Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,202 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

SirPhilMcKraken

Has your opinion of Rockstar changed since GTA Online?

SirPhilMcKraken

Its no doubt that Rockstar are one of the most respected game developers, pushing the boundaries of open world development and make some engaging, quality games. But since GTA Online's release, theres been nothing but unfulfilled promises, some odd decisions and technical issues, some of which have been around since the beginning and STILL not been resolved almost a year down the line.

Don't get me wrong, I still play GTA Online with my crew mates almost everyday because its a great playground but in terms for actual game content for it, they've gone for quantity over quality. Most of the races and missions aren't particularly special and these days the majority of people do them purely for the money aspect.

I always used to frown down on money glitchers, I earn't my money legitimately by doing jobs and playlists and hated the way that everyone had 10 supercars fully modded when I only had a few street cars fully modded even though I spent more time earning but a few months ago I had had enough. I had played Rooftop Rumble for the billionth time and it just wasn't fun, but tiresome. Its a game, not a full time job. Money glitching bypasses the grind aspect and funds the fun. I wouldn't have too much of an issue with money if things didn't cost incredibly unrealistic amounts. I don't mean cars, I'm talking about clothes and weaponary mainly. I mean, $60k for a firework launcher that we can only buy ammo for on certain occasions?

Also its not uncommon knowledge to know that they have done live streams with known glitchers and promoting, yet they punish us for doing it? What kind of moral standard does that show?

And yes they have listened to use on some things that we have asked for but theres so many things that they don't allow us to do that don't actually harm the game or give an advantage. For example, storing police cars. What is the harm in storing one and even maybe modifying it? Its a car with flashy lights and a special livery, it doesn't exactly give you god mode. Many many people have asked for it, along with military and police uniform but they refuse to budge on the topic.

I had some big respect for Rockstar before and on release of GTA V but this Online part of the game has been handled quite poorly and they have been terrible at communicating with us. They made $1billion in sales, surely they should have fixed the game by now?

I appreciate the free DLC (which may or may not be another cash card pusher) but I would much rather they focus on fixing the game and delivering on past promises before going on any further.

/end long text :p

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken

Steve

Compared to San Andreas, they watered down GTA IV and V allot. Hopefully on the PS4/XBox1 versions, they'll add what should've been in the game in the first place. Still great games, but they need to go and have a look at the old recipes that made Vice City, and San Andreas the games they were.

RDT33

The thing is, no matter how hard they try or say that they might be, Rockstar isn't our friend. Rockstar is a business, and businesses do what they are meant to do, make money. I don't fault them for making their money. Do I wish they would follow through on some promises? Well yes, but they are doing a fine job. My opinion has not changed.

Dottie

Absolutely not

SirPhilMcKraken

Compared to San Andreas, they watered down GTA IV and V allot. Hopefully on the PS4/XBox1 versions, they'll add what should've been in the game in the first place. Still great games, but they need to go and have a look at the old recipes that made Vice City, and San Andreas the games they were.

Yeah I agree. Its become a bit too realistic and its taken some of the fun out of it. I like serious undertones but when it comes to realism over fun, they need to shift the marker a bit imo.

marco-polo

Unfortunately you've mentioned glitches and added your opinion, which will mean this will turn to sh*t thanks to that.

I've been a bit disappointed with their decisions and lack of content, the heist thing is so far gone that i couldn't give a sh*t anymore, the supporting glitchers thing is pretty backwards, the prices and in my opinion the lack of stuff to do at this point is f*cked.

It's addictive, and a great game, but if they don't improve then they will lose my respect.

Edited by marco-polo

Wulf Raycevick

No, my opinion on them has not changed.

They have made some stupid decisions, we all do. They aren't perfect and asking them to be isn't fair. People seem to conveniently forget that it's an army of glitchers, modders, and hackers vs a small team of R* support personnel( I would put their numbers between 40 to 200) trying to fix the problems. Things aren't going to be fixed fast.

This is also R* second attempt at online, no RDR doesn't count since there wasn't really anything glitch, mod, or hackable in that game, GTAO is a BETA. Problems are going to happen.

The communities problem, is that we have been spoiled by multiplayer companies that have built up experience dealing with these problems. R* hasn't.

Edit: I mean common man! R* has 10 GTA games and 2 are online. This is a learning process with them.

Edited by Flicksy

Coin

Improved*, actually. Primarily because IV's online experience never yielded close to the hours GTA Online has so far.

*That's not to say some things aren't disappointing.

Edited by Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Starscream_910

@OP... Yes and No :-)

Yes in a sense that I see where your frustration stems from- your points about the unrealistically big price tags, boring/ low payout missions and races etc are all very valid, and many will agree.

But one key fact we have to remember- as much as we love R* for their excellent games, they ARE a profit driven business and not a charity. Hence, their objective, no matter how much you beat around the bush, is to make a profit.

And rightfully so! They work hard and produce excellent goods ^_^

With this in mind, my thoughts on R* have not changed drastically.

They've, in effect, created an entire new dimension to online gaming with GTAO, and it's hard to judge them for it, because there's nothing remotely similar to its expanse to compare it with.

Edited by Starscream_910

SirPhilMcKraken

I'm not asking them to be perfect, no-one is. I just wish they would fix the problems that have been around for months such as the crate drops and things like that. I understand that companies like EA have much more experience in multiplayer so can react quicker but its just the simple game breaking bugs that I wish would be fixed thats all

Yes in a sense that I see where your frustration stems from- your points about the unrealistically big price tags, boring/ low payout missions and races etc are all very valid, and many will agree.

But one key fact we have to remember- as much as we love R* for their excellent games, they ARE a profit driven business and not a charity. Hence, their objective, no matter how much you beat around the bush, is to make a profit.

They've, in effect, created an entire new dimension to online gaming with GTAO, and it's hard to judge them for it, because there's nothing remotely similar to its expanse to compare it to.

I agree with all of that :)

Kohr-Ah

My major complaint is the combat system. RDR aiming just can't work with automatic weapons IMO. I mean, come one man. I just did a gang attack and it takes like, what, 15-20 bullets to kill someone when they can take me down with like 5? That's just bullsh*t right there.

All in all, Online is a good thing. Not a great thing, but good for Rockstar's first attempt at making a true online experience.

But to respond to the topic, my opinion is changing for the worse, simply due to their lack of communication. They need to learn that they have to communicate if they're going to run something like this. This isn't a singleplayer game anymore. They can't just brush off everything and everyone if they want their game to live.

Wulf Raycevick

I'm not asking them to be perfect, no-one is. I just wish they would fix the problems that have been around for months such as the crate drops and things like that. I understand that companies like EA have much more experience in multiplayer so can react quicker but its just the simple game breaking bugs that I wish would be fixed thats all

They've, in effect, created an entire new dimension to online gaming with GTAO, and it's hard to judge them for it, because there's nothing remotely similar to its expanse to compare it to.

I agree with all of that :)

I completely agree, it is very frustrating. The crate drop bug is especially annoying when players turn it into a battleground and it never shows.

Off topic: if you want to play a game that has ridiculously priced food and clothes, play Sleeping Dogs. 3k for a damn drink or a bowl of noodles.

SirPhilMcKraken

The crew and I had about an hour long battle over it the other day lol

I love Sleeping Dogs xD It didnt cost that much did it? :p

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken

999bats

STILL the greatest game company in my opinion
no change of opinion

Wulf Raycevick

I love Sleeping Dogs xD It didnt cost that much did it? :p

Lol as do I, even have it on my console. Oooh ya.

StangOne50

before gtav love R*.

After gta v hate R* with a passion lol

SirPhilMcKraken

Must be the exchange rate :p The melee system in that game is top notch!

Zondar

My opinion hasn't changed at all.

GTAO is not perfect by any manner of means and my play time has dropped significantly in the last month or two.

However, for an initial outlay of £32 and £36 in cash cards I've had over 4 1/2 days play in SP and about 20 days play in MP.

I really struggle to think of any other form of entertainment than comes close in terms of VFM. Maybe a 50p kindle book from Amazon?

An other reason I may not be disappointed is that long ago I stopped paying any attention to prerelease hype for games, films, books, albums etc. Other than a couple of you tube trailers I had no idea really what I was buying when V came out and I feel my overall experience is better for it.

Arya35

After San Andreas R* just went downhill.

jackjoejim

No, my opinion on them has not changed.

They have made some stupid decisions, we all do. They aren't perfect and asking them to be isn't fair. People seem to conveniently forget that it's an army of glitchers, modders, and hackers vs a small team of R* support personnel( I would put their numbers between 40 to 200) trying to fix the problems. Things aren't going to be fixed fast.

This is also R* second attempt at online, no RDR doesn't count since there wasn't really anything glitch, mod, or hackable in that game, GTAO is a BETA. Problems are going to happen.

The communities problem, is that we have been spoiled by multiplayer companies that have built up experience dealing with these problems. R* hasn't.

Edit: I mean common man! R* has 10 GTA games and 2 are online. This is a learning process with them.

So many things wrong about this post.

Anyway. I just think online multiplayer is not R* ball park. They just seem to keep failing the majority. Fair enough if they made millions from cash cards, but they could have made more if it wasn't for:

Boring content picked out of the "cut from game bin."

Payouts vs time effort.

A Pay to Win system

Technical issues.

The game also seems years behind because it took them too long to dev & release. The character creator is just disgusting & ancient. A few features copied from saints row 3. And then theres the whole modded liberator image thing.

Sometimes i wish they would just stick to single player. Opinion has changed

Edited by jackjoejim

fw3

Don't get me wrong, I still play GTA Online with my crew mates almost everyday because its a great playground but in terms for actual game content for it, they've gone for quantity over quality. Most of the races and missions aren't particularly special and these days the majority of people do them purely for the money aspect.

I think this is an excellent discussion topic and I'm happy you posted it, OP.

For me, I look at it from two very distinct perspectives: Single Player and Online

Single Player:

For the $59.99 bucks I dropped on this game, it went beyond my expectations and is still, arguably, the most brilliant "game" I've ever played, taking the GTA universe to a new level.

Online:

With Online, Rockstar chose to go for the jugular of exploiting gamer addiction and nefariously manipulating an entire in-game world with GTA$ and real-world micro-transactions.

Ever wonder why a paint job in SP costs $2300, but Online it costs $14,800? Ever wonder why the LSPD don't arrest us, like they did in every other GTA game and instead kill you with a one-star level? Because the Online game is designed to drain your Maze Bank account faster than you can earn it. In every aspect of the game, money is the root.

So, the only options are to buy expensive cards, which keep you from buying other games (so you'll keep playing GTAO to "get your money's worth) or cheat/glitch, which Rockstar may not approve of, but which they also could contain much better if they truly wanted to.

Summation:

SP is a brilliant experience, worth the money and time to play it. Rockstar is a hero for this one.

Online is the greedy, money-grubbing, sneaky little brother to SP that makes me look at Rockstar and say, "<insert expletive> YOU!"

If you're interested, there's a ton of research about gamer addition out there. This video is interesting enough to share:

MadeBrazen

Don't forget they are owned by Take 2, who i would guess is the real driving force behind the ruthless monetary decisions.

I believe R* still has some of the most talented and original developers there, I guess they are restrained by decisions coming down from the top of the tree.

However the story of V left a lot to be desired when compared to the compelling IV and the absolute masterpiece that was RDR.

Shaundi.

They're one of the most respected game developers. My opinion hasn't changed since Online :) although it had hiccups but what's disappointing is the crate drop glitch which they haven't fixed. They used to be very common before January. Other than that, everything is good :)

Dottie

[omitted to save space]

Well said

livejoker

I see what you're saying, OP, and I agree to some degree. Also, this thread has a lot of GTA IV hate.

Long version:

GTA IV is my favorite game of all time, I consider it a masterpiece. It's well-done, engaging, inviting, mysterious but well known. Liberty City is just waiting to be explored and while you always end up in the same spots of the city, you still think about the rest of it. The characters feel authentic and you get attached to some. From the low-gritty Russian deals moving to the ghetto shoot-outs to a full-blown mafia war, it reminds me a lot about the type of progression GTA:VC had (which isn't up high on my list as most people have it but still a great game). OP, you have no idea how many hours I spent on GTA IV. I completed the story four times, nearly achieved 100% (it's my goal to do it one day but those damn pigeons are a handful) and the good times I had with buddies at that airport online cannot be replaced with all the money in the world. Man, if you found an Infernus or were the guy to go get the Sultan RS on the left island you were the cool guy at the airport. I played GTA IV until a week GTA V came out. Sure, at some points I stopped playing for weeks but I always came back to GTA IV as it was such a great game.

So do I think better or worst of R* with my experience with GTA:O? First off, GTA V's story is amazing. While I did rush to 100% in just two weeks so I could concentrate on the highly anticipated online when it would release, I still enjoyed it. If I could go back, I would take my time more and take it all in. I don't even remember the missions that well but I remember the GTA IV ones down to the detail. I don't remember the characters that you meet and I sometimes forget Michael's family. I think having 3 characters as the lead was a big project and excited R* are kind of the first to do that but it could use some tweaking. I felt like I had to put myself in a mindset for each and it was overwhelming at times. I can't help it as I love to BE the character. I'll read all their emails, call up people to see what they're doing and just act as if I was that character so it was a bit hard to manage 3 lives. Overall, GTA V's story made me admire R* even more as I knew by playing the game that R* weren't the guys that created one foreign guy that came to America to live with his fat cousin that always wanted to go bowling. No, this was R* on the mainstream level where GTA V was going to be bigger than GTA IV ever could be. I knew that before online released. I was now in full admiration of R* and proud to call myself a fanboy (although I am for many years).

Online...that took me down a few pegs. First, the connection issues. I had a few issues but I was one of the first in my group of friends to play GTA:O and it made me feel special (R* loves me type of deal). I felt like a reporter; discovering things and telling my friends about it so when they could join me they would know what's up. I knew the issues were due to millions of people trying to connect all at once. 2 weeks wait to play the story was a great concept but the waiting had people scratching themselves in anticipation. Damn, I know about people who bought the game 2 weeks later just to play GTA:O, they didn't even touch the SP aspect. Connection issues aside, the first few weeks of GTA:O were amazing. Exploration, hanging out with buddies all the time, etc. Tons of fun. Then the millionaire days hit. Everyone was rich. Lobbies were made just to hand out money. My friends and I were still crazy about buying stuff but had no money so we were like, "yeah, f*ck it, let's find a money lobby". Search on a certain forum gave me a gamertag, guy invited me in and I was 300 million GTA dollars richer. I bought all I could (except the tank, I hated it back then, still hate it now). I was a bit bummed with the money thing because I saved up A LOT of money for the buzzard and bought it legit and then I was broke for a bit. Thinking back, I'm glad I bought the buzzard with legit money because it's the best damn thing GTA:O has to offer me. Love that thing.

Spend money on cars/clothes/friends, no more missions/races. Just freeroam fun. Possibly the most fun I've had since GTA:O launched. We were grinding Titan of a Job then Violent Duct (before it got patched) then Coveted and now we're suddenly more loaded than a train in India. While I had fun with the game, I was concerned about R* and how it must suck to have your work created over years ruined in just weeks. Money swipe came and I was happy for R* and all felt good. Some greedy friends stopped playing but true GTA fans stuck around. Had fun again. Went back to doing missions and stuff because we weren't the type to save 10 chradders to sell later as we're not money whores like most people on GTA are. Over time, friends stopped playing, GTA:O got stale. I still play but friends moved on. I always play GTA and my friends just play other games or go live a real life. So GTA:O and GTA V as a whole lost its magic as times with friends were a thing of the past. Even if I had friends to play with, I still feel the good times are gone. When this happened for GTA IV, this is around the time Lost & Damned would be released but GTA:O doesn't have a big add-on as that. All we get is bite-sized things for bite-sized fun. So R* are releasing small DLC/updates, new tactic, I don't mind. I remember I stayed up for the release of Lost & Damned and PAID for it. This is free so it's all good.

Updates aside, GTA:O isn't what the trailer promised. No heists. No 700+ missions. Some things I thought could be done but i was just hopeful. For example, I thought the Sandking was a normal truck that could be lifted. Or that shot from the apartment with the cars below and the jet whizzed by. I thought people would be friendly - such as a friendly fire off lobby. Or the cops would be realistic and you could spend $100,000+ on a car and escape their puny city cars. Nope. Nope. Nope. Am I disappointed with the game? Yes. Am I disappointed with R*? Hard to say. It's a new platform, they're slowly building GTA:O to grow. Go play any alpha and some things are bound to suck. I like to think as GTA:O as that; an alpha. It's not complete. It doesn't feel like it. GTA IV MP had game modes that were popular (cops & crooks) and it felt like it had a small but dedicated community as I always did races with the same players (join random lobbies and I would sometimes meet the same guys). GTA:O? Everyone is either in an Invite Only so I never meet them or they're a dick. GTA IV you could run away from people and they would find another target. Good luck getting away from someone in GTA:O. If you piss them off somehow or look appealing when you passed by in a car, they'll send a mugger, mercs and grab their tank. So I feel R* aren't focusing on the community side of the game. The remedy is simple: Red Dead Redemption type of menu where you can enter friendly fire off lobbies, band up with players and fight cops.

I'm not disappointed with R* as much as I should...I just feel like such a hipster. I first got a glimpse of GTA when my brother brought GTA 3 home when it came out. I was amazed at the sirens the police car made and that Banshee in that showroom in the first city. Never completed GTA 3 - hard game that I never got around to play as I got older and better. That was R* when they were new to this stuff. Vice City was the next step and then San Andreas was their full potential. GTA IV was a new direction and I loved it so GTA V should be a step above that, right? While it's an amazing game, I feel they got too ambitious. They're appealing to the mainstream now. That's why I feel like a hipster: I knew R* when they were R*, not some monthly-update release company. I'm still waiting on the real R* to show up like releasing REAL DLC that you pay for and isn't a rip-off (GTA IV DLC was amazing), that they listen to the community and give us features that were in GTA IV like removing cops from lobbies (thus tweaking freeroam so armor trucks can't spawn and can't rob stores, etc, can't make money without cops). R* are just missing points that should of been in the game. I guess we're just expecting a different game when we waited for GTA V. I can guarantee you R* would be praised like crazy if GTA V released, amazing story as it is, 2 weeks later server issues are still there but wait a few weeks to clear up and everyone is greeted to GTA IV-esque online player. It's GTA:O with the whole money thing and all but friendly fire off lobbies and no cops/weather actions are in place. I bet on everything I own that R* would be praised for the revolutionary online play (introducing money, not that useless level-up money from GTA IV).

Also, below I mention cash cards. R* are a company and offer a quick way to make money. I don't understand the hate for it. If people are going to buy it, why not make it available? CoD has packs that unlock weapons and people buy that. Be grateful R* doesn't offer a "unlock jet for personal use" DLC.

I feel R* could of done things better. I feel their gaming legitimacy is down quite a lot as they're now mainstream and accommodating too many type of people (non-gamers, kids, hackers). They're too much in the spotlight. I remember R* as those that don't show up to E3 and other events as they're too cool for it. Now I imagine them sitting at the same table as EA with cash cards as the center bouquet.

cuti8tushu

They're going down hill lol

GR Choke

nah they still lick dick

jackjoejim

MTV - American Idol - Call of Duty - Gta Online - Twerking. These would be things to avoid.

Legate Meridius

The crew and I had about an hour long battle over it the other day lol

That battle was really fun though :p

The only change in opinion I've had about R* is to not expect much and be surprised when something good is released.

luisniko

Since the day Rockstar taking down gta5 leaked footage and called them 'fake', to be precise.