2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Suprised It Hasn't Happened Yet

Rabid Vulpix

Rabid Vulpix

I don't usually complain about the modding/hacking. If encountered, it's generally easy to switch sessions or simply leave the game.

However something crossed my mind today:

Considering "Cash Cards" are purchased with real money, couldn't R* face lawsuits for not stopping the theft of real money after all this time?

There are plenty of people out there that buy the Cash Cards, spending real money in the game, so when that's stolen by a modder/hacker, technically that's a real life crime. R* and/or Microsoft/Sony has allowed it to go on for so long. Transaction records are available with Xbox Live purchases. Combine that with someone who has a recoding device, who by chance is an unfortunate victim of a hacker/modder. Cash Cards can cost up to $100, so they aren't necessarily cheap. Not everyone just brushes such an event aside.

I'm just surprised there's all these complaints, yet not heard of anybody stepping and taking action about the thefts they have been a victim of.

Edited by Foreverpast
  • Like 1

not sure digital items have much weigh in court, i know if you try to sell video game items on paypal and get scammed (like say they get the item but reverse payment) paypal will do nothing about it because you cannot prove you actually gave them the item.

Rabid Vulpix

not sure digital items have much weigh in court, i know if you try to sell video game items on paypal and get scammed (like say they get the item but reverse payment) paypal will do nothing about it because you cannot prove you actually gave them the item.

There are enough people already complaining about the money thefts. In addition, some do have capture systems with their gaming consoles.

Some people do spend $100-$200 in Cash Cards, and digital or otherwise that money being stolen is a cyber/online crime.

It's not that hard to prove what you've actually purchased online.

Just report it, I had all of my weapons stolen and reported it to rockstar, they replied that since I had purchased a cash card before it happened they where going to send me 200,000 gta cash even though they normally don't reimburse for weapons.

I don't usually complain about the modding/hacking. If encountered, it's generally easy to switch sessions or simply leave the game.

Considering "Cash Cards" are purchased with real money, couldn't R* face lawsuits for not stopping the theft of real money after all this time?

There are plenty of people out there that buy the Cash Cards, spending real money in the game, so when that's stolen by a modder/hacker, technically that's a real life crime. R* and/or Microsoft/Sony has allowed it to go on for so long. Transaction records are available with Xbox Live purchases. Combine that with someone who has a recoding device, who by chance is an unfortunate victim of a hacker/modder. Cash Cards can cost up to $100, so they aren't necessarily cheap. Not everyone just brushes such an event aside.

I'm just surprised there's all these complaints, yet not heard of anybody stepping and taking action about the thefts they have been a victim of.

1) People who buy cash cards are idiots, plain and simple. It's a waste of money.

2) Rockstar hasn't broken any laws and as such is immune from civil or criminal penalities. There is a group of us trying to get a class action lawsuit off the ground but so far there is no legal merit, despite the really sh*tty things Rockstar has done and is doing. It's their game, they can do or allow whatever they want for any or no reason at all.

RandallFlagg00

1) People who buy cash cards are idiots, plain and simple. It's a waste of money.

2) Rockstar hasn't broken any laws and as such is immune from civil or criminal penalities. There is a group of us trying to get a class action lawsuit off the ground but so far there is no legal merit, despite the really sh*tty things Rockstar has done and is doing. It's their game, they can do or allow whatever they want for any or no reason at all.

You're trying to get a class action suit against rockstar? What for?

You're trying to get a class action suit against rockstar? What for?

Because they haven't done things the way he wants....because THAT'S how the law works. The butt-hurt and law-suite gland is large in this one.

Rabid Vulpix

1) That's your own personal opinion. Some may have the same thought, but there are plenty of people out there who think spending hours & hours grinding for cash is for idiots. If you have the real money to spend as you wish, you can simply buy cash cards and spend the "money grinding" time on real life (away from game) activities instead.

2) It's on their own servers, all this time not stepping up to the actual online theft of real money that's been spent/transactions throughout their network. So yes they are responsible for making sure illegal activity does not persist/continue, especially for long periods of time. If by some unexplainable means they are not responsible for not solving the issue, then it would tie with Microsoft & Sony's online marketplace services.

Edited by Foreverpast