2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Official Grunge topic

Onett

Let's start with some protogrunge.

Really wanted to link What Goes On by The Velvet Underground, since the rhythm guitar on that track is to indie rock what The Funky Drummer is to hip hop. Can't find it on you tube though :(

This gets a lot of play in our house, mostly 'cause my youngest is called Molly.....

An other Vaselines cover, they're indie stalwarts from round my way and Nirvana covering their songs made them more cash than they'd ever dreamed of getting otherwise!

Let's start with some protogrunge.

Really wanted to link What Goes On by The Velvet Underground, since the rhythm guitar on that track is to indie rock what The Funky Drummer is to hip hop. Can't find it on you tube though :(

This gets a lot of play in our house, mostly 'cause my youngest is called Molly.....

An other Vaselines cover, they're indie stalwarts from round my way and Nirvana covering their songs made them more cash than they'd ever dreamed of getting otherwise!

They don't call him the godfather of grunge for nothing.

Nirvana did do a bunch of Vaselines covers, this being my favourite:

There's just something awesome about this, probably the guitar riff and the fact that the song never lets up. There's also something creepy about "Daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more".

Edited by Onett

Alright, this is my speciality - I was 14 in 91 and my world f*cking exploded with all this great music. First off, Grunge never happened. There was just a bunch of bands that got marketed together as a scene.

Mudhoney are just Garage rock. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were metal. Nirvana was stoner rock, then pop rock, then God knows what by the time they hit In Utero. Pearl Jam are the f*cking Eagles in plaid.

But there's never been a scene with such consistently solid good bands ever since. Such a shame.

Grab yourselves as much Dinosaur Jr, Screaming Trees, Jesus Lizard, Superchunk and Tad as you can ram in your fat f*cking faces and turn it up.

Best Nirvana song? For me it's School or Negative Creep.

• Like 2
Signatures are dumb anyway.

Alright, this is my speciality - I was 14 in 91 and my world f*cking exploded with all this great music. First off, Grunge never happened. There was just a bunch of bands that got marketed together as a scene.

Mudhoney are just Garage rock. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were metal. Nirvana was stoner rock, then pop rock, then God knows what by the time they hit In Utero. Pearl Jam are the f*cking Eagles in plaid.

But there's never been a scene with such consistently solid good bands ever since. Such a shame.

Grab yourselves as much Dinosaur Jr, Screaming Trees, Jesus Lizard, Superchunk and Tad as you can ram in your fat f*cking faces and turn it up.

Best Nirvana song? For me it's School or Negative Creep.

Damn, dude, wish I could have been in your position, right now all they're playing on the radio is the same sh*t over and over.

OT: I can see where your coming from when you say that Bleach was stoner rock, though About a Girl sounds like something of a Fab Four-era Beatles track.

But School and Negative Creep are very good :)

• Like 1

Here's my little sad story:

I have two tickets to see Nirvana at the Brixton Academy, London, April 4th, 1994. They're in perfect condition, still as uncreased as the day I received them. I never got to see them live. I'd say they're hands down the main reason why I play music today. Such a bummer.

On a brighter note, Screaming Trees.

http://youtu.be/hfSgF20Ph_c

Here's my little sad story:

I have two tickets to see Nirvana at the Brixton Academy, London, April 4th, 1994. They're in perfect condition, still as uncreased as the day I received them. I never got to see them live. I'd say they're hands down the main reason why I play music today. Such a bummer.

On a brighter note, Screaming Trees.

http://youtu.be/hfSgF20Ph_c

Damn, the day before Kurt died? Bummer. Any pics?

• Like 1

The day after he died, the day before he was found and confirmed dead.

IMAG0762_zpsea9d1a3d.jpg

Other than my music gear, they're pretty much my only treasured possession. A few people have said I should flog them on e-bay, but that's just not going to happen.

• Like 1

Other than my music gear, they're pretty much my only treasured possession. A few people have said I should flog them on e-bay, but that's just not going to happen.

Don't. They must be pretty rare, and are a part of music history.

• Like 1

What's the best song from Nirvana?

All Apologies, Breed, Aneurysm, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Heart Shaped Box and Territorial Pissings are some of my favorite Nirvana songs.

All Apologies, Breed, Aneurysm, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Heart Shaped Box and Territorial Pissings are some of my favorite Nirvana songs.All ready listening to smells like teen spirit, but will listen to those as well.

Hah. That's a tough one.. are you looking for songs to get into the band/their music?

A few of my favorites would be; Oh the Guilt. Drain You. In Bloom. Sliver. Aneurysm. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle. About a Girl. Their rendition of The Man Who Sold the World from UPNY.

Edited by Nah Tso Gud

Hah. That's a tough one.. are you looking for songs to get into the band/their music?

A few of my favorites would be; Oh the Guilt. Drain You. In Bloom. Sliver. Aneurysm. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle. About a Girl. Their rendition of The Man Who Sold the World from UPNY.

Yeah, I'm new to grunge rock.

Yeah, I'm new to grunge rock.

I see, yeah a good place to start would be the Nevermind album. Very catchy, easy to listen to songs. Territorial Pissings will give you a little jolt though :D good stuff.

Edit: A good place to start if one is trying to get into Nirvana. I won't necessarily make that claim for the genre as a whole.

Edited by Nah Tso Gud
  • Like 1

The day after he died, the day before he was found and confirmed dead.

IMAG0762_zpsea9d1a3d.jpg

wow 13.50 for tickets

• Like 1

LQayY8P.jpg

Yeah, crazy huh? I did some checking on ebay, similar tickets are going for nearly 10 times that. But I would never sell them.

All Apologies, Breed, Aneurysm, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Heart Shaped Box and Territorial Pissings are some of my favorite Nirvana songs.

Aneurysm for sure. Some of my personal favourites are Dive, Swap Meet, Blew, Downer. I think most of those are on the deluxe Bleach album, the studio version of Dive is on Incesticide. Scentless Apprentice is my favourite from In Utero along with Rape Me. My favourites from Nevermind would have to be On a Plain & Lounge Act.