Noob to GTA

Snidefarthing

Snidefarthing

Hey, just got this game for my PS3. Never played GTA ever. Total newbie so go easy on me. How the heck do you play this game? What's it all about? What's the point? And worse why is it so hard to drive? Is there a setting to make it easier to drive? I'm just starting and have no idea what to do. Had to skip the first race, couldn't control the car.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Please take time to read the GTA V game guide here: http://www.gtav.net/info/

Thanks

hornedturtle

for the first race in single player get the car that is not closest to you. it is easier to control. you will eventually get used to it.

Snidefarthing

for the first race in single player get the car that is not closest to you. it is easier to control. you will eventually get used to it.

Thanks, but I already skipped that when it allowed me to. That link posted above is good but it still doesn't give me any information I need like can you adjust the driving sensitivity on the PS3? I looked but couldn't find a menu to do that.

The manual is skimpy at best. It doesn't tell me the point of this game. I'm totally lost.

hornedturtle

are you new to gaming? the point of the game is to do missions and kill hookers.

ps. everyone is a hooker

play the game. pay attention to the text popups. it will tell you how to play.

Snidefarthing

are you new to gaming? the point of the game is to do missions and kill hookers.

ps. everyone is a hooker

play the game. pay attention to the text popups. it will tell you how to play.

No, not new to gaming. Played too many to list. Just new to the GTA franchise. I liked Rockstar's Red Dead and this game is similar in that if you kill a civilian the cops will come after you.

It's difficult to pay attention to the text because it's only on the screen for a few seconds and a lot of other stuff is happening.

I guess I'll just have to keep on playing till I "get it".

It looks like it's a HUGE game.

Is it linear like I HAVE to play as Franklin and not Michael or that other crazy dude first? What's this app they're talking about in-game too, the one called iFruit or something to train a dog? Is that in-game or for real like for my iPhone?

hornedturtle

you unlock the other characters threw missions

press start and go across to info to find the tips you missed.

ifruit is a phone app for android/ios. so yes. real life phone.

Well for one you have to play the missions to understand the situation of the base-plot to this game. Because its an openworld sandbox, things will change as the storyline goes. As you know missions are marked in the mini map/radar to the left corner. What mission are you on? Where are you? Do you know the characters? Do you know ANYTHING? Keep us updated

Snidefarthing

Well, thanks for all your help people. I appreciate it.

I'll look for that iPhone app.

Okay, I didn't know I had to unlock other guys from doing missions.

Right now the mission I'm on consists simply of getting a haircut! Just a haircut?? Well, ok, I'll try to get a haircut. Funny kind of mission...

I don't know anything, not one thing.

I have never been exposed to GTA. Bought it just for the heck of it. Been playing other games like Skyrim, Crysis, Borderlands 2 (A LOT), Rage, Mass Effect 1,2,3, Dishonored, I'm REAL particular about what I play. I despise platformer games. I also don't like driving games and this one looks like there's a lot of it. When I looked at some YT's before I bought it it looked like a lot of heists and other crazy stuff but I didn't know there'd be so much driving as I HATE driving. That's why I'm so desperate for someone to tell me how if possible to adjust the sensitivity because for me it's WAY to sensitive to drive. I'm ALL over the road.

Snidefarthing

o-m-g

What's with the omg? What's the big deal? Just because I never played this game? You had to start somewhere too you know. I come here asking information and get an "omg"? Dude, lighten up, it's a freaking game.

don ovdi' island

Relax.. don't take things to heart.

The game has a lot of driving. (As the games title would suggest) It's a sandbox game, its got a linear story but it's not like Call of Duty where it's just mission after mission and what not.

There is no way to adjust the driving mechanic. if you are having a difficult time i suggest slowing down in corners and using the hand brake. The police are ultra aggressive in this game, like a small military force, so until you get the hang of it, try not to piss them off too bad

when you die you lose money, if you get arrested you lose your guns and ammo.

You can customize and store cars at franklins garage.

Edited by dreaded_verse

Snidefarthing

Relax.. don't take things to heart.

The game has a lot of driving. (As the games title would suggest) It's a sandbox game, its got a linear story but it's not like Call of Duty where it's just mission after mission and what not.

Not a problem, I'm just used to FPS's. Played Red Dead and loved it. Just have to reconfigure my thinking. The only reason I came here was because the crappy "manual" is so sparse.

don ovdi' island

Yep red dead was great. This game is kinda like a modern red dead, with cars and stuff. Like red dead you can kinda choose to be good or bad (Just on the way you play the game, there is no hero/villian tracker)

TheGoodSgtScooter

As the Mayor of Paleto Bay, welcome!

• Like 2

If and when you play online, I can help you make money in order to buy guns and stuff, psn:basketball_kid41

Snidefarthing

If and when you play online, I can help you make money in order to buy guns and stuff, psn:basketball_kid41

Thanks for the welcome.

I have never played any game online. I always play solo. But I'll have to take you up on your offer as soon as I get further into the game. Thanks.

Be sure to download GTAV: The Manual at http://www.rockstargames.com/V/downloads, it'll give you all the instructions you need to getting started.

Yeah, got that already but it still doesn't tell me much that I really need to know.

Snidefarthing

I have a question about saving and restoring a game.

How do I do it? For example, last night I played Daddy's Little Girl and just before Michael was supposed to jump in the water I wanted to crash out. So I brought up the phone and hit save.

Then I quit.

Now when I run the game I can't get back to Daddy's Little Girl.

How do I get back to it?

It doesn't show in my recent game saves.

If I go to Michael's house it wants me to start Marriage Counseling.

Can anyone clue me in on how to save and reload?

don ovdi' island

Not sure what you're asking, but you cannot save progress mid-mission (AFAIK) If you did it's probably null and when you reboot the game it will probably take you to the last save you made before you tried to save in a mission.

How are you liking the game so far?

Snidefarthing

Not sure what you're asking, but you cannot save progress mid-mission (AFAIK) If you did it's probably null and when you reboot the game it will probably take you to the last save you made before you tried to save in a mission.

Thanks, I discovered just what you describe. I had to just restart the mission.

How am I liking it? It's awesome with the cheats and I love blowing things up with the rocket launcher.

Just been testing the limits of the game like jumping off bridges, diving under water, killing everyone and anyone, pushing it to it's limits. So far you can pretty much wreak as much havoc as you want. Most of my money has spent on hospitals LOL!

Just tried dabbling in the stock market, will have to look at some YT's on how to use that.

Flying is the best part of the game.

I love totally disregarding traffic lights, pedestrians, being a complete and total di*k to everyone.

I can't believe Rockstar made such a violent game. I mean this is one REALLY violent game.

I wish you could go in more buildings.

I wish I had the time to get to know the whole city but it seems like it would take a real lifetime just to explore it on foot or even motorcycle.

I don't really care about customizations, not in any game so that's no big deal. If a car gest too wrecked I just grab another one.

It just seems like it's TOO big, I mean there's a million places to go and things to do and I haven't even unlocked golf yet.

So yeah, I'm lovin it.

don ovdi' island

Thanks, I discovered just what you describe. I had to just restart the mission.

How am I liking it? It's awesome with the cheats and I love blowing things up with the rocket launcher.

Just been testing the limits of the game like jumping off bridges, diving under water, killing everyone and anyone, pushing it to it's limits. So far you can pretty much wreak as much havoc as you want. Most of my money has spent on hospitals LOL!

Just tried dabbling in the stock market, will have to look at some YT's on how to use that.

Flying is the best part of the game.

I love totally disregarding traffic lights, pedestrians, being a complete and total di*k to everyone.

I can't believe Rockstar made such a violent game. I mean this is one REALLY violent game.

I wish you could go in more buildings.

I wish I had the time to get to know the whole city but it seems like it would take a real lifetime just to explore it on foot or even motorcycle.

I don't really care about customizations, not in any game so that's no big deal. If a car gest too wrecked I just grab another one.

It just seems like it's TOO big, I mean there's a million places to go and things to do and I haven't even unlocked golf yet.

So yeah, I'm lovin it.

Cool! GTA has always been my favorite game, as I'm not really much of a gamer myself but i love this series.

-As far as violence goes, yeah, it's pretty violent. Not a game for the kiddies, and in terms of realism when it comes to the way that things look, this is the most realistic yet. (police cars actually look like real cops, etc; the whole world does look pretty "real") I think older GTA's may have been a bit more violent tho. I remember GTA: Vice City was the first grand theft auto game i had, and you could chop peoples heads off with a katana and stuff like that. In GTA: San Andreas, you could steal a combine harvester and run people over with it and their body would come out the back as a bits of blood bone & flesh. Also when you ran over peds you could hear their bones cracking and crushing under the weight of the car. It's violent, but not the most violent. I think older GTA's graphics weren't so good therefore the violence wasn't really as crisp.

-Interiors ARE lacking in this game, people suggest tho that the reason for that is that many buildings will be opened for DLC or on current gen consoles. Im not so sure about that tho. They do have some "hidden" interiors so to speak, such as various stores and places you can actually enter but are not marked on the map.

-I'm pretty much the same, I'm less interested in the story in this installment of GTA and spend most of my single player experience causing chaos, pissing off cops, interacting with NPC's, stealing boats/aircraft, and getting into shootouts on gang/hostile territories.

If you like this game, you might like the one that came out before it, GTA:IV , which to me has a very interesting and gritty story to it. Just a suggestion for the future. Right now tho keep enjoying GTA5, have any more ?'s come n ask.

CarlitoDorito

Its so hard to drive! And fly, walking is just as hard as the driving. You can complete missions, there's a few. You can ride a ferris wheel! There's guns and cars, bikes and mountains. After completing the missions, you can continue playing it, an imagination may be required if you intend on seeing what you can do. Thats about it.

EditingYourMouth

Hey, just got this game for my PS3. Never played GTA ever. Total newbie so go easy on me. How the heck do you play this game? What's it all about? What's the point? And worse why is it so hard to drive? Is there a setting to make it easier to drive? I'm just starting and have no idea what to do. Had to skip the first race, couldn't control the car.

Of Course you can't control the car, the developers lost their sense of realism.

Snidefarthing

Of Course you can't control the car, the developers lost their sense of realism.Is that sarc? Personally I find the motorcycles easy. The cars are way too hard to drive and the stick sensitivity is way too high. I wish there was a way to damp it down a bit.

Otherwise I like the game so far. But a lot of the times I have to skip after the third time or I could always make the PS3 controller an integral part of my wall buried deep in sheetrock...

EditingYourMouth

Play a real man's game, GTA Chinatown, GTA V is pussy play, no challenge in that damned game.

Edited by EditingYourMouth

Snidefarthing

Play a real man's game, GTA Chinatown, GTA V is pussy play, no challenge in that damned game.

Personally I like FPS's. Just thought I'd try this, it's okay but not really my favorite type of game. I'll finish it and back it goes to Gamestop...