2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

MyDog

TBoGT ruined Bulgarin (Spoilers)

MyDog

Forgive me if it has already been posted, but anyone else feel that TBoGT completely ruined the character of Bulgarin? I mean in GTA IV he was this mysterious, powerful and ruthless Russian crime lord whom Dimitri didn't betray simply because he was too powerful and in TBoGT he turns into this cartoonish joke.

I also hate the fact that Luis is the one to kill him. I mean I disagreed with the decision to kill Bulgarin but I think that if anyone should have killed him it should've been Niko.

Edited by MyDog

GroundZero

Totally agree with your opinion. He should have had a bigger role in IV. He only appeared once, and that was it. It honestly didn't feel like he was an antagonist...

Payne Killer

If only he was serious and dark in TBOGT. He seemed to cartoon like as you said.

MyDog

That's the problem with TBoGT honestly. All characters there are so eccentric. I mean GTA has always had its fair share of eccentric characters but I felt it was too much.

Shadowfennekin

Yeah. :/

Niko should have killed him.

And he actually appeared TWICE in IV not once. First, during Dmitri's betrayal, second after you trade the diamonds for Gracie.

universetwisters

Pretty much, the same way LCS ruined Donald Love.

Onett

How did it ruin him? (Only played III and Vice City.)

cp1dell

TBoGT did a lot of terrible things with characters.

Yusuf was just Roman but from another country, and with lots of money.

Mori was just f*cking ridiculous, just Brucie but with more Brucie.

As you mentioned, Bulgarin's character was completely trashed.

Henrique was terrible with the whole "I'm so dumb thing! Hahaha!"

As short as his appearance was, Santos was a f*cking joke and his dialogue was terrible.

And Luis was just a f*cking dick. Most of the stuff he said wasn't even remotely funny, it just made you think: "Wow, this guy's an asshole."

Tony was the only tolerable character. I really wish Rockstar would have stuck with TBoGT's original design, which was apparently going to be darker. Much like IV and TLAD. TBoGT was too over the top it wasn't even funny. I can't stand when people say the characters and story in IV and TLAD were too serious/depressing. There was plenty of comedic relief in almost every cutscene and mission.

But yes, Bulgarin was completely destroyed as a character. But I don't know if I agree with having Niko kill him. The way he was presented in IV it seemed more like he's just that guy Niko can, and never will get. I liked the idea of him being a part of someone else's story, and being taken down by a different protagonist.

Nico

Pretty much everything in TBOGT felt poorly written and forced compared to IV and TLAD.

Sure, APC, Buzzard and weapons were cool additions, but that massive and violent plow twist in characters like Bulgarin was rubbish. Much like the incoherences between the Stories games and the main 3D titles.

confederatestatesgta

yea i agree if you compare tbogt with tlad or vanilla gta 4 it feels like night and day. and same goes for bulgarin as niko you see him threaten you and nearly kill you to and in bogt he is a party kind of guy. he plays music and is friendly to luis until his betrayel. i would never have imagined bulgarin like he was in bogt and i dont think niko was either. bogt was ok but it was more for gameplay not story luis was uninteresting compared to niko or johnny. yusuf and tony were the only charecters i liked.

Mr.Nedich

I don't feel like it ruined him, it just showed he's not a two dimensional moustache twirling cardboard cutout villain like he was originally in IV.

MyDog

Only Bulgarin never was presented as a moustache twirling villain in GTA IV. In his two appearances, he's a calm ruthless mobster. In TBoGT he's a joke.

Mr.Nedich

Right and how original is the calm ruthless monster in video games? Also, he was hardly ever calm. He was pretty irate in both of his appearances, let's also not forget the fact he blames one hired hand for the sinking of an entire ship. Hardly calm or reasoned thought.

MyDog

How original is anything nowadays? Also, how is he NOT calm? He never raises his voice, his mannerisms are cool and collected. Compare him and Faustin for example.

Edited by MyDog

Tyla

It was just so... forced.

Bulgarin being in TBOGT wasn't the problem. It was how they weakened him as a threat by having him attempt (and fail) to kill Luis several times at the end of the game. It screams "we needed an antagonist but didn't know how to execute it."

He can track down and ruin Niko's life in one fell swoop in IV, but he can't kill one guy who stands in the same place at a club every night of the week??

The guitar playing band leader crap was just horrible but he needed a vice. Shame it wasn't tied to drugs or human trafficking or even stealing priceless artefacts. Bulgarin being a puppet master in IV, why did they never use him to explore the corrupt side of LC?

cp1dell

I don't feel like it ruined him, it just showed he's not a two dimensional moustache twirling cardboard cutout villain like he was originally in IV.

I'm all for adding depth to characters, but in my opinion having the character do a complete 180 is not the right way.

simonp92

I don't think it ruined him. It expanded on him. Did you think Brucie was ruined in TBOGT aswell?

Drunken Cowboy

All of Gay Tony was a cartoonish joke...

So is San Andreas and V, and they make money.

They had to tie Gay Tony into TLaD and IV somehow, but wanted to reach back to their vapid audience they lost.

I thought Bulgarin would have made a much better final antagonist for Niko. They show him in that warehouse with Little Jacob. "Niko, you used to work for me (I represent your tainted past of killing, smuggling, and selling people) and I'm going to kill you for something you didn't do to me."

Doesn't make much sense why Dimitri went against Niko instead. While I thought the Revenge ending was much more appropriate and probably canon to "Deal", Pegorino was a pretty sh*tty excuse for a final boss. All I remember doing was just sniping assholes for him because I failed his sh*tty odd job over and over.

Edited by Drunken Cowboy

cp1dell

I don't think it ruined him. It expanded on him. Did you think Brucie was ruined in TBOGT aswell?

In TBoGT we saw another side of Brucie. He was like this because Mori was around, and he put Mori on a pedestal.

In TBoGT, Bulgarin was turned into a complete joke. A villain that you couldn't take seriously. Even when he tried to threaten or intimidate Luis, he was still coming off as a goofy f*ck. They didn't expand on him. They didn't explore another side of him or add depth to his character. He became "some Russian guy who thinks he's tough and intimidating, but is really a bumbling moron who lives with his sister." They completely retconned the character he was in IV. There were no characteristics or traits left over from the character he was in IV, they practically rewrote him for TBoGT.

Which isn't surprising, considering TBoGT was originally going to be more mature and serious like IV/TLAD was. Bulgarin probably was always the antagonist, but when the rewrote TBoGT they probably toned him down so he would fit in with the rest of the game's goofy sh*t.

Kampret

That's the problem with TBoGT honestly. All characters there are so eccentric. I mean GTA has always had its fair share of eccentric characters but I felt it was too much.

It's an early sign that R*'s story writing was going downhill, and it showed on GTA V.

Payne Killer

It's an early sign that R*'s story writing was going downhill, and it showed on GTA V.

TBOGT's story is kind of more interesting than V. But yeah both suck ass.

simonp92

In TBoGT we saw another side of Brucie. He was like this because Mori was around, and he put Mori on a pedestal.

In TBoGT, Bulgarin was turned into a complete joke. A villain that you couldn't take seriously. Even when he tried to threaten or intimidate Luis, he was still coming off as a goofy f*ck. They didn't expand on him. They didn't explore another side of him or add depth to his character. He became "some Russian guy who thinks he's tough and intimidating, but is really a bumbling moron who lives with his sister." They completely retconned the character he was in IV. There were no characteristics or traits left over from the character he was in IV, they practically rewrote him for TBoGT.

Which isn't surprising, considering TBoGT was originally going to be more mature and serious like IV/TLAD was. Bulgarin probably was always the antagonist, but when the rewrote TBoGT they probably toned him down so he would fit in with the rest of the game's goofy sh*t.

You lost me when you started talking about Bulgarin's characteritics and traits in IV, since he had none. He was a mystery with no traits, as he only shows up two times in IV . He does come off as allot less intimidating in TBOGT,but that's because we get to know him better. He's no longer a mystery, but he's still a complete psycho and a worthy Antagonist. I don't get why he had to live in his sisters house though, when he has so much money. It is possible R* only had him live there to show that he doesn't care about human life, not even his own flesh and blood. He could have been handled allot better yes, but I don't think you can ruin a character we didn't really know. We had some ideas, how he was a person, but we couldn't possibly know in IV.

Edited by simonp92

Sergiu

I still laugh at the idea of Yusuf being planned as a serious businessman with serious faith in his family's religion as well as dedication.

Edited by CasualSergiu

MyDog

You lost me when you started talking about Bulgarin's characteritics and traits in IV, since he had none. He was a mystery with no traits, as he only shows up two times in IV . He does come off as allot less intimidating in TBOGT,but that's because we get to know him better. He's no longer a mystery, but he's still a complete psycho and a worthy Antagonist. I don't get why he had to live in his sisters house though, when he has so much money. It is possible R* only had him live there to show that he doesn't care about human life, not even his own flesh and blood. He could have been handled allot better yes, but I don't think you can ruin a character we didn't really know. We had some ideas, how he was a person, but we couldn't possibly know in IV.

For me, the mystery was the point.

Niobium

but then they made RDR and MP3, both awesome stories that came after TBOGT, but before V....

Kampret

but then they made RDR and MP3, both awesome stories that came after TBOGT, but before V....

But those games aren't made by R* North, but by R* San Diego and R* Vancouver, respectively. A crappy story wouldn't match the atmosphere of RDR and MP3, and they somehow managed to realize that.

B Dawg

We must get rid of R* North and leave GTA to the other studios!

Tycek

Let them be with their precious child called GTAO, but let other studios to write SP campaign of next GTA. I would seriously love to see R* Leeds take on the next game (they've made LCS, VCS and CTW if someone's not recalling their name).

Gummy 

Everyone has a side they reveal and don't, TBoGT reveals his other side we don't see in GTA IV.

Kampret

Let them be with their precious child called GTAO, but let other studios to write SP campaign of next GTA. I would seriously love to see R* Leeds take on the next game (they've made LCS, VCS and CTW if someone's not recalling their name).

Hmm, haven't played VCS before, is the story good enough? I'd love to see R* San Diego wrote the next GTA SP campaign.