisters said:

28234881;1620x800.jpeg

On GTA IV I was a lead artist. I initially blocked out the landmass for the whole environment, and then took charge of the Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens section, in charge of twelve artists. I wrote the look and process documents that were used for the whole map. As well as being in charge of the sections, I was hands on and modelled and textured the starting areas myself - Red Hook, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, DUMBO, Brooklyn Bridge, Williamsburg and Park Slope.

The Images here are from these locations, areas I actually modelled and textured entirely myself. Environments only, cars and characters created by other artists.

GTA IV by Nik Taylor at Coroflot.com

GTA IV by Nik Taylor at Coroflot.com

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WELLGAMER789 said:

Hey it's one of the artwork backgrounds...

large_641358_8dnfaeely8jiw6jip6ojbhsqf.j

Woah, really? You possess a very observant eye. Nice catch!

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 2
Posted (edited)

Surprised no one has also posted these from that first page yet

lqvWWJn.jpg

PpOlEVo.jpg

ldEp37R.jpg

Edited by Spy Fox
universetwisters
39 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

lqvWWJn.jpg

PpOlEVo.jpg

ldEp37R.jpg

I'm p sure they were posted a while ago tho

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

lqvWWJn.jpg

PpOlEVo.jpg

ldEp37R.jpg

I haven't had the chance to compare those side-by-side with gameplay, but the most I was able to find was the beta HUD colors and the 69th Street Diner having its curtains open, making it possible to see inside, both were already known.

Edited by DOUGL4S1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, universetwisters said:

I'm p sure they were posted a while ago tho

Nah no way, only seen one screenshot I think with that beta radar/HUD (from artist Gill Bertram's portfolio a few years ago).

ol9Ssqq.png 

Screenshot from today interestingly missing $ symbol...

aT2cwFw.jpg

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Like 3

Lhq6WiV.jpg

Cat1nlp.png

Looks like warehouse used in Russian Revolution originally had much bigger opening

HOW'S ANNIE?
11 hours ago, universetwisters said:

28234881;1620x800.jpeg

Not that it's not a massive surprise, but one of the more interesting things to gleam from this map is the fact R* never considered adding Staten Island even in the conceptual stages. I always figured if we did get one of these rough maps we'd see it represented in some capacity, considering how ambitious they were when considering Upstate Liberty.

universetwisters
5 minutes ago, HOW'S ANNIE? said:

Not that it's not a massive surprise, but one of the more interesting things to gleam from this map is the fact R* never considered adding Staten Island even in the conceptual stages. I always figured if we did get one of these rough maps we'd see it represented in some capacity, considering how ambitious they were when considering Upstate Liberty.

I mean Staten Island pales in comparison to upstate, or as per this concept, upstate + jersey + connecticut. Hell, what can you do with Long Island that you can't with Staten Island?

rollschuh2282
12 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Lhq6WiV.jpg

Cat1nlp.png

Looks like warehouse used in Russian Revolution originally had much bigger opening

i could be wrong, but to me it looks like the interior of the warehouse just wasn´t there yet at all.

and that we are looking through the building in that screenshot

• Like 3
1 minute ago, rollschuh2282 said:

i could be wrong, but to me it looks like the interior of the warehouse just wasn´t there yet at all.

and that we are looking through the building in that screenshot

Yeah I noticed that after I posted lol

Either what you said or could have been a rendering issue.

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Yeah I noticed that after I posted lol

Either what you said or could have been a rendering issue.

I think it is a rendering issue because the warehouse's interior is shown in the first trailer, and these screenshots dont look to be that early in development (I mean, it's hard to pinpoint a date when u can actually count the pixels, but still, it looks final-ish).

28234897;2262x1600.jpeg

Really puts it into perspective how small Liberty City really is, considering how big it feels compared to other GTA cities.

universetwisters
1 hour ago, Len Lfc said:

Really puts it into perspective how small Liberty City really is, considering how big it feels compared to other GTA cities.

Maybe that's the real reason planes werent ingame

Posted (edited)

I noticed the roof on both sides of the building in front, not the top of the building in beta is not there, so this looks to be adjusted/resized to fit on both sides in the final.

I refer to the post by Spy Fox about the building (just don't want to quote due to the image takes much spaces).

Edited by mads1153
NerdGamingOP
On 4/4/2021 at 10:23 PM, StuntGames said:

Does this weapon have a difference?

sddefault.jpg

don't see difference? but I See Difference Niko Holding a PumpShotgun Animation look Difference to me?