Meteorites & Ferris Wheels Explained

Palmyra

I suppose many of you who play GTA Online quite frequently have come across large meteorites and ferris wheels spawning in the session - usually around Mission Row and Legion Square. Myself and other crew members have stumbled upon these a number of times.

This article explains why they are there, for those who are interested.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gta-5-online-meteorites-asteroids-ferris-wheels-created-by-modders-not-rockstar-1459629

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

They can be a bit of a nuisance, but you can remove them by pressing R1 and L1 simultaneously while the lobby is loading - this clears your cache. They do not do any harm, but they will load into any lobby you join along with your character.

• Like 2

mikkelhansen

Actually what I think more people may be interested in, is why they almost exclusively spawn near Strawberry Avenue in Downtown. Because the garages are technically located just beneath the park on Strawberry Avenue, so everytime a player joins the session and has spawn location set to garage (and that player is "infected" by the asteroid phenomenon), a new asteroid spawns near the park.

If this has been mentioned in one of the countless other asteroid/ferris wheel thread, please disregard this post.

and it took them this long to confirm its modders and not rockstar?? what meteorite have IBTimes been hiding under for the last 2 months? ecb2....

Does it explain these pesky cones also?

0_0.jpg

more than likely, or random bouys in the middle of the street.

JoeBoneless

International business times.... They must have a lot to cover hahahaha

So it's all making sense

The asteroids 'follow' you and when you spawn, well, most people have the ten car garage, so I think the asteroid ate spawning at strawberry ave because that's where most people spawn?

LoonySpangles

I have honestly never seen either of these things happen...guess im just that lucky!

Find some unknown players to shoot at, hopefully you will encounter a hacker. No doubt this hacker will either ignore you or make you become the new toy.

Check my profile pic what happened to me on the latest occasion.

Previously I have been turned into a NPC.

Been knived to death while I am roaming inside a tank.

Teleported into various appartments and garages and normally inaccessible locations.

Had a ferris wheel spawn over me, rendering me unable to move.

Whizzed around the map at super velocity speeds.

etc etc.

Never a dull day when a hacker is in town.

We Are Ninja

So, for these to appear, a modder has to log in and literally place them on the map. Like, take time away from whatever else they had going to place these objects... That don't really affect anyone, much less impress anyone... I have NO idea why they even bother.

So, for these to appear, a modder has to log in and literally place them on the map. Like, take time away from whatever else they had going to place these objects... That don't really affect anyone, much less impress anyone... I have NO idea why they even bother.

strictly speaking thats not true... its almost viral, modder places 1 asteroid in session 1... if even just 2 people (call them A and B) form that session see the asteroid it caches on their console...

A and B then move to a new session, call them sessions 2 and 3.. the Cache loads the asteroid into their session... lets say person C and D see it

A B C and D leave for a new sessions (to avoid the "modder" whos actually still in session 1) then Sessions 4 5 6 and 7 also have asteroids...

Now we have 7 sessions with potentially 16 players per session ( or 112 people) seeing the asteroids...

We Are Ninja

Ah. Gotcha. "Viral" is a very accurate way to describe it, then, LOL.

The modder in session 1 is still lame AF, tho'.

Ah. Gotcha. "Viral" is a very accurate way to describe it, then, LOL.

The modder in session 1 is still lame AF, tho'.

agreed,

but the reality of it is that genuine folks liek you and i also inadvertently spread these to other sessions cos its in our cache..

someone else esplained (would take me a hile to dig out a link to the thread) that the "garage" that we all ahve, is actually physically located under

0_0.jpg

this bit of the map, which is why so many spawn around there, as everytime you enter/leave your garage it spawns a new one...

so say your at eclipse (euurgh) and a modder places an asteroid outside your garage door, you leave, but then go back into your garage.. a new asteroid spans here ^^^^

likewise if you leave and join a new session with spawn set as "garage" a new asteroid spawns... you guessed it... here ^^^

this si why a strong mod-menu fixing patch is desperately needed

We Are Ninja

WOW. That is incredibly obnoxious.

Captain Revenge

If you think the modding and hacking is crazy now, just wait until Oct when the PC version comes out. When you play the hackable PC version through the hackable PS3 you get chaos. Similar to the large amount of modding BS that ruined GTA 4. Until PSN gets their head out of their own ass and makes the console less vulnerable to hacking, this will continue. Hacking and modding should be treated like a cyber crime warfare, they are degrading a product and interfering with the sales of that product, costing game makers millions in preventative measures and lost game sales.

Gerald Spoder

This news seems just wonderful and I can't wait for the creative ways players will make the whole GTA experience better when the PC version comes out.