1. 1. Where will the next GTA be set?

• San Fierro
    • Las Venturas
    • Vice City
    • Liberty City
    • Carcer City
    • Los Santos
    • North Yankton
    • Other United States metropolitan adaptation (please specify)
    • City outside of the continental United States.
    • Multiple cities in the United States
    • Multiple cities outside of the United States
    • London

Big Fat Paulie

I'd like to see either Chicago or New Orleans in a GTA game. I suppose Saint Denis from RDR 2 is the GTA version of New Orleans, not sure about Chicago.

ferguson99

Leeds

Big Fat Paulie

To be honest, I'm not sure if an HD Era GTA game can work in a non-American setting.

As cool as London or Tokyo would be in a Grand Theft Auto game, part of the main theme of the newer GTA games is satire and social commentary on American culture, specifically the concept of the "American Dream"

Which is why I think Rockstar should make a GTA game set in a decaying crime-ridden Rust Belt city like Chicago or Detroit, maybe an HD Era rendition of Carcer City?

We've already seen prosperous areas like NYC and Southern California, where the American Dream is supposedly thriving. Let's see a GTA game set in a place where the American Dream goes to die.

Forza_GTA
On 2/2/2019 at 12:22 AM, Big Fat Paulie said:

To be honest, I'm not sure if an HD Era GTA game can work in a non-American setting.

To be honest I think that Rockstar is lazy or just they don't have the talent to make cities like London or Paris that require a completely different work compared to amercian cities that are very easy to achieve because all on the same model and with less historical architecture or not at all in a city like LA that has no interest.

Unfortunately this GTA 5 with this uninteresting city will be the longest in terms of duration without new episode.

We can say what we want on ubisoft but they know how to make a beautiful European city with the AC series , imo the Paris of AC Unity remains the best city in an open world game whatever the period.

Willy A. Jeep
9 hours ago, Forza_GTA said:

To be honest I think that Rockstar is lazy or just they don't have the talent to make cities like London or Paris that require a completely different work compared to amercian cities that are very easy to achieve because all on the same model and with less historical architecture or not at all in a city like LA that has no interest.

That's a gross misstatement both on the part of Rockstar and the history of American vs. Eurasian cities. There's no reason to think that replicating an American city is any easier or harder than a European one, especially in the modern day, despite historical difference. There's the same workload whether a building was constructed in 1600 or 1900, because it's brought down to texture and model work, and because newer buildings can be just as complex as old. Beyond that, there's plenty of historical structures in the United States, some well over 200 years old, including Los Angeles. Still, the merit of age is much less than that of character, which the architectural styles prevalent and native to the U.S. certainly are not lacking. You would be hard pressed to find much surviving Streamline Moderne outside of the Americas, and even more so to find any Googie or Prairie examples.

I think Rockstar definitely could create a replica of a non-American city, especially seeing their work with Red Dead Redemption 2. As much as GTA V was an incredible slice of Los Angeles or GTA IV a dreamy reflection of New York, I imagine whatever they do next will be even better, American or not. I doubt, as a whole, they'll take GTA outside of the United States, but for a spin-off or companion title, I would be excited to see Tokyo, Rio, London, or Mexico City. Though I do still stand by my rather biased preference for a game set in the American Midwest, with the likes of Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, and Cincinnati as inspiration...

Big Fat Paulie

I think Chicago would be a perfect choice for GTA VI.

We already had New York in IV and Los Angeles in V, why not the third-biggest city in America and the major city with the highest crime rate in the country at that?

Edited by Big Fat Paulie

Hmmm nice bike
2 hours ago, Big Fat Paulie said:

I think Chicago would be a perfect choice for GTA VI. 

We already had New York in IV and Los Angeles in V, why not the third-biggest city in America and the major city with the highest crime rate in the country at that?

It would definitely work as a location, but as someone from Chicago, I'd like to see them remake Vice City first. Make that the last rebooted city before making a new city, with Chicago being a good candidate if they're looking for someplace new that's still a huge city with actual crime problems and ongoing gang warfare, and not random choices like Phoenix or Denver that people probably list because they're either from those cities or they just looked up American cities for the first time and randomly picked them.

TheSantader25

Chicago is definitely an interesting place. Though Ubisoft creating SF and Chicago in the two Watch Dogs games has really turned me off from those two cities. Of course R* would definitely do a far better job but they lost their freshness for me after playing Watch Dogs. 

ViceCityVin
On 2/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

with Chicago being a good candidate if they're looking for someplace new that's still a huge city with actual crime problems and ongoing gang warfare

I agree. Chicago would actually be a logical location.

Forza_GTA

Oy7lK.png

🤩

ViceCityVin

Paris could be quite cool, actually. Distinctive atmosphere and surely lots of fun to be had with the Eiffel Tower.

Ertan Soner
16 hours ago, ViceCityVin said:

Paris could be quite cool, actually. Distinctive atmosphere and surely lots of fun to be had with the Eiffel Tower.

"Press e to synchronize"

Copcaller

Entire state of Florida with some islands for smuggling

ViceCityVin

Personally, I think they should go all-out and get really ambitious.

Grand Theft Auto: Milwaukee.

Big Molio

I know it isn't going to happen, but I can't help wonder what Rockstar would do with an open world sci-fi game. When I zip across the ground on the Oppressor 2 in cinematic mode, it kind of reminds me of the speeders and speeder bikes in Star Wars, the way it hugs the ground but scoots over stuff.

I would love for them to throw their aesthetic behind a Blade Runner / Mega City One metropolis type city-scape, with surrounding deserts / ocean / mountains / plains etc 

Ertan Soner
18 hours ago, Big Molio said:

I know it isn't going to happen, but I can't help wonder what Rockstar would do with an open world sci-fi game. When I zip across the ground on the Oppressor 2 in cinematic mode, it kind of reminds me of the speeders and speeder bikes in Star Wars, the way it hugs the ground but scoots over stuff.

I would love for them to throw their aesthetic behind a Blade Runner / Mega City One metropolis type city-scape, with surrounding deserts / ocean / mountains / plains etc 

Yeah ANOTHER game would be interesting but this mustn't be done in gta game. If you talking about other games your post is doesn't count because this is gta topic.

Edited by Ertan Soner
fix

Big Molio
41 minutes ago, Ertan Soner said:

Yeah ANOTHER game would be interesting but this mustn't be done in gta game. If you talking about other games your post is doesn't count because this is gta topic.

I would be happy for it to be within the GTA franchise. They have gone backwards in time, they could theoretically go forward, and have done with some of their near-future content. Rockstar could make it work, because one of the great things about 2000AD for example was the warped humour in the Judge Dredd strip. Much of Mega City One's inhabitants and stories were satirical and grotesquely comical. If anybody could do that, Rockstar probably could.

Ertan Soner
18 hours ago, Big Molio said:

I would be happy for it to be within the GTA franchise. They have gone backwards in time, they could theoretically go forward, and have done with some of their near-future content. Rockstar could make it work, because one of the great things about 2000AD for example was the warped humour in the Judge Dredd strip. Much of Mega City One's inhabitants and stories were satirical and grotesquely comical. If anybody could do that, Rockstar probably could.

Yeah of course ruining gta series woud be great idea. 

Big Molio
7 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

Yeah of course ruining gta series woud be great idea. 

"Ruining it" would be subjective, I think it could be a good installment. A lot of players want to go back to the 70's and 80's, which I think would be awful.

And quit with the snarky attitude son, I’m being civil with you aren’t I?

Edited by Big Molio

Big Fat Paulie

I'm weird in that I am equally fine with both a "retro" GTA set in the 70's, 80's, or 90's and a cyberpunk near-future GTA. 

GTA 2, while from the 2D Era, was set in the near future.

My current concept thread for GTA VI, however, is a prequel to IV set in the 1990's and very early 2000's, with the setting being the entire Northeastern United States, focused on Liberty City (NYC), Keystone City (Philly), and New Plymouth (Boston)

Diggy227

I still believe that it would be a major step back if they went with VC. It worked during the time due to console limitations but remaking VC on current/next gen would be tough. Miami itself is cool but the surrounding area would be boring imo. It's mostly flat and you wouldn't be able to realistically drive in any of the terrain due to the fact that it's mostly water. I think most players would be put off at how big of a downgrade that would be from GTAV.

Edited by Diggy227

Big Molio
8 minutes ago, Diggy227 said:

I still believe that it would be a major step back if they went with VC. It worked during the time due to console limitations but remaking VC on current/next gen would be tough. Miami itself is cool but the surrounding area would be boring imo. It's mostly flat and you wouldn't be able to realistically drive in any of the terrain due to the fact that it's mostly water. I think most players would be put off at how big of a downgrade that would be from GTAV.

I agree. I think a lot of the calls for a revisit to Vice City are rose tinted because of the fond memory of the last game set there. However, it was of its time and as you say, a next-gen upgrade would likely be quite dull when you consider the diverse environments that are going to be expected on the map.

Diggy227
6 minutes ago, Big Molio said:

I agree. I think a lot of the calls for a revisit to Vice City are rose tinted because of the fond memory of the last game set there. However, it was of its time and as you say, a next-gen upgrade would likely be quite dull when you consider the diverse environments that are going to be expected on the map.

I think for the next GTA we could definitely be seeing something with two cities in one map such as San Fierro and Las Venturas. Very diverse environments and if done on a next gen console (which is what the speculation seems to be) the map could be expansive and an overall improvement on what Rockstar set out to do in GTAV and RDR2 with multiple ecosystems and that jazz.

Ertan Soner
16 hours ago, Big Molio said:

"Ruining it" would be subjective, I think it could be a good installment. A lot of players want to go back to the 70's and 80's, which I think would be awful.

And quit with the snarky attitude son, I’m being civil with you aren’t I?

Yeah would be good. Let's add flying cars and a mission where you fighting with aliens and also maybe other planets?Travelling to Mars and stealing a ufo. Maybe even Stormtrooper and Darth Vader cameo. Also a special unlockable quest where you travel to hell and fight with demons. After passing it you will be teleported to some underground facility but there is a disaster and there are aliens, so you need to solve puzzles and talk with a guy with a briefcase. Then a special police station location where game turns into survival horror with limited ammo. After this mission you get in a car and lose the x6 heat. Also as a some secret unique side mission you go to two islands and one with Hotel paradise location with zombies and other is full of modern day pirates who kidnap people. At the last mission you kill the main guy and game doesn't know what it wants to be anymore and crashes. Great ideas and totally fit the gta.

Edited by Ertan Soner
fix

Big Molio
1 hour ago, Ertan Soner said:

Yeah would be good. Let's add flying cars and a mission where you fighting with aliens and also maybe other planets?Travelling to Mars and stealing a ufo. Maybe even Stormtrooper and Darth Vader cameo. Also a special unlockable quest where you travel to hell and fight with demons. After passing it you will be teleported to some underground facility but there is a disaster and there are aliens, so you need to solve puzzles and talk with a guy with a briefcase. Then a special police station location where game turns into survival horror with limited ammo. After this mission you get in a car and lose the x6 heat. Also as a some secret unique side mission you go to two islands and one with Hotel paradise location with zombies and other is full of modern day pirates who kidnap people. At the last mission you kill the main guy and game doesn't know what it wants to be anymore and crashes. Great ideas and totally fit the gta.

Whilst I appreciate the effort you have gone to with this sardonic little diatribe of yours, it counters arguments I haven't even made.

Let's not forget that this game already has flying cars, flying bikes, TRON bikes, laser weapons, alien suits, a UFO, post-apocalyptic vehicles and clothing, and underground facilities, so you asking for them in that facetious manner is rather redundant.

I didn't mention any kind of interplanetary game with zombies or Darth Vader either. What I do think that Rockstar might be good at if they were to bring it as a GTA instalment is a GTA: 2099 for argument's sake, an episode of their franchise set in a dystopian, cyber-punk interpretation of a city. You would still be a criminal, there would still be police, and there would still be an abundance of vehicles, missions, clothing, customisation and everything else that goes with it. It would still form the same core GTA gameplay that we are familiar with.

Think, Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Crackdown, Akira, Dark City, Escape from New York / LA - that kind of thing.

Judge Dredd especially (the comic strip) was jam packed with humour, satire, grotesque and interesting characters like Chopper, the Fatties etc Rockstar would be good at bringing that kind of irreverent, observational humour to a title such as this.

A massive, mulit-levelled, vertical mega-city with street level and high level action going on, surrounded by a map made up of outlying towns, settlements, deserts, an ocean, some mountains and all the other things to go and explore. It wouldn't be too far away from what we have now, just a different aesthetic.

Edited by Big Molio

Ertan Soner
21 hours ago, Big Molio said:

Whilst I appreciate the effort you have gone to with this sardonic little diatribe of yours, it counters arguments I haven't even made.

Let's not forget that this game already has flying cars, flying bikes, TRON bikes, laser weapons, alien suits, a UFO, post-apocalyptic vehicles and clothing, and underground facilities, so you asking for them in that facetious manner is rather redundant.

I didn't mention any kind of interplanetary game with zombies or Darth Vader either. What I do think that Rockstar might be good at if they were to bring it as a GTA instalment is a GTA: 2099 for argument's sake, an episode of their franchise set in a dystopian, cyber-punk interpretation of a city. You would still be a criminal, there would still be police, and there would still be an abundance of vehicles, missions, clothing, customisation and everything else that goes with it. It would still form the same core GTA gameplay that we are familiar with.

Think, Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Crackdown, Akira, Dark City, Escape from New York / LA - that kind of thing.

Judge Dredd especially (the comic strip) was jam packed with humour, satire, grotesque and interesting characters like Chopper, the Fatties etc Rockstar would be good at bringing that kind of irreverent, observational humour to a title such as this.

A massive, mulit-levelled, vertical mega-city with street level and high level action going on, surrounded by a map made up of outlying towns, settlements, deserts, an ocean, some mountains and all the other things to go and explore. It wouldn't be too far away from what we have now, just a different aesthetic.

Flying cars, bikes, laser weapons and all that sh*t is for ONLINE ONLY. They throw all the random crap they have in their minds and online doesn't really matter. You can't see any of that in story mode. I also want crazy things from gta but you want to change the whole game and turn it into cyberpunk 2077 or something. You didn't mention that?Yeah sure, if you even got what you want you slowly want the things I mentioned. You want more of that, you want game to turn into something different. Because while we at that point, why just f*ck up even more?If you go to any gta video you can see people want zombie dlc's and post apocalyptic gta, people who want those won't stop here. We are supposed to play SEMI realistic open world crime game here, for the things you mentioned you can play saints row...Seriously, I try to ignore these stupid suggestions and comments but I just can't unsee this crap. It is sad to see people like you decide what is going to happen and great series like gta ruined. If you want fantasy world just go enter the matrix or tron.

Edited by Ertan Soner
fixing

Aquamaniac

I don't want a futuristic GTA too, I'm a car enthusiast and want a selection of more or less realistic cars, I wouldn't mind some James-Bond-movie-like special vehicles but it should not turn too crazy, the future generation of electric cars are futuristic enough for me and a future GTA should incorporate them if set in what then is the present, this will be science fiction enough.

TheSantader25

Flying cars can appear as a cheat like SA. 

Big Molio
42 minutes ago, Ertan Soner said:

Flying cars, bikes, laser weapons and all that sh*t is for ONLINE ONLY. They throw all the random crap they have in their minds and online doesn't really matter. You can't see any of that in story mode. I also want crazy things from gta but you want to change the whole game and turn it into cyberpunk 2077 or something. You didn't mention that?Yeah sure, if you even got what you want you slowly want the things I mentioned. You want more of that, you want game to turn into something different. Because while we at that point, why just f*ck up even more?If you go to any gta video you can see people want zombie dlc's and post apocalyptic gta, people who want those won't stop here. We are supposed to play SEMI realistic open world crime game here, for the things you mentioned you can play saints row...Seriously, I try to ignore these stupid suggestions and comments but I just can't unsee this crap. It is sad to see people like you decide what is going to happen and great series like gta ruined. If you want fantasy world just go enter the matrix or tron.

Right you gobsh*te, I've been pleasant enough with you but you are testing my f*cking patience lol. How in the holy blazes am I deciding what is going to happen? I don't work for Rockstar do I?

I am simply suggesting that the GTA format done right would, in my opinion, still work in a near future or future setting. That is all.

GTA has never even been semi-realistic, even in story mode. They are still fantastical games with a lot of whimsy. People want to go backwards in time to pastiches of the 70's and 80's, so why not forward? GTA 2 was a future-set instalment, it's not like it would be unprecedented.

So calm down will you?

Ertan Soner
On 2/11/2019 at 3:52 PM, Big Molio said:

Right you gobsh*te, I've been pleasant enough with you but you are testing my f*cking patience lol. How in the holy blazes am I deciding what is going to happen? I don't work for Rockstar do I?

I am simply suggesting that the GTA format done right would, in my opinion, still work in a near future or future setting. That is all.

GTA has never even been semi-realistic, even in story mode. They are still fantastical games with a lot of whimsy. People want to go backwards in time to pastiches of the 70's and 80's, so why not forward? GTA 2 was a future-set instalment, it's not like it would be unprecedented.

So calm down will you?

So you saying gta never been realistic?Oh okay fool can you tell me then why saints row and gta doesn't look same?I tell you why BECAUSE ONE IS SERIOUS AND SEMI REALISTIC and other one DOESN'T EVEN CARE ABOUT REALISM. 

Gta 2 was starting of the gta, main tone is not yet decided.

Anyway I am stopping this here. This is a discussion thread by the way and it doesn't say "idiots can't write here" 

Edited by Ertan Soner
fix