Has the internet killed the DVD rental stores?

ArcadeWilliamz

ArcadeWilliamz

Since you can now rent movies & TV Shows on your tablet, smart phone & PC so there's the question again has the internet killed the DVD rental stores?

Mr. Scratch

That's the case where I live sadly. I miss those places.

Dvd rental stores are still everywhere over here and very popular. I know of 5 nearby, although these days I only rent movies on my tv.

I don't think rental stores will ever go away in my country.

utf-8Bb2xkc2Nob29sc2lnczE2YS5qcGc_zpsf59

Netflix and Redbox killed Movie/Game rental store in my region. It's just way more easier and convienant.

WUDSnYa.png

They're all but dead here. The only place you can get a DVD to rent is from a Red Box.

But, don't mourn. It's progress. Books killed storytellers. Radio killed books. Movies and TV killed radio. Digital media killed movies, TV, music, and then dug up the corpses of radio and print media and killed them again.

But we have all of this: Movies, TV, music, radio, books, newspapers, all the knowledge of all the encyclopedias in the world and even things that never existed before. And it's all in our pockets.

Edited by darthYENIK
  • Like 1

Mr. Scratch

So the question is, what's next? I mean we've gotten to this so far.

It is in my city.Those places are long gone by now. It is kinda sad,I knewed a lot of people who worked in those places and now most of them are working on ever worse places.

To a degree. I think there's that, and the fact that around here, you can buy pre-owned copies of most older or less well known movies for between £1 and £4 on DVD anyway. Renting is far from dead, here, but instead of there being rental stores, most of it is done at local libraries. I remember a colleague commenting that 'we' pretty much accounted for the fact that rental stores died out around here. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I work for the library service and love it. I also don't think that libraries offering rentals on DVDs, CDs and video games was ever a bad idea, and I don't think it's as limited a service as people admittedly think. The cost is way cheaper than I remember it being at rental stores, although admittedly, I've never used Blockbuster all that much as my dad resented (and still does) the idea of having to pay for the movies he watches. But from our local store, it was definitely cheaper, and I'd rather pay £2.10 to rent a DVD for a week than £4 for 2 nights.

There's a good selection of titles available, too, which does vary from library to library but is offset by the fact that titles from other libraries can be ordered in at no extra cost to rent for the week. The Millennium Library (which is basically the 'central' library, and based in a University city to boot) has what I'd consider a pretty impressive range of more mainstream and lesser known titles. Although, granted, it doesn't cover absolutely everything, and there are titles I've been unable to get ahold of, but taking into consideration the way stock and ordering stock works, it's impossible for this to be the case. 99.9% of the time, though, even the more obscure titles are floating around within the service. At my local store, it was very much a case of new movies only, and only the widely released ones.

I'm probably biased, being as I work in the service. And I do feel for the people who lost their jobs through the death of the rental stores, absolutely - stores are constantly pulling out of the town I work in, so the job market is a sham and the local economy is dying a painful death. The library is the only thing I know close to a rental service, but the funny thing is, especially on Friday and Saturdays due to 2 for 1 offers, just as many of our 'issues' are AV items as they are books, if not even more so, so that says, to me, that people do still want AV rentals and do still use that service. It's particularly on the newer titles, since we get those as soon as they're released (to be displayed for loan the following Monday), but there's still a calling there for the service. And, at the end of the day, I can still rent DVDs if I want to.

As for On Demand services: again, my experience with them isn't great, I use BT Vision, which is ... odd, to say the least. They're inconsistent with the titles you pay for and the titles you don't pay for. As in, I could watch Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, From Dusk 'Til Dawn and Sin City right now, for free, as many times as I want to, but I have to pay £2.50 to download and watch Reservoir Dogs for 2 nights. 1. I could rent it from work for £2.10 for a week if I wanted and 2. I bought it for £1.50 on DVD already. So, yeah. Again, newer titles are £4 for 1 or 2 nights. To me, it just doesn't compare. That, and I like having all my 'loans' under one umbrella - fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, DVDs, CDs, games, everything.

yeah pretty much where i live too

LQayY8P.jpg

SimsDaniel916

Six years ago, I had four movie/game rental stores within five minutes of were I live and every single one of them have closed down sadly.

vfMenzx.jpg