GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

How to manually Shift

Twin turboV8

Twin turboV8

So many may not know about this but since all the cars in gta have auto gearboxes they automatically shift. So I have found like a solution for the guys who like to drive manual cars. So what you wanna do is you want to give the car gas then right when you hear the car about to shift you want to let go of the R2 or RT button for half a mila second and it will shift up. And if you have a custom exhaust it will even spit out flames when you manually shift. So once your about to shift just let go of gas button real quick and then press it.

You're shifting down, not up. Also, it's only effective in RWD cars (except electric ones) when you use it as the car shifts into third. It downshifts into the range of second that the auto gearbox bypasses (that usually contains the cars optimal power curve).

• Like 3

Tapping the hand brake between feathering the gas will downshift and just letting go of the gas at the end of a gear will upshift. THESE TECHNIQUES SLOW YOU DOWN unless you're breaking out of the end of second gear. It's only good for launching through/out of turns and drag racing.

Furry_Monkey

This isn't manual shifting. This is waiting for it to shift automatically and then doing something that makes you feel involved in the process. You're not, or you'd be able to shift gear when *you* want to.

Anyway, what's the big deal about manual shitting?

Edited by Furry_Monkey

Twin turboV8

This isn't manual shifting. This is waiting for it to shift automatically and then doing something that makes you feel involved in the process. You're not, or you'd be able to shift gear when *you* want to.

Anyway, what's the big deal about manual shitting?

but sometimes if you do this you can shift earlier so it kinda helps if you want to shift up early but its just Like a fun thing. To do. Nothing serious

SteelerMonkey746

Because in real life, manual shifting is fun. In a videogame, not so much.

• Like 8

Wastelander (Suzuki)

Yeah, but in video games it keeps the little spoiled kids out... Makes the game better in the long run. Most of these little kids on GTA are Call of Duty rejects that like things as easy as the can be. This would make most of them rage and sell the game most likely.

• Like 2

Actually in racing game I only race manual shifting, in some games your extract a better performance out of your car and reduce your lap times when you master the technique, In old NFS games like Carbon and Most Wanted, racing with manual gearbox would allow the reach higher top speeds because there was no rev limiters.
In Gran Turismo series this is usefull in some cars that have a very long gear ratios.
In V it's annoying how at some times after you've crashed head on against any car and your car ends up stuck in 3rd gear when instead of shifting into 2nd.

this, between driving at high speeds trough traffic while shooting at moving targets and at the same time manipulating the camera and keeping an eye on the minimap every now and than

the "pressure" of having to manually shift while navigating this chaotic environment would just be too much for me and the controller to handle.

perhaps in a race it could work but I've never really liked doing it in videogames, dno if it's having to shift with the controller or me not physically being in the car but it has always felt off somehow.

tapping a button 2 times just isn't the same as physically shifting from 5th to 3th (unless you have those formula 1 style paddle shifters I geuss)

Wastelander (Suzuki)

Actually in racing game I only race manual shifting, in some games your extract a better performance out of your car and reduce your lap times when you master the technique, In old NFS games like Carbon and Most Wanted, racing with manual gearbox would allow the reach higher top speeds because there was no rev limiters.

In Gran Turismo series this is usefull in some cars that have a very long gear ratios.

In V it's annoying how at some times after you've crashed head on against any car and your car ends up stuck in 3rd gear when instead of shifting into 2nd.

Thank you. This is why I'd like to see a Manual gearbox (f you spellcheck didn't get me this time) more control of your is a good thing, hell the drifting people on this game have been asking for this going back to Gta IV...

Indeed, I think we should have that option, after all atleast 80% of the game is about driving!
They could even get creative and make the gearboxes specifics for each vehicles, cheap, low end cars, or even some pure sports cars would have gearbox while fancy high-end cars should come with automatic gearboxes, also a option to play with manual gearboxes only or automatic.
I'm all for this, it would improve the driving part of this game that is dumb.

Wastelander (Suzuki)

Indeed, I think we should have that option, after all atleast 80% of the game is about driving!

They could even get creative and make the gearboxes specifics for each vehicles, cheap, low end cars, or even some pure sports cars would have gearbox while fancy high-end cars should come with automatic gearboxes, also a option to play with manual gearboxes only or automatic.

I'm all for this, it would improve the driving part of this game that is dumb.

Again thank you. The most control over the gearbox we have is to force it to downshift that's it

Arrows to Athens

Works best on Massacro and Banshee. When you downshift these two cars they take off like crazy. I always leave others behind at the start of a race doing this. You can even smoke an Adder by doing this on a runway at the airport.

Wastelander (Suzuki)

Works best on Massacro and Banshee. When you downshift these two cars they take off like crazy. I always leave others behind at the start of a race doing this. You can even smoke an Adder by doing this on a runway at the airport.

I've seen this in person. I've done it in my Futo to make up lost time, saved my life many a time While being chased

Edited by SuzukiBlaze

I didn't realize cars actually had gears in GTA... I thought it was just the sound with nothing really happening.

yeah its a nice boost but it has some variation and if you miss it youre going to just slow youre self down so there is somewhat a level of skill to the mid speed boost which always makes things more interesting.
you can get some good rear spin, especially in the banshee. You have to be carefull not to wipe out or what ever they call it IRL when you kick up the revs and then loose the back end, wipe out is more surfing i think. lol it feels like surfing, its really fun though when you get the really nice boost after you have broke into a series of corners and skate the back end around them with the boost and continue the boost out the corner.
just gotta go easy on the steering and ease off if youre loosing control, use the brakes to control it too i think, it really depends on the series of turns youre going to make but you want to brake to the cornering point (where you turn into the apex) and do the speed boost (using the handbrake and easing off, alternatively you can feathr the brakes instead of easing off. it has a different feel) and then once the rear wheels are spinning and youre getting the boost flick the back end around the corner and counter steer gently. NOTE: much easier written down than actually performed.
i used to have a really 'flicky' driving style, just joshin' around to try and drift and by steering away from the apex i nthe braking zone and then flicking it around the corner (and of course counter steering to gain traction and stop loosing speed from sliding sideways) i managed to get some nice 'drifts' and i swear that i used to get this boost sometimes as well... id like to see some data for the acceleration of the vehicles in gta... maybe im just deluded by exiting corners at different speeds in different gears.. im aware its just a game.

Twin turboV8

yeah its a nice boost but it has some variation and if you miss it youre going to just slow youre self down so there is somewhat a level of skill to the mid speed boost which always makes things more interesting.

you can get some good rear spin, Ors in the banshee. You have to be carefull not to wipe out or what ever they call it IRL when you kick up the revs and then loose the back end, wipe out is more surfing i think. lol it feels like surfing, its really fun though when you get the really nice boost after you have broke into a series of corners and skate the back end around them with the boost and continue the boost out the corner.

just gotta go easy on the steering and ease off if youre loosing control, use the brakes to control it too i think, it really depends on the series of turns youre going to make but you want to brake to the cornering point (where you turn into the apex) and do the speed boost (using the handbrake and easing off, alternatively you can feathr the brakes instead of easing off. it has a different feel) and then once the rear wheels are spinning and youre getting the boost flick the back end around the corner and counter steer gently. NOTE: much easier written down than actually performed.

i used to have a really 'flicky' driving style, just joshin' around to try and drift and by steering away from the apex i nthe braking zone and then flicking it around the corner (and of course counter steering to gain traction and stop loosing speed from sliding sideways) i managed to get some nice 'drifts' and i swear that i used to get this boost sometimes as well... id like to see some data for the acceleration of the vehicles in gta... maybe im just deluded by exiting corners at different speeds in different gears.. im aware its just a game.

thanks for the long ass thread lol

MagicNarcosis

Things are getting weird around here......

Do you make shift noises with your mouth, too?

Edited by MagicNarcosis

My first car was a stick. My second car was an Automatic. I habitually did what OP is referring to IRL. At 25k miles I blew my transmission out lololol.

Good thing it was under warranty. The car dealer was shocked with what I had done. Good times.

The game is auto mostly because most Americans have no clue how to use gears as they mostly all have auto cars :).

(Where as in the UK, most of our cars are manual, to the extent, if you passed your driving test in an auto, you are not allowed to drive a manual and would have to take another test to drive a manual.)

I actually beat a massacre with my sultan by doing this technique

You must not have read the part where I said it only works in RWD cars except electric ones

this, between driving at high speeds trough traffic while shooting at moving targets and at the same time manipulating the camera and keeping an eye on the minimap every now and than

the "pressure" of having to manually shift while navigating this chaotic environment would just be too much for me and the controller to handle.

perhaps in a race it could work but I've never really liked doing it in videogames, dno if it's having to shift with the controller or me not physically being in the car but it has always felt off somehow.

tapping a button 2 times just isn't the same as physically shifting from 5th to 3th (unless you have those formula 1 style paddle shifters I geuss)

Fanatec Wheel system