Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,150 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

iheartlondon1969

To the people who say play..

iheartlondon1969

This is to the people who say play single player first.. Or if you haven't played single player first you shouldn't play online. If I remember correctly online takes place before sp.. So wouldn't you want to "beat" online first? Then play single player? Just a high thought don't mind me 😎

The7thOne

True, but it's always been a ritual for me when getting games on launch. Beat SP first, then it's straight to MP.

juantrapriguez

You can't beat online

Sir Michael

Nahhh, you see... first, you finish the prologue, then you go into MP, and after you get bored with MP, then go into SP. That's the true chronological order right there. :p

But seriously, play SP first to know the controls. I'm amazed to still see people crashing planes after the fair amount of flying in SP.

dvntsvnt

single player has tons of tutorials for basic gameplay. if you don't want to be bombarded with Learn2Play, you should learn to play where it is less frustrating to learn.

The7thOne

You can't beat online

garyfromscotland

This is to the people who say play single player first.. Or if you haven't played single player first you shouldn't play online. If I remember correctly online takes place before sp.. So wouldn't you want to "beat" online first? Then play single player? Just a high thought don't mind me

Had no option but to play SP when the game first came out but I am glad I did.

I got to appreciate the game for what it is before heading into carnage online - really enjoyed the story line.

Biggie Kaniff

Nothing that happens in online has anything to with singleplayer, and vice versa. So even if online is a couple months before singleplayer it doesnt matter which one you play first.

But I would play sp first to learn the game before heading into online vs other players.

However Lester mentions the online character in the story, he says that the online char is unpredictible or something, but that's pretty much it.

Coin

The point of the directive is not anything to do with chronological progression, but to educate people so they stop coming up with silly ideas like, "Michael could give out jobs in Online!" when Michael is retired at that point, something you learn by playing single player.

CrazyHandz

I got about 10% through SP, I figure if I'm going to finish SP i'll just wait till next gen comes out and finish it with the better graphics.

garvdart

Actually single player takes place months years after mp. The Easter egg that tells you this is when madrazo sends you after the witness and also the mission where you rescue the girl from the lost at the hotel. Single player that girl is the one that green lights you. And right after madrazo asks Franklin who he is mentioning the witnesses.

Single player will get you feet wet so too speak, and will give great pointers with controls. It can also be fun just too tool around in.

As for certain individuals ie Michael as npc contacts if multiplayer ever catches up with sp then entirely possible.

Edited by garvdart

kjahcleveland

I got 100% in SP on the last night before online came out.

AlienOne

Actually single player takes place months years after mp.

facepalm

It's like 2 weeks

CarnageRacing00

Nothing that happens in online has anything to with singleplayer, and vice versa. So even if online is a couple months before singleplayer it doesnt matter which one you play first.

But I would play sp first to learn the game before heading into online vs other players.

However Lester mentions the online character in the story, he says that the online char is unpredictible or something, but that's pretty much it.

There are several missions that are directly related to the story line in single player, you just have to pay attention to the subtle links between them.

CarimboHanky

mate its not about chronological stuff, people recommend playing sp first so you can get more familiarized with the game mechanics and your surroundings.

CarimboHanky

I got 100% in SP on the last night before online came out.

100%??? wow now thats what i call rushing through a game!

i finished the story as gtao came live.

im 98.05% and working toward a real 100% every day.

Skeever

Well, if I remember correctly, there is a mission in Online where you rob a convoy transporting diamonds. The mission description seems to suggest that those diamonds were heisted by M, F and others from Vangelico's, given to Lester, then fenced by Lester to the buyers transporting the convoy in that mission. That's the only time a singleplayer event occurs during the time Online takes place, I think.

The mission description went something along the lines of "Did you hear about the diamond store that got hit last week? I just happen to know that those diamonds are being transported to X location (may have been the Kortz Center?). Ambush the convoy transporting them and bring them to me.".

Edited by WinkingSkeever6

sebcreed

This is to the people who say play single player first.. Or if you haven't played single player first you shouldn't play online. If I remember correctly online takes place before sp.. So wouldn't you want to "beat" online first? Then play single player? Just a high thought don't mind me

If you played online first, then single player would be way too easy. In my opinion single player is just an introduction to online. I played some big missions in SP a coupla months ago and I remember it being really easy.

SmokeDat

Nah, true GTA has been about SP.

Joining in on the cool MP ride without proper SP training is just nonsense. Makes you a poseur.

AlabamaFatts

This theory used to be true for me when I "used" to play. Call of Duty games. I would go straight to MP so that I could level up as much and quickly as possible so I could stay competitive with the rest of the players. But with GTA, I've found that it's just the opposite for me. There are so many different alternatives to straight up killing sprees, that I don't feel the need to go to MP right away. This, in my opinion, is what makes GTA so much better than any other game. You have so many options on how to get what you need in order to keep yourself alive and competitive. Instead of being forced into match ups against other players, you have the choice to play solo sessions to level up easily, or if you go to general lobbies, you can still just play missions and activities while still being able to avoid hackers, modders, and cash card cows. I have not played any other games than GTAV since it's release, because of one simple reason..........Why would I want to? I have everything I could ever want all in one sweet package already. You like Call Of Duty? Great, GTA not only has most of the same game modes as COD, but they also give you the option to do it in free roam, or even create your very own deathmatch, capture, or last man standing mode. You like Grand Turismo, Midnight Club, or Need for Speed? Great, GTA allows you to play a vast number of different races, using a huge variety of vehicles and classes, as well as giving you the opportunity to race in free roam, jobs, or create you very own unique race, catered to your personal pleasures. I could go on, but for the sake of keeping this terse, I think your starting to see my point. GTA gives you the choice to play most any of your favorite game types, and not only that, that allow you to customize and create them as well. Seriously, what more could we ask for? I'm tired of shelling out $60 every year for a recycled and hastily made version of a game I thought I liked. Yeah, Rockstar takes a lot of time in between games, but what they give you in return is quality. All the other game makers tweak one or 2 aspects, change the charachter names, setting, and slap a new label on it, and try to pass it off as the next best thing, hoping we won't notice that all they've done is recycle the same sh*t they produce every year, and try to pass garbage off as gold. I say the funk with that. I've now chosen to stay loyal to the company that deserves my business. That being said, again, thank you Rockstar for putting out quality products, and not following the same formula as these other companies. I have already spent around $40 on Shark Cards, and I will continue to buy more, for the simple reason that they deserve my money, for the hard work, detail, and effort that they put forth to make a great product, and continue to cater to the fans that helped them rise to the success they enjoy now. Anyone else that wants to spend 10-20$ per DLC for silly map packs, or other goofy nonsense feel free, but as long as Rockstar keeps giving us FREE content, and quality stuff, I'll continue to give them my business rather than anyone else. Sorry if this come off as a rant, but I'm just tired of hearing people complain about a product, and a service that is light years ahead of the competition, and is a company that caters to its fans more than any other. Peace, love, and unity my friends. Long live the R!

Edited by AlabamaFatts

xInfamousRYANx

I hate when people dont know the map cuz they havent played sp. They dont understand online. Although I love going into the underground tunnel that you escape the jewel store job thru and watch clueless people try to figure out where you are

kjahcleveland

Nah, true GTA has been about SP.

Joining in on the cool MP ride without proper SP training is just nonsense. Makes you a poseur.

I love when certain things in GTA Online make you reach back to skills you learned in past GTA games. For example I never lose the chilliad bike race because of how many times I beat "Chilliad Challenge" in San Andreas.

Quarthon

You can't beat online

Ninjambie

You can't beat online

This.

Also, Online is considered to be a completely separate game and even though it's set before the events of V, it has nothing to do with V. Other than Lester mentioning "someone unpredictable" during SP, there's nothing else in SP that has anything to do with our Online characters.

SemperJ550

You can't beat online

Sure you can. Play and win at everything possible and reach level 8000.

A Maned Wolf

I can tell who played SP or not by if they know how to land a plane.

The 6 back-to-back failures this morning on Titan of a Job proves this point.

dewtech

Having got the game at launch I did the month or so with no Online. It did help as by the time I got into MP I already knew the controls and map layout, so was basically like doing an extra long tutorial.

KingJohn

As people have been saying, it's not about the story it's about learning how to play the game before you attempt to play against or even with other players. Plus, the SP mission and story are way better than the ones in online, so don't see any reason to skip it.

brose_sfr

screw it!

GTA: VCS > GTA: VC > GTA: SA > GTA: LCS > GTA: 3 > GTA: LatD > GTA: BoGT > GTA: 4 > GTA: O > GTA: 5

my order may wrong toward the end, & I know I skipped the hand held games. [merp]

i always beat SP before MP. whether its a racing game or shooter or whatever, I like to learn te basic mechanics and map layout. really helps me in games like CoD. diving into a map you've never played is a recipe for disaster.

spelunking.uranus

screw it!

GTA: VCS > GTA: VC > GTA: SA > GTA: LCS > GTA: 3 > GTA: LatD > GTA: BoGT > GTA: 4 > GTA: O > GTA: 5

my order may wrong toward the end, & I know I skipped the hand held games. [merp]

i always beat SP before MP. whether its a racing game or shooter or whatever, I like to learn te basic mechanics and map layout. really helps me in games like CoD. diving into a map you've never played is a recipe for disaster.

that is not a correclt thing to say because the maps in online multi player mode for games like cod and bod are only small parts of the larger maps from single player so it would not help you at all as you would not know the multi player maps as they are condesnsed and you rprobably just passed right through them without knowing and would certainly not have time to get familiar with them in any way. So that cannot be true.

Play single player to learn to play the game and then play multi player and rape kill all the noobs who never played single player because they think it's coooooool to go straught to online and die like mushy sheep LOL :D