2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

MyDog

TBoGT ruined Bulgarin (Spoilers)

simonp92

Let them be with their precious child called GTAO, but let other studios to write SP campaign of next GTA. I would seriously love to see R* Leeds take on the next game (they've made LCS, VCS and CTW if someone's not recalling their name).

Hmm, haven't played VCS before, is the story good enough? I'd love to see R* San Diego wrote the next GTA SP campaign.

I'm playing through VCS for the first time, right now. And damn is it good. I think it's my favourite SD-era game, because of it's story. Victor actually develops, further than we ever saw a progonist develop, in the SD- era. If you love Vice City, Vice City stories is a must-play. The atmosphere of GTA VC, with the gameplay of GTA SA, with the interresting characters and story from GTA IV + EFLC.

LCS is quite bland though, it revolves to much around the same things as GTA III, with you doing missions for Salvatore and Donald Love the majority of the game. It's probably my least favourite 3d GTA game after III.

EDIT: R* San Diego did a really stellar job on the story of RDRedemption, the only problem with that storyis the pacing, and the lack of a clear antagonist. They should have kept to Bill williamson, instead of switching it Dutch. Other than that, it's amazing storywise.

But I'm getting way off topic.

Edited by simonp92

Kampret

Let them be with their precious child called GTAO, but let other studios to write SP campaign of next GTA. I would seriously love to see R* Leeds take on the next game (they've made LCS, VCS and CTW if someone's not recalling their name).

Hmm, haven't played VCS before, is the story good enough? I'd love to see R* San Diego wrote the next GTA SP campaign.

I'm playing through VCS for the first time, right now. And damn is it good. I think it's my favourite SD-era game, because of it's story. Victor actually develops, further than we ever saw a progonist develop, in the SD- era. If you love Vice City, Vice City stories is a must-play. The atmosphere of GTA VC, with the gameplay of GTA SA, with the interresting characters and story from GTA IV + EFLC.

LCS is quite bland though, it revolves to much around the same things as GTA III, with you doing missions for Salvatore and Donald Love the majority of the game. It's probably my least favourite 3d GTA game after III.

EDIT: R* San Diego did a really stellar job on the story of RDRedemption, the only problem with that storyis the pacing, and the lack of a clear antagonist. They should have kept to Bill williamson, instead of switching it Dutch. Other than that, it's amazing storywise.

Nah, you're not going off topic. We're discussing about character development and campaign story.

Must agree with your post, well said mate.

simonp92

Nah, you're not going off topic. We're discussing about character development and campaign story.

Must agree with your post, well said mate.

Thank you.

You should really play VCS. It's awesome.

MyDog

Speaking of VCS, I hate that it wasn't made for PC.

B Dawg

Yea, otherwise I'd play it. Never had a PS2, and my PS3 is dead.

Tycek

That depends who you ask. I like it, but there of course things that could be done better (the east island wasn't used enough due to time constraints). Story as a whole was quite good, with enough drama and goofiness. And if you have a game that incorporates Phil f*cking Collins into the campaign, you know it's going to be a good campaign.

Vercetti42

Just use PPSSPP.

B Dawg

Just use PPSSPP.

I forgot all about those. Good thing PPSSPP doesn't require a high-end computer. Thanks.

MyDog

That settles it. I will definitely acquire a PSP to play LCS, VCS and CW and finally complete the series.

Niobium

^you can buy LSC and VSC at the PSN store.

Onett

^you can buy LSC and VSC at the PSN store.

You can. And do.

Tyla

For those of you on PS, can you buy LCS and VCS from the PSN store on PS4 also or only on PS3?

I'm also playing BOGT at the moment and surprisingly enjoying it. You can really feel how out of place Bulgarin is in certain points of the story. Look at Going Deep. Why on earth is he accompanying you on the mission? His dialogue on the drive over is piss poor and the kind of crap that weakens his character. It's "fag man" this or "I'M NOT A F*CKING fa**ot!" that.

It seems his intention is to con Luis into killing Tony (similar to what Rocco tries to pull) so that he can use Maisonette to set himself up in LC. This actually isn't so bad. But they never really revisit that plot with Bulgarin. It could have made for a much more interesting ending if you had a two-way choice of killing Tony for either the Ancelottis or Bulgarin -- with Luis being pushed around by the mob if he went with Rocco, f*cked over if he threw in with Bulgarin -- or spare Tony and have to deal with both in an final epic mission.

Terrell

You want I should stick guitar up Rockstar North's ass? lol

Tyla

I want you should pay visit to their children at their schools. :^:

MrVance

Bulgarin was realy one terifying guy in IV, a f*cking maniac, his aperance and voice were f*cking scary. In TBoGT was still a psycho but little bit funnier and opened up because you meet him in his home where he is more relaxed. Which makes sense, why would he be relaxed with Niko if he considered him as an enemy?

It was hilarious when he fired an AK in the ceiling. His sister kind of reminds me on Ma Cipriani from LCS. You never see her, only hear her bullsh*t behind the wall.

Anyway, i wouldn`t want to meet guy like Bulgarin in my real life. He was one of very few, if not the only character in GTA who realy scared the sh*t out of you. And that mission "in the crosshairs" was so frightening that it scared the sh*t crap of me lol. I felt as almost scared as i would be in real life when caught in situation like that.

Terrell

I want you should pay visit to their children at their schools. :^:[/quote

Rockstar North are weaklings, once we remove their fanboys, that will give others a pause before buying their sh*t. Send my regards to "BIG" Rockstar North.....

I still have smell of meat in nose.....

lol

gamerzworld

That's the problem with TBoGT honestly. All characters there are so eccentric. I mean GTA has always had its fair share of eccentric characters but I felt it was too much.

It's an early sign that R*'s story writing was going downhill, and it showed on GTA V.

but then they made RDR and MP3, both awesome stories that came after TBOGT, but before V....

But those games aren't made by R* North, but by R* San Diego and R* Vancouver, respectively. A crappy story wouldn't match the atmosphere of RDR and MP3, and they somehow managed to realize that.

Going to rain a bit on everyone's arguments here...all of Rockstar's stories are largely written by one man at Rockstar NYC -- Dan Houser. Studios have little to do with the actual story. Also, Rockstar North was pretty heavily involved in developing Redemption, MP3, L.A. Noire, etc. In fact, North's president The Benz is listed as an executive producer on all of these titles.

Edited by gamerzworld

Sawnek

Tony was the only tolerable character. I really wish Rockstar would have stuck with TBoGT's original design, which was apparently going to be darker.

What was the original design for TBoGT? I haven't looked around about it but it sounds interesting if it was supposed to be darker.

Webster.

Agree with the OP.

In GTA IV, Ray Bulgarin was ruthless and dangerous. In TBOGT, he seemed like a push over. I can understand to a certain degree why Rockstar put him in TBOGT because you see in the movies that the Russians/Europeans are into the drugs and the flashy nightclubs, but I think Bulgarin being put in TBOGT kind of ruined his former reputation of being that dangerous crime lord.

Rockstar f*cked up again with putting Johnny Klebitz in GTA 5. In The Lost and Damned, they portrayed him as some hardman that didn't take any sh*t, but then when they put him in GTA 5 he was nothing but a pussy and a push over. I guess that's Rockstars bad decisions for ya

fefenc

Ray Bulgarin was ruthless and dangerous on TBoGT aswell when Luis told him he's keeping his diamonds, that f*cking scene on the building roof was something I would call dreadful and creepy. We must understand that noone is the badass, ruthless, mobster and untouchable human being all the time, not even the brazilian drug barons acts that way all the time. So TBoGT showed us a different bulgarin, it showed us how he acted during his normal times.

Edited by fefenc

Webster.

Ray Bulgarin was ruthless and dangerous on TBoGT aswell when Luis told him he's keeping his diamonds, that f*cking scene on the building roof was something I would call dreadful and creepy. We must understand that noone is the badass, ruthless, modter and untouchable human being all the time, not even brazilian drugs barons acts that way all the time. So TBoGT showed us a different bulgarin.

Sure, but in GTA IV you see Bulgarin speeding in his car just to kill Niko, but whereas in TBOGT you see Luis offending Bulgarin. I'm pointing out the fact that Rockstar felt the urge to add Bulgarin into TBOGT when the point was shown in GTA IV that he was ruthless. Just didn't really see the purpose of him being in the game period

Edited by Webster.

fefenc

Ray've had his reasons to chase Niko. For him, Niko was the faulty for a ship sink that costed Ray a lot of money, this is the reason he's always ruthless against Niko all the game, for him, Niko has a huge debt with him he can only pay with his life, since he doesn't have money. But with Luis was different, they didn't knew eachother and Ray didn't knew Luis was involved on the diamond deal.

Edited by fefenc

Webster.

Ray've had his reasons to chase Niko. For him, Niko was the faulty for a ship sink that costed Ray a lot of money, this is the reason he's always ruthless against Niko all the game, for him, Niko has a huge debt with him he can only pay with his life, since he doesn't have money. But with Luis was different, they didn't knew eachother and Ray didn't knew Luis was involved on the diamond deal.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's quite contradicting having Bulgarin act mean one minute but the next he acts completely different. The point of this thread is that TBOGT ruined Bulgarin's reputation as a hardman, and it truly did. Like I said earlier, Johnny didn't take any sh*t of nobody in Liberty City, but when he meets Trevor he starts acting all apologetic. These rough decisions by Rockstar are the causes of so many characters getting their rough reputations f*cked up

simonp92

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's quite contradicting having Bulgarin act mean one minute but the next he acts completely different. The point of this thread is that TBOGT ruined Bulgarin's reputation as a hardman, and it truly did. Like I said earlier, Johnny didn't take any sh*t of nobody in Liberty City, but when he meets Trevor he starts acting all apologetic. These rough decisions by Rockstar are the causes of so many characters getting their rough reputations f*cked up

You can't be serious. TBOGT Bulgarin, fires an AK 47 at his sister, whom he keeps in a cage. He kills an entire NOOSE team, with just two other guys and he cuts the head of the chef, and uses it to scare Luis. He sounds every bit as hard as the GTA IV Version. If not even more intimidating.

Also, R* didn't put Bulgarin in TBOGT because he fit the scene. They put him in because he was needed. In GTA IV, we get the impression that he knows Tony and Luis already, during the exchange on Colony Island. We, the player, needed to know how Bulgarin came to know them.

GTA_Sharpshooter

TBoGT did a lot of terrible things with characters.

Yusuf was just Roman but from another country, and with lots of money.

Mori was just f*cking ridiculous, just Brucie but with more Brucie.

As you mentioned, Bulgarin's character was completely trashed.

Henrique was terrible with the whole "I'm so dumb thing! Hahaha!"

As short as his appearance was, Santos was a f*cking joke and his dialogue was terrible.

And Luis was just a f*cking dick. Most of the stuff he said wasn't even remotely funny, it just made you think: "Wow, this guy's an asshole."

Tony was the only tolerable character. I really wish Rockstar would have stuck with TBoGT's original design, which was apparently going to be darker. Much like IV and TLAD. TBoGT was too over the top it wasn't even funny. I can't stand when people say the characters and story in IV and TLAD were too serious/depressing. There was plenty of comedic relief in almost every cutscene and mission.

But yes, Bulgarin was completely destroyed as a character. But I don't know if I agree with having Niko kill him. The way he was presented in IV it seemed more like he's just that guy Niko can, and never will get. I liked the idea of him being a part of someone else's story, and being taken down by a different protagonist.

I Agree with everything you said except the Yusuf stuff,he was f*ck*ng great character,what saved the game and Brucie,they made him look patetic in TBOGT,and people say TBOGT is better than TLAD gez'

MrVance

Yusuf is without any doubts THE funniest GTA character to date.

As for Bulgarin, he was shown in his private house, he was a bit cooled down and less tense/hostile with Luis (at least untill he discovered about diamonds) than with Niko whom he hated because of that Mediteranean ship thing.

Besides he is still a terifying psycho in TBoGT like someone already wrote above, he kills whole NOOSE team and he fires an AK in his sisters` cailing.

However he is more calm because he is at home. No matter what kind of psycho someone is he still would be relaxed in his home.

But it`s weird what they did with Brucie in TBoGT, they`ve softened him like a little bitch. In IV he looks like some fearless alpha male (altough he is still more talk-much-and-do-little kind of a person) but in TBoGT he is a little pussy who cries when his orange midget brother beats him at the chest game.

I really don`t get this habit R* seem to have for softening their characters and make them little pussies in their sequel games. They did it with Johnny and they did it with Brucie.

GTA_Sharpshooter

Yusuf is without any doubts THE funniest GTA character to date.

As for Bulgarin, he was shown in his private house, he was a bit cooled down and less tense/hostile with Luis (at least untill he discovered about diamonds) than with Niko whom he hated because of that Mediteranean ship thing.

Besides he is still a terifying psycho in TBoGT like someone already wrote above, he kills whole NOOSE team and he fires an AK in his sisters` cailing.

However he is more calm because he is at home. No matter what kind of psycho someone is he still would be relaxed in his home.

But it`s weird what they did with Brucie in TBoGT, they`ve softened him like a little bitch. In IV he looks like some fearless alpha male (altough he is still more talk-much-and-do-little kind of a person) but in TBoGT he is a little pussy who cries when his orange midget brother beats him at the chest game.

I really don`t get this habit R* seem to have for softening their characters and make them little pussies in their sequel games. They did it with Johnny and they did it with Brucie.

Orange midget..hehe it's funny

Also agree,the worst thing they did was Brucie,he was so cool in IV....

HollandNights

To me it felt as though they just needed another antagonist for TBOGT that people were already familiar with, and didn't want to add any more new people (After the addition of Evan, Rocco and his Uncle) so Bulgarin was the next best thing...

He was pretty much the only person we already hated that Niko hadn't already dispatched!

simonp92

To me it felt as though they just needed another antagonist for TBOGT that people were already familiar with, and didn't want to add any more new people (After the addition of Evan, Rocco and his Uncle) so Bulgarin was the next best thing...

He was pretty much the only person we already hated that Niko hadn't already dispatched!

Bulgarin was always supposed to be in GTA TBOGT. Replay Diamonds are a girls Best Friend from GTA IV.