GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

GTAO:Why cross-platform multiplayer not possible?

GTA DUDE05

PS4 user can add friends and sending messages to PS3 user so theoretically they can join the same lobby to play GTAO in the future(Correct me if i'm wrong) but why cross-platform multiplayer not possible?

Because console limitations. Last-gen GTAV can only do 16 players. Current gen might do 32, but certainly more than last gen.

We don't want PS4 and XBone to be a ghost town with poo graphics just to be able to play with last gen player

Cross platforming is rather uncommon, War Thunder is a great example of a cross platform with PC master race and PS3 console peasants

Supreme Gentlemen

^Also a lot of games allow Mac users to play with Windows users.

Edited by Supreme Gentlemen

tacmike-2520.png

^Also a lot of games allow Mac users to play with Windows users.

mac and PC are comparable hardware wise. An XBone and a PS4 are completely superior hardware wise than a XB360 or PS3

I guess it would be possible for a current gen to join a last gen and use downgraded performance but obviously not vice versa. If everything else was the same bar the rendering of graphics you could have both in the same game with different graphics levels, as you get with PC (?) but I expect/hope that this won't be the case. Also people would perhaps be less inclined to buy current gen consoles if they could still play their mates who already have. Same reason you don't get PS/Xbox lobbies, because they don't want it and again, then there is no reason for someone with one console to purchase the other.

Edited by midders10

PS4 will have far better graphics, grass, trees and physics because the console will handle it better. PS3 players would see less of the detail and it would give them some advantages and disadvantages.

Just like parking your car in a bush so no one sees it, it still gets spotted because Xbox360 and PS3 won't render the bushes from very far away but a player vehicle, usually colored like anime vomit, renders right away and becomes a target.

Now imagine you're on PS4 and you take aim at a PS3 player. The PS3 player won't see all the grass, flowers and bushes the PS4 player sees. It just isn't programmed into the PS3 version. Same goes reverse too. PS4 player would be hiding behind bushes and grass that the PS3 player can't see and thus stick out like a boner in sweatpants.

TL;DR- We already have enough trouble making what happens on my screen appear on yours. This would make that 300% worse.

CarimboHanky

it all come down to 1 thing... MONEY!!!

as a company that produce consoles you want people to move onto the newer console, if you could still play the same games in the old consoles, why would you upgrade?

thats why companies like sony or microsoft would never allow cross platform, you want to push people into the newer product.

Hello_losers

The system architecture and what not are significantly different too so maybe that is why? I may just be talking out my arse as im not sure.

E•MO•TION

it all come down to 1 thing... MONEY!!!

as a company that produce consoles you want people to move onto the newer console, if you could still play the same games in the old consoles, why would you upgrade?

thats why companies like sony or microsoft would never allow cross platform, you want to push people into the newer product.

lol

I'm not sure about Microsoft, but cross-platform gameplay between the PS3 and PS4 is "technically possible" according to Sony. It's ultimately up to the developer.

Edited by 2281

L8m1zfV.png