2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Best non-GTA game series?

TommyBellic13

TommyBellic13

Max Payne? Elder Scrolls? Fallout? Saints Row? Whats the best out there excluding our beloved GTAs

Hmmm nice bike

Max Payne gives GTA a run for its money when it comes to the stories, and they've had three consistently good releases with a nice ending to the series as a whole. There's no need for a Max Payne 4 unless Sam Lake returns to writing it, since I don't think Dan Houser can do it. There probably won't be a 4 anyway, so I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I would have said Saints Row, but 3 and 4 ruined the series for me. I know they say it has its own identity now and that it's no longer a "GTA clone," but I preferred when it was about gangbangers and when it had a bit of an over-the-top side to it, not presidents with superpowers fighting aliens.

Red Dead!!!

I would have lived to say assassins creed but its been completly ruined

TommyBellic13

Max Payne gives GTA a run for its money when it comes to the stories, and they've had three consistently good releases with a nice ending to the series as a whole. There's no need for a Max Payne 4 unless Sam Lake returns to writing it, since I don't think Dan Houser can do it. There probably won't be a 4 anyway, so I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I would have said Saints Row, but 3 and 4 ruined the series for me. I know they say it has its own identity now and that it's no longer a "GTA clone," but I preferred when it was about gangbangers and when it had a bit of an over-the-top side to it, not presidents with superpowers fighting aliens.

if they built off of Saints row 2 more instead of going AWOL with 3 theres a good chance they wouldve surpassed GTA by now

if they built off of Saints row 2 more instead of going AWOL with 3 theres a good chance they wouldve surpassed GTA by now

I highly...HIGHLY doubt that

TommyBellic13

Red Dead!!!

We'll see. RDR was the best game of last gen but as a series Revolvers not strong enough to give it any stature

Frantz Fuchs

Red Dead, Arkham.

Red Dead!!!

We'll see. RDR was the best game of last gen but as a series Revolvers not strong enough to give it any stature

Change of developer. Doesn't count.

Nah.

Edited by Frantz Fuchs

Hmmm nice bike

I don't think it would have surpassed GTA, but it would have made a good GTA competitor at least if they just went with what made SR2 a good game instead of focusing so much on the goofy aspect. And I think the problems at THQ at the time were causing issues for Volition during development, things like layoffs and having the story changed halfway during development. They ruined Red Faction in a similar way, that's another series I enjoyed (and it even had a connection to the Saints Row series) up until Armageddon. In RF Guerrilla, they had made a switch from the first person view in 1 and 2 to third person and also made it open world, plus it had an interesting story about a revolution. The open world gameplay could have used some improvements, but it was overall really fun to play, especially with the destruction mechanics. With RF Armageddon, they decided to not make it open world for whatever reason even though the idea was a hit, and they went with a dumb Dead Space-esque alien story. That one actually killed the series.

• Like 1

The Industry will be a totally different place without GTA (a franchise which will be 20yrs old in less than 3yrs;2017 and it already set a Legacy).

OT:Saints Row (until 3/4),Red Dead,Gears of War,Resident Evil,FarCry...or does it have to be Openworld Franchises only?

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Like 1

TommyBellic13

Well if you use the logic that Redemption and Revolver aren't connected because of different developers than its not a series

Edited by TommyBellic13

Well if you use the logic that Redemption and Revolver aren't connected because of different developers than its not a series

As long as they both share the same IP name/Moniker "Red Dead" they are part of the same franchise (no matter which dev is making them) even though RDR is total separate from the original game (2004) plus the IP was dropped before R* picked it up...btw the guy didnt say there werent related,you kind of misunderstood him (just saying ;)).

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Like 1

Lock n' Stock

Elder Scrolls for me right now, though that's probably because I started playing Oblivion again, and am still blown away by the scale and hours of gameplay hours it has to offer. Going to start Fallout 3 and Skyrim again as well. My GTA V disc keeps freezing. :sarcasm:

And maybe SR would come close if they hadn't taken a silly direction. IV was a guilty pleasure, but literally had NO identity and pretty much felt like a final nail in the coffin. Gonna sell all 3 games to a mate of mine.

Edited by xXGst0395Xx

TommyBellic13

As long as they both share the same IP name/Moniker "Red Dead" they are part of the same franchise (no matter which dev is making them) even though RDR is total separate from the original game (2004) plus the IP was dropped before R* picked it up...btw the guy didnt say there werent related,you kind of misunderstood him (just saying ;)). true my badd Edited by TommyBellic13

Damn.. Max Payne is definitely up there, the first one was a masterpiece in terms of gameplay and story (actually thinking of replaying it by the end of the month now that I'm reminded of it) Max Payne 3 was no exception.. it was bashed way too much by GTA fan boys to the point where the game became a ghost town right away.

Another series is definitely Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, overall it goes to the latter option.

• Like 4
948185.png

RyanBurnsRed

My best ones are:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R series

Red Orchestra series

Just Cause series

Half-Life series

Left 4 Dead series

ArmA series

Borderlands series

Saints Row series

IL-2 Sturmovik series

Star Wars: KOTOR series

Bioshock series

Dark Souls series (including Demon's Souls)

Total War series

The Sims series even though EA is about to ruin The Sims 4

Killing Floor series (putting this here since Killing Floor 2 is coming out)

Unreal Tournament series

Crysis and Crysis Warhead

The Walking Dead series

The Witcher series

Wing Commander series

ryanburnsred.gif

Elder Scrolls definitely. Fallout maybe. Max Payne. Im gonna go out on a limb and say Dragon Age. Origins was great. 2 not so much but I think Inquisition is gonna be off the charts. Also have to put AC on the list. Great game with great connecting stories.

Mine would be -

1. Baldurs Gate, Fallout and Witcher, these are the kind of games with such creativity, characters, and story to enjoy hours playing the adventure filled with variety of quests and uneven difficulty. It always brings be great joy playing them.

2. Max Payne - For the classics more than the latest one, but mainly as the solid shooter.

3. Hitman, Splinter Cell and Thief - Now these need no explanation. But, exclude the additions of modern crap from them. I'm simply a huge fan of the classics.

4. Hidden and Dangerous - Simply 'cause none has picked the concept of this wonderful series, and continued the few very good aspects of the series, thus I enjoy a lot more replaying them.

5. No one lives forever - Just like H&D, one of its kind.

6. Commandos - One of the toughest, intense real time tactic games that can take an entire day testing the players undying patience.

In simple words, all the games in the series, require planning and creativity significantly than run-and-gun mindless COD bullsh*t,

It offers a lot of variety on the endless freedom that's highly rewarding once you get into the game.

f*cking classic and one of the best!!!

Top 3:

1. The Elder Scrolls (starting with Morrowind. I did not like Arena or Daggerfall). Overall the best game series in my honest opinion.

2. Half-Life - been a massive fan since the series launched in '98. No other FPS even comes close.

3. Toss-up between Fallout and Mass Effect.

Some of my other favourites include Portal, Mafia, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider and Baldurs Gate.

utf-8Bb2xkc2Nob29sc2lnczE2YS5qcGc_zpsf59

Age of Empires series for best RTS series

Counter Strike series for FPS

Baldur's Gate series and KoTOR series for RPG's, once the 2nd Torment comes out that'll probably join as well.

Pokémon series for well... the pokémon genre of games.

Rollercoaster Tycoon for best theme park building.

Anno series for city building.

Silent Storm series for turn-based strategy.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series.

True Crime Series

The Witcher

Dungeon Keeper

Commandos (thanks for the reminder of that Osho, haven't touched them in years)

Spyro (the original series - First 3 games)

Destruction Derby series

Carmageddon (as long as Reincarnation doesn't screw up)

Others that can't really cut it because the sequels/trequels/multiquels aren't as good as previous ones: Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Mafia (2nd one just wasn't on par), SWAT (I did not like the switch to SWAT 3), FIFA and PES (for having some very mediocre titles in there compared to the previous year), Mass Effect, Dead Space, Gears of War, Army of Two, Kane & Lynch, Dragon Age (2nd one screwed up), Jagged Alliance got messed up, God of War turned into a yawn show, Devil May Cry turned into meh. Hitman doesn't cut it for me because it fluctuates too much between f*cking awesome and average.

Edited by Fireman

the ironic one

My top 20:

1. Mafia

2. Hitman

3. Half-Life

4. Far Cry

5. Crysis

6. Doom

7. Quake

8. F.E.A.R.

9. Max Payne

10. The Godfather

11. Driver

12. True Crime

13. Saints row

14. Medal of Honor

15. Red Faction

16. Call of Duty

17. Portal

18. Capitalism

19. Empire Earch

20. Age of Empires

10. The Godfather

My childhood game. I played this before watching the movie and absolutly loved it. The main Godfather theme has become extremly nostalgic for me because the game.

The movie is my second favourite (after good, bad and ugly) and the movie wierdly feels nostalgic even though I watched it for the first time about two years ago.

THE GODFATHER IS AMAZING VIDEO GAME AND MOVIE.

Btw The Godfather 2 game is sh*t (movie is great)

• Like 1

Payne Killer

My top 20:

1. Mafia

2. Hitman

3. Half-Life

4. Far Cry

5. Crysis

6. Doom

7. Quake

8. F.E.A.R.

9. Max Payne

10. The Godfather

11. Driver

12. True Crime

13. Saints row

14. Medal of Honor

15. Red Faction

16. Call of Duty

17. Portal

18. Capitalism

19. Empire Earch

20. Age of Empires

Cod, those games are all the same.

Also max payne at number 9 come on bro.

Real_Badgirl

Silent Hill for me. I know a lot of people don't like the Western made SH titles, but I think they're all great games. Yes, even Homecoming.

I'd say Resident Evil as well, but not every game in the main series was good. 0 was a chore to play and 6 was just terrible.

Without any order:

-Fallout

-Forza Motorsport

-Driver

-System Shock

-Sim City (to some extent at least)

-Half-Life

-Jak & Daxter

-Sly Cooper

-Ratchet & Clank

-Megaman Battle Network

-Deus Ex