4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Lee Everett

Human population - Overcrowded?

Lee Everett

So I was bored and ended up viewing this graph, and it got me thinking. In school I'm sure we all learned about exponential growth, now is this a possibility for humans?

In 1960 we had 3 billion people in this world. And now in 2012, 50 years later we have 7 billion. So pretty much more than doubled within 50 years. What if it continued this way, in 2050 there would be around 15 billion. In 2100 around 30 billion. In 2150, 60 billion and finally by 2200, 120 billion. We probably won't live until then unless you're some super mutant, but if you have children, then your grandchildren will...How do you think people would be able to survive this? I'd assume it would be a lot easier to spread and catch diseases, even with medical advances. Then people would have to colonize more of the world, and in order to do so more forests would have to be taken down. In terms of food, we've always grown our own food through agriculture. But if hunting and poaching increases then I can see a lot of wild life going down and the natural animal kingdom could become at risk (animals immigrating to different areas due to no longer being able to find food, and then eventually dying off). And I mean all this is if we actually make it to 2,200. With all the nuclear weapons being created and used to threaten other countries, one of these days someone might just actually decide to use it. So now we have radiation to add to all these problems.

So my question is, would the above be possible? Why or why not. If so, how could it be prevented and how do you think living conditions would be? (I'm really curious about the subject)

myAuAnx.png

The Hippie

I've been thinking about this for a few years now. The subject whenever thought about, always sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Mainly because I believe this theory could easily become a reality, especially the way it's going at this rate. Not even thinking that far in the future though. Just thinking in the present, 7 billion is just wayyy too many people. Things could change but nobody really has an answer to that. I sure hope it does, not only would it be better for the planet, it would be better for the people as well. Although, I'm a guy that prefers to be to myself, and look out over a beautiful open landscape without seeing a human, telephone pole, road or car, etc. Some might see positives in a population increase, I just see a population overload and it pisses me off.

sivispacem

Population growth is slowing. We're due to reach a plateau in the next few decades. The world as it stands isn't overpopulated; the theoretical maximum workable population from some of the research I've seen on the subject was about 14 billion people and AFAIK we are due to plateau around 12.

El Dildo

your mothers vajayjay - overcrowd?

no but seriously, Sivis raises a good point.

your graph doesn't show projection beyond 2012 and it doesn't reveal the trendline prior to the 60's. it's not as if population growth is rising exponentially. the accelerations we are seeing in our lifetime is due mostly to the radical advances we've made in medicine and technology in the extremely short time period of 1 single generation. human advancement is usually much slower paced, but the dawn of the Tech Age and modern science has pushed the envelope further in the last 100 years than in the last 1,000 years combined.

we aren't due to continue like this.

that being said, you also need to define overpopulation.

are we overpopulated when we can no longer provide enough food for the planet? or drinking water?

or is it simply when we run out of living space? because we could certainly stuff a lot more bastards on this train if we were all willing to endure a much lower quality of life :lol:

Killerdude

Thanks India and China, for this extreme overpopulation.

They alone are responsible for like 4 Billion people, That's TWO countries, making up MORE than HALF the total population on the planet!!

But as Sivi said, We're due to level out for awhile sometime soon, so it won't get that bad, unless Research was wrong and it keeps rising.

Edited by Killerdude8

Girish

They alone are responsible for like 4 Billion people, That's TWO countries, making up MORE than HALF the total population on the planet!!

Don't worry. We're slowly and steadily shipping off people to Canada.

Killerdude

That's terrible, There's no way they'll be able to survive the Cold!

Frank Brown

But as Sivi said, We're due to level out for awhile sometime soon, so it won't get that bad, unless Research was wrong and it keeps rising.

India and China's birth rates aren't even in the top 50.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_birth_rate#Countries

GunWrath

Suprised to see the US so far down that list. I would have imagined it being higher.

sivispacem

And China and India's combined population is marginally over 2.5Bn, so nowhere near 4.

The birth rate statistics are very interesting. Amazing to see how much of Wester Europe has a flat or even negative growth rate based on birth statistics.

Pooyan Cyrus

And China and India's combined population is marginally over 2.5Bn, so nowhere near 4.

The birth rate statistics are very interesting. Amazing to see how much of Wester Europe has a flat or even negative growth rate based on birth statistics.

Yes, I remember Sweden had a big problem on that in last year's researches.

I think China should give away loans.

Edited by PooyanCyrus

John Smith

India and China? Overcrowded?

Pffft have you ever visited a council house in Manchester?

Killerdude

I was always under the impression China was at 1.9 and India at 1.4 billion people, Guess I was wrong, My bad.

sivispacem

1.35 and 1.23 respectively I think.

Girish

That's terrible, There's no way they'll be able to survive the Cold!

ORLY? Tell that to the 1,260,000+ Indians already living there.

GunWrath

There was an Indian that owned a gas station near my buddy's place named Yogi.. he used to give us free beer and give my friends pot, no sh*t. Cool f*cking dude. WE NEED MORE YOGI'S HERE!

D- Ice

Population growth is slowing. We're due to reach a plateau in the next few decades. The world as it stands isn't overpopulated; the theoretical maximum workable population from some of the research I've seen on the subject was about 14 billion people and AFAIK we are due to plateau around 12.

Very true man.

Also, most research I've seen seems to be based on current levels of technology (future technological advances are impossible to accurately predict and factor in). I'm sure that even that 14 billion threshhold can be easily overcome when technological advances allow for more efficient use of resources, discovery of new resources, and generally better resource management.

So I completely agree, I really can't see any basis for any fears of there ever being too much human beings on the planet.

In some areas, quality of life can be greatly hampered by poor resource management and population growth control, but I believe that overcrowding is far from being a global problem as the thread title implies.

Edited by D- Ice

Fraizer

The entire world population could fit in the state of Texas and itd only have the population density of New York City.

This means it'll be a long ass time before we reach the point of over population.

Edited by FRA1Z3R

ArcadeWilliamz

I don't think the worlds population is overcrowded yet you just have wait in till 2060 there would be like 22 billion people living on the planet. It's likely in Australia in 2060 there would be major cities built out in the middle of nowhere.

universetwisters

I remember reading something ten or so years ago that all the people in the world could fit in Montana.

LightningLord

-snip-

Edited by LightningLord411

Shah Sam

I bet that I can fit everyone from GTA forums in my basement.

My address: 8271 High Way, Breidablick, New Mexico, 87129-1444, US, (505) 249-0170

Come...

Edited by PaletoChickenCapo

Kampioen

We need better social structuring and technology, but Earth can support many times the current population. We do have a problem with overpopulation, but the root of the problem is not that there are too many people, but that we divide resources unequally and that we don't produce goods efficiently enough.

Brad

I think this largely to do with the fact that Western Europe, Japan and the United States are post-industrial advanced economies. Once more, the emancipation of women having control of their reproduction coupled with the fact that having children in a post-industrial economy is detrimental from a financial point of view to have children as they are, by in large, dependent on their parents to at least the age of 18 (and with growing admissions to higher education, to 21-25). Contrast to agrarian societies where having children is an economic benefit whereby they can contribute to the land but they are also a means for retirement for parents. You can also add to the fact that poor infant morality rates in those described regions contribute to a necessity of having a large family.

I don't think that graph assumes that those nations who are agrarian societies by in large will transform into industrialized ones and thereby decreasing the rate of growth as a world population.

Edited by Brad

Doc Rikowski

Cities are overcrowded... Most of the planet is still empty.

Kampioen

Cities are overcrowded... Most of the planet is still empty.

This is true but we do need to maintain forests or we would all choke.

Mister Pinkerton

Here's a solution

GTA_stu

Overpopulation depends more on how we live, rather than the total number of people on the planet. The resource and energy consumption contrasts between a person living in a highly developed country like the U.S. and a person living in an undeveloped country like Niger are vast. The planet can sustain considerably more people living a basic agrarian existence than it can sustain urban city dwellers with high energy and resource consumption needs.

So basically how many people we can cram onto this planet depends on how greedy and needy those people are.

Kampioen

Overpopulation depends more on how we live, rather than the total number of people on the planet. The resource and energy consumption contrasts between a person living in a highly developed country like the U.S. and a person living in an undeveloped country like Niger are vast. The planet can sustain considerably more people living a basic agrarian existence than it can sustain urban city dwellers with high energy and resource consumption needs.

So basically how many people we can cram onto this planet depends on how greedy and needy those people are.

This is not really true. We can support more city dwellers than people living a basic agrarian existance. If we were to divide all the land on earth fairly between the existing population, there would not be enough room for everybody to have a plot of land big enough to sustain themselves. We need advanced food production to support many people, not billions of individuals with primitive means of food production. It needs to be efficient, much more efficient than anybody could achieve with a simple agrarian lifestyle. You can produce so much more on the same land area with advanced technology.

The first part of your post is spot on though.

Finn 7 five 11

I was about to come in and say how western countries have nearly leveled out in terms of birthrates, but you've done it for me.

I feel developed flourishing nations need to do more to help less well off nations, education and all that jazz, bring the birthrates down.