Is anyone on here a parent?

Zombich_

Ive got 2 teen age girls and have been a gamer their whole life. I get a lot of flack ("He's always playing games"), but the truth is I play at night after all my real life work is done. Its no different than playing an instrument (which I practice far more than I game!) or doing some other hobby. Its a hell of a lot better than sitting watching some BS TV show for a couple hours or watching some lame movie (that was supposed to be good). When you game you keep your senses sharp, brain active and if you use the game right, you can learn many things from gaming (patience being the most important lesson). Both my kids are avid gamers and even my wife will break down and grab a controller.

Whats funny about this thread is that the girl saying "When you get older you put the controller down", probably has more time logged into Candy Crush or some other phone game than the OP does in GTA. People are stupid and 99% are pure hypocrite. I ask em what they do to pass the time and then laugh at em when they say watch TV.

• Like 6

haitisfinest1

I still have my Atari 2600 with faux wood bezel in my living room. I'm 40 now, and GTA V Online is the game I dreamed about since I was a kid. My son is 11 and the first video game he ever played was GTA III, when he was a mere 3 year old. He hates the online version of the latest installment, which is fine by me, sinve I find the members of an average lobby more vulgar and dirty than anything in the game itself.

• Like 2

Butterfly57

I'm a mother who loves to play video games. And very happy I am too.

My son thinks it is perfectly normal (we often play many games together), his friends probably think im odd but most are cool (and amazed) with it and the other parents are befuddled at it (especially when they find out id sooner play gta than a sing a long a dance party type games).

Gaming is just an entertainment medium like movies or TV at the end of the day. We don't give up on those once we reach parenthood, so no reason to give up on gaming. The only real difference is there perhaps isn't as much time to play as there was pre kids.

other way round for me, i was never into gaming as a teenager or into my 20s, im now 31 yrs old with 2 kids, and i play the consol (ps3) as often as i can around work and family life

clearly these come first and always will, but hitting gta for a few hours, and even coming onto this forum, its escapism

by the way, my 9 yr old daughter has an xbox and a wii

Dr.Rosenthal

Not a parent, but I don't think that'll make a difference for me. Been playing games my whole life so to me it's just another hobby like instruments, sports, knitting or whatever.. and I'm going to be 30 next year.

It's not a waste of time more than anything else is. But of course variety is the spice of life and I don't play 24/7, in part because it would honestly be unhealthy and also, too much of anything will ruin the fun.

My dad doesn't necessarily play GTA, but he does play some other stuff. Mainly Starcraft II, and on the occasion he'll play some League of Legends with me. I've tried getting him to play GTA or COD, but he gets dizzy so we don't do that.

When I'm a parent, I can say no way, I am not putting down the controller. I will let the kids do their own thing, and I'll be indoors playing GTA VIII.

Edited by Zidnex

Grumpy-Goat-

I'm going to be a dad in January. I've wondered about if I'll still have time to be playing video games. I hope so. No plans on stopping.

-my daughter is 4 months old. You will not have as much time for sure, but trust me you will need the "escape" and try to make time for something you enjoy. When I'm home and my daughter is napping.. it's game time baby! Sometimes I'm lucky and get a good 3 hour session in. The second she wakes up, I shut down the system and attend to her like the loving doting father I am.

We babysit my niece and nephew 5x a week. The boy is 5. All he wants to do is play video games. His dad lets him play all he wants at his house, which weekends only. His dad also let's him play GTA, Mortal Kombat, etc etc. I think that's really bad but I won't tell another man how to raise his kids. But when he's at my house, at most I'll let him play once a week, and only for a short time. And I only let him play Sonic. That's the only kids game I own.

-Give that kid a stick and tell him to go outside and not come back until he scraped his knee.

My dad hated/hates video games. I never owned a system until I was 20. He thinks it's a complete waste of time. I tell him that if you watch tv or movies, you're a hipocrate. All of the guys on the construction crew I work with think video games are only for kids. One guy I work with spends every weekend drinking beer from waking up until going to sleep and watching movies all day. But I'm the one wasting my time.

-Yeah there is a whole discussion and argument there that I have taken part of on many occasions. Some folks are different and just don't get it. I have come to the conclusion it's because they can' t handle games, it's intimidating to them, and they can't relax with it. Which is fine. I always feel chilled out after a good session and I've been interacting and engaged instead of mindlessly staring at a screen for two hours. It's a personal choice and people need to not judge and be hypocrites.

I started playing video games with a Magnavox Odessey,

my brother and I networked 2 PC's to play Duke Nukem in the early 90's.

now I play GTAO with my son all the time.

When the kids were young gaming suffered, but now that their all out on their own I have plenty of time to play.

Edited by jcph3

I'm a parent of a 2nahalf year old and a 10 mo. Old. The 2 year old just wants me to drive around and look for trucks. Then wants me to smash cars with the truck. The 10 mo. Old wants to eat my controller and f*ck me up trying to drive. But no hell f*ck no will I ever stop gaming. I don't play often. But when I do. I play gta.

For the parents with impressionable kids. If they are around. Play the game on mute. Or just race until they have left the room.

Edited by RajunKjun

I play all night when kid is asleep. Kid sleeps during the day too. Plenty of time to game. Plus, it keeps me sane, gives me a good break.

• Like 2

Grumpy-Goat-

For the parents with impressionable kids. If they are around. Play the game on mute. Or just race until they have left the room.

All kids are impressionable, as are most adults. Playing a game on mute does not stop visual stimulation and imagery, a majority of which in GTA kids have no business seeing. Sure you can say "it's all about how you play the game," and don't take this as me telling you have to handle the raising of your kids it is not. All I'm saying is kids are always impressionable, and pick up on things we sometimes feel is trivial. Then we are left wondering "where did they pick that up?"

I play all night when kid is asleep. Kid sleeps during the day too. Plenty of time to game. Plus, it keeps me sane, gives me a good break.

This is what I do during the day. Kid sleeps, I unwind with some game time. When she is up she has my undivided attention, it's what she deserves.

I'm a dad of a 16 and 21 year old. Both my daughters play games on Xbox, but neither one of them play GTA.

Playstation_Pan

I'm going to be a dad in January. I've wondered about if I'll still have time to be playing video games. I hope so. No plans on stopping.

My youngest is 9 weeks old atm, this has not stopped me from picking up the sticks in the evening hours after everyone else has gone to sleep. You may not have as much free time to play once you have a baby but to say you never have time is far from true.

I think the important thing to remember as a parent who loves playing games is to remember to spend time with your children and only play in those down times you get. As far as my kids playing GTA goes, I think, like anything you do as a parent, you need to monitor what your children are exposed to. My kids love to drive the cars, jet ski's, helicopters, ect. in GTA. My youngest will dress the toon up in beach gear and go swimming or ride the rollercoaster/ferris wheel. Letting your child freeroam on GTA is what I have a problem with; that and having the sound on, the language is way too inappropriate for that. I also will not let my kids play online, as there is no need because they don't get to shoot the guns nor do they need to be shot at.

One of the funnest things my 7yr old and I love doing his picking up cars with the cargobob and placing them in funny places, she loves it!

Edited by PS3_Pan

Next time someone tells you to put the controller down, ask them if they stopped reading, facebooking, tweeting, and watching t.v. or youtube after having kids. Games are entertainment, if someone prefers gaming, game on. Christ, of all the things that people should stop after having kids they want to pick at games.

To answer your question, yes I have 3 kids. We all play together. I think that it is much healthier than me doing something else without them. There is more than enough neglectful alcoholic parents that shove their kids aside to go drinking, maybe they should go after those people.

• 3 weeks later...
xX_HailHydra_Xx

im 18 and i plan on playing video games for a long time. My dad always hated video games, he tried them many times but could never play them correctly so he just gave up. I didn't play gta until i was 17 and i personally don't agree with kids playing gta if they are underaged. I wouldn't let my kids play gta until they are at least 17. Don't use video games as an excuse to my dad or he'll get p*ssed off badly.

I'm 43 and I have 4 step kids. The funny thing is both of the boys are in the games industry, the youngest has just finished uni whrre he got a 1st in Games design, and is now job hunting. The eldest worked for EA for a while as a games tester, and arooga writing Facebook games. One of which he designed involves droping a squishy seal to bounce around a level eating donuts, and as he does he gets bigger and bigger. Christmas used to involve massive ut deathmatches.. with all the family

I'm a mom of two and play almost daily. Usually at nap time. My older daughter (5) loves to play the Wii and the other is a baby. So yeah, when housework and the like are done, I play GTA or some other game depending on the modder forecast. My husband plays in the evenings after work and sometimes really early before work. We're just a gaming family.

I'm a single dad with an 8 year old. We game together. Not GTA of course but usually Minecraft and a few other age appropriate things. She also races RC cars with me. Growing older doesn't mean you have to "grow up".

RavingWithJesus

A few of my friends are parents, and play games like GTA a lot (not all the time obviously they don't neglect their kids at all, but they have time to play them a lot). They're great parents in my opinion, they take great care of their kids and just use some of their free time to play Xbox/Playstation or whatever. Whoever mentioned if you take quality care of your kids, it's totally fine to play games like GTA in your spare time is absolutely right (I'm just going off friends, siblings of friends, relatives, etc., since I don't have kids of my own). Nobody should limit themselves from having some fun just because you're a parent or older or whatever.

GreyleafGamer

I'll give you my controller when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Yes, I'm a parent and as long as gaming doesn't interfere with real life....game on!

• Like 1

Interesting that that common expression 'grow up and stop playing computer games' may have applied when games were simple, more childlike things - but these days they are a blossoming media that can be more engaging, educational and compelling than any film.

Having a kid in fact made my gaming time grow, because as a new dad you need to be at home not outside getting razmajazzled, and I have already watched all the films on earth and there's not enough Gold Rush episodes to fill the time. So when mama and bubba have laid their little heads down, daddy is downstairs tearing the streets of Los Santos up - stealing drugs, chucking money at strippers, robbing convenience stores, rampantly murdering people - and that is how gaming keeps me grounded as a parent.

I've been playing computer/arcade(back in the day) games since Asteroids, Luner Lander etc...

And with a wife and four kids time isn't as freely available as it use to be and the days of sitting there playing games all day has gone.......

but that just means that when the day is done, and the kids are settled, the wife is reading or happy doing things that she likes, that it's my time to do what i want to enjoy myself...

The wife doesn't see at as childish, she says that she enjoys seeing the enjoyment i get from playing, she finds it fascinating how engrossed i get into the game...

At the end of the day it's just a hobby, something i enjoy doing.. Other people like watching soaps on tele, or reading a book, or playing guitar (me too), i enjoy and have done for a long long while, playing computer games... Nothing wrong with that..

Bugs the hell out of me when people get so hung up about adults gaming. I'm a mother of two boys and I say as long as you find the right balance and are being responsible, it doesn't matter. Parents are people too!

Soon as kids go to bed, my husband loads up Battlefield 4 and I load Gta, it's how we unwind at the end of the day. I've stopped telling my friends what I do in the evenings as they all look at me like I'm a massive twat when I say that I game, especially when I play "boy" games *rolls eyes*

I think my mum was actually embarrassed when I was talking to my 15 year old cousin yesterday and discovered that we both played Gta online, purely because I'm almost 30 and a parent.

The whole reason I had kids was so I could send them to fetch beers for me while I game.... and to mow the lawn.

• Like 1

I'm a parent of a young boy and another on the way. I play GTA V while hes asleep. I have no intention of him becoming a gamer. Karate school at age 4 and joining an athletics club is going to be his only fun unfortunately :p