4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Flachbau

Official Queen Discussion Topic

Flachbau

102... Innuendo

Do not agree. I guess people don't like that hard sounding type of music... and of course BoRhap would get number one!

Queen

I'm right there with you. Innuendo was a masterpiece. It's certainly better than tracks like If You Can't Beat Them or The Invisible Man (despite them all being good songs). However, while it was well received during its release, it's not a well remembered Queen hit. I have never heard it on the radio.

I would have put other songs much higher too. For example, The March of the Black Queen is one of their most complex pieces and was arguably the highlight track on Queen II.

Oh, and it's a crime they put Stealin' at the end. I love that track. Instead, I would have put this in last place. Dreadful production and ridiculous chorus. The only redeeming quality is Freddie's vocal, and some of the guitar work.

Edited by Killer Queen

mr quick

102... Innuendo

Do not agree. I guess people don't like that hard sounding type of music... and of course BoRhap would get number one!

Gotta agree with that one. It's the only Queen song I bought on software. Not really into Queen, but I have most their stuff on vinyl.

Queen

Ok, so I was digging through my old word documents and came across something I had totally forgotten about. A while back my friend wanted to conduct an interview because she was writing a paper about Queen, or so I thought. Anyway, I answered her questions, and it turned out she was studying the behaviors of obsessed people. Ha!

I asked her to marry me a few years later. lol

Anyway, these questions and answers (I deleted a few...embarrassing stuff...) basically sum up why I love Queen so much. Thought I'd share it.

About the band:

Tell me about the band and its four members. (I know you could go on a tirade about this... xD)

Each of its four members wrote at least one single that made it to number one in the charts. Freddie Mercury was and probably always will remain the most charismatic frontman in the history of rock and roll. Born in Zanzibar, he studied piano at a relatively young age and grew to have a fascination with western popular music, as well as the music from his native land. He earned a diploma in Art and Graphic Design at Ealing College. Dr. Brian May is simply a genius. Not only is he an incredibly proficient rock guitarist who built his own guitar with his dad (with nothing more than a fireplace and a few items laying around the house), but he’s also an animal rights activist, the chancellor at Liverpool John Moores University, and as his name suggests he also holds a PhD in astrophysics. Roger Taylor is an exceptional drummer who is capable of playing other instruments as well, including piano, guitar, and bass. Before making it big, he studied dentistry at the London Hospital Medical College. John Deacon is one of rock’s most melodic bass guitarists. Before making it big in rock music, he earned First Class Honours Degree in electronics at Chelsea College. He was responsible for building the Deaky amp, which has become an integral part of the Queen sound.

What was the highest point in their career?

Queen had many high points in their career. But I think most fans will agree that their Live Aid performance at Wembley Stadium on July 13, 1985 was their highest point. Many musicians and critics, including Bob Geldoff, the show’s organizer, and even Elton John, who performed that very same day, argued that they stole the show. And the performance, which was only 20 minutes in length, has even been voted best rock performance of all time.

Live Aid came at a time when Freddie Mercury was reluctant to do another performance (in fact Freddie had to be persuaded several times) and the band was contemplating taking a long break – or possibly disbanding. But with the success of their performance, and all of the positive feedback from contemporary artists and fans they decided to get right back into the studio and make plans for their biggest tour, The Magic Tour (1986), in which they revisited Wembley Stadium. It was a sold out tour! And each gig took place at a stadium!

What was the lowest point in their career?

The lowest point in their career was with the release of 1982’s “Hot Space.” With the success of “Another One Bites Dust” in 1980 the band thought (or should I say Freddie and John thought) that a funk/disco flavored album would be the best new direction. But they had good reason to think so because their music was already very diverse and their fans seemed to respond exceedingly well to whatever direction they decided to take. But the album had weak sales and completely flopped! This was a critical point in their career because tensions within the group were growing (as noted above, the group were pushing in different directions), which resulted in the band disbanding until 1984. Afterwards, Queen discontinued effective promotion in the USA (including touring!) and never regained the popularity they once had in the USA. There are many singles, including “A Kind Of Magic,” “Radio Ga Ga,” and “The Show Must Go On” that are known to be hits practically everywhere else in the world but the USA, which is a tremendous shame!

Oh and another low point…

Queen performed at a place called Sun City in South Africa in 1984. People were outraged because at the time it was during the height of apartheid. It was basically a violation of “worldwide divestment efforts.” The band argued that it was an integrated audience and that they were simply playing music for fans in that particular country. Anyway, the band was actually black listed by the UN. I think this lasted until apartheid finally ended. Oh, and the British Musicians’ Union also fined them or something. It was a very sticky situation. But anyway, most people forgot about it after their immense performance at Live Aid the following year.

How did Freddie's death affect the band?

Immediately following Freddie’s death, Brian May devoted himself to work, as it was the only way he knew how to deal with the loss of one of his best friends. At first, he was I think he was reluctant to release his first solo album. But Freddie actually encouraged him knowing that his death would help with sales. Brian also went on a world tour with The Brian May Band to support the new album.

Meanwhile, Roger and John started to work on unfinished songs that Freddie had instructed them to finish after his death. When Brian finally got word he immediately joined them and in 1995 they released Made in Heaven. I think he was reluctant to go back into the studio, because it would be difficult to not have Freddie around, but still be hearing his voice.

Initially, the band considered that to be the end of Queen. John Deacon, for reasons unknown, decided to retire from the music business in 1998. Brian and Roger (they still call themselves Queen) eventually worked with various singers, including Pink, Robbie Williams, Paul Rodgers (went on tour with him and recorded a new album between 2004 and 2009), and most recently Adam Lambert. I’m happy to say there’s no end in site!

Is Queen still in the public eye?

Absolutely! It seems that with each passing year Queen harnesses new generations of fans. And this is no small part due to Brian and Roger’s willingness to work with contemporary artists. Brian, for example, has recorded with Lady Gaga on her latest album, Born This Way. You can hear him on one of her biggest hits, You And I. Most recently Brian has even worked with Dappy, a well-known rapper from the UK. And of course their collaboration with Adam Lambert is attracting all sorts of attention. It’s highly anticipated! Try to imagine all those die hard Adam Lambert fans going out to see him perform live with this band called Queen. New fans galore! There are also talks about an upcoming movie about Freddie Mercury’s life starring Sascha Baron Cohen. So there’s been lots of talk about that as well.

Your fandom:

How long have you been a fan?

I have been a fan since July of 2003. My God. It’s been 9 years already?

When did you first hear of Queen?

My earliest recollection of Queen was in elementary school (somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade, I think). During my bus rides to and from school the boys and girls would chant We Will Rock You. I distinctly remember singing it around the house and my mom saying something along the lines of “You seem to really like that song!” Actually, I believe the bus was on Main Street in Northampton, PA when I first heard my classmates chanting that Queen song. Wow, funny how you remember things like that! It was years later when I was a freshman in high school that I finally realized it was Queen though. I heard We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, and Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio and I was hooked for life!

Do you own any Queen merchandise? If so, name some of your favorite things in your collection.

I have a great deal of merchandise. I have two of each album on CD, I have several framed LPs, 20 or more shirts, several books, all of their DVDs, a bunch of framed posters, any magazines I find with an article about them, newspaper cutouts, a Queen belt, Queen hats, a Queen tie for work, and Queen Song Books for piano and guitar. I’m probably forgetting a bunch of things though. And last but not least, I also have a tattoo on my back of Queen’s phoenix!

1936941_46554904627_6926801_n.jpg?oh=60d

What was the first piece of Queen merchandise you bought?

I first bought their Greatest Hits (Hollywood Records), which oddly enough remains my most prized possession. Without it, I would never have bought everything else! haha

What is your favorite song and/or album and why?

Without a doubt, “The Show Must Go On” is my favorite song. It has helped me get through many difficult situations. My favorite album is always going to be Innuendo. It’s such an emotionally charged album! It was the last album released while Freddie was still alive and kicking. And it’s one of their best and most successful. For a dying man, Freddie sure had a great deal of courage and strength, which can be heard on every song on that album, including “The Show Must Go On.”

Describe your love for Queen over the years. Has it remained steadfast? Has it ever waned? How do you see it in the future?

I think it has waned a little bit. For the first three or four years I literally listened to at least one full Queen album a day. I would even get up early in the morning before school just to watch their music videos and concerts over and over again. However, if one thing has stayed true throughout the past 9 years it’s that I can never say no to anything Queen related. If I see something rare in a record shop I will feel absolutely obliged to automatically purchase it and store it safely in my regal collection of Queen goodies. Nowadays, I have a much more eclectic taste in music, which is a thanks in no small part to Queen, who had a very eclectic taste as well. These days I find myself listening less to Queen and more to other artists. But I think that just means I’m maturing as a fan. But I will probably remain a devoted fan until the day I die, because it’s no longer just the music I’ve fallen in love with, it’s also their personalities and incredible outlook on life. Just look at the way Freddie faced his disease. He was incredibly brave. In a way, I try to model myself after them.

The community:

Do you know any Queen fans like yourself?

Personally? No, I can’t say that I have any friends who love Queen as much as me. However, I know of several on Queenonline.com. And I met a few at a tribute gig a couple years ago. But I haven’t stayed in touch with any of them.

Where do you feel most comfortable connecting with fans?

I think I feel most comfortable connecting with them on the Internet, specifically on the Queenonline forum. But I certainly wouldn’t mind going to actual Queen gigs and talking to other fans. In fact that would be refreshing! I wouldn’t feel so insane then.

Why Queen?:

What genre(s) of music do you like?

I love to listen to all different types of music. I am open to anything ranging from Gregorian chant to contemporary music (with a slight exclusion of most rap and some country). Queen fits into many of the genres I enjoy because they could effortlessly expand on their own musical vocabulary. What made this even more magical is that no matter what style of music they emulated they always sounded like Queen. I mean, they went into anything! For example, Brian May composed a piece of music called Procession for their second album, and you can tell he wrote it with a baroque chorale in mind. Freddie Mercury, in addition to his many operatic style pieces, including Bohemian Rhapsody and The Millionaire Waltz, was also able to compose pieces in the style of jazz (My Melancholy Blues), rockabilly (Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Man On The Prowl), vaudeville (Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Killer Queen, and Seaside Rendezvous), and so much more. John Deacon was excellent at writing funky tunes, including the very successful single Another One Bites the Dust. Roger Taylor wrote mostly rock numbers, which helped them become more grounded as a rock band. I would go as far to say that thanks to Queen I have become at least much more aware of my musical surroundings.

What artists do you like besides Queen?

Pytor Ilich Tchaikovsky, Foo Fighters, Ben Folds, Foxy Shazam, Ludwig Van Beethoven, The Darkness, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Wallflowers, Metallica, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Blossom Dearie, Seal, Muse, Lady Gaga, Chuck Mangione, MGMT, System of a Down, Rage Against The Machine, Jamiroquai, Robert Schumann, Sergei Rachmaninoff, and a bunch more.

How are they different from other bands out there?

One of their biggest differences from most other bands is that they were able to do anything and still sound like Queen. I can’t stress that enough. Their musical interests were immense and it showed in their music. Another difference is that Queen consisted of four people who each wrote at least one song that went to number one in the charts. They’re also one of the very few bands out there that didn’t let themselves succumb to drugs and alcohol abuse. For the most part they were a clean act and a bunch of guys you could actually look up to. I mean, Brian May has a PhD! How many rocks stars can say that?

What do you like most about Queen? or What makes them special to you?

I think it might be there ability to compose in most every genre of music. I think that was one of the selling points for me. It was so refreshing to go out and buy another Queen album without ever knowing exactly what kind of music it was going to be. It’s so easy not to get bored of them! If I do get tired of their operatic stuff, then I just slip on over to their more jazz oriented stuff. Or if I get tired of that, then I might listen to Hot Space and indulge myself in some Queenified disco/funk music.

Is there anything about the band that you don't like?

Unfortunately, I could never understand why Queen pretty much gave up on the United States in the 1980s. After the disappointment of Hot Space and the ban of I Want To Break Free on MTV (band dressed in drag) they never returned for even a few concerts. They stopped promoting in the way they did throughout the 1970s and early 1980s. There are numerous hits, including Who Wants To Live Forever, A Kind of Magic, Radio Ga Ga, and These Are The Days of Our Lives, which will never become well known in the USA.

and finally...

What does Queen mean to you? (I know it's a vague question, but try to answer it as best as possible)

Kiefer Sutherland, an actor and huge Queen fan, said it best when he said “They represent to me everything that I hold dear in men and musicians.” And that’s exactly what they mean to me. They were hard working, dedicated, musical, and good friends to one another. They didn’t consider themselves any better (despite what their ego might suggest) than their fellow musicians, or fans for that matter. They were very grateful and knew that their success lied in the hands of their fans. Whenever I need a source of motivation or inspiration, I always (and I mean always!) think to myself what Freddie would say in my position. And he’d probably say something along the lines of “Oh f*** it darling. Just get on with it!” And how couldn’t I take his advice? After all, he faced death straight in the eye and kept on making beautiful music. It’s the right thing to do. Oh my, I’m getting a little choked up at the moment. I think it’s time to stop!

Flachbau

I remember hearing about the biopic a while ago, and now more news has surfaced (finally!) - http://www.spin.com/articles/sacha-baron-cohen-queen-biopic-freddie-mercury-manager

Also, I picked up that Queen Forever shirt from Hot Topic :) Looks awesome and fits comfortably! Also picked up the Hot Space album on CD.

Queen

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm afraid it's not true. Apparently, according to Brian May, it was a joke. A joke in bad taste, if I might add. Here is my source...

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbmar15.html#40

Glad to hear you got Hot Space. Let me know what you think.

Flachbau

All four roles? lol! I thought they were just gonna get him to play Mercury! What a shame.

I've listened to it previously before via Spotify, but I like to collect the albums on disc, so I just went ahead and got it :) Hot Space is a very different sounding album, and it differs from a lot of their other work. It has that 80's sound but I missed the rock sound as well. My favorites are Las Palabras De Amor (don't kill me if I completely bombed the spelling, I dont have it in front of me atm), Action This Day, Under Pressure (of course :p) and Put Out The Fire. Cool Cat was another great one, but I don't like the tempo.. I know it's not supposed to really be a fast song but it's just too slow for me imo. The falsetto was amazing though, and that's what I like the most about that particular track.

Queen

Cool Cat is one of my favorites. Did you know that David Bowie recorded additional vocals for that track, but he eventually had them deleted?

Also, this is one of my favorite B-Sides...very tongue in cheek with lots of falsetto and Queen references. lol

Edited by Killer Queen

Queen

Recently came across one of Freddie's most revealing interviews. It's known as his "The Bigger the Better" interview. One of my favorite quotes from him was...

"No, I don't want to go to heaven. Hell is much better. Think of all the interesting people you're going to meet down there!"

Flachbau

Wait, there's no way I didn't post in here after your post with the Cool Cat video.. wow.. I vividly remember typing a post and I really thought I replied.

Anyways, that's an epic beach chair. But what about canvases with Innuendo art? :( I would definitely get those!!

Edited by Android

Queen

Canvases with Innuendo art would be spectacular. To be honest, I'm kind of relieved that you posted. Without you and a few others I'm practically having a conversation by myself! :lol:

Flachbau

I feel bad cause of it, too! My apologies for not keeping up with you and the topic.

I'd really love to have the clown juggling on a big piece of canvas. I'd hang it right over my bed or TV. I love that artwork very much.

Queen

No worries, man. But yeah, the Innuendo artwork is unique. The only artwork that kind of bothered me was The Miracle...it's original, don't get me wrong, but it's disturbing.

Queen_The_Miracle.png

The best song on the album is probably this one...

At the time of its recording the band had a feeling this would be their swan song. Thank God Freddie was able to stick around long enough to finish his magnum opus, Innuendo, with the band. I mean, thank God, but still, he shouldn't have been taken away from this world. He'd probably still be with Queen, maybe not as consistent as in the classic years, but they'd still be making great music together.

Edited by Killer Queen

Flachbau

That album art is pretty freaky.. but then again I dig it. At the time, I'm sure that was some huge incredible piece of art.. at the time I'm sure people were blown away by how it was made.. today? Not so much. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind some official canvas art =)

That's my first time listening to that specific song fully. I've only ever heard the "Was it all worth it?" part before but now I feel complete, haha. Great complation of video, however. I really enjoyed it. I feel like that song included a bunch of sounds/tempos from other songs as well.. but who knows. It's 2:30 AM as I type this and I could just be hallucinating. lol

I wish Freddie was still around. It would have been nice to have new content from after '91. They probably would have had some thing like a reunion tour as well. Imagine that! I could only wish upon a shooting star for that.

Is it me, or did something happen to the official Headlong music video on YouTube..? I have been looking for it but no dice at all. Strangely, it's on Vimeo. Go figure.

edit: whut

Edited by Android

Queen

Wow...that....actually kind of worked. lol

You're absolutely correct that the artwork for Miracle made an impression at the time. It was something people had never seen before. This is my favorite (and possibly only) documentary about The Miracle. Toward the end, at about 24:31, Richard Gray talks about the creation of the cover. It's kind of interesting.

As for Headlong, yeah I noticed that too. Hopefully they put it back online. You can't even find that video on DVD. In fact, you can't even purchase The Show Must Go On and These Are The Days of Our Lives on DVD. For whatever reason Queen neglected to release a third video hits compilation.

Edited by Killer Queen

Flachbau

It was pretty catchy to say the least :p Very unique mix up.

Wow, that's simply amazing. The Miracle features my second favorite album artwork, besides Innuendo :) It's nice to see it was actually discussed and not just forgotten about. It was very impressive for it's time, and left a mark (hopefully) in the digital art world. As for the Headlong video, I'm just glad it's on Vimeo, at least. Still wondering why it was removed from YT.

Queen

I was surfing the official Queen forum and came across this fan created track. It's a 45 minute tribute to the band (and, in particular, Freddie) that incorporates different sounds throughout their career. It seems to be heavily based on track 13 from the Made in Heaven album.

https://soundcloud.com/sebastienbede/open-your-eyes-look-touch-and-feel

It's fun to hear all these different songs come together so seamlessly. Anyway, I quite like it, and so did Brian, apparently.

Message from Brian to the creator, Sebastien:

"Ah thanks Sebastien.
Forgive me if I don’t have time to get deeply into it, but I can see you’ve put a lot of love and care into this - and your skills are undeniable.
Thanks for sharing.
All the best
Bri "
EDIT:
I literally just found out that Roger Taylor's son (Rufus Taylor) is the new drummer for The Darkness. That's kind of cool, if you ask me. :D
ANOTHER EDIT:
Been working on some signatures.
143122028490269%201.jpg
143122028490269_1.jpg
download.png
143122729397944.jpg
143122729397944202.jpg?t=1431181629
7f3df841-ea29-4b6d-a827-ed1a08a3ef56.png
143122729397944201.jpg?t=1431142019
Edited by Killer Queen

Flachbau

Awesome signatures, mate! I'll add them to the first post soon = ) (and also to my signature folder ;))

I will most certainly listen to Sebastien's complation later tonight. I've skipped through it at some parts because I'm short on time but from the parts I've heard, it's actually pretty awesome.. I'm new to this Soundcloud stuff, so I have no idea if there's any more of these ccompilations If you have some suggestions/recommendations feel free to link them here.
Ah, like father like son, am I right? :)

Flachbau

Haha, yeah! Looks pretty fun. I must buy it soon.

Dude, they removed the Innuendo music video from YT, I think :(

Queen

Did they? Ugh, well, it's a good thing I have the video on my iPod. In the meantime, you can enjoy the alternative version. :)

Flachbau

I'm totally downloading that video before anything happens to it.

Anyways, how is that app? Is it just some good fun or what? I wanna know before I buy my first app ever :p

Queen

Yeah, I was disappointed to see that we actually had to buy it. In fact, once I purchased it, I noticed a locked area that you had to pay another dollar to access. Absolutely ridiculous, but hey, it's Queen...so I'll pay with no regrets. Putting that aside, the app itself is thoroughly entertaining. There are three difficulties you can choose from: easy, medium, and expert. The bulk of the app features trivia questions ranging from the stupidly easy to the incredibly difficult. There are also cross word searches and puzzles. As you complete each level, you unlock various artwork and interesting facts. Overall, if you want to test your knowledge, or learn new facts in an interesting, fun, and exciting way, I'd say go for it. It's actually kind of addicting. Plus, they'll be updating it over time with new questions.

Edited by Killer Queen

Flachbau

Really?! Sounds like an EA move.. I don't know if I'll buy it now, but I'll keep an eye on it. Let me know if there's anything else interesting about it

Also, Tie Your Mother Down is going to be in the new Guitar Hero Live

https://www.guitarhero.com/game/artists

Queen

I downloaded Mika's new album yesterday and wouldn't you know it there's a song paying homage to Freddie Mercury. It's a song about when Freddie finds out he's HIV positive. It's actually quite good.

He talks about it here (@ 3:55) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1YxSQj3Mw

By the way, I found this hilarious signature of Roger Taylor.

rogericonsigKopie.jpg

Gonna post this here as well, since it's not very easy to come by a rendered crest.

tlBCtrt.png

Edited by Killer Queen

Flachbau

I have never heard of MIKA before, but I'll be checking out his other work - definitely someone to look into a bit more

His voice is amazing, first of all.. (imo at least). Anyway, the piano work in that track is really beautiful. I don't give the piano as much recognition and respect as I do with other instruments, and I really need to change that. There's a very soft tone throughout the song, until the chorus picks up. I like how it wasn't one of those super loud increases in sound that we usually hear in music from the past few years or so, haha. Nonetheless, it is a pretty lovely tribute/salute :^:

Thanks for those images, by the way :lol: I've been looking around for a nice, clean, unedited crest for a very long time. Major kudos to you for sharing it.

GN 92

So, I was talking about Adam Lambert in the "What're you listening to right now" .. I think he's doing a good job keeping the memory alive these days.

Tears rolled down my face watching Roger Taylor and Brian May's reactions while playing it.

Queen

Welcome to the Queen thread, man!

It's ok to cry. The first time I saw Queen live was at MSG in NYC. When the curtain fell and my heroes took to the stage I was overwhelmed with emotions I never knew I had. I cried like a f*cking baby as Brian May thrashed to "Now I'm Here." :p

I hold Queen very close to my heart, as tacky as that may sound. It's hard to explain, but their work ethic, passion, creativity, brotherhood, and immense musicianship have had a profound impact on me. Being a Queen fan is more than just being a fan, it's a way of life. :D

Edited by Queen

Mister Pinkerton

I miss seeing all these videos on Queen-Weekend(s) they used to have on MTV... yes.. before it turned to sh*t.