2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

wiizardii

Is luiz lopez the worst GTA protagonist of all time?

AreWomanMadeFromSand?

Johnny Klebitz = A true badass!

What happened to him in GTA V was a fluke... We all know he was high on crystal meth and couldn't fight back ;)

And his voice acting in TLAD was awesome. I was sick when he went down by that prick Trevor. And after you get attached to some protag by playing him in previous game and then seeing him get killed in next game, that sh*t sucks.

He was a real badass, a hellraiser.

after that mission happened for the first time i quickly set trevor on fire and watched him burn

The Deadite

No, the worst protagonist ever is Michael De Santa, Luis is young, cocky, latin, snarky and a ladies man.

Michael is just a deppressed middle age weasel, an angry dad with a sh*tty family.

PhillBellic

No, the worst protagonist ever is Michael De Santa, Luis is young, cocky, latin, snarky and a ladies man.

Michael is just a deppressed middle age weasel, an angry dad with a sh*tty family.

Not to forget about his Shi*ty Friends and 'Colleagues'.

The Deadite

Not to forget about his Shi*ty Friends and 'Colleagues'.Franklin is dry and Trevor feels out of place in gta, but they are still either likeable or fun to play with at some level.

Michael has none of these qualities.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

PhillBellic

Franklin is dry and Trevor feels out of place in gta, but they are still either likeable or fun to play with at some level.

No, I'm taking more about his FIB Buddies. :p

The Deadite

Oh yeah, they suck more balls than Tony.

Prasdana21

No, the worst IMO is Huang Lee. Huang was such a prick.

Kess1987

I really enjoyed TBOGT - best IV campaign and tons of fun - but for me Luis is probably worst main character in the series. A bodyguard who is sh*tting down when Niko and the irish clan assaults the bank, and a bit later on he is stealing tanks and sinking yatchs. Come on...

And that "latin lover" and metrosexual attitude clearly indicates that he is a big gay. That all affaires with ladies is just a cover lol.

Far far below Tommy, Jonnhy, Niko and even Michael and Trevor. Maybe in line with CJ.

Edited by Kess1987

Gnocchi Flip Flops

And that "latin lover" and metrosexual attitude clearly indicates that he is a big gay.

Possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. You are ignorant...

Kess1987

And that "latin lover" and metrosexual attitude clearly indicates that he is a big gay.

Possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. You are ignorant...

Just joking... :lol::lol::lol:

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Haha okay :lol:

RogerWho
A bodyguard who is sh*tting down when Niko and the irish clan assaults the bank

What's wrong about that? It's not his bank.

Rascalov

Franklin is dry and Trevor feels out of place in gta, but they are still either likeable or fun to play with at some level.

The Deadite

sh*tty and boring mission for a sh*tty and boring protagonist, thanks for proving my point.

Rascalov

sh*tty and boring mission for a sh*tty and boring protagonist, thanks for proving my point.

Each to their own, I like Mike myself sure he's a hypocrite but he has more depth & charisma in his little finger than a Luis Lopez, I found his character intriguing.

I fail to see how a funny line of Dialogue is proving your opinion but fair enough.

OT

Luis is alright he's on the Franklin & CJ level he's OK.

Unpopular opinion but Tommy for me, just a one-dimensional generic goon & Bully who was saved by having a Hollywood actor voice him. I cringe when he puts Ken Lance & Kent down and unlike Trevor, he doesn't have the humour & memorable dialogue to save his character.

Edited by Rascalov

JoeyLeone21

Luis Lopez is IMO a very nice character. The way he's officially Tony's bodyguard but unofficially his sort of big brother and how he remain loyal to him in any circumstances makes him very appreciable for me.

Mike - and this comes from someone who finished GTA Advance - surprised me a lot in the endgame.

Spoiler

Once the guy decides to take revenge, not even three quarters of the colombian cartel or the Yardies coming to him with big guns and bombs can scare him off.

For me, the least good GTA protagonist is surely Johnny Klebitz (and I'm only talking about TLAD Johnny). While he's not a bad character, he's kind of a weak character and maybe too sympathetic for a GTA protagonist. I like him though.

LavenYeo

Not the worst I've seen, but Michael and Trevor in GTA V are

Crossbones
Posted (edited)

No. Luis is a great protagonist. He is just unappreciated and underrated. He is loyal, badass and he is into things that I personally love, like cage fighting and nightclub business. Though the characters surrounding him were annoying like Mori, Adriana, Moss and many more. He kinda reminds me of Al Pacino's character Carlito Brigante.  

Edited by Crossbones

Ze-Krush

probably my second favorite from GTA IV, he has the smallest head though.

ViceBoy69

Hes not the worst by a long shot he is a lot better than CJ and all 3 of 5's protagonists, at least with Luis like Niko you can get into the character and not sit there wondering why you even bothered playing the game in the first place.

EvaLisa

First Thing first, I'm not into the "best vs worst business dude", but well, l will try to give some perspectives. A bland character can be a good video game protagonist (IMO) and I will try to explain you why I think that.

In japanese culture, the bland protagonist is very common in both J-RPG and Visual Novels, because it permits the audience to not reject the character, and use it as a vessel/ship to discover the more flesh out characters of the universe. I hope you notice I use the word "universe" and not the word "story". Indeed, in a video game, unlike a movie or a book, the audience interacts with the universe it is exposed to, while in a movie or a book, the audience only follows the events and the characters in a world that creates the story. In a book or in a movie, the story is the core of the experience, while in a video game, the story is a part and a device (among others) of the whole experience (which is interacting with the universe).

This is why Claude is a "bad" protagonist from a story pov, but a decent character from a video game point of view. He is bland, you won't dive into his psyche or conflict, you won't relate to him, but he will be a functional device to explore the universe and the other characters you will meet in the game. He won't piss you off with bad oneliners, and he won't make you fall in love with him with clever speeches. He will just shut his f*cking mouth up to not interfere with your experience.

With that being established, let's move forward to more flesh out protagonists such as Johnny K. (TLAD) or John Marston (RDR). These characters have background, a view point on the world they experience, a way of talking, a way of thinking, and pretty much everything that a fully blown story protagonist has. And this is the reason why some people may fall in love with Johnny K (ie: Me), but also the reason why some people may despise him. Because it is all about empathy from now on, he interferes with your video game experience.

This is the very reason why I dislike Niko from GTA IV. Not because he is "the worst protagonist ever to be made in a GTA game" and not even because he is "a bad protagonist as a whole". He is actually a decent protagonist from a story pov to say the least. I dislike Niko because his way of thinking, his personal conflict (revenge) does not resonate with my own psyche (unlike Johnny K or Marston), and Niko damages my experience of GTA IV, because he kept shoving it down my throat. For the same reason, I dislike Niko, some people will love him. For the same reason I love Johnny K, some people will dislike him. Which brings us to Luis Lopez, and this topic (at last!).

Luis has a very generic background and no real personal conflict, which makes him a terrible protagonist from a story point of view. I'm a bit unfair since he has some conflict through Gay Tony's ones. Even the final mission reflects Luis conflict (kill Tony and move on, or stay loyal to him) but this is really not as fleshed out as Johnny K conflict with Billy Rey, or Niko's conflict with his revenge quest vs money quest. TBOGT is a short story, but TLAD too, so that is not an excuse.

So IMO, TBOGT is more about fan service, than story telling. TBOGT is more about having a vessel to discover a new side of the Universe (Ray Bulgarin, Tony Prince, Maisonette 9 and many more stuff mension in other episodes) and using GTA IV engine in its funniest way Nitro boost for races, Drugs wars more well thought than Gang Wars/Most Wanterd/Vigilante, Fight Club for melee combat.(which is the opposite of GTA V where GTA IV engine/AI has been downgraded).

TBOGT can almost be seen as a "parallel universe" (as Marvel does in comics or RDR's Undead Nightmare expansion, which I like), where everything in LC is over the top ridiculous and light hearted. And with that in mind, I think Luis is a good video game protagonist from that point of view. A really flesh out character would not fit that tone.. Luis is a badass action packed well built dominican womanizer with small penis. I mean: come on! That set the tone for the whole experience (story, main missions, side missions, characters).

The only problem I can have with Luis (from a character design pov), is if  I look at him from a Johnny K's perspective (TLAD) or a Niko's perspective (GTA IV). He is depicted as your Kalashnikov street thug. And in the end... no: he is the first GTA protagonist with Bullpup weaponery, he has sticky bombs, advanced M249, and so much more military sh*ts ! That is called "retcon" (and a bad one) and it hurts "supsension of disbelief" and "character consistency" (not as bad as Ray Bulgarin, but that is not the topic).

To conclude and answer the question with my personnal analysis:

• Is Luis Lopez the worst protagonist of GTA Series from a story pov?
  • It is definitly in the lower tiers along with GTA III Claude and Franklin (but Franklin is not really a story protagonist to me, he's more a deuteragonist, but let's not disgress)
  • Is Luis Lopez the worst protagonist of GTA Series from a video game experience pov?
  • Absolutely not. Luis reflects what Rockstar did with TBOGT. Satisfying requests of their consumers, by being the bystander of crazy characters's ambitions (Yusuf, Mori, hell, even Bulgarin lol)
  • If it is not the worst protagonist of the GTA series, then who will take that spot IYO?
  • First Thing first, I'm not into the "best vs worst business dude"

"And I'm not in the dude business dude".

ViceBoy69

You think Claude is poor protagonist?  you cannot compare him to other gta protagonists because he was the first, other protagonists are in some ways going to be better because he was Rockstars first try at proper 3D character.

Please dont make Claude out to be crap, you have no idea what you are talking about, if it wasnt for GTA3 there would not have been GTA as we know it.

EvaLisa
Posted (edited)

Yes Claude is a good video game protagonist, he is exactly like Max from Shining Force (a genesis  japanese RPG from the early 90's with a non talkative hero), and I explained why I think that, now if you don't agree with me, then I'm fine with that. I can compare Claude to any videogame protagonists by the way.

you have no idea what you are talking about

lol. Don't want to be offensive here, but wow, let met expose some facts. You don't know me, I don't know you, and there is no reason to be offensive toward each others. I actually do know what I'm talking about, you may not share my opinion (and I'm fine with that, and we can even establish a discussion if you want).

Edited by EvaLisa

TheSantader25

Luis is in the top half of my list. He definitely can't be the worst. We have Johnny for that. 

Jack Lupino

No definitely not.

Luis is funny,witty and charismatic.

He is way more interesting than other dlc protag.

And what does this forum has against my favorite characters?

First we got "is trevor the worst protag" thread now this.

simonp92
On 8/22/2018 at 7:43 AM, Jack Lupino said:

No definitely not.

Luis is funny,witty and charismatic.

He is way more interesting than other dlc protag.

And what does this forum has against my favorite characters?

First we got "is trevor the worst protag" thread now this.

I'm curious in what way he is interesting? To me he's pretty boring as a character. 

The biggest problem is that we don't get his story; we get Tony's. The story just happens around Luis. And his motivations are never really fleshed out. They're elluded to, that Tony saved him from a thug life, but even then I think he's too needlessly loyal to  trainwreck Tony to be relateable. Atleast Roman is Niko's cousin, so it makes more sense for Niko to always bail him out. Tony is just Luis' Boss, and it doesn't even seem like they're that close. 

iiCriminnaaL 49

I guess you spelled Trevor Philips wrongly.

Freodon

Nope, Luis is a cruel, cold-headed murderer despite that whole sweet nightclub theme of TBOGT. I think the contrast is good there