Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,792 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
DannyMan

Why do PC get such high FPS?

DannyMan

Never could of afford a PC so i have little experience with that side of the gaming world. So my question is why do pc get high Fps when console get 30. What makes it worse that 360 and ps3 also runs in 30fps. i mean shouldn't there be upgrade? What exactly in the hardware is not getting any technical advancements? Will console ever run at 60?

Edited by DannyMan

Xerukal

Consoles are preset configurations that are stuck with a set of hardware given to them by the developers. This allows the game developers to optimize their games for them more easily due to the identical hardware configurations.

PCs can be constantly customized and changed up in a variety of ways. Upgraded, tinkered with and even downgraded in some cases. This requires more effort from the developers, because they need to take a wide range of configurations and specifications into account when they optimize their games. Some developers choose not to do this at all, or they fail to do it well enough, that's how we end up with sh*tty ports/PC versions of games.

The reason PCs get higher frames per second in games is because their hardware is more powerful than the consoles. Typically, at least. There will always be PCs that are not intended for gaming. But we're talking about gaming here anyway, so that's besides the point.

Edited by Xerukal

Andreas

It's because of the hardware that is used in the consoles and the complexity of games and their engines. The PS4 and Xbox One have the specs of a mid-end PC but they still can outperform the said PC, because they are closed systems whose hardware barely changes over the course of a generation. The new consoles are a lot closer to a PC than say, the PS3 and Xbox 360 were because of the x86-architecture. Video games that are developed with the new platforms in mind are visually far superior to their current/last-gen counterparts and also have more complexe physics, AI, etc. which explains why it's still hard to aim for 60 FPS. This is a non-issue on PC, since the hardware available can be several times faster than for example the PS4.

utack

Never could of afford a PC so i have little experience with that side of the gaming world. So my question is why do pc get high Fps when console get 30. What makes it worse that 360 and ps3 also runs in 30fps. i mean shouldn't there be upgrade? What exactly in the hardware is not getting any technical advancements? Will console ever run at 60?

It is often intentional choice of developers and a balance between visuals and how smooth a game is.

Most of the developers decide to use the GPU/CPU power to make a game with better visuals rather than render more FPS.

I think that is for two reasons. Most people on console seem to be ok with 30 fps and you can show off more impressive screenshots.

In general "PC" does not always get high FPS.

Person A with a old machine might even have FPS dropping down to less than what the consoles do.

Person B with a higher end machine wants to have the finest shadows and highest texture resolution but is ok with 30fps, so sets everything to ultra.

Person C sets some settings to medium or even low instead of high to achieve constant 60fps even on a lower end GPU.

So the gamer can set his/her own priority of the balance between visual quality and smoothness.

Edited by utack

Spider-Vice

In layman's terms, the console has a fixed set of specifications that games can be optimised to work with without much hassle. As for PC's, there are millions of PC's everywhere, with varying specifications. Now, if a PC exceeds a console's parts by a big margin, it will obviously be much, much faster. Mind you, the console's specifications can only do so much.

Nick930930

It's because of the hardware that is used in the consoles and the complexity of games and their engines. The PS4 and Xbox One have the specs of a mid-end PC but they still can outperform the said PC, because they are closed systems whose hardware barely changes over the course of a generation. The new consoles are a lot closer to a PC than say, the PS3 and Xbox 360 were because of the x86-architecture. Video games that are developed with the new platforms in mind are visually far superior to their current/last-gen counterparts and also have more complexe physics, AI, etc. which explains why it's still hard to aim for 60 FPS. This is a non-issue on PC, since the hardware available can be several times faster than for example the PS4.

Lots of PC gamers like to say the next gen consoles are mid-end PC builds, I very much disagree. I'd say they are high end systems. There's obviously a few PC systems that are FAR stronger than the next gen consoles, but they are not nearly as common. The next gen consoles run most of their games on a mix of high/ultra graphic configurations for the same games that are available on PC.

Ash_735

Will console ever run at 60?

It's up to the developer if they want to sacrifice some graphical detail to maintain 60fps, and sadly, you can't advertise framerate in pictures, so most opt for 30fps so they can whack up the graphics.

That said, so far on PS4, there's been plenty of 60fps games that were 30fps Last Gen:

- Metro 2033

- Metro Last Light

- The Last of Us

- Diablo III

- Sniper Elite 3

- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

- Outlast

- Trine 2

And not to mention of course the boat load of indie games. And then you have the variable framerate up to 60 games such as inFAMOUS Second Son, KillZone, etc.

But Rockstar, Rockstar seem more like a company to stay at 30 and improve the graphics, really push them instead, even their racing games were only 30fps.

FinalSynFrey

Lots of PC gamers like to say the next gen consoles are mid-end PC builds, I very much disagree. I'd say they are high end systems. There's obviously a few PC systems that are FAR stronger than the next gen consoles, but they are not nearly as common. The next gen consoles run most of their games on a mix of high/ultra graphic configurations for the same games that are available on PC.

PC Gamers like myself do expect Developers to take advantage of the full power of High-end PC Hardware, but unfortunately, this will never happen unless we have a game that is exclusive to PC. Even if you own a GTX 680 or a Titan in SLI, your games won't use 100% of its potential. Is this something that us gamers can change? Probably not.

At the end of the day, i would rather see how far the developers can push the Current-Gen Consoles. We've seen that from last-gen with the Xbox 360 and PS3 where developers managed to take full use of the Console's capabilities. Halo 4 ran well and even looks good for a 7-8 Year old Hardware. GTA V was a big technical achievement for the Xbox 360 and PS3. I'm even surprised how they managed to put all this stuff with little RAM to spare. And don't forget about Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and especially the Last of Us where they really pushed the PS3, despite its complex programming with the Cell CPU.

I still wonder how far devs can push the PS4 and Xbox One. That's something i want to see. But at the same time, i do want to see new innovations in Gameplay, not just graphics.

r34ld34l

Yes, on 900p or even less and even then you cant expect more than 30fps (for AAA games).

And yes I disagree with your statement. If devs would make a game specific for ONE PC hardware like 780 Ti, 4970K, 32GB, etc. You can bet your ass that game would be most advanced game. But of course who really have exactly that hardware?

I can easly say consoles are something between low/mid-end PC. And mid-end system is about 1000$ (only hardware itself, no LCD, keyboard, ...) But if you wanna build PC at same price as consoles... then no, you would be better off with a console, unless you would need PC for other work and not only games.

Edited by r34ld34l

Nick930930

Yes, on 900p or even less and even then you cant expect more than 30fps (for AAA games).

And yes I disagree with your statement. If devs would make a game specific for ONE PC hardware like 780 Ti, 4970K, 32GB, etc. You can bet your ass that game would be most advanced game. But of course who really have exactly that hardware?

I can easly say consoles are something between low/mid-end PC. And mid-end system is about 1000$ (only hardware itself, no LCD, keyboard, ...) But if you wanna build PC at same price as consoles... then no, you would be better off with a console, unless you would need PC for other work and not only games.

lol next gen consoles are not low/mid-end PCs. That's an absolutely ludicrous claim. You realize that a low end machine is a dual core CPU with a video card as far back as the 8800 right? The PS3/Xbox360 are low/mid-end PCs. The PS4/XboxOne's are powerful machines. Obviously they don't have the graphical capabilities to run at 4k or 60fps at 1080p for SOME games. But I compared games like Battlefield 4 on ULTRA maxed out directly to the PS4 counterpart, and they looked close to identical despite them obviously having a different resolution.

The difference between the 900p and 1080p is very negligible. The only thing that didn't look as good was anti aliasing.

Edited by Andreas
Removed quote-train.

mszigeti

High FPS? LOL Try GTA IV. I have a 280X Vapor-X and still running like sh*t with average graphics settings.

r34ld34l

lol next gen consoles are not low/mid-end PCs. That's an absolutely ludicrous claim. You realize that a low end machine is a dual core CPU with a video card as far back as the 8800 right? The PS3/Xbox360 are low/mid-end PCs. The PS4/XboxOne's are powerful machines. Obviously they don't have the graphical capabilities to run at 4k or 60fps at 1080p for SOME games. But I compared games like Battlefield 4 on ULTRA maxed out directly to the PS4 counterpart, and they looked close to identical despite them obviously having a different resolution.

The difference between the 900p and 1080p is very negligible. The only thing that didn't look as good was anti aliasing.

Umm no.

900p upscaled to 1080p at about High Settings. "Very negligible" are you kidding me?

1440000 pixels vs 2073600 pixels. And low/mid system is 4-core and lets say 560 or something in that line (as of 18.8.2014), this low/mid will change in next few months. And remember we are talking about GAMERS here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-face-off

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/27/watch-dogs-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/86291/

Hell just google "PC vs PS4".

And low vs. mid vs. high-end PC

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pc_buyers_guide_summer_2014,1.html

Again when comparing console vs PC in price and you will only play games, then yes Console wins. And now please give me some sources of where did you get those facts you are claiming or stop with this nonsense and giving other people false claims.

Edited by Andreas
Removed quote-train.

Ash_735

Uh oh, here we go again, someone says something positive about consoles f*ck U DIS DA PC SECTION f*ck U, f*ck U, GET OUT, CONSOLES R sh*tTY, sh*t, TECH, HOLDING BACK MANKIND, SUPERIOR MASTER RACE GODS US PC GAMERS ARE NOT SATISFIED, FOOL, LEAVE THIS WORLD, KILL YOURSELF, COMMIT SUICIDE, NEVER QUESTION PC GAMING.

Wheatley

There are a few 60FPS games on previous gen (Xbox 360 & PS3) that exist, however most if not all run at 720p.

• Skate & Skate 2
  • Tony Hawk's Project 8
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Wipeout HD
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Burnout Revenge
  • Driver: San Francisco
  • Doom 3 BFG Edition
  • Diablo III
  • DMC4
  • Devil May Cry HD Collection
  • Dante's Inferno
  • Dead or Alive 4 & 5
  • Forza 2,3 & 4
  • Goldeneye Reloaded
  • Hitman HD Trilogy
  • Killer Is Dead
  • Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
  • Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
  • Mortal Kombat 9
  • Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • Ninja gaiden 2 & 3
  • Phantasy Star Universe
  • Ridge Racer 6
  • Rage
  • Rayman Origins
  • Rayman Legends
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Tekken 6
  • Super Street Fighter IV
  • Soulcalibur IV
  • Virtua Fighter 5
  • Virtua Tennis 3 & 4
Edited by Wheatley

Ash_735

Fighting Games HAVE to run at 60fps, otherwise it's unplayable, frames actually matter there, which is why I'm surprised fighting games never took off well on PC with their oh so superior master race hardware run the games at bajillion fps.

I like how PC Gamers bring up the few games that arn't 1080p on PS4, you know, like Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4, we all know how prime examples they are of PC Gaming, OH NO WAIT, sh*tty ports and rush jobs ONLY happen on PC right, the same can't apply to consoles, we'll just use those games as examples of what consoles can do "best".

Pure Bias, you guys should subscribe to the facebook page I pointed out earlier, you'd fit right in, I don't even think most of you enjoy games anymore, you're just here to put down consoles and brag about how superior PC Gaming is as you sit on hundreds of unplayed games you bought on a Summer Sale.

edit: There are more games that run at 60fps than those by the way, also Wipeout HD is 1080p and 60fps, sadly the best example I can find on YouTube is 1080p/30...

Edited by Ash_735

Murray Bunyan

That is entirely subjective. However, most people compare their hardware to the current generation of PC graphics cards' hardware. That would put these current generation of consoles somewhere between entry level and mid-range category. It's not 2006 any more.

To say that there's a negligible difference between BF4 on ultra and BF4 on PS4 is absolutely ludicrous.

r34ld34l

Fighting Games HAVE to run at 60fps, otherwise it's unplayable, frames actually matter there, which is why I'm surprised fighting games never took off well on PC with their oh so superior master race hardware run the games at bajillion fps.

I like how PC Gamers bring up the few games that arn't 1080p on PS4, you know, like Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4, we all know how prime examples they are of PC Gaming, OH NO WAIT, sh*tty ports and rush jobs ONLY happen on PC right, the same can't apply to consoles, we'll just use those games as examples of what consoles can do "best".

Pure Bias, you guys should subscribe to the facebook page I pointed out earlier, you'd fit right in, I don't even think most of you enjoy games anymore, you're just here to put down consoles and brag about how superior PC Gaming is as you sit on hundreds of unplayed games you bought on a Summer Sale.

edit: There are more games that run at 60fps than those by the way, also Wipeout HD is 1080p and 60fps, sadly the best example I can find on YouTube is 1080p/30...

Are you talking to me? DId you even check what he wrote? He brought up BF4. Please stop replying when you don't read entire page. Did I said consoles cant run 1080p at 60fps? f*ck no, but BF4 can't, nor Watch_Dogs and many other games, but yes there are games that can run 60fps on consoles at 1080p. But then you have to ask you how much would PC have?

Please stop with this nonsense when you don't even read. I did never said consoles are bad, they are quite good, when it comes to exlusives and sport games (if you count controller as console thing).

Edited by r34ld34l

utack

Oh boy this thread is going places.

Have to scroll quite a bit to see the last real post with an answer to the question this thread should be about.

Andreas

Oh boy this thread is going places.

Indeed.

The question of the topic creator has been answered. Let's get back to discuss about GTAV PC in the other topics of this section, shall we?