4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto IV Beta Hunt

henry_™

NYC PATROL

I'm 99% sure I remember R* saying in some interview they originally planned to have a huge map that had countryside/upstate in IV. Wish I could find that article.

I would die to play a early version of IV with that countryside you speak of.

Found it! With a little searching lol. Under small world:

Would have loved to see how that could have unfolded...

2015839764.jpg

Edited by NYC PATROL
  • Like 10
PhillBellic

I'm 99% sure I remember R* saying in some interview they originally planned to have a huge map that had countryside/upstate in IV. Wish I could find that article.

2015839764.jpg

That Maverick in that top photo has different striping (dark blue and yellow) than the final version.

Cheers.

henry_™

2015839764.jpg

Thanks so much for this. I am sitting here crying now because the map they depict is so large.... WHY ROCKSTAR, WHHHYYYYY!?!?!?!?!

• Like 2

I have some other pictures found on reflections and things in files that I thought might be worth showing.

First off is an early picture of Burger Shot's interior.

rtgepj.jpg

The chairs have a different design, and there are table covers on the tables. Also, the floor is devoid of trash as apposed to the final Burger Shot.

Next up is two pictures of Drusilla's.

2qd8z6f.jpg

25a1c42.jpg

Based on these two pictures, it seems that we may have at one point been able to enter Drusilla's. It has an interior (I assume its the same one as in cut scenes for Ray) and a different door. If you look into Drusilla's in the current game, you can see a very low quality interior, but that's it. Though, it's possible that it was just set up like this for these pictures.

Last is this texture of the skater ped's backpack.

2rpw5di.jpg

The backpack texture contains a texture for a skateboard. I could be wrong about this and it spawns actually on him, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't spawn with one.

Edited by Kajjy
  • Like 13
t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

I like that we're still able to find interesting stuff in this game. AFAIK there is still a lot of reflection and LOD textures that have yet to be checked.

I wonder what we'll find in GTA V once the PC version comes out?

Hmmm nice bike

I'd love to see what they had in mind for that early Liberty state map, it's a shame it's never found its way out because I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing it. They had to have drawn up a rough draft of it at least. I actually made my own years ago when I saw that article that mentioned the state map. I wonder if it would have included a second smaller city or not.

• Like 1

Ah! I found my folder of other, more interesting reflection pictures. I've found some pretty interesting pictures in the files.

I'll start with some less interesting ones, some early pictures of areas currently in the game.

First- Split Sides.

33kt6h3.jpg

The tables here are covered, missing chairs, and the area appears to have a purpleish lighting. There's prolly a lot more to this, but I don't remember the exact look of the inside of Split Sides.

Second- Clucking Bell's Kitchen.

29o6dzo.jpg

The kitchen is very incomplete in this picture, missing most of the cooking equipment.

Third- Hospital.

11bhfsg.jpg

This image is pretty small, but you can clearly see that the interior is very unfinished in this picture.

Okay, now time for some more interesting pictures.

First-Barber's.

While the barbers have already been seen in some pictures in this topic, I have found a picture of what appears to be a more developed Barber Shop.

30uzeyv.jpg

This image is blurred a bit, but as you can see the barber shop became more developed before it was cut. The name for this texture file is 'gb_barbershop01_env', if you are curious.Also of note, the original, square GPS in the corner.

Second- This one's very interesting, a Jewelry Store.

34qvjtv.jpg

Named 'gb_jewellers_env', this texture appears to show a Jewelry shop that was cut some point during development. I've never heard about this before finding it in the files, so pretty interesting to see. Also, the square GPS again.

Third- Not sure what this place is.

2vvp55e.jpg

Maybe its an early early early version of one of the many apartments around the city?

And as a bonus~

Here are two REAL pictures used as reflections.

2viqcrb.jpg1ik788.jpg

Pretty weird.

And here's a picture of a real kitchen that I believe they used to model Playboy's apartment's kitchen (since the picture is called "gb_playboykitch_env")

2vvm9ef.jpg

Also, here's a nice little picture that I think may be a concept art for Drusilla's or some place. Its called "gb_jukebox_env".

23kqk9e.jpg

EDIT- Oh didn't realize that the barbershop picture I found was indeed posted. Silly me. x3

Edited by Kajjy
  • Like 13
t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

First-Barber's.

While the barbers have already been seen in some pictures in this topic, I have found a picture of what appears to be a more developed Barber Shop.

30uzeyv.jpg

This image is blurred a bit, but as you can see the barber shop became more developed before it was cut. The name for this texture file is 'gb_barbershop01_env', if you are curious.Also of note, the original, square GPS in the corner.

Third- Not sure what this place is.

2vvp55e.jpg

Maybe its an early early early version of one of the many apartments around the city?

Here's a better pic of the GPS, if you haven't found it yet:

eDUnQS7.png

What's weird is the land on the radar doesn't match up with anything on the game map, though it looks like you can see a loop of road at the top left. As for the second picture, it looks like a rendering of the hallway in the apartment complex in north Algonquin where you chase the guy to the roof. I can't remember the mission name.

I'm wondering, is this taken in-game?

TfZgwq9.png

• Like 8

Here's a better pic of the GPS, if you haven't found it yet:

eDUnQS7.png

What's weird is the land on the radar doesn't match up with anything on the game map, though it looks like you can see a loop of road at the top left. As for the second picture, it looks like a rendering of the hallway in the apartment complex in north Algonquin where you chase the guy to the roof. I can't remember the mission name.

I love that beta radar. I wish they added that, but the final one is pretty cool as well. And is the mission you're talking about "A Long Way To Fall" for Ray?

@Yolo Swaggins

Yeah, I had the picture, heh, I just sorta forgot to upload it, hehe. That picture is in Mr. Fuk's, right? If so, did Mr. Fuk's have a bathroom in the final game?

And about the last picture, it looks like a render or in game picture to me. It would be easier to tell if I could recall the layout of Algonquin, heh. If it is from ingame, I assume its taken from Middle Park.

• Like 1
Gtaultimatefanboy

Cut weapons:

Minigun: Some sounds for a handheld minigun are present in Resident.rpf, and there's a spot for it in Weaponinfo.xml.

<weapon type="MINIGUN"> <data slot="HEAVY" firetype="INSTANT_HIT" damagetype="BULLET" group="RIFLE_ASSAULT" targetrange="100.0" weaponrange="400.0" clipsize="750" timebetweenshots="36"> <damage base="1000" networkplayermod="2.0" networkpedmod="1.0"/> <physics force="500.0"/> <reload time="3000" fasttime="3000" crouchtime="3000"/> <aiming accuracy="1.0"> <offset x="0.0" y="1.0" z="0.0"/> <crouchedoffset x="0.0" y="1.0" z="0.0"/> </aiming> <pickup regentime="0" ammoonstreet="500"/> <controller> <rumble duration="60" intensity="0.3"/> </controller> <flags> <flag>GUN</flag> <flag>CAN_FREE_AIM</flag> <flag>HEAVY</flag> </flags> </data> <assets> <effects> <muzzle fx="muz_minigun"/> </effects> </assets> </weapon>

Sounds:

tcrf.net/images/4/4d/GTAIV_Minigunloop.ogg

tcrf.net/images/5/55/Gtaiv_minigun4.ogg

tcrf.net/images/4/4f/Gtaiv_minigun5.ogg

tcrf.net/images/e/e4/Gtaiv_minigun7.ogg

tcrf.net/images/1/12/Gtaiv_minigun8.ogg

tcrf.net/images/6/65/Gtaiv_minigun9.ogg

tcrf.net/images/4/41/Gtaiv_minigun10.ogg

tcrf.net/images/c/c3/Gtaiv_minigun11.ogg

tcrf.net/images/b/b8/Gtaiv_minigun12.ogg

tcrf.net/images/d/db/Gtaiv_minigun13.ogg

tcrf.net/images/0/0c/Gtaiv_minigunsine.ogg

tcrf.net/images/2/26/Gtaiv_minigunspindown1.ogg

tcrf.net/images/0/0a/Gtaiv_minigunspindown2.ogg

Flamethrower: in WeaponInfo.xml whit the name of "FTHROWER"

<weapon type="FTHROWER"/>

Nightstick: found in common/data/default.ide

w_nstick, w_nstick, null, 1, 50, 0

w_nstick, 0, CM_WEAPONS_NIGHTSTICK

Silenced 9mm: Two sounds file named SILENCED_PISTOL_SHOT1 and SILENCED_PISTOL_SHOT2 and a texture called ecal_9mm are present in the game files.

tcrf.net/images/8/8c/GTAIV_Silencedpistolsound.ogg

tcrf.net/images/f/f4/GTAIV_Silencedpistol2sound.ogg

Edited by Gtaultimatefanboy
  • Like 5
henry_™

Cut weapons:

Minigun: Some sounds for a handheld minigun are present in Resident.rpf, and there's a spot for it in Weaponinfo.xml.

<weapon type="MINIGUN"> <data slot="HEAVY" firetype="INSTANT_HIT" damagetype="BULLET" group="RIFLE_ASSAULT" targetrange="100.0" weaponrange="400.0" clipsize="750" timebetweenshots="36"> <damage base="1000" networkplayermod="2.0" networkpedmod="1.0"/> <physics force="500.0"/> <reload time="3000" fasttime="3000" crouchtime="3000"/> <aiming accuracy="1.0"> <offset x="0.0" y="1.0" z="0.0"/> <crouchedoffset x="0.0" y="1.0" z="0.0"/> </aiming> <pickup regentime="0" ammoonstreet="500"/> <controller> <rumble duration="60" intensity="0.3"/> </controller> <flags> <flag>GUN</flag> <flag>CAN_FREE_AIM</flag> <flag>HEAVY</flag> </flags> </data> <assets> <effects> <muzzle fx="muz_minigun"/> </effects> </assets> </weapon>

Sounds:

tcrf.net/images/4/4d/GTAIV_Minigunloop.ogg

tcrf.net/images/5/55/Gtaiv_minigun4.ogg

tcrf.net/images/4/4f/Gtaiv_minigun5.ogg

tcrf.net/images/e/e4/Gtaiv_minigun7.ogg

tcrf.net/images/1/12/Gtaiv_minigun8.ogg

tcrf.net/images/6/65/Gtaiv_minigun9.ogg

tcrf.net/images/4/41/Gtaiv_minigun10.ogg

tcrf.net/images/c/c3/Gtaiv_minigun11.ogg

tcrf.net/images/b/b8/Gtaiv_minigun12.ogg

tcrf.net/images/d/db/Gtaiv_minigun13.ogg

tcrf.net/images/0/0c/Gtaiv_minigunsine.ogg

tcrf.net/images/2/26/Gtaiv_minigunspindown1.ogg

tcrf.net/images/0/0a/Gtaiv_minigunspindown2.ogg

Flamethrower: in WeaponInfo.xml whit the name of "FTHROWER"

<weapon type="FTHROWER"/>

Nightstick: found in common/data/default.ide

w_nstick, w_nstick, null, 1, 50, 0

w_nstick, 0, CM_WEAPONS_NIGHTSTICK

Silenced 9mm: Two sounds file named SILENCED_PISTOL_SHOT1 and SILENCED_PISTOL_SHOT2 and a texture called ecal_9mm are present in the game files.

tcrf.net/images/8/8c/GTAIV_Silencedpistolsound.ogg

tcrf.net/images/f/f4/GTAIV_Silencedpistol2sound.ogg

Intresting the two best weapons from San Andreas were supposed to be in GTA IV. Probably they were scraped as they ruin the very serious atmosphere the developers were going for. Alsoe please upload the "ecal_9mm" Texture. Thanks! :D

Edited by henry_™

Another interesting detail I recall from a while ago concerning press preview code. I remember reading this from one of the forums (probably not here).
Apparently the version distributed to press required special USB drive to boot the game and R* instructed them specifically carry the drive with them all the time (to prevent theft and leaks obviously).

• Like 1
henry_™

Here's "ecal_9mm" I suppose that's the suppressor at the bottom of the texture.

zv8qvb.jpg

Welp you proved me wrong. I thought the 9MM was left over files from GTA San Andreas but this texture is clearly upgraded. Nice one :)

- snap -

Having 2,000 people run around on a map shooting each other, that's just not interesting. - Sam Houser

That's quite the 180.

Edited by PhilosophicalZebra
  • Like 14
HOW'S ANNIE?

I really think that people are thinking too much into this Liberty state thing. Really there was NEVER any version of the game which included countryside, it was just a peice of very early planning.

Also I remember reading somewhere, I'm trying to find it now, that at another planning stage the LC map was just going to be a very large version of Manhattan. Probably best this idea didn't make it either considering it would limit the travel one can make via boats, helicopters, etc.

• Like 1
Gtaultimatefanboy

Unused TV static Video: a static video for the TV it dosent look bad a it would make it more realistic

static_nosound.bik - YouTube

Cut Vehicles: vehicles found in the files

Andromada:

ANDROM 50000.0 10.0 75 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1 0.30 1.0 160.0 0.4 0.60 0.7 35.0 0.65 0.60 8.0 0.10 0.5 0.4 0.2 0.2 0.50 -0.20 0.0 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.8 1.5 0.0 52000 2004000 400000 0

Dodo:

DODO 5000.0 10.0 75 0.0 0.3 0.0 0.0 1 0.30 1.0 160.0 0.4 0.60 0.7 35.0 0.65 0.60 8.0 0.10 0.5 0.5 0.15 0.2 0.50 -0.05 0.0 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.8 1.5 0.0 45000 4000000 400000 13

Fighter: A removed military plane

Majestic: From GTA San Andreas. found in unused Police radio car announces

tcrf.net/images/9/90/GTA4_MOD_MAJESTIC.ogg

Previon: Also from GTA San Andreas

tcrf.net/images/0/00/GTA4_MOD_PREVION.ogg

Packer Ramp: theres a unused ramp for the Packer it can be spawned whit mods but it has incorrect collision detection

175px-GTAIV_Packer-Vehicle_Unused-Ramp.p

Incorrect collision:

175px-GTAIV_Packer-Vehicle_Unused-Ramp_I

Cut Weather:

Snow:

In common\data\Ambient.dat there is a bit known as >IsSnowing. There was going to be Snow but it's now only seen as an unused scenario for pedestrian behavior.

Plank:

A plank and the animation can be found within the game's files and would have been carried by dock workers at East Hook. While unused now, workers can be seen holding the plank in the first trailer.

texture and model can also be found

Texture: 15px-GTAIV_Plank_texture.png Model: 120px-GTAIV_Plank_model.png

Animation:

Pinball:

There is an unused animation for playing pinball found in anim.img.

Maxwell Caughlin was originally going to be called Maxwell Caddy

Beta:153px-Maxwell_caddy.webp

Final:

170px-MaxwellCaughlin-GTAIV-MostWantedCr

• Like 12

I really think that people are thinking too much into this Liberty state thing. Really there was NEVER any version of the game which included countryside, it was just a peice of very early planning.

Also I remember reading somewhere, I'm trying to find it now, that at another planning stage the LC map was just going to be a very large version of Manhattan. Probably best this idea didn't make it either considering it would limit the travel one can make via boats, helicopters, etc.

I have to agree, I don't think the whole Liberty State thing ever got past the concept stage.

henry_™

The Countryside Idea Kills me it was cut. I can only think why it would is the game would instead of being 15GB, would probably be 30 or 40GB and then require 2 or even 3 Xbox 360/PS3 Discs to play. It really is a godd*amn f*cking shame there are not leaked drawings of the Countryside....

Edited by henry_™
Hmmm nice bike

Anyone else remember when Rockstar had planned on releasing an art book set?

art-science-rockstar-games.jpg

Digital + Analogue: The Art and Science of Rockstar Games was apparently going to contain, according to the original product description, "original illustrations, wireframes, production stills, product shots, ads, inspiration and candids of the company’s games plus exclusive content on a CD/DVD. The hundreds of color photographs and never-before published video-scapes all culled from the archives of the creators will acquaint readers with the vast areas within the games that allow unparalleled freedom, and a unique experience every play." This ended up being cancelled, but if it was released it would have been $450, but it'd also probably contain tons of concept art and information about the development of their games. Probably even the original IV concept map with countryside. It was cancelled and apparently they were working with another publisher to do a smaller version. Last we heard about this book was in 2012, when Rockstar said in an Asked & Answered: "We don’t have a release date yet, but the book is shaping up fantastically."

Obviously not, since we haven't heard a thing about it since :/ Which is too bad, because if it really contained a lot of old illustrations and production stills and things like that, it'd probably give people interested in the pre-release version of IV and other games by Rockstar tons of information.

• Like 10
PhillBellic

Anyone else remember when Rockstar had planned on releasing an art book set?

art-science-rockstar-games.jpg

Digital + Analogue: The Art and Science of Rockstar Games was apparently going to contain, according to the original product description, "original illustrations, wireframes, production stills, product shots, ads, inspiration and candids of the company’s games plus exclusive content on a CD/DVD. The hundreds of color photographs and never-before published video-scapes all culled from the archives of the creators will acquaint readers with the vast areas within the games that allow unparalleled freedom, and a unique experience every play." This ended up being cancelled, but if it was released it would have been $450, but it'd also probably contain tons of concept art and information about the development of their games. Probably even the original IV concept map with countryside. It was cancelled and apparently they were working with another publisher to do a smaller version. Last we heard about this book was in 2012, when Rockstar said in an Asked & Answered: "We don’t have a release date yet, but the book is shaping up fantastically."

Obviously not, since we haven't heard a thing about it since :/ Which is too bad, because if it really contained a lot of old illustrations and production stills and things like that, it'd probably give people interested in the pre-release version of IV and other games by Rockstar tons of information.

No, I don't remember this. It would however be an awesome read, and worth the money for those inclined.

Cheers.

Maxwell Caughlin was originally going to be called Maxwell Caddy

snip

IIRC, on early versions of IV, at least on XBOX 360, Maxwell's last name is still Caddy.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

I remember reading that there was going to be a mission called "Jacob's Ladder" in which Little Jacob is killed. It makes sense because Jacob's Ladder represents ascending to heaven. From what I know, Little Jacob wasn't going to be in IV for very long, he was going to be killed off early in the game after Concrete Jungle or Jamaican Heat.

• Like 2

I asked R* about the "Digital + Analogue: The Art and Science of Rockstar Games" book a few years ago, they told me they would announce the release date at some point ... In a few weeks or so I guess ?

I'd kill for such a thing ! I might try to contact them tomorrow, but I guess the chance that they'll reply are very low.

• Like 1
spitfire 26 rus

Nico Bellic-beta - russian actor Vladimir Mashkov

"Behind Enemy Lines"

220px-Vlad_mash_sasha.jpg

Edited by spitfire 26 rus
  • Like 7