2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

wiizardii

Why is GTA IV's lightning texture so damn dark?

wiizardii

I went back to IV today for some fun, but I noticed the annoying dark lightning, this is happens mostly at night time (obviously) And when it rains. Maybe its because I am so used to V's lightning texture.

Vercetti42

Because the game was meant to be dark and gritty.

You could always adjust the brightness, contrast and saturation in the game settings. Works for me.

wiizardii

Yeah maybe I should do that, but still. Just because the games theme is dark and gritty doesn't mean R' are gunna turn the entire brightness and sh*t down to all black and crap. For example, Goodfellas theme is about gangsters and the criminal underworld right? That doesn't mean that the studio are gunna decide to turn the lightning and brightness down to all black. That would make Henry Hill look like a depressed bastard, and Tommy less cool.

Algonquin Assassin

GTA V's lighting is generally more clear and crisp than GTA IV's so if you haven't played GTA IV for a while it's going to look pretty bad. I play it almost every day so I don't notice it as much.

Payne Killer

Son of liberty is right about that it will look bad at first but after a while it makes v look like crap.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I made my game bright but with little saturation so that everything looks a little greyed out - in a good way. It's what helped me grow more immersed into the gritty city that is Liberty.

Payne Killer

^ I just bumped up the saturation a little and it looks better.

Drunken Cowboy

Are you playing on PC?

The dofference between vanilla and ICEnhancer is monumental. Walking through LC fills me with life as opposed to forcing me toward suicide.

wiizardii

Son of liberty is right about that it will look bad at first but after a while it makes v look like crap.

makes V look crap? Bro, come on............

Edited by Phoenix_Shit

TJGM

I think we can all agree that V is graphically better than IV. :p Better shadows, better sky sphere, better weather effects, etc.. IV has some pretty bad effects if you ask me like the depth of field that they used to cover up aliasing, the motion blur when driving fast, the pretty terrible looking sun, etc.. :p

Still, I think IV has a much more detailed map which is more fun to explore and immerse yourself in.

EDIT: Well I just realised that was pretty off-topic, mah bad.

Edited by TJGM

Payne Killer

makes V look crap? Bro, come on............The lightning is to bright in V.

TJGM

The lightning is to bright in V.

The lighting in V is fine, turn down your brightness if its too bright.

Payne Killer

I have my TV brightness half way and GTA V brightness lowered to make night time look better

I'm not saying v looks bad it just doesn't have the atmosphere we saw from trailer 1-2

Edited by maxpaynefan

TJGM

I have my TV brightness half way and GTA V brightness lowered to make night time look better

I'm not saying v looks bad it just doesn't have the atmosphere we saw from trailer 1-2

Oh, great. You're one of those "GTA V's lighting doesn't look like it does in the trailer so it automatically makes the current lighting look bad". Seriously, the lighting is fine.

Payne Killer

Oh, great. You're one of those "GTA V's lighting doesn't look like it does in the trailer so it automatically makes the current lighting look bad". Seriously, the lighting is fine.I don't think its bad but l

LS should have the pinkish glow like LA

wiizardii

Oh, great. You're one of those "GTA V's lighting doesn't look like it does in the trailer so it automatically makes the current lighting look bad". Seriously, the lighting is fine.
I don't think its bad but l

LS should have the pinkish glow like LA

Not really, people would automatically complain say that GTA V is the worst game of all time if they just had a little pink glow... IMO it wouldn't be that good , but GTA V is brightness is ok for me. Maybe its your TV?

Payne Killer

No its not my TV im sure. But GTA v is the best looking game on 360 and ps3

TJGM

No its not my TV im sure. But GTA v is the best looking game on 360 and ps3

Eh.. its hard to say. I'd say Max Payne 3 looks better than it, so does Red Dead Redemption.

Edited by TJGM

Payne Killer

^ I think instead of upgrading the graphics of GTA V on Xbox 360 and ps3 they should've used rdr graphics.

MP3 still looks good if not better than GTA V

Edited by maxpaynefan

kevin de santa

Another thing that always annoyed me about iv

MeatSim64

Because the game was meant to be dark and gritty.

You could always adjust the brightness, contrast and saturation in the game settings. Works for me.

Yeah, on default settings while I was chasing

Mikhail Faustin

I couldn't see sh*t and ended up almost failing the mission because of it.

I did increase the brightness and it was much much better.

Xav Curbelo

I remember going back to IV after playing V for a while. I spent like a week adjusting my TV setting, but I got used to it. I realized how much I missed the dark lighting of the game.

GTA V Is On PC

It's not very dark if you are playing on PC. Besides, I think it fits the city good imo. It fits Niko's life.

Cr!minal

Those who still don't know - brightness and contrast options do the opposite thing (at least for Xbox 360 version).

When you increase brightness slider, it actually raises white levels a.k.a. contrast and when you increase contrast it ups the black levels a.k.a. brightness.

I found that best thing to do is leave Brightness (Contrast) silder to its default value and only increase Contrast (Brightness) slider notch or two.

You don't want to set Brightness slider much higher from default value, because it will cause loss of detail in highlighted areas. For example sky becomes over exposed in clear days and you cannot make out any cloud details.

It is also important to mention that all settings are individual, because different TV's have different settings and console settings (like reference levels and color space) also play important role in picture quality.

GTA V (and already RDR) improved lot in terms of lightning engine, that's why they look brighter and "happier" :)

Edited by Cr!minal

Pooyan Cyrus

Because GTA IV is a damn dark game.

Zello

I hate when it happens durring night time especially durring a mission like pegorinos pride makes it so damn difficult and you cant see a damn thing everything looks all burnt up. I used to think it was just my game or something was wrong with my 360 and changing up the visual settings just made it worse.

Edited by Zello

Flachbau

I think that was the point of the mood setting in GTA IV. They wanted it to be dark, and gritty, like what Vercetti said up above.

Lowi

GTA IV lighting sucks.

B Dawg

IV was perfect for me, everything was perfectly visible on default brightness/contrast.

elhazardvalve4738

IV was perfect for me, everything was perfectly visible on default brightness/contrast.

Agreed.