3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

General Cricket Thread

Girish

Ashwin is a legend. When he retires he'll be seen as one of the premier spinners in tests but I hope he keeps scoring runs like today, so that he can be seen as one of the premier all rounders as well. Brilliant knock today. 

Edit: and what an entertaining last wicket partnership haha, for once our tail wagged! 

Edited by Wayne Kerr
  • YEE 1

It's the IPL auction tomorrow, who do you want in your team? (It's only two other people posting here but still) 

I want us to get one if not both of Moeen and Morris back but perhaps most of all I want to see Maxwell in RCB. That's right, he was a flop last year but ngl after he expressed interest in teaming up with AB I'm excited to see what he can do for us, and our 3-4-5 being Kohli, AB and Maxi would be a killer middle order trio. Maxwell is a great player of spin too, AB and Kohli have their struggles with spin in the middle overs so he'll help us with that. 

Speaking of AB, it's his birthday today. Rock on Mr 360! 

Edited by Wayne Kerr
1 hour ago, Wayne Kerr said:

It's the IPL auction tomorrow, who do you want in your team? 

I want us to get one if not both of Moeen and Morris back but perhaps most of all I want to see Maxwell in RCB. That's right, he was a flop last year but ngl after he expressed interest in teaming up with AB I'm excited to see what he can do for us, and our 3-4-5 being Kohli, AB and Maxi would be a killer middle order trio. Maxwell is a great player of spin too, AB and Kohli have their struggles with spin in the middle overs so he'll help us with that. 

Speaking of AB, it's his birthday today. Rock on Mr 360! 

We really need someone in the middle order, last year we sucked barely reaching RR~7 during overs 7-15. The point of releasing Morris was to buy him cheaper, dk about Moeen tho. The big buy according to me would be Dawid Malan although he hasn't played in India.

I really feel Kohli should open because Paddikal isn't upto the mark. He scores ~70 runs in 65 balls which isn't a big win-win for the team. Josh Phillipe played really well during the Big Bash, expecting him to the same. Sundar can finish as well if he bats with intent like he did in Australia and now. Siraj has also improved a lot since his nightmare 2019 season. Chahal and Zampa are the prime spinners. As far as Saini is concerned I wouldn't pick him considering he poor economy. Another fast bowler is needed in case Richardson is injured. 

1 minute ago, Mr JoeStalin said:

We really need someone in the middle order, last year we sucked barely reaching RR~7 during overs 7-15. The point of releasing Morris was to buy him cheaper, dk about Moeen tho.

Yeah fair point about Morris, hopefully we do get him back. I think Maxwell will be that great pick in the middle order, he butchers spin too. I know Dube didnt set the tournament on fire but I wish they buy him back too, Dube and Sundar are promising prospects that can really tonk it even if they didnt live up to their potential yet. I dont know if there is a better seam bowling all rounder in India except Hardik anyway. Maxwell, Dube, Sundar and maybe Moeen/Morris hopefully will be quite good, It's very similar to our previous middle order but Maxwell will be a huge difference imo.

5 minutes ago, Mr JoeStalin said:

I really feel Kohli should open because Paddikal isn't upto the mark. He scores ~70 runs in 65 balls which isn't a big win-win for the team. Josh Phillipe played really well during the Big Bash, expecting him to the same. Sundar can finish as well if he bats with intent like he did in Australia and now. Siraj has also improved a lot since his nightmare 2019 season. Chahal and Zampa are the prime spinners. As far as Saini is concerned I wouldn't pick him considering he poor economy. Another fast bowler is needed in case Richardson is injured.

Agree with most of this except I'd still play both Saini and Siraj, I still think Saini will do good if we back him.

The Indian squad for the t20 series against England has been announced

317048.1.jpg 

Great to see Pant and Bhuvi back along with Surya and Kishan making their first entries into the squad. Feel a bit bad for Samson though

My team would be

Rohit

KL

Kohli

Kishan

Pant

Pandya

Sundar

Thakur

Bhuvi

Chahal

Natarajan

Sucks to leave out Chahar but when Bhuvi is there he already performs Chahar's role of swinging the new ball + he can also bowl at the death so I go with Bhuvi. You could maybe have Chahar in place of Thakur but I like his batting lower down the order so I went with Thakur.

Iyer will almost certainly play at 4 and he's a good choice too, its between him, Surya and Kishan. I went with Kishan but I feel they'll start with Shreyas.

I hope India produce an even bigger raging turner of a pitch than last time for the next test. :devil:

• Best Bru 1
Mr JoeStalin
2 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

I hope India produce an even bigger raging turner of a pitch than last time for the next test. :devil:

Sir Viv has said the he wants the next pitch to be like this one only.

BUT,

An insider info said the next one is gonna be a high scoring one, maybe they making a pitch which hardly deteriorates. 

1 hour ago, DeltaV20 said:

PSL got postponed :cry:

From what I read, the PCB should have been a lot stricter enforcing the bio bubbles, certain team owners kept meeting the players it seems and these owners were obviously outside the bubble so it was a red flag, and tbh when the overseas players like Tom Banton and Fawad Ahmed contracted the virus I expected something like this. 

But it sucks, I feel for you man. I was glum when IPL didn't happen in April May last year thinking it won't happen, luckily it did but I remember that sadness thinking our cricket league wouldn't be happening but it's a worse feeling for you guys, it got postponed entirely. Summer franchise cricket despite what the purists say is entertaining af and missing it sucks, hopefully they find a time slot to reschedule it, Cricinfo says they may reschedule it to May which would clash with latter stages of the IPL, now that would be spicy! 

In the Ind v Eng match, Pant hit his maiden ton in India, finally! He really deserved it after getting out in the 90s like 3 times in India. Hopefully we take a 120 run lead atleast, and I want Sundar to reach his ton too. 

Mr JoeStalin
48 minutes ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Hopefully we take a 120 run lead atleast, and I want Sundar to reach his ton too. 

Possible if he doesn't run out of partners 🥴

Mr JoeStalin
18 hours ago, Mr JoeStalin said:

Possible if he doesn't run out of partners 🥴

This aged well 😭 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

A really satisfying end to the India England series as an Indian fan. This series and the Australian tour will be looked back upon as landmark achievements in Indian cricket history I feel.

What a series between Pakistan and South Africa huh! First ODI had no business being so close after that Babar-Imam partnership and the second match, what batting by Zaman, if only he had some support from just one other batsman. As it stands, his effort is the highest individual score in a chase. For South Africa, Rassie is just too good. 

It's IPL season again! 

from an RCB fan pov I actually feel our team is weaker than last year's, we don't have a gun bowler like we did with Morris and releasing Dube was a mistake. Let's hope Maxwell shows his Australia form for us. 

I like the idea of Kohli opening, I guess Padikkal will miss the first match, so I wonder who will partner Virat. Kohli Ab Maxwell as out 2 3 4 is a strong top order but leaves our middle order kind of shaky. 

Mumbai have a scary lineup, oh man. I can see them winning a third consecutive time tbh. But MI are historically slow starters so let's hope it is to RCBs advantage. 

Mr JoeStalin

A really satisfying end to the India England series as an Indian fan. This series and the Australian tour will be looked back upon as landmark achievements in Indian cricket history I feel.

How so quick sir?

I like the idea of Kohli opening, I guess Padikkal will miss the first match, so I wonder who will partner Virat. Kohli Ab Maxwell as out 2 3 4 is a strong top order but leaves our middle order kind of shaky. 

Paddikal was tested positive on 22 March xD why would he miss?

49 minutes ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Mumbai have a scary lineup, oh man. I can see them winning a third consecutive time tbh. But MI are historically slow starters so let's hope it is to RCBs advantage. 

Ambani moment

54 minutes ago, Mr JoeStalin said:

Paddikal was tested positive on 22 March xD why would he miss?

Remember reading on some online news outlet that Padikkal may miss the first two games, but Idk if its trustworthy. Even if he misses out we could give Finn Allen a try, he's got really good domestic stats in NZ and hit a 29 ball 71 for NZ against Ban. But that would upset our overseas balance somewhat. I think we'll start with our overseas players being AB, Maxwell, Jamieson and Dan Christian. What do you think? I am not convinced by Jamieson the t20 player but they paid such a hefty price for him that they will surely start with him. I hope he does well though.

AB saving RCB and MI losing the opener, some things in life never change. 😁 

Kudos to our death bowling too, Jamieson and Siraj kept it tight and Harshal was the man. Hopefully a sign of things to come

• Like 1
  • Best Bru 1

Last year in UAE it was CSKs batting that messed up, this time on the flat Mumbai pitches their bowling looked listless. For their sake you would hope it's a one off performance but we'll see, they have four more games to play in Mumbai. 

What a performance by Shaw and Dhawan, thrilling to see. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Last year in UAE it was CSKs batting that messed up, this time on the flat Mumbai pitches their bowling looked listless. For their sake you would hope it's a one off performance but we'll see, they have four more games to play in Mumbai. 

What a performance by Shaw and Dhawan, thrilling to see. 

:cry:

CSK is batting very deep this time. The team they fielded yesterday featured batting up to number 10, and even number 11 Deepak Chahar is a decent batsman. 

You're right however that their bowling looked listless. Absolutely clueless. Though Bravo showed his experience with good figures at the back end of the game. Also I'm still confident that Thakur just had a bad day as we know he's an aggressive wicket-taker and a decent T20 bowler with a good number of variations. Maybe it was the dew but nothing worked out for him. Deepak Chahar too has to look to strictly get his line and length back. And Sam Curran is bowling too full for Indian pitches.

Mumbai has always been a chasing team's heaven and considering CSK's deep batting and comparatively poor bowling, if they're put in to bat first again they really have to go for their shots as early with as much intent as possible and hopefully gather a target northward of 200. With the batting depth backing them the batsmen should be less afraid to take calculated risks with scoring quickly. Or worst case scenario they should sacrifice Faf's or Bravo's place in the team for someone like an Ngidi or Behrendorff, which would be a tough call to make since Faf is an outstanding batsman who just had one bad night and Bravo bowled well in the opening game. I doubt they'll drop Curran and Moeen due to their allround value (even if Curran struggles to bowl in Indian conditions, since he's a good hit with the bat, and one of their best fielders)

CSK has lots of questions to answer for now. But I think their bowling attack has the capability of bouncing back, and I certainly hope so lol.

On a side note, I'm a huge Pujara fan and would really like to see him have a go, even though it's probably unlikely considering the amount of batsmen they already have lmao. Even Uthappa is sitting out. Pujara was actually smashing the bowlers left and right in the nets though which was interesting to see

CSK lost the game in their batting powerplay itself in a sense, 33/2 in 6 overs on that flat Mumbai track was criminal. But overall it was more the bowlers inability to get wickets that cost them, they looked like they were out of ideas against a rampaging Shaw and Dhawan. As you say Rake, Ngidi or Behrendorff or even Tahir should come to the team the next game after this performance, though yeah whom to drop is hard. I'd honestly drop Bravo despite him being comfortably the best bowler yesterday because the bowler who replaces him should ideally give a similar if not better performance, and Bravo's batting is not really needed in this side. Faf is too good a batsman to leave out for this CSK top order imo. They could also go with the same team and go hard from ball one with their deep batting lineup but I feel its better to get a strike bowler and sacrifice a little batting depth. You would also hope the Chahar Thakur duo pull up their socks fast.

Pujara returning to the IPL would be a dream wouldnt it? :D But unless Gaikwad or Rayadu do horribly I dont see a place for him unfortunately and even then they are likely to go with Uthappa first.

I have a feeling this team will do better chasing than batting first tbh.

On a positive note how good was Raina? Did not see that coming, he was striking the ball so cleanly. Unfortunate that he got out the way he did, Jadeja has a habit of being involved in run outs lmao. Dhoni though, too early to judge and I really hope he turns things around but given CSKs batting depth you could see him batting as low as 7 or 8 given his current form.

DC is scary good especially when Rabada and Nortje return. If Shaw and Dhawan provide similar platforms in the coming games they will be very hard to beat with Pant, Stoinis and Hetmyer to come. Rahane is kind of the odd one out in this lineup tbh but I guess if an early wicket goes he is there to prevent a collapse. I would still prefer Smith at 3 but who do you drop is the tricky part I guess.

4 minutes ago, Mr JoeStalin said:

And today we have The Irishman vs Sandpaper :p

Does Morgan paint houses? :p 

Excited to see Russell in action after a while. Wonder if SRH will go Bairstow or Williamson (or both)? Will KKR go with Narine or Shakib? 

Predict an SRH victory. 

22 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Predict an SRH victory.

So much for that. 

But really good to see the unheralded stars in Rana and Tripathi shine. So too with Samad for SRH, you get the feeling if he had come earlier the result could potentially have been different. 

23 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Wonder if SRH will go Bairstow or Williamson (or both)? Will KKR go with Narine or Shakib? 

It was Bairstow and Shakib respectively. Bairstow did a good job and probably cemented his place for the next few games but wasn't too impressed by Shakib, he got Saha out first ball but not much else. Still too early to pass judgement though. 

Next match should be a good one, two power packed batting lineups on that Wankhede pitch, oh boy. Predicting a Rajasthan victory, think they will be the dark horses this tournament despite achieving nothing of note since the first IPL

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1