4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Mr Rabbit

UTOPIA

Mr Rabbit

UTOPIA-GIF-001.gif

I am here to tell you about a hidden gem in the TV world. A British TV drama called Utopa that is currently halfway through its second season on channel 4. Many of you might be thinking "I've never heard of this?" then stop, turn around, and find a way to watch it. You can get it on 4oD (even though that site is sh*t) DVD, stream it doesn't matter how, just watch it, the less you know going into it the better, it can only be ruined by anything I have to say.

If you really want to know more before watching it then view this trailer

So join me, and Secura, and many others on this magnificent and insane twisting journey and find out the answer to the most important question of all: Where is Jessica Hyde?

Edited by Flynny

Finite

Season 1 was f*cking amazing, I've got the spoon now Wilson, do you know what I use the spoon for?

Utopia---look-away-now.-010.jpg

Oh and Utopia is possibly the only show I've ever watched with cinematography on level or even above Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, I mean just look at that image below, it's mindbogglingly beautiful isn't it? You could probably take a screenshot of a every frame of film and ninety percent of the time you'd get something that looks absolutely amazing:

tumblr_n7hps7tPDI1r7k0ggo1_500.gif

Edited by Secura

krashr

i've been meaning to get onto this, man i'm so far behind on everything

Finite

Yeah this is definitely the sort of show that you should be making time for, it's fantastic on every level from the superb writing, brilliant characters, outstanding cinematography and the amazing soundtrack, if you only watch one thing this year, it should by all rights be this show.

Edited by Secura

RiaJay21

This has to be one of the best British TV dramas I've watched, by far. And the cinematography is absolutely stunning; I have to admit, this was a huge draw for me back when the first season aired. All the elements combined, though, they're all so spot on, and Utopia never fails to deliver.

So, I was excited to hear it would be back for a second season. Not because the first left me dissatisfied, but it ended on that cliffhanger, and left me wanting to see them expand on the events of season 1.

Which, incidentially, is long overdue a re-watch.

krashr

i shall be making time to watch this evening! =) i read on wiki that david fincher might be directing an american version too..

Finite

The American version both excites and terrifies me, considering that sometimes fantastic British TV gets a US interpretation and it turns out sh*t, other times it turns out fantastic, and HBO is definitely the only US broadcaster I'd trust to do a U.S version of Utopia justice.

In other news I recently found this whilst skimming around on the Internet, it's amazing how impactful just the soundtrack is all on its own:

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

E: For anyone interested the GFX request I filed a few days ago was completed, and now we have a bunch of cool Utopia signatures and avatars to try out!

Edited by Secura

Girish

Hmm... your recommendation has got me interested. I'm going to get hold of the first season.

Finite

Girish a few tips, if you can access 4OD in India I highly recommend you watch the entire first series on that site, seeing as it's all there for free. Now there are a few issues with 4OD that both you and anyone who wants to watch Utopia in HD should note, the first of which being the unfortunate case that 4OD doesn't allow any sort of ad-blocking software and traditionally this wouldn't be a problem, only here it is. Channel 4 has made it so that every time there would normally be a commercial break during the show, it shows actual three to four minute-long advertisements, and these breaks happen every twenty minutes, that's a total of nine minutes per episode spent waiting on advertisements, or in total just shy of an entire football match's worth of commercials.

Luckily I have a solution, a friend of mine recently developed an app for Google Chrome that makes it so that as long as you don't have any ad blockers active whilst using the site, it won't detect the app, and the app will prevent any and all advertisements from appearing during the entire show, the app is constantly being updated so that Channel 4 won't get ahead of it and prevent it from blocking anymore of its ridiculously frequent and tedious advertisement breaks. You can get access to this app here.

Girish

Well, unfortunately, my home internet has a transfer cap so watching shows online is out of the question. But no worries, I've managed to get hold of the first season (not HD though). I'll start watching as soon as I get the time.

Finite

Cool, that's good to hear, let us know what you think of it whenever you've got the time, I often find it interesting to see how people's opinion of Utopia changes the more episodes of it they watch, and due to its slower-paced nature, it's definitely something that's good for just consuming in one sit down rather than having to wait week after week for a new episode to come out.

Dboi 420

I have officially joined you lot on this journey. :D

The first episode was f*cking amazing!

Finite

So S2:E4 came out yesterday, and holy f*ck was it intense.

Spoilers follow don't read until you've seen up to S2:E4

The fact that Carvel actually went so far as to choose, damn that just brings a whole new f*cking level to the manuscript's ghost-cell images, and that scene with Mr Rabbit and Michael was just the most intense thing I've ever watched on the show, at the end of it my jaw was open with excitement and anticipation.

I also have to wonder how on Earth Ian's going to react, I mean, before there was some chance of retribution for Wilson, but now I'm not sure, can you really come back from that? Can you come back and be friends with a man who's done that to you, especially when you know what it's like to lose someone so close to you, yourself? This is due for a rewatch immediately, there are obviously more hidden secrets that I've yet see scattered across the episode and I can't wait to find out what they are.

E5 cannot come soon enough.

Edited by Secura

Mr Rabbit

After a while of being bugged by the other man in yellow to post my impressions of the latest episode I have decided to cave.

It was fantastic.

This episode was, as usual full of game-changing moments. Finding out about Carvel's past was mindblowing, and put his work and his ideas about janus into context, he went as far as to actually choose as well, I wonder who he chose and why. The scene with the Romanian interpreter was f*cking hilarious as well RIP Twatface :cry:

As for Wilson, he is all the way gone now, there was always that chance of redemption, of him doing something like sabotage the Network but after what he did, he is fully integrated into the Network now, and his conversation with the man who is going to "save the world" was chilling, as was the opening scene, to see how deep the belief is within the Network and what they are prepared to do to ensure success is astonishing. The whole scene between Mr rabbit and Jessica also had me on the edge of my seat, I really thought that this was it, but then Jessica finds out something, that in her evidently traumatised state might tip her over the edge, I can't wait to see how she will react.

Last but by no means least, the return of Arbie, the f*cking terminator. He seems to be with the network for now for his family but we can't really guess his actions of intentions, since he broke free of the network he has become less predictable than he was before, to be honest it was not hard, he was basically programmed by the network and his father.

Edited by Flynny

milkmansun

Oh man, this sounds good and still I have not yet dug into whats the plot is..
Gonna watch it for sure.. Thanks for the recommendation..

EDIT: Found out its 4OD dose not stream in my area... SAD

Edited by milkmansun

krashr

wow. right from the word go, this show is insanely good.. better than any idea i had in my head about what it might be and then some! i've now seen all of season 1 and can't speak highly enough about it, thanks for the little push

edit-

the reveal of grant cracked me up and i refuse to believe blue suit guy is dead

Edited by krashr

Mr Rabbit

Oh man, this sounds good and still I have not yet dug into whats the plot is..

Gonna watch it for sure.. Thanks for the recommendation..

EDIT: Found out its 4OD dose not stream in my area... SAD

http://watchseries.lt/serie/Utopia

wow. right from the word go, this show is insanely good.. better than any idea i had in my head about what it might be and then some! i've now seen all of season 1 and can't speak highly enough about it, thanks for the little push

edit-

the reveal of grant cracked me up and i refuse to believe blue suit guy is dead

At the reveal of Grant i was going "yep that's about right for an internet forum"

I cannot help but think about if anything like this would happen with member from GTAF :p

Edited by Flynny

krashr

haha yes, i was already laughing at his responses when benjan is first chatting with him

i'm not going to your house, you might be a rapist hahaha

Finite

Lee is too cool to die, I mean, check the yellow suit dude.

Kirsty

Season 1 is on Netflix so I might give it a whirl, if only because Secura and Flynny don't stop going on about it :p

krashr

getting back on it as soon as i finish work today

milkmansun

Season 1 is on Netflix so I might give it a whirl, if only because Secura and Flynny don't stop going on about it :p

Crap I didn't check there thanks...

krashr

Lee is too cool to die, I mean, check the yellow suit dude.

i wasn't sure if you were just having withdrawals and photoshopped yourself an avatar lol and i didn't look into it because i didn't want to spoil it for myself! he seemed like a cool character. hurry up work gah!!

Edited by krashr

milkmansun

I have checked in Netflix, can't find it? do u have link?

Mr Rabbit

hey, you and secura never stopped going on about getting me in the OGA, Seems to work as a tactic

It is a great show, very under-rated because it is on channel 4 which usually is under the radar, let us hope an american version brings more in and they don't do what they did with Life on Mars and Shameless. I.e. cock it up

Edited by Flynny

Mr Rabbit

watchseries may be a bit naughty, and low quality but my opinion on piracy and piracy related things is this:

"If you cannot get it by normal means, then get a bottle of rum out, get an eye patch and sing yo ho ho"

Edited by Flynny

Finite

I personally just downloaded the entirety of Season 1 off of CloudZilla, it's ripped direct from the Blu-Ray copy though only at 720p, so I still consider my recent purchase of Season 1 on Blu-Ray a worthwhile purchase.

Edited by Secura

Mr Rabbit

Hah, that reminds me of Shaun, a friend of mine who was on the phone to people complaining about 720p and he was promised 1080p and he said "you can't tell the difference?"

krashr

expectations exceeded again.

from what i've seen so far of season 2-

brilliant