Are Side Missions Canon?

EllieTincan

Do you think that the side missions are canon? I could see things like delivering pizza not being canon but Vigilante could make sense with Niko or CJ. And what about the Strangers and Freaks missions? So far I'm leaning towards only the story line missions being canon.

na89340qv0n34b09q340

I know in a few games they recommend the side-missions as ways to make cash when you start out. I started playing III and LCS side-by-side this week, and the Taxi and car salesmen missions are recommended. Those are probably canon, since you really do need the cash.

I like the idea that if nothing's wrong with a side mission being canon, then it probably is. It makes things a lot simpler to think about. :)

When given a variety of scenarios and/or choices, there's no such thing as canon. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

When given a variety of scenarios and/or choices, there's no such thing as canon. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

So basically, whichever the player chose to do are canon? I know in the Saints Row series every side mission is treated as canon and some are mentioned in the main story line in later games, while initially where optional to the player.

Depends on what it is: if you do it, it is canon. There is no such thing as a ''confirmed'' canon or not, its entirely up to the player and her/his action. If you do a side mission, it is automatically considered canon. If you don't do it, it is not considered canon. Simple as that.

universetwisters

I can imagine whatever counts to 100% to be cannon. But then again, you never had that problem with older games, it only came about when Rockstar started getting cannon with everything.

• Like 1

sTgL5iS.png

Harwood Butch3r

I've always felt that starting with GTA IV R* tried to make the side missions more fitting for the character rather than just random money making side quests like the older games. For example Niko helping out Roman driving taxis is more fitting than say Claude, Tommy or CJ driving taxis since Roman owns a taxi depot in the story. Or Trevor dealing with arms trafficking for another one.

The HD era in general tries to tie the side missions in more with each of their respective stories than the 3D era IMO.

• Like 3

Payne Killer

I've always felt that starting with GTA IV R* tried to make the side missions more fitting for the character rather than just random money making side quests like the older games. For example Niko helping out Roman driving taxis is more fitting than say Claude, Tommy or CJ driving taxis since Roman owns a taxi depot in the story. Or Trevor dealing with arms trafficking for another one.

The HD era in general tries to tie the side missions in more with each of their respective stories than the 3D era IMO.

Yeah, I loved doing taxi missions for roman. Anyway look who's back, long time no see SoL.

QELXDiM.jpg

I can imagine whatever counts to 100% to be cannon. But then again, you never had that problem with older games, it only came about when Rockstar started getting cannon with everything.

That would make a lot of sense.

And yes like Trevor's rampages are way more fun to play and make more sense then the previous similar side missions.

• Like 1

The Mysterious One

To this day, I still find Tommy delivering pizza to people to be rather funny because it's so out-of-character of him to do that.

• Like 1

universetwisters

To this day, I still find Tommy delivering pizza to people to be rather funny because it's so out-of-character of him to do that.

I think that was forgivable because most of the III era wasn't too cannon or rather had a loose cannon, as opposed to the HD era

sTgL5iS.png

The way I understand, its important to differentiate between side missions connected to the storyline ( and obviously are canon) and everything else which is not, like vigilante, pizza delivery etc. because they finally end in rewarding you that has nothing to do with continuing the story or the narrative, esp. vigilante can be done infinitely unlike the pizza delivery, thus you can complete the story without them that further makes them non-canon!

I do not consider 100% requirements to distinguish, since they include everything, be it canon or non-canon!!

Also, GTA IV and GTA V have the least side missions to consider them in connecting the story missions, at all!

I could be wrong, but I don't find any proper 'canon' side missions of the HD titles that blend with the storyline. They add more interesting interactions with the protagonists.

Among 3D titles, excluding GTA III, VC and SA had good amount of side missions that served some purpose in blending the characters and the protagonist with his personal adventure, that comes across by the lines they shared regarding the overall narrative of the story.

Marnie's side quests are apparently canon. Wish Jeff's misogynistic way to his wife wasn't canon though. Emptied my Micro SMG into his small head!

In the HD era I'm pretty sure all of the Side Missions and Stranger missions can be considered Canon. III era not so much.

Lemoyne outlaw

i like to think random charecters/strangers and freaks are canon. speaking of cannons who would like to see a dlc strangers and freaks were cletus shows trevor a cannon and they use it to wreck havoc and then he gives it to you as a gift and it could be portable like a trailer. it would be like rdr. sorry for off topic but i had to

PowerKracker

Strangers and Freaks is definitely canon, it's a unique side story for each character.

Side missions like pizza delivery or vigilante are as canon as most gameplay stuff - broad strokes. Say, there are Star Wars games that are canon to the overall Expanded Universe, but it's their general stories and characters that are canon, not Kyle Katarn running around with a dozen of heavy guns in addition to a lightsaber, and not flinching when shot at en masse from all sides.

Problemses?

Pooyan Cyrus

Strangers and Freaks are 100% canon, because they were specific for each protagonist of V; But I don't think other Side mission are really canon. It just doesn't make sense. Because all protagonists could do them, and it's nothing special.