Isn't this abusive to real people?

Pooyan Cyrus

Pooyan Cyrus

A Research or Just Some Fun, look at it the way you want!

So yes, today I was really bored. I thought of searching for GTA protagonists in real world, but how?

I found instantcheckmate which provides information about people in usa. And, although I didn't actually buy a report, I found out that some of GTA protagonists do really exist. And the funnier thing is that some of them exactly live in where they do in games.

I won't tell you which ones, and please don't spoil citizens' life, but I have a question: look at the title.

universetwisters

Is this the same Michael Townley from GTA 5? Is Trevor Phillips really the former chairman of the Equality & Human Rights Commission? My brother's name was Carl. Does that mean he was the biggest gangbanger in the 1990s? No. A name's a name. There's probably some bank robber in Tennessee with my first, middle, and last name and it wouldn't bug me a bit.

sTgL5iS.png

Pooyan Cyrus

Is this the same Michael Townley from GTA 5? Is Trevor Phillips really the former chairman of the Equality & Human Rights Commission? My brother's name was Carl. Does that mean he was the biggest gangbanger in the 1990s? No. A name's a name. There's probably some bank robber in Tennessee with my first, middle, and last name and it wouldn't bug me a bit.

No but when you see somebody with same name of IV's protagonist and lives in Bronx, NY then it is abusive of course.

Somebody pray for me, I don't want to be banned :/

universetwisters

No but when you see somebody with same name of IV's protagonist and lives in Bronx, NY then it is abusive of course.

There's a Trevor Phillips where I live too, not only that but there's one in my hometown. What's the big deal? People have names and with some names being more common than others, it isn't unlikely for there to be many folks with the same name.

sTgL5iS.png

So you are saying that someone who lives in Los Angeles, and has the surname Townley is automatically a former bankrobber? And a guy who has my name and lives in Sweden is automatically a guy who likes Airsoft? And is someone who lives in the desert who has the surname Phillips automatially a former bank robber and psychopath? Hmm, seems logical to me.

Pooyan Cyrus

So you are saying that someone who lives in Los Angeles, and has the surname Townley is automatically a former bankrobber? And a guy who has my name and lives in Sweden is automatically a guy who likes Airsoft? And is someone who lives in the desert who has the surname Phillips automatially a former bank robber and psychopath? Hmm, seems logical to me.

Look. Think of a game that takes place in a phoenix's ass. Its protagonist is Mr. Phoenix sh*t and he's a criminal.

You're the same except for being a thug. Isn't it abusive now?

universetwisters

Look. Think of a game that takes place in a phoenix's ass. Its protagonist is Mr. Phoenix sh*t and he's a criminal.

I'm still not getting the point. So you're saying in Los Angeles, there's a perfect doppelganger to Michael, only he doesn't do crime?

sTgL5iS.png

I'm not sure what you mean by 'abusive'. Abusive how? That they might be confused for their GTA namesake?

• Like 1

Liver Buster

I didn't get the point. You mean a man named Trevor Phillips living in the middle of a sandy soil may be offended because they've the same name as a meth tweaking psychopath who lives in a similar location? If there are people who get offended by such a thing, then they should grow the f*ck up.

People have similar names thats all...

I kinda feel bad for this guy

Queen Elizabeth II

What kind of site is this? Why is this even legal? What the hell.

• Like 2

7vtXEBN.png

Niko Montana

Just think about it, Carl Johnson, thats the most 'average' name ever. Doesn't mean every Carl Johnson was a gangbanger in 1992 who stole jetpack and kept getting called 'busta'. Same with Trevor Phillips, average name, doesnt make every Trevor phillps bank robber turned physipath. And shouldn't a site like that be illegal?

• Like 1

universetwisters

Come think of it. Trevor's last name is the same as my first name. I should sue Rockstar for libel.

sTgL5iS.png

Hm, well many people can be named phoenix_sh*t, it is a popular name afterall. Wouldn't be abusive at all :)

Pooyan Cyrus

Well, by saying 'abusive' I meant 'offensive. Sorry if I picked the wrong word, I'm still not great in english.

Btw, I said, There is somebody in Bronx, New York, who has the same name as GTA IV (Original Game) Protagonist.

Come think of it. Trevor's last name is the same as my first name. I should sue Rockstar for libel.

You couldn't. But, if a guy with the Exactly Same name as you (I don't know your name, so I say "Philips Something") who lives in Daytona Beach, you of course will not feel well about the game. I say again, somebody called Philips Something, living in Daytona Beach, appears in a video game as a badass criminal. Then you could, even if you don't want, you could sue them.

Yall should know that Bohan was a parody of Bronx.

I won't talk anymore about this, and won't give a sh*t if somebody locks it, because I have to tell more and more about the guy who I read about, and then, that's bad use of service and spoiling people's personal life from law's aspect.

Come to think about it.

Then you could, even if you don't want, you could sue them.

No, not really. I mean, you maybe could, if you found someone dumb enough to do it, but no judge in the world would let it go anywhere. Because it is a work of fiction.

• Like 1

universetwisters

You couldn't. But, if a guy with the Exactly Same name as you (I don't know your name, so I say "Philips Something") who lives in Daytona Beach, you of course will not feel well about the game. I say again, somebody called Philips Something, living in Daytona Beach, appears in a video game as a badass criminal. Then you could, even if you don't want, you could sue them.

I wouldn't think I'd feel unwell about it. In GTA 4, on Phil's answering machine, he called himself "Phil B" which I got a laugh out of because that's my first name and last initial.

• Like 1

sTgL5iS.png

Liver Buster

Did you know there are wacky people who even name their children after TV series characters? In my country, it's some kind of fashion to name children after a former government agent that now turned into biggest crook in the country, who is based on one of the biggest motherf*cker (I mean it, that guy was a total asshole) in the country's history. I mean I hate it, because the guy was nothing but a total asshole, and that TV series is f*cking racist, "over the top" patriotic (maybe some people see him a heroic character, but the fact that he's now the biggest mafia leader in the country according to the series fits with your thesis well, IMO), that annoys me but although I consider this totally "wacky", there's a fact like that in my country and probably throughout whole world.

• 2 weeks later...