2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Why do all of you hate Grand Theft Auto V so much?

henry_™

I'm really surprised as GTA V I think was a very good game. Oh and just to be clear: GTA IV was my favorite one.

universetwisters

I'm dissapointed because of it's poor story that is more "be a rich government rent boy" rather than an actual bank robber and a piss poor map. Come think of it, most of the disappointments come from it being overhyped.

And GTA Online.

And super cops.

I pre ordered it, because it got overhyped. Four months later and one 100% complete save later I got extremely bored of it! then I thought " why the hell did I skip school and pay £45 for this?"

• Like 2

People expected this to be the best game in the u.S, and when people reliaze that heists did not come out when rockstar said it would be, got people pissed.

In short for me: It's a good game but very disappointing (protagonists, story, map layout and downgrades). Seriously, the only thing that really exceeded my expectations is the Original Soundtrack, in fact I'm just listening to A Haze of Patriotic Fervor right now.

It was overhyped by Rockstar as well, all that secretism and lack of news for such a long time only led to use our imagination for things like the protagonist, the story, gameplay features, etc.

All could've been so much better...

Because what we were sold ended up being completely different to what we got.

I'm disappointed about the story. The build up was great but it ended on a very weak note. I find everything else to be enjoyable. Especially online.

Edited by QUEEN--ROCKS
KillerQueen.gifZfyQr7F.png

Personally, I loved it. I've played almost every installment in the GTA series (I've never played Advance or LCS), and I enjoyed V the most. I think there are three big reasons why some people hate it, or at the very least dislike it:

YouTubers: Lots of YouTubers covered the game leading up to the release. They did videos speculating features the game might have, videos analyzing screenshots, and videos breaking down the trailers frame by frame. I think a lot of people took the speculation as fact. For instance, one popular user made a video dedicated to the North Yankton screenshot. This video was around ten minutes long, and it consisted almost entirely of the guy talking about how since the game has snow it must have all of this other stuff. Snowmobiles, skiing, polar bears (the fact that the game was set in a spoof of California seemed to have been lost on him), snowboarding, snowballs to throw at NPCs, yada yada yada. Then a few smaller YouTubers piggy-backed off of this guy where they made their own videos talking about how bitchin' the snowboarding in the game was going to be.

If you went into the comments section of the videos; it was filled with people talking about how the first thing they were going to do in GTA V was go to the snowy area, talking about how they were going to jack snowmobiles and try to ram bears with them while being chased by the cops. And then V comes out, and lo and behold. There are no bears, no snowboarding, no snow mobiles, or any of the other crap from the speculation videos. Then people (I remember seeing a couple users moping about in on here) were ranting in the comments section on later videos about how those lazy Cockstar bastards f*cked them over by not including snow-related stuff. Despite Rockstar never actually saying they were going to include any of that.

San Andreas: Don't get me wrong, I loved GTA: San Andreas. It was my favorite entry in the series before V, and I spent a crapton of hours playing it. I think a lot of people expected V to just be a HD version of San Andreas, which it really wasn't. I've noticed a lot of people on here complaining about, yet again, those lazy Cockstar bastards f*cking them over by not including some features from San Andreas. Yeah, it would have been nice if gang wars were added in (I think they would've made sense if Trevor could participate in them), or bodybuilding (which was confirmed not to be in the game like a year before it came out). One of the non-returning activities I've noticed people complain about a lot is basketball. I mean, in San Andreas, the basketball was as boring as hell. You weren't even going up against anybody. And I guarantee if basketball was included in V, there'd still be bitching about basketball returning instead of pool or dancing in nightclubs.

Nostalgia: Even if V was the greatest game in the history of games, it still wouldn't be good enough for certain people who played the earlier entries in the games when they came out and loved them. Everyone has a favorite entry in the series, and everyone has the memory of it built up in their mind. That the driving was incredible, the soundtrack was flawless, that the gunplay was spectacular, that sorta thing. As a result, V couldn't surpass their memories of [insert older entry in the series here]. And, a result, those lazy Cockstar bastards f*cked them over by steering away from [insert older entry in the series here].

TL;DR: YouTubers overhyped the game, some people just wanted a San Andreas remake, and some people really love the older entries in the series.

Edited by Maxios

Don't hate it, don't love it. I used to think San Andreas was the best in the series until I really got to know Niko. One thing V has done successfully is make me fully understand just how much I loved IV. With IV, I understood why things were different. I understood that it was story and not feature driven. I defended the lack of hair stylists, tattoo shops and chop shops. With V, though, all I can really say anymore is "yeah, I really don't know why that feature didn't make the cut."

Why didn't they bring back burglary missions? Why are the trains so pointless? Why are there so few worthwhile interiors? Why is vehicle customisation so limited? The list goes on.

Edited by chainsoar
  • Like 1

PoeticWhisper

I love the game. I don't care about most of the usual arguments. I have played it to death and as a result I don't play it as much as I did. Doesn't mean I dislike it though. Every game gets old after a while. V is up there with my favorite GTA's

Because people were asking of what the moon cannot be had. They overhyped themselves to such an extent, that they simply couldn't enjoy GTAV the way the wanted to.

Edited by Tilemaxx

I don't hate it, I don't even own a copy due to Rockstar not releasing it on Steam

If you really want to know, check the MANY threads made specifically about people's dislike for V. In my opinion, i don't like the gameplay or the story one bit. The gameplay felt dumbed down so it can appeal to the mainstream and the story was rubbish. That's the short reason, check some of the other threads on this subject if you want detailed reasoning.

make total destroy

I don't hate it, but it felt very under-whelming. The story wasn't terrible, but the ending(s) were rather anti-climatic.

• Like 2

yqwcbDf.png

I love this game. In fact, I think I was one of the people who thought, upon first playing it, that it actually met all of the expectations I had from the trailers.

That said, I played through the story. And loved every minute of it. But then comes that period. You know the one. The post story period. And I'm not a %100 completion seeking kind of guy. I hated math in school. So, once the story was complete, I still liked the game a lot. In fact I still like it right now. But some problems became very apparent to me right quick.

The cops are ridiculous. You can punch someone out on top of a mountain, nobody could possibly have a phone nearby to report you to the cops, and yet, you still get a wanted level. Blow up your own car in a tunnel with nobody around and invincibility on? Wanted level. Run over someone? Instant wanted level, as though they're wearing ankle bracelets that detect hit and runs.

Now, every previous GTA has had psychic cops. Why is it a problem here? Because a clear alternative was programmed into the game. Pedestrians can now call the cops on you. That would have been great if at all implemented correctly. But no. All crimes are instead instantly detected. What do pedestrians call the police on you for? Standing near them too long. Yes, this is true. You now get wanted levels for standing near someone for too long. Bullsh*t bullsh*t bullsh*t. Oh, but not just that. Insult a lady too much, and she'll bring down the god damn heat on you too. Great. Good going. I've always wanted to have to evade cops for insulting someone, and god dammit, GTA V delivered! f*ck this police system.

But with some cheats I can get over that. What really sinks the game lower, and I mean much lower, is the humor. This is a satire of american culture like epic movie is a satire of movies. Stereotypes upon stereotypes. Los Santos is what bill o'reilly thinks los angeles is, and blaine county is what MSNBC thinks rednecks are like. And it never gets crazier than that. Seriously, this is a series that has had a courtroom show that has a lion pit, a crazy pastor selling a rocket church shoot a nudist in front of a house wife who teaches her kids to hunt wild game on a radio show, sylvester stallone's obvious parody shoot a radio host live on the radio and then proceed to shoot up the rest of the place with a minigun, and so much more. Where is the crazy this time? Nobody gets shot or drilled in the head on these radio shows. It's just straight up stereotypes. The Fernando Show is a base level criticism of feminism, bless your heart is the most basic and boring paula deen rip off, beyond insemination serves as nothing more than to make fun of macho stereotypes, BCR community hour somehow actually managed to take the humor out of god damn alex jones (which is like making a puppy ugly or making ice cream taste like literal poop), Chattersphere is another base criticism of feminism and some guy going through a mid life crisis, but not it a funny way, Chakra Attack is a needless attack on people who try their best to stay out of the way and just meditate in peace, and even the commercials go out of their way to stereotypes.

With michael's kids, rockstar didn't even f*cking try. Jimmy is the stereotypical stoner gamer who does nothing but sit and play games and he plays call of duty because COD is hitler, and tracy is the stereotypical desperate reality show girl who will do anything to get famous. Even amanda is just interested in clothes and f*cking fitness coaches. And criticising michael for being a killer while using his money to buy more clothes.

I didn't enjoy most of the humor coming from GTA V, and that's a definite first for the series. What the hell happened? Where's the guy that wrote "Just or unjust" the courtroom radio show that had a lion pit? Hire that guy back, please. I at least enjoy his crazy over the top humor. Maybe they moved him to cartoon duty, as the cartoons are the only humor I kind of enjoyed because it was willing to go over the top enough to be absurd. I liked kung fu rainbow lazer force and republican space rangers because they're so crazily exaggerated that you can't help but laugh. And that definitely can't be said for the radio stations.

I still like the game, but only because I like roller coasters and this is the only GTA game that has a ridable one, and because blowing sh*t up is as fun as it has always been, and it's easier with the cheats they provided. Flying planes is still fun too.

The rest, I don't care much for.

• Like 2

Algonquin Assassin

Don't hate it, don't love it. I used to think San Andreas was the best in the series until I really got to know Niko. One thing V has done successfully is make me fully understand just how much I loved IV. With IV, I understood why things were different. I understood that it was story and not feature driven. I defended the lack of hair stylists, tattoo shops and chop shops. With V, though, all I can really say anymore is "yeah, I really don't know why that feature didn't make the cut."

Why didn't they bring back burglary missions? Why are the trains so pointless? Why are there so few worthwhile interiors? Why is vehicle customisation so limited? The list goes on.

Pretty much this. I don't love nor hate it either. It's a good game if you treat it like any other open world game, but it's not a very good GTA IMO.

Everytime I try to play I always find I question things about it. I've never done that with the other games despite their flaws.

GTA V was great the first few weeks, but subsequent playthroughs have given me a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm not even entirely sure I'll purchase the NG version or just rent it. I'll definitely give it a try, but I think a rental first might be a safe bet.

• Like 2

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

1. V went a little overboard with the realism. I liked the idea of having a new change in immersion feeling by giving a realistic touch in GTA IV.

But, when it kills the fun factor too, it gets incredibly boring and annoying, for me.

One of the reasons, why I'm not a fan of HD titles.

2. Least challenging game of the series, to me.

3. They've repeated a good number of features and content of the previous games, which is fine, but something that got old, boring really quick esp. after playing them in the past. It's like "been here and seen them" feeling.

What's new and different/fresh in concept?

Not much that sounds really exciting to me, the way GTA SA did for me on release.

It feels like they added the content without much genuine thought of adding replay value for us, and improve them to effectively make it more interesting.

For some reason, I find the repeated stuff being converted to RAGE with better presentation so that people who don't like to pick up the old games and play them in the original format, can now really enjoy with flashy graphics, and details, even though it sucks, in the end.

4. Additionally, they cut out important and interesting features too, that made previous games soo much more fun, even without giving these things a chance or thought of improving them further, suitable for the new format.

5. Enter GTA:O, the new noob in the series, that Rockstar is more than happy to focus in making him stronger and feed him a lot of things, without batting an eye, and denying single players too, leaving them with disappointment, despite the potential.

GTA:O is becoming fast popular among kids.

6. GTA IV had a really good amount of missions and a great story, something that's neither compelling to replay nor sounds as great, that one would remember even after years leaving a mark on the players, in case of V.

On short, both the missions and the story, stink!

7. Ultimately, GTA V does not spark, or blow me away, there's no obvious reason to say I feel excited of playing another GTA. It feels just like a video game more than another GTA game to have fun.

Yes, it still has some of the functionality of the GTA, like stealing cars, shooting stuff, pissing off cops, drive around exploring the map, do missions, etc. But, the fundamental assumptions on the part of the developers regarding what sounds fun, and what would drive players to play them with the same level of interest and dedication, as seen with the previous games, forms a stark contrast.

It really is shocking for me that despite the bigger map, and how far the series has come from GTA III, GTA V gameworld and it's offering are all just nothing special, and unintetesting, putting aside the technical improvements and speaking of the core GTA experience.

• Like 2

I dont hate GTA V. I though it was pretty good. Some people just expected too much and overhyped themselves.

Algonquin Assassin

7. Ultimately, GTA V does not spark, or blow me away, there's no obvious reason to say I feel excited of playing another GTA. It feels just like a video game more than another GTA game to have fun.

This is how it makes me feel also. It just feels like another open world game to me than an anticipated GTA title. To me games like GTA IV, VC, RDR etc just have something so special about them I find very appealing that I just don't get with GTA V.

I appreciate the technical improvements made in GTA V, but after 5 years of waiting I'm pretty sure most of us expected it was going to have better graphics, tighten up the clunkyness from GTA IV's controls etc. All of this is nice, but becomes redundant if the gameplay doesn't drive people to play it.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

People expected GTA V to be GTA SA 2.0...

I didn't even like San Andreas that much and I still find that game better than this one.

What I expected GTA V to be was do what they did right in IV and RDR and push it beyond their limits... and I'm talking about storytelling, gameplay, features and environment... IMO we got NONE of that.

Bigger map, great... but what's there to do out there? What's in the ocean besides all these optional collectibles? Why the small desert? Why is the story so damn forgettable compared to others in the series? Why does Online have more features than sinleplayer...? Which is what the majority of people play GTA for.

R* messed up big time and I'm hoping they do something more than a graphical boost in the current-gen version.

I bet their next game (not in the GTA series) will end up being better than V itself.

• Like 6
948185.png

People expected GTA V to be GTA SA 2.0...

In fact, it feels like GTA SA 2.0, just like every sequel there are a lot of differences, but at the same time, there are similarities too.

In my opinion, indeed it's a GTA SA 2.0.

I'd have been more than happy if they introduced it completely different, speaking of content and features, with new ideas and concept to really give GTA V an edge over GTA SA.

In the end, they didn't gamble a lot, and played safe, which is why it turned out least impressive than SA.

If GTA VC had a bigger map, then they would have picked it for V, simply because they wanted to introduce GTA:O on a bigger map and scale.

Why would they choose only LS and countryside for V?

It would be a lot interesting to see SF and LV with deserts, like many already expressed in other threads.

For GTA:O, a vast open landmass with countryside fits perfectly, thus they wanted to cash in on the success of SA.

It's a completely subjective opinion, but that's the impression I get from V, a launching pad for GTA:O on the biggest successful map of the series, GTA SA.

ArcadeWilliamz

I liked GTA V because it played out better than GTA IV. The only thing that was good about GTA IV was a great and long story and that's it and you always get the same calls from Roman saying "Cousin let's go bowling" or "Let's go out and get drunk together" and GTA IV is too realistic and serious so this game should be called "New York Crime Simulator 2008".

Edited by Willstig998

It's the newest one. I do remember the hate for IV and no one was saying that it would ever be considered a classic masterpiece.

People also don't like big GTAs for some reason, so SA is still unpopular.

Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc
  • Like 2

Idk. I really enjoyed it. Not everyone hated it, you just see that on mostly this forum. Go to other forums, especially places like IGN and Neogaf and they (mostly) love this game WAY more than IV. People on here are just pessimistic, that's why I don't come on here very much anymore, way too much negativity.

• Like 2

I don't hate V :) I am waiting for the PC version since I don't have a console :)