3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

How do I play the story?

DMarieBella

Go to solution Solved by DMarieBella,

Sorry for such a silly question I'm sure but I never played the story side before - just online. All there seems to do is go the ? on the map. I can switch between characters but there's nothing to do but the ?. AM I missing something? :p

Hello,

Once you start up GTA V, don't go Online, wait for Story Mode to load. Which character do you spawn with?

Sorry for such a silly question I'm sure but I never played the story side before - just online. All there seems to do is go the ? on the map. I can switch between characters but there's nothing to do but the ?. AM I missing something? :p

Well, this all seems wrong.

If you're just starting up, you'll be in the Prologue, where you have no choice of character until an enforced switch.

If that's completed, you're Franklin and character switching is impossible at that point. It'd be good to know where in the game you are, OP. Because at the moment, this doesn't sound like you're playing the Story mode I've played.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

When you go to the character switch wheel--- there should be a # next to each character. That is the number of missions available to each character. The color of the icons on the map will correspond to which character the missions are available to.

Look at your mission replay list-- Pause the game-- select game>mission replay-- and list in order the last 10 missions that were completed--- this will give us an idea of where in the story you are and what might be available-- note that in parts of the game you can play missions in different orders.

It is very possible your save is glitched if no missions are available-- or possibly the game is waiting for you to complete a task (ie park a getaway car or what not). Check your texts messages for each character and see if you were told to do something.

The "?" correspond to strangers and freaks missions which are side missions-- I am unsure if you can complete the story without completing any of these or if they can "hang up" the story (cause the story to not progress)-- If I ever get around to it, I plan on playing through just the story and ignoring the strangers and freaks and see if it is possible or not or if it causes any issues.... I don't forsee me having time to do this in the immediate future.

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

Thanks for all the help. I started the game correctly (prologue) and I have 2 people I can play as so far. Micheal and Franklin. I did a couple of missions for each so far. Franklin doing the repossession (pick which garage) and Micheal saving his son/boat. All I have left on my map for each is the ?. I am level 68 online so I am not totally new to the game ... just never played the story before. I do see "2" for each on the wheel. I'll check my phone. I forgot about that :p

Example: Franklin has 2 by his name on the wheel but I check the Jobs List on his cell and it says no Jobs Available. Calling contacts just says Hang Out.

Edited by Barefoot Tiger

Hello, completing "Father/Son" (the boat mission) should cause a "M" icon on the map at Michaels house.

If this hasn't popped up, please try free-roaming for a while until it does.

Thanks for all the help. I started the game correctly (prologue) and I have 2 people I can play as so far. Micheal and Franklin. I did a couple of missions for each so far. Franklin doing the repossession (pick which garage) and Micheal saving his son/boat. All I have left on my map for each is the ?. I am level 68 online so I am not totally new to the game ... just never played the story before. I do see "2" for each on the wheel. I'll check my phone. I forgot about that :p

Example: Franklin has 2 by his name on the wheel but I check the Jobs List on his cell and it says no Jobs Available. Calling contacts just says Hang Out.

You have to do that "?" mission. That's the "Pulling Favors" Strangers & Freaks mission that introduces you to random events and "Strangers & Freaks" side missions. You have to complete that one mission if you want to continue the story.

I have the M. The only mission I have not passed yet is Franklin racing cuz the car sux!! lol But again, both names have 2 by them. How do I play the 2?

Bump - sorry but really need help here lol. I cannot get any missions to trigger. I have M and I have F and each have a #2 by their name. No jobs on the cell phone and nowhere to go to on the map.

Here's what I have done so far ...

Prologue

Franklin and Lamar

Repossession

Complications

Chop

The Long Stretch

Father/Son

Also the tow truck junk and the one where you save the stalled car on the tracks.

I have the M. The only mission I have not passed yet is Franklin racing cuz the car sux!! lol But again, both names have 2 by them. How do I play the 2?

Go to the M-- that should be the mission "Marriage Counseling" at Michaels house.

Michael and Franklin are in that mission-- I forget which one triggers it to start-- the color of the icon will tell you (Green for Franklin or Blue for Michael)

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

Go to the M-- that should be the mission "Marriage Counseling" at Michaels house.

Michael and Franklin are in that mission-- I forget which one triggers it to start-- the color of the icon will tell you (Green for Franklin or Blue for Michael)

This mission can be started by either Michael or Franklin, but it's recommended that you use Michael for a more comprehensive cinematic introduction.

Edited by Barefoot Tiger

• Solution

I trashed all the files and the game is now back the square one lol. Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna save the story part for my ps4 :-) Just hope it's not so confusing the second time around.