Grand Theft Auto IV Beta Hunt

henry_™

BigFloppySausageTits
On 3/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, D.VA said:

I hope someday we'll get same files for vanila GTA4 and TBOGT

Good going on rockstar, lmao

nice find

On 3/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, rollschuh2282 said:

in the data b depot the script img files without the "_rel" were the debug scripts for TLAD.

here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onrel78zea82x1l/TLAD.rar?dl=0

Holy sh*t, so much info to be mined from these files alone!! Confirms that Ashely was Leila Sharpe in an early version of the game. Which lines up with the LCPD database stating she was Johnnys girlfriend whilst Ashley was originally Billys girlfriend.

EDIT: I'm mistaken. Seems as if both Ashley and Leila were mission givers at one point. americanmission.txt mentions two missions "Drug courier" and "Convoy test", which are also marked as LEILA2 and LEILA3 respectively, no mention of LEILA1.

Edited by HOW'S ANNIE?

Drug Courier is beta/temp name for Marta Full Of Grace which is interesting

Action/Reaction = Brawl
Buyer's Market = UNDERCOVER COP TIE IN
Get Lost = Kill Billy
Coming Down = Drug Run
Bad Cop Drop = SURVEILENCE
End of Chapter = Dock Meet
Diamonds in the Rough = 3Way Diamond Deal
Heavy Toll = Booth stop
Marta Full of Grace = Drug Courier

Dug these from the debug text files 

Edited by HeySlickThatsMe
  • Like 3
On 3/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, rollschuh2282 said:

You remember that placeholder description in the TBOGT files that says that bulgarin would flee in a range rover sport, with bodyguards driving behind and you have to follow him?

Well...the checkpoint is at the airport and it will then spawn a multible huntley's (with one being marked as the enemy)

The script is very unfinished.

Bc killing the enemy will not do anything.

And the enemy will drive a path and then get out of the car and into a boat.

And then he will just drive randomly around in it.

Btw, cool thing is, the planes are in that prototype scripted.

Like one of the bodyguards will drive into 1 of them and will explode.

I'll add that the script doesn't spawn you near/to the checkpoint at the airport, you make your way there yourself 😀

Edited by sebbellic01
  • Like 7
9 hours ago, HeySlickThatsMe said:

Action/Reaction = Brawl
Get Lost = Kill Billy
Coming Down = Drug Run
Heavy Toll = Booth stop

Funny enough, LEILA3 does mention escaping the airport, but also stealing a police van. So chances are this mission was shuffled between characters early on.

LEILA2 also mentions setting a leader and number of bikes for your convoy. Makes a lot of sense considering all the features implemented for riding in a pack (whilst not as the leader) that only ended up used in 4 very early missions.

@sebbellic01 thanks for the video too man. One thing of note from that video too, it spaws a Sentinel for you to drive. Not that that's anything big on it's own, but I remember there being a few missions in TBoGT ( only specific one I can think off the top of my head is Not So Fast) where the game spawns a Sentinel for you to use as the mission vehicle. Maybe at an early point Luis was intended to have a Sentinel as a personal vehicle. But truly that's nothing but speculation on my part.

Edited by HOW'S ANNIE?
  • Like 3

Little tiny reference of the cut MP3 player in normal IV text file

nDyNRFR.png

Not sure if the string "Grove Streeted" was used anywhere in the game

xfCZOxg.png

Don't think its possible to 'de-activate' a cheat in the game

SePAbvc.png

Also the notification you would get after activating a cheat would be more specific than just saying "Cheat activated", it would tell what exact cheat was activated, e.g.

YIVPBCt.png

zRtYGl9.png

(money cheat was cut)

Edited by sebbellic01
23 hours ago, HeySlickThatsMe said:

Action/Reaction = Brawl
Get Lost = Kill Billy
Coming Down = Drug Run
Heavy Toll = Booth stop

I get that they did it so the mission name won't spoil the ending, but "Kill Billy" was such a great mission name! Wish they kept that one in somehow.

i still love to play around with those scripts.

(and a small mod to give the widgets back)

Spoiler

20200329075347_1.jpg20200329075202_1.jpg

it is also great to just be able to load any car recording and just...play it.

even mission ones.

and just passing missions with just a press of a button

:D 

Edited by rollschuh2282

Hi guys, I don't know if this was posted before, but while I was exploring street props files, I found this:

Spoiler

1CrnRtP.jpg

It's a model of a street steam chimney (don't know the right name 😅) which are very common in New York City. I've managed to also spawn it with WPL Ingame Editor (I think it can be spawned also with Simple Trainer):

Spoiler

dbMjB7C.jpg

It has collision and when you hit it with a car it falls to the ground, but doesn't emits any smoke particle.

The model it's located in \pc\data\maps\props\roadside\works.img and it's named cj_pave_exaust.wdr (textures = cj_works_1.wtd)

If i'm not mistaking, it doesn't appears in the game. Too bad, because it would have been nice to see them in a cold day on the streets of Liberty City!

Edited by DNX
wrong code!
6 hours ago, DNX said:

Hi guys, I don't know if this was posted before, but while I was exploring street props files, I found this:

Hide contents

1CrnRtP.jpg

It's a model of a street steam chimney (don't know the right name 😅) which are very common in New York City. I've managed to also spawn it with WPL Ingame Editor (I think it can be spawned also with Simple Trainer):

Hide contents

dbMjB7C.jpg

It has collision and when you hit it with a car it falls to the ground, but doesn't emits any smoke particle.

The model it's located in \pc\data\maps\props\roadside\works.img and it's named cj_pave_exaust.wdr (textures = cj_works_1.wtd)

If i'm not mistaking, it doesn't appears in the game. Too bad, because it would have been nice to see them in a cold day on the streets of Liberty City!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_steam_system

And they are big like that as well. :D

billiejoearmstrong8

Wow I've never seen such a thing :lol:. They might've looked a bit silly to anyone unfamiliar with them irl, but I think it would've been cool if they'd included them. 

Is there any way to force the game to render the map with the LODs instead of the proper map objects?

Would be interesting analysing the map with the LODs as they tend to have beta texture designs.

• Like 3

Hi guys, while I was looking for the subway signs textures of Bohan in OpenIV, i've found that in the model of the stairs of San Quentin Avenue station there is an embedded unused texture that shows a sign much different from the ones that we can see in the game!

Spoiler

xBie5eN.jpg

WAncRgf.jpg

The model is located in \pc\data\maps\east\bronx_w.img and it's named bxw_l_st_ent2.wdr (after opening it, you have to click on "view embedded textures")

Maybe that station once had old-style signs?

On 4/9/2020 at 12:01 AM, DNX said:

Hi guys, while I was looking for the subway signs textures of Bohan in OpenIV, i've found that in the model of the stairs of San Quentin Avenue station there is an embedded unused texture that shows a sign much different from the ones that we can see in the game!

Reveal hidden contents

xBie5eN.jpg

WAncRgf.jpg

The model is located in \pc\data\maps\east\bronx_w.img and it's named bxw_l_st_ent2.wdr (after opening it, you have to click on "view embedded textures")

Maybe that station once had old-style signs?

Interesting.

The station in-game is actually being renovated, with a bunch of construction equipment at street level. Maybe it was meant to be abandoned at some point? Or maybe be completed over time, with the older signs replaced by newer ones?

Edit: The lines are different. Not only is Guantanamo Ave a different station, but both are served by the B and E lines. Lines 2 and 5 don't exist.

Edited by DOUGL4S1
Ahmedmfroezspeed

i know a guy, who knows a guy

who says he heard a rumor about a Beta feature for GTA 4

the rumor says that in the beta, GTA IV was planned to have the upstanding citizen feature

if you don't what that is, it a feature when a criminal is being chased by a cop, if you hit the criminal to stop him

you'll get the upstanding Citizen's 50$ bonous

this feature appeared in both GTA Vice City and GTA Liberty City Stories

• Like 4
billiejoearmstrong8
35 minutes ago, Ahmedmfroezspeed said:

the rumor says that in the beta, GTA IV was planned to have the upstanding citizen feature

if you don't what that is, it a feature when a criminal is being chased by a cop, if you hit the criminal to stop him

Sounds likely. If you stop a criminal who's being chased by a cop by blocking them with your body or car or tripping them (can't hit them or run them over or you'll get a wanted level) although you don't get money for it the cops will sometimes thank you for your help. And if you block/trip the cop instead the criminal can thank you. I guess they only decided to keep that part. 

• Like 2
On 4/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, Ahmedmfroezspeed said:

That could explain the random foot pursuits

• Like 1
Spoiler

On 3/25/2019 at 4:41 AM, Vaporsharky said:

I've seen this car briefly talked about before, but I've noticed that it seems to be in the background of that very early Vigero photo. It has odd proportions, far more like a car from San Andreas. Maybe it was a beta Admiral, or possibly what the cut Admiral2 from TLaD was supposed to be.

BcL9814.png

kkowYMI.png

B4UdUjC.png

Just over a year later and I think I've caught a better screenshot of the same car. From this angle, the car looks a lot like the Washington from the 3D era games. I think this is why the GTA IV Admiral (and Admiral-based Stretch) are so similar to the release Washington.

Lx1kwx3.jpg

I could always be wrong - this car does resemble the Marbelle, but the side trim and back profile aren't the same.

Edited by Vaporsharky
1 hour ago, Vaporsharky said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just over a year later and I think I've caught a better screenshot of the same car. From this angle, the car looks a lot like the Washington from the 3D era games. I think this is why the GTA IV Admiral (and Admiral-based Stretch) are so similar to the release Washington.

Lx1kwx3.jpg

I could always be wrong - this car does resemble the Marbelle, but the side trim and back profile aren't the same.

Very interesting, that car is definitely not in IV or it's episodes. 

Where did you find that picture? Up until now, the only vehicles that are commonly shown as being cut from IV are the coach (which was repurposed as the Dashound in V) and that SUV from the in-game TV commercials. I hadn't seen this before.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Benefactor69 said:

Very interesting, that car is definitely not in IV or it's episodes. 

Where did you find that picture? Up until now, the only vehicles that are commonly shown as being cut from IV are the coach (which was repurposed as the Dashound in V) and that SUV from the in-game TV commercials. I hadn't seen this before.

I found it on this GTA Place page. It's pretty old, from one of the first few rounds of screenshots in 2007 I believe. 

• Like 1

From the same site notice the go go space monkey arcade cabinet instead of the qub3d cabinet we have now :D

irRECv6.jpg

And than its gone in this one. :D

sjT6T2O.jpg

Edited by Xiled
On 12/5/2017 at 7:29 AM, DOUGL4S1 said:

img 1) Forgot where it is, but it's bathroom > jukebox or something.

img 2) pc > data > maps > interiors > generic > brownstones.img > brwnpic1.wdr

BnYWi7e.png

qq2tWo4.png

At least it looks like the same place, where the light is coming from, the hanging lamps, the dark wood thing (bar?) in the background/right, the style... even some textures look similar.

Sorry for the 3 year late reply, but that's a picture perfect recreation of the Lupertazzi hangout from The Sopranos. Did anyone else notice this?

Edited by BadaBing_1996
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, KENNYOUT3 said:

Youtuber Whatever Has Found That Bicycle Couriers Were Cut. I'm Guessing U Could Also Ride Tha Bicycles As Well 

Not to mention you can see a broken down BMX inside Manny's community center, and there are cut BMX crashing sounds in the collision game files.

But cool find! Can't believe it took 12 years to find that!

Edit: I was looking through the in-game TV and found another interesting detail that was cut: Railways were supposed to have signals and overhead electric lines.

xIPNmoP.png

Edited by DOUGL4S1
12 hours ago, KENNYOUT3 said:

Youtuber Whatever Has Found That Bicycle Couriers Were Cut. I'm Guessing U Could Also Ride Tha Bicycles As Well 

Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can elaborare, but what was so challenging about having working bicycles in IV? Over the years I've seen plenty of mods where people have gotten them working in-game with physics and animations. Surely Rockstar could have achieved this with all their developer tools and know-how. One of the only "off" things about Liberty City is no bicycles, considering they're literally everywhere in NY.

It seems that they were removed from TLAD quite early in development too, along with a functional skate park. That said however, considering the sort of game TLAD is, that could have very well been a "creative" decision as opposed to a technical one.