Is this a cheat/glitch/exploit/bug?

A friend of mine told me on GTA V Online:

friend: "I am glitching my way up to level 60, but be careful you don't fall off the roof."
me: "Why?"
friend: "This way I get my XP without the cops on me. So you can't call this a glitch."

Being a software developer myself, I know that anything out of the accepted, tested and verified use case collection is known as a defect/bug (which can be troubleshot by various types of testing; use case testing, system (integration) testing, etc).

Of course - on a side note - a couple of examples of bugs/defects are:

-The system behaves differently than the specifications
-The system does less than the specifications
-The system does more than the specifications
-> In other words: the system behaves outside of the specifications scope
These can be functional problems and non-functional problems.

Defects are fine (you can't test everything), but if someone exploits them, then that would be known as unfair advantage/cheating.

So, technically I disagree with him.

So I have the following questions:

1) Is what he described doing a glitch/cheating way/exploit/bug?

2) Could he get banned from GTA Online for doing this? Of course, bans occur with new GTA updates.

3) What is the name of this glitch (assuming this is a specific one)?

4) Is he technically wrong about his statement?

I didn't ask him yet how he did this particular 'trick'.

In my logical reasoning, earning XP while idling is pretty much unfair advantage/cheating. It could not possibly be fair/within system specifications to get a continuous stream of XP while idling - correct me if I'm wrong.

I am a very honest and fair person and I very much dislike people who get things the dishonest way.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and answers. :-)

Edited by 115566

Grumpy-Goat-

He is using a rubber band method on his controller where he can level up while being AFK. It's a massive waste of time and take forever. He's better off playing the game. There are threads in the guide section about it. It's. It really a glitch, just an idling method of gaining piddly amounts of RP.

Isn't he, technically, exploiting a glitch?

Losing then instantly gaining wanted stars sounds like a glitch. Standing in the area hes standing is exploiting that glitch. AFK while rubberbanded is further taking advantage of it.

To do something similar, but legitimately, gain wanted stars and keep them for extended periods of time. That way you can still earn incremental RP every minute or so while not feeling dirty about it. It's not AFK and its completely within bounds.

Arrows to Athens

Losing then instantly gaining wanted stars sounds like a glitch. Standing in the area hes standing is exploiting that glitch. AFK while rubberbanded is further taking advantage of it.

To do something similar, but legitimately, gain wanted stars and keep them for extended periods of time. That way you can still earn incremental RP every minute or so while not feeling dirty about it. It's not AFK and its completely within bounds.

It's not a design flaw. The cops can't find you because your on the roof. Plus there are no helicopters to search for you. Then when you lose the cops your still in the impound lot and you will automatically get wanted stars again. It's been programmed by Rockstar to do that. The AFK method is nothing more of a method. Nothing wrong about that.

Rather pointless way to try to level up, and if he is doing it in a public lobby rather stupid. Too many players who would take advantage of an AFK player to pad a sad K/D ratio. I usually would not, but if I saw somebody in that location I would probably make an exception.

It's not a design flaw. The cops can't find you because your on the roof. Plus there are no helicopters to search for you. Then when you lose the cops your still in the impound lot and you will automatically get wanted stars again. It's been programmed by Rockstar to do that. The AFK method is nothing more of a method. Nothing wrong about that.

The way it used to work was, getting in the impound lot, get 2 stars, get on the roof, lose wanted level, wanted level stays gone.

Something has changed to constantly give, then allow you to lose 2 stars and you're saying that there isn't a flaw in the design?

The method is to exploit the designed AI logic, whether you want to "believe" there is a flaw or not is up to you.

But there are people who don't "believe" in dinosaurs or that the world is round...

A simpler solution would be to give that person 3 stars and bring in a chopper to prevent the loss of stars.

Edited by dvntsvnt

Arrows to Athens

The way it used to work was, getting in the impound lot, get 2 stars, get on the roof, lose wanted level, wanted level stays gone.

Something has changed to constantly give, then allow you to lose 2 stars and you're saying that there isn't a flaw in the design?

The method is to exploit the designed AI logic, whether you want to "believe" there is a flaw or not is up to you.

But there are people who don't "believe" in dinosaurs or that the world is round...

Your last statement about world being round is irrelevant to this topic. i know you're trying to play smart with me but it ain't gonna work. You lose wanted stars because cops can't find you. After you lose the cops you will get cops again because your are STILL in the impound lot. Then it becomes an on going chain. If you do not embrace this method of RP or think it is a poor method then nobody else cares. We have lives and we can't just sit on a video game and constantly grind. We need sleep, food and water.

If someone wants to AFK to get RP over night then let them. They need to sleep.

Your last statement about world being round is irrelevant to this topic. i know you're trying to play smart with me but it ain't gonna work. You lose wanted stars because cops can't find you. After you lose the cops you will get cops again because your are STILL in the impound lot. Then it becomes an on going chain. If you do not embrace this method of RP or think it is a poor method then nobody else cares. We have lives and we can't just sit on a video game and constantly grind. We need sleep, food and water.

My last 2nd to last statement was about what you may or may not believe to be fact.

My first statement was how the impound lot police response used to function.

My last statement was how Rockstar could fix the problem.

I don't think a single one of my statements mentioned whether I did or did not embrace the method, nor if i did or did not think it was a poor method to obtain RP. And absolutely none of my statements denied anybody of any basic human rights, I'm not sure where you got that from.

I was answering the OP in a civil manner.

Thank you for being civil and rational, dvntsvnt - many people are not.

Knowing truths and logic depends on your education and I commend you for your clear thinking. :)

It is quite ironic when people get put in their place they start calling others names. It is a simple expression of their insecurity - I would not bother with it.

You have enough proof when you see people write incorrectly - it says enough about them.

Notice the mature manner in which person A rejects any argument or truth X when person B's arguments fall outside of his scope. This is another sign of how these people really are.

Arrows to Athens

My last 2nd to last statement was about what you may or may not believe to be fact.

My first statement was how the impound lot police response used to function.

My last statement was how Rockstar could fix the problem.

I don't think a single one of my statements mentioned whether I did or did not embrace the method, nor if i did or did not think it was a poor method to obtain RP. And absolutely none of my statements denied anybody of any basic human rights, I'm not sure where you got that from.

I was answering the OP in a civil manner.

Your encouraging a non-AFK RP method while discrediting the easier AFK route. You know what nvm.

Thank you for being civil and rational, dvntsvnt - many people are not.

Knowing truths and logic depends on your education and I commend you for your clear thinking. :)

It is quite ironic when people get put in their place they start calling others names. It is a simple expression of their insecurity - I would not bother with it.

You have enough proof when you see people write incorrectly - it says enough about them.

Notice the mature manner in which person A rejects any argument or truth X when person B's arguments fall outside of his scope. This is another sign of how these people really are.

Who's name calling?

Actively engaging in police resistance, to gain additional RP during extended wanted level duration? i.e., playing the game

I encourage that muchly. And you're right, nevermind, who does that?

HhYuo35.png

Edited by dvntsvnt

I am glad I am one of the people out there who is fair and honest.

You 2 speak so intelligently. It's a shame the people you are dazzling with your intellect and chivalry just plain don't give a damn. Btw. No glitch. No exploit. The impound rp slow grind takes advantage of the games logic. The only exception is the addition of a rubber band on the thumbstick disabling the idle timer. This affects no one but the individual and presents no disadvantage to any lobby as it is done in invite only. I look at it as an opportunity. Wish I knew about it. Looking it up on YouTube it can gain 10 ranks letting it sit overnight.

Crawdaddy Deluxe

It's dumb. It EXPLOITS the game's logic by defaulty giving you cops for being in the impound lot, and by placing yourself in a spot where the cops cant get or see you and by keeping your phone up so it doesnt kick you for idling. Not a bug or glitch. It's just for lazy children. You'd level faster by just playing the game and doing a few missions. Can he get banned for using it? Probably not because you cant make any significant/suspicious/unnatural-looking progress using this method. This is the EXPLOIT:

Edited by KronicKapture

Actually. It's brilliant. One can play the game as normal gaining RP. Done for the night. Use this EXPLOIT and a day later you are 10 ranks up. Who gives a sh*t? How does it hurt anyone or anything. God damn whistle blowers. People like you are the reason...insert any idiocy here...

• Like 1

As someone who's tried it (me) if you leave your ps3 on over night and do it you can gain some 5 to 10 levels while sleeping. As for the OP I think it's just a design flaw as someone stated above. Do I think R* will fix it, yes I do by just putting an officer up there, and some steps to the roof.

It's dumb. It EXPLOITS the game's logic by defaulty giving you cops for being in the impound lot, and by placing yourself in a spot where the cops cant get or see you and by keeping your phone up so it doesnt kick you for idling. Not a bug or glitch. It's just for lazy children. You'd level faster by just playing the game and doing a few missions. Can he get banned for using it? Probably not because you cant make any significant/suspicious/unnatural-looking progress using this method. This is the EXPLOIT:

Thanks man. :-)

Hahaha, I just had a good laugh hearing the video's intro voice - a kid. Oh, how typical.

Edited by 115566

All right, with this information I am going to start a project of tracking down all these exploits and reporting them to Rockstar request tickets so that they remove these with the next update. That will teach the unfair troglodytes a lesson. Marginality will not be allowed! Zero tolerance for deviators! Justice shall prevail! :-)

Scale_of_justice_2_new.jpeg

Edited by 115566

He is using a rubber band method on his controller where he can level up while being AFK. It's a massive waste of time and take forever. He's better off playing the game. There are threads in the guide section about it. It's. It really a glitch, just an idling method of gaining piddly amounts of RP.

You've obviously not tried it. I do it most nights while I sleep or when I'm out doing other things and I'm Rank 137 and my new account is less than 2 weeks old. I average 7-8 levels each time I do it and with double RP I'm gaining 14-20 levels each time. It's simple and easy.

Grumpy-Goat-

You've obviously not tried it. I do it most nights while I sleep or when I'm out doing other things and I'm Rank 137 and my new account is less than 2 weeks old. I average 7-8 levels each time I do it and with double RP I'm gaining 14-20 levels each time. It's simple and easy.

No I have not. and I'm not saying it isn't easy... but is is lazy and a waste of time. I'm saying if you just play the game you level up even faster. How about that? If you guys wanna be lazy and risk letting your console over heat than fine by me. Not my problem. I'd rather play some missions and races for 2 hours and get the same results and then some. The people that do this in my experience are the free-roam warriors, then when they roll up on me with their inflated levels and get trounced I chuckle softly just enough so they can hear me in their kill feed.

Consoles have fans and overheat sensors that auto shutoff. Technology :D

• Like 2

Fail_At_GTA

Its an exploit, as you're exploiting a game mechanic, which isn't really against a rule. This doesn't give you an unfair advantage as someone could just do RR and get your hourly RP in a few minutes. If I'm not busy I put my lower level character on that roof and just AFK for a bit, get a level or two while I do something irl, its not a big deal as it takes ages for a single level up. You wont get banned for something so useless, so don't worry.

when they roll up on me with their inflated levels and get trounced I chuckle softly just enough so they can hear me in their kill feed.

Haha! Good one.

If they don't feel like doing a ton of missions to increase their virtual numbers, but rather take advantage of a design flaw left in the game by Rockstar while living their lives, is ideal, in my eyes. They bought the game, they're not hurting anyone else, let them do as they please.

As for some of you, yes, it may be more legitimate to "earn" your virtual numbers, but at the end of a day, how do got them doesn't represent as well as how much you actually enjoyed getting them.

A couple years from now, when servers go down due to GTA XII or GTA <subtitle> is released, or GTA Online's playerbase has went down to just a couple thousand, those virtual numbers that you spent hours playing to make will mean nothing. They will be remembered by no one. It'll be data lost forever.

Memories, however, are not. So if OP's friend wants to level up enough where he can have a blast playing, let him.

Edited by igotskiz
  • Like 1

The first thing to consider is the rules of this game formulated by Rockstar. Opinions are interesting to debate but are not rules. How is this trick defined by the official game rules?

Imo the rubber band is the deciding factor . The rubber band added to the controller makes it a modified controller. The question then is does the official rules of gtao forbid modified controllers and if so does a rubber band added to a controller be defined by those rules as being a modified controller.

Edited by jazzbone

hornedturtle

it's not so much a problem with the controller as it is more of an abuse of the ai. sort of a softer version of how in WoW a guild found a way to kill arthas because blizzard forgot to add a resistance to the boss which allowed for him to be stunned. the guild got a 48hour ban and the world first achievement removed.

it is knowingly exploiting the system that is the grey area and is handled differently depending on the developer.

I highly doubt rockstar will take action though.