GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Why are NPCs in cars so stupid?

Adeel007

I mean - you are driving along as they just swerve in front of you - especially in the country side on and near route 68 where on coming traffic will just turn right despite the fact you are speeding toward them and they don't even stop. Oh yeah trolls saying "learn 2 drive" - please don't bother commenting.

• Like 2

I'm not an NPC to answer this for sure, but maybe because they're AIs and not actual humans with brains?

... Or are they..? Sneeky R* employees

• Like 2

I agree. The A.I suck. Especially when you both crash and they put up a middle finger and STILL try to ram past you, despite both of you being now off the road

• Like 2

US Marshal1911

Yeah, it's in the game coding for them to crash into you. It's pretty dumb if ya ask me. Once a npc was in a right turn lane and when I was passing him, he floored it left instead.

• Like 2

Learn to drive, seriously.

Let's drive like a normal person... in GTA.

Fun!

• Like 1

Because they are programmed to collide with you.

This is a proven fact.

This is a proven fact.

Please post up coding

I havent seen anything to prove this theory at all

This is a proven fact.

Please post up coding

Go straight to 4:15 and/or 32:50

The rest of the vid is pretty interesting too if you have a few spare moments.

Edited by mr toasterbutt

Console. Limitations.

The old hardware in these consoles can hardly run this game. The game is already highly optimized to run on this crappy hardware, and Online uses a lot more resources -- NPC cars are tweaked to keep up with GPU performance. Weird stuff will happen like this. Just very glitchy.

don ovdi' island

They're not stupid. NPC's deliberatly try to hit you

This is true.

I was in a race earlier, had a nice 15 second lead and almost to the end and I was in the oncoming traffic lane and only one car that was ahead of me. It was stationary at a stop sign and I'm not even joking, it slithered into the other lane, it was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I then swerved left so I was off road and it still hit me.

The one thing that really pisses me off is when you have a head on crash with an NPC and they start ramming the sh*t out of you. I get so much pleasure from getting out of my car and beating them to death.

• Like 3

A Maned Wolf

I hate the race Weasel to Weasel.

Not that its a bad race, (actually pretty fun) but the AI traffic deciding to pull f*cking U-turns at the mouth of the tunnel is what ruins it for me.

I hate when an NPC runs me over then I pull them out & put 2 in their head only to have them txt me "you jacked the wrong guy." Then they set a bounty on me from beyond the grave

• Like 3

I hate when an NPC runs me over then I pull them out & put 2 in their head only to have them txt me "you jacked the wrong guy." Then they set a bounty on me from beyond the grave

It sounds like the NPC you killed said his name three times.... you know who... I won't say it :lol:

5f7065a926517cf769a306b55b210f8e.jpg

Betelgeuse...Betelgeuse.....

Edited by mr toasterbutt

Scripted events. For visual "immersion". Looks good on screen but feels like sh*t on the controller.

Even in GTA4 the traffic wasn't this maniacal.

Living world?

They just get spawned in front of you.

They are connected to your controls, just as the cops.

If you get stopped by the cops and try to drive past them, you will see how the car in front of you exactly match your controls to hinder you.

Think GTA V is bad? Try GTA SA.. Oh, and don't look behind you, as when you look ahead again there will be a massive bus in front of you and you will hit it.

Although to be honest, GTA V isn't too bad.. you have to take into account the way your driving too, running red lights, over taking next to a turning etc. If you drive as slow as the NPC and follow in traffic correctly, you'll find you won't have an accident (Unless you don't stop when they do haha)

Oh please, GTA players all drive like maniacs, of course we're going to hit pre-programmed NPCs.

Tilt your right-stick so you can see further ahead, plan your route, use the brakes.

I lose count at the number of squeakers in gaudy cash card supercars making stupid decisions.

It sounds like the NPC you killed said his name three times.... you know who... I won't say it :lol:

5f7065a926517cf769a306b55b210f8e.jpg

Betelgeuse...Betelgeuse.....

wow that was disturbing......

This is a proven fact.

Please post up coding

Go straight to 4:15 and/or 32:50

The rest of the vid is pretty interesting too if you have a few spare moments.

I watched that whole video before and looked at those moments again, but they don't prove that NPCs deliberately try to hit you. The first time the guy in the video even says "whether it's intentional or simply a bad spawning system, I don't know." At the first moment, the car is simply turning left (without using his indicators though). I could imagine this accident happening in real life. Nobody would expect someone to fly past them at that speed when they're taking a turn on an otherwise empty road. You could have checked your mirror, seen nothing there and assumed it was safe, then a second later a guy is coming around the road at 60 mph and overtaking you on the wrong side of the road.

The second moment, he explains why this happens afterwards. It's not because Rockstar wanted NPC cars to deliberately hit you, it's because they messed up on when the NPCs percieve danger. It's intended as a mechanic to make them swerve out of your way, and in many cases it does, but in corners like these they do this stuff. But you can see the guy can get past pretty easily. The NPC is mostly just braking with a very slight movement towards your side of the road.

Edited by CenMan

State_Trooper

Most of the NPC are reckless driver, I remember I was driving in a two lane road and the intersection up ahead, close to the intersection the lane separate as left turn (left lane), go straight (middle lane) and go straight or turn right(right lane). I was on the middle lane and it's green light, a NPC on the right lane up ahead suddenly turn left cross two lane to the left lane, BAM! I crash into the rear of his car, and then I drag him out and shot him.