2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Underrated games of past generations

nikolibrety

After reading this thread by CantThinkOfOne2013 I decided to make a thread for underrated games of all the previous generations that came before the 7th and 8th. So to start off here are my underrated games:

Scarface: The World Is Yours - IMO one of the best open world games of its generation, the bank system to stash your cash, the exotics catalog, the soundtrack and the graphics for its time were great for an open-world movie licensed game at it's time.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction- Again another great licensed game with great free roam destruction.

Spider-Man: The Movie Game - Many talk about Spider-man 2 being the best Spider-man game which leave this one before it and the games after it overshadowed, IMO this game is just as good with its stealth segments and great outdoor levels.

Destroy All Humans! 2 - One of my all time favorite games, this game is such a blast to play due to its fun, have you played another game where you can snatch bodies, use an anal probe then fly in your saucer and wreak havok on the 6 open world cities there are to explore.

Edited by nikolibrety
  • Like 3

I second the Scarface one. Very underrated and brushed off by most people as a GTA clone but it was actually really unique and had a lot of features that GTA later added like buying cars.

-Bully. By far the most underrated game of the last generation for me and it's quite sad that it didn't sell that well. It was received well by the critics but you hardly ever here anyone talk about it or mention it.

-True Crime: Streets Of LA: Again not one you hear anything about. It had a 200+ sq mile map and was really fun but was overshadowed by VC

• Like 3

Algonquin Assassin

I third Scarface. One of the best non-GTA open world games ever made. Should've been given some 7th generation love IMO.

• Like 1

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

True Crime:Streets of LA

Big map, addictive melee combat, Max payne style shooting, branching storyline, being able to search random peds for drugs and other stuff, responding to 911 calls and also being able to play as Snoop Dogg.

It was a really good game, maybe too advanced for its time.

Edited by Dbns_Finest

Scarface underrated?

All the repetitive-ness, horrible swearing and the absolute crap AI aside, the game simply feels good on paper but in practice the gameplay sucks, to me.

Edited by Osho

Never really played True Crime: Streets of LA, but I have played the New York one.

Incredible game. I don't think tons of people were crazy over it, but it had a large map, nice graphics for the time. Basically everything Dbns_Finest listed.

VWSTp.png

Team Buddies

An amazing PS1 game that's actually a pretty-penny right now due to its rarity. I owned a copy but lost it years ago along with most of my PS1 games.

Games like "God Hand" come to mind, I remember when it released it got a few low ratings on major sites, obviously didn't stop me from buying the game.

Jaws Unleashed, holy crap.. actually not that bad of a game

948185.png

PinkRibbonScars

Little Big Planet 2. Lots of online user generated content. It's filled with so many gems.

• Like 2

Yeah i agree Bully is very, very good game, actually it was the only game that i felt was refreshing and new in years, im tired of the sequels, but that didn't change and all i see is the constant flood of sequels, yuck :(

Algonquin Assassin

horrible swearing

Why would anyone complain about the swearing in a Scarface game? The movie had tons of it.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

LightningLord

- Test Drive Unlimited 2. It was a good game. Didn't get much attention though.

- Little Big Planet 2. Lots of possibility and things to do. Make anything. Levels, characters, mini games, open world places, as far as your imagination can go. Too bad it's dead now. It didn't die in a pleasant way. It's poisoned now. Hope Little Big Planet 3 is good.

- PayDay2. Fun FPS co-op game. Rob stores, banks, and stuff. Lots of things to unlock and get. Hardly anyone plays it.

- Transformers Fall of Cybertron. This game was super fun. Story mode was nice if you've played War for Cybertron, multiplayer had you make your own transforming robot, with it's own parts, weapons, and abilities. It died out very quickly. In about a few months no one is online anymore.

Edited by LightningLord411
  • Like 1

IcOqQpq.gif

I had a blast playing SSX Tricky and SSX 3 with my friends. I still play SSX 3 whenever given the chance.

Never really played True Crime: Streets of LA, but I have played the New York one.

Incredible game. I don't think tons of people were crazy over it, but it had a large map, nice graphics for the time. Basically everything Dbns_Finest listed.

Yeah TC:NYC kind of gets a bad rep for no real reason. Sure it has it's glitches and stuff but it was still a pretty good game. I played it on Gamecube for a while and had fun with it.

TimeSplitters was an amazing series. Great humor, great gameplay, and a perfect example of what a company can do without pressure from publishers. It's underrated because even though it's prolly one of the best games on last gen, it didn't sell well due to bad advertising. The critics loved it. FRD still shut down and was bought by Crytek, then by Deep Silver, but the IP for TS still resides with Crytek. If an HD collection of all 3 was released, I would die happy. Until that unlikely day, I'll just have to hope that TS Rewind can revive the series.

3XDEebH.jpg

Driver Parallel Lines. For the time shift from 1978 to 2006 alone.

What other game lets you run around a sprawling NYC nearly three decades apart?

And then there are the cars. The soundtrack. The lifelike cutscenes. The massive playable area. The complete change in the New York map and lifestyle from 70s sleaze to mid-millennium sheen. The way all the cool guys the protagonist idolises in the 70s all age and move on into various degrees of depravity. Severely underrated game that I think got hard luck for how much of a f*ckup its predecessor was.

And how can I not second/third/fifth Scarface: The World Is Yours?

• Like 2

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.

Ah, man. Such nostalgia. I miss you, Pandemic :(.

TheFunkyBunch

i thought True Crime LA was Underrated the Gun Combat and hand to Hand combat to this day is Lot Of fun and its aged lot better than most Games From the Past Compare it to the Universally Acclaimed max payne 2 and tell me which has Aged Better (True Crime Wins ) story was decent for its time To.

Bully is a gem Of a Game my Favorite game of the Ps2 Era i would say its Slightly Underrated.

The Warriors i loved and i guess its Slightly Underrated despite getting good Reviews.

The Godfather 1 gem of a game much better than the Overrated Scarface game and its Mediocre Sequel.

Edited by TheFunkyBunch

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.

The first was incredible. The second, not so much, mostly let down by it's insane amount of bugs and no real story missions, just side mission crap that spanned across the whole length of the game, also annoying as f*ck dialog, annoying characters, and the f*cking bastard pink car. It had promise but f*ck me was it a let down. At least it had co-op, even though at times it was almost unplayable due to glitches.

I would have to nominate Freedom Fighters, though the aiming was weird and only worked automatically instead of full manual aiming support, the story felt real and was deep. Even though it was a modern tale, it felt almost WW2 esque and nothing really captured that feeling of your homeland being invaded and taken over with little effort. Homefront and Cod couldn't even do it right.

Also Driv3r. I know many people hated it but personally I enjoyed the heck out of it. Loved the atmosphere and music, the vehicles were decent, driving was still good enough though not as good as the first two games. But still there were some fun collectibles and it let you have guns, which the shooting wasn't really good but this was just after Vice City and you got full analog stick support for aiming, you could even swim when you couldn't at the time in GTA. (Hence the Timmy parody)

And going back a while, I could comment on many other games but I was always surprised that not one single one of my friends over the years has ever had any love for Streets of Rage. One of the greatest games of all time and easily the best side scroller beat em up ever made, and I feel I was always alone in liking the first title the most and nobody would ever want to co-op with me.

f*ckers.

They don't know what they are missing.

kT8ve9H.png

- PayDay2. Fun FPS co-op game. Rob stores, banks, and stuff. Lots of things to unlock and get. Hardly anyone plays it.

How is it underrated? Pretty sure a lot of people play it. It's the predecessor The Heist that is underrated.

• Like 1

Killing Floor for PC: The game really shines online with 30+ other people battling against hundreds of zombies and other monstrosities. You can weld doors shut to make last stands and buy weapons in between waves. Last round is always the best when the boss comes out. He cloaks and sprints to the nearest person (in a group of 30+, it's random) and rips them apart.

Spider-Man: The Movie Game - Many talk about Spider-man 2 being the best Spider-man game which leave this one before it and the games after it overshadowed, IMO this game is just as good with its stealth segments and great outdoor levels.

also being able to play the whole game as the green goblin

• Like 1

Kao the Kangaroo Round 2
You never heard of it right? It's a simple old school 3d platforming game with lots of level with hidden secret, lots of power-up, and lots of gameplay style to keep things refreshing. It's a solid platforming game, but never heard anybody mention this game.

Genji Dawn of Samurai
A 3rd person combat hack and slashing PS2 game set in feudal Japan. A bit open world, with lots of content, and cool story. Finding secret stuff, upgrading weapon, crafting a legendary sword, beating lots of bosses, etc.

Beat Down Fist of Vengeance
A fighting games by Capcom. Theres a single player mode story with an open world city where you could customize your character, recruit other fighter, fight a bunch of dudes, get caught by the police, and busting yourself out of your jail cell by punching the wall.

Speed Kingz
Just lie a Burnout game, but with Motorcycle. Felt like road rash a bit, with lots of trick and cool stunts.

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends
This one is actually highly rated on a lot of gaming sites, but seems like no one here ever mentioned it. No love for 2d platforming, eh? It's the most prettiest game i've ever played, awesome soundtrack, and super fun gameplay. SO VERY FUN..
Such a shame that it never got sales like Ubisoft expected. Probably there wont be another sequel
Yeah, go play the newest Ass Creed yourself while i'm crying over here craving for more Rayman.........

• 2 weeks later...

Mother 3- a JRPG on the GBA released in 2006. Not much innovation on the gameplay part, standard turn based combat system, but it's the story and soundtrack that make this.