GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Where are the players?

Scharkey

In the beginning I noticed full lobbies all the time. Even during the updates now they will have full lobbies. But any other time I'm finding it difficult getting into decent games anymore. I frequently use the new On Call feature and don't notice hardly any others using it. I've also noticed very few high rankers. This game has been online since October and the majority of players I cross are still under 100. I'm rank 250 and only play on the weekends anymore and still find very few near me. When Call of Duty came out people rank up so much faster than I do with this game compared to other players. In my head I'd figure there would be at least a fair share of 300s by July. What's up with this? I primarily race and win 50/50 so I don't know if this contributes to my high ranking or what. I just don't get it. Any opinions?

Gta online's getting boring. Watch dogs is where it's at ;)

Edited by AlienOne

If you're not in free mode, everyone is probably glitching while they still can, it's also been hell for me to try and find a good match.

Better make those phat stacks while they still can amirite?

Yeah I glitched in the very beginning like 14 mil but now I only have half a million and like I said I win 50/50. Moneys tough as hell too...

MajorVienna

Cause hundreds of thousands of people have abandoned gtao over time. Notice they have never shown an online player counter on their site, unlike almost every other significant online game. SA-MP proudly shows off it's online player count, and it's probably higher than gtao's.

I just noticed that about SA-MP. It's insane they are thriving more so now than they did 5 years ago. I haven't played SA-MP for a couple years now and I just checked and they are at 50,000 online in the morning. Crazy. I will admit I have had more fun SA-MP. I believe that has to do with easier communications through text and variety of servers and editing but none the less that is probably a really close number to GTA Online's player count.

Biohazard Abyss

In my head I'd figure there would be at least a fair share of 300s by July. What's up with this?

A LOT of people have already dropped this game completely. I always get a bunch of people asking me, "You STILL playing GTA?"

klZZFxG.png

I just noticed that about SA-MP. It's insane they are thriving more so now than they did 5 years ago. I haven't played SA-MP for a couple years now and I just checked and they are at 50,000 online in the morning. Crazy. I will admit I have had more fun SA-MP. I believe that has to do with easier communications through text and variety of servers and editing but none the less that is probably a really close number to GTA Online's player count.

Based on what exactly? If GTA Online's player count was that low, R* wouldn't still be developing for it.

iz5LICs.gif

Based on what exactly? If GTA Online's player count was that low, R* wouldn't still be developing for it.

Based on player counts observed in other games. Call of Duty for instance or Battlefield. You see 50,000 roughly online at a time on these games at a year after release. This being per console. So roughly 100,000 total is quite a bit to be online at once. No way there is more than an average of 75-100k players on the PS3 everyday. It is way too difficult finding full matches for this to be true.

Kids are playing outside again.

Dirt is where it's at.

Edited by MantisFang

Watch Dogs was cool for 2 days

fixed that for 'ya with my hacking skillz

Edited by novesori
  • Like 2

Based on player counts observed in other games. Call of Duty for instance or Battlefield. You see 50,000 roughly online at a time on these games at a year after release. This being per console. So roughly 100,000 total is quite a bit to be online at once. No way there is more than an average of 75-100k players on the PS3 everyday. It is way too difficult finding full matches for this to be true.

Difficulty in finding full matches isn't necessarily reflective of how many users there are, though it can be an indicator. In AA lobbies, I can count the free roam lobbies I've been in that weren't full on one hand, since October (Non-counting lobbies you join, then people leave off to join jobs). Quick joining races and deathmatches regularly lands me in full lobbies, too.

Matchmaking in Online is pretty terrible though, which plays a big part in this. Not to mention the amount of players who will bounce from a job if they have to wait more than 20-30 seconds, lol.

iz5LICs.gif

Difficulty in finding full matches isn't necessarily reflective of how many users there are, though it can be an indicator. In AA lobbies, I can count the free roam lobbies I've been in that weren't full on one hand, since October (Non-counting lobbies you join, then people leave off to join jobs). Quick joining races and deathmatches regularly lands me in full lobbies, too.

Matchmaking in Online is pretty terrible though, which plays a big part in this. Not to mention the amount of players who will bounce from a job if they have to wait more than 20-30 seconds, lol.

The problem with Online's matchmaking is that it uses a random sample for invitations, rather than a quota sample.

Really stupid.

"SEND INVITES 2 EVERY1 AND HOPE THEY JOIN". Haven't seen anything like it.

all my friends are in invite only sessions f*cking around cause the game lag caused by the last patch is so severe and half the lobbies are infected with modders stupid ferris wheels in the middle of the roads which lags it even more so that the menus take 10 seconds to appear in ammunation and stores that playing in public sessions is virtually unplayable. I went into ammunation in one such session and there were two guys behind the counter and it took 10 seconds to pop up the menu, takes full clips to the face to kill anyone and you cant move or change guns normally, its just too slow, next patch better fix it or this games probably dead until PC version.

YA BOY DIRT

Dirt is where it's at.

tumblr_inline_ml3lzfu9Co1qz4rgp.gif

Edited by DirtSPP

My friend asked me: "You still playing GTA??? What are you usually do there???"

My answer: "Well.... uhhh... I don't know. You see, I join missions, tdm. Not much... Oh well.. It's just a game before sleep to me."

Anyway, GTA will be crowded again when there's an update. After 2 or 3 days, it'll be graveyard. After 2 weeks, it'll be silent hill.

Edited by luisniko

i dont play it much anymore, mostly i just switch sessions looking for a lobby without modders that doesnt lag and watch loading screens usually getting kicked back to story mode, restart my console and clear my game cache and unlink my social club account, and start over, sometimes i get to play for 20 min before the session starts lagging.

My answer: "Well.... uhhh... I don't know. You see, I join missions, tdm. Not much... Oh well.. It's just a game before sleep to me."

Anyway, GTA will be crowded again when there's an update. After 2 or 3 days, it'll be graveyard. After 2 weeks, it'll be silent hill.

Wait till hists come out, bro.

With the crappy $5 dollar servers the game runs on, it'll be worse than the early October GTAO days.

Wait till hists come out, bro.

With the crappy $5 dollar servers the game runs on, it'll be worse than the early October GTAO days.

yea we been waiting for heists for 9 months now bro, i dont think they are coming till the ps4 PC version if ever, lol! and there are no servers, this game is peer to peer, thats why it sucks on the sh*t slow ps3.

The problem with Online's matchmaking is that it uses a random sample for invitations, rather than a quota sample.

Really stupid.

That's actually wrong. It doesn't send invites to everyone. Outside of people in the lobby, your friends and crew, the only people who will receive an invite is a sample of players that are skill matched. If auto-invite is on, it'll also attempt to invite the friends of people who join the lobby after an undetermined amount of time (which is better forced by turning off auto-invite and then back on again).

The main issue is how matchmaking works for people quick joining. I've yet to be able to work out the specifics, as it seems hit and miss, but it's definitely weighted quite heavily towards lobbies that already have a few players in it AND more than likely lobbies hosting R* content be it created or verified. That isn't so much of a problem per say, but like I mentioned earlier, the vast majority of players in GTA:O are impatient sh*ts that rarely stick around in a lobby so that it can get filled up. And thus can be rough if you don't have a huge friendlist and crew to pull players from to pad those numbers up.

iz5LICs.gif

Really stupid.

That's actually wrong. It doesn't send invites to everyone. Outside of people in the lobby, your friends and crew, the only people who will receive an invite is a sample of players that are skill matched. If auto-invite is on, it'll also attempt to invite the friends of people who join the lobby after an undetermined amount of time (which is better forced by turning off auto-invite and then back on again).

The main issue is how matchmaking works for people quick joining. I've yet to be able to work out the specifics, as it seems hit and miss, but it's definitely weighted quite heavily towards lobbies that already have a few players in it AND more than likely lobbies hosting R* content be it created or verified. That isn't so much of a problem per say, but like I mentioned earlier, the vast majority of players in GTA:O are impatient sh*ts that rarely stick around in a lobby so that it can get filled up. And thus can be rough if you don't have a huge friendlist and crew to pull players from to pad those numbers up.

Skill-matched or not, it still doesn't mean they actually want to play the game mode I've invited them to. I can imagine how much easier life would've been if GTAO used a more traditional matchmaking system, where you pick a game mode and the game simply searches for other players that have done the same.

Apologies if my grammar's off or something - haven't slept for a whiiiiiile.

Really stupid.

Skill-matched or not, it still doesn't mean they actually want to play the game mode I've invited them to. I can imagine how much easier life would've been if GTAO used a more traditional matchmaking system, where you pick a game mode and the game simply searches for other players that have done the same.

quickplay is kinda like that now with oncall, but its buggy as f*ck and doesnt let you pick the actual job just the type so if you wanna race a rockstar created race you most likely end up playing some sh*t show player created race full of walls and jumps that sucks ass. it definintely needs work. ive joined invites immediatly after ive received them before only to be greeted by the player is on a job do you wanna spectate message so apparently they are a tad bit delayed with their delivery, lol, f*cking clowns, i think they should go play a different multiplayer game for a week and then come back and fix gta 5 after they see how it should be. this is litterally the worst online game ive ever played for a variety of reasons, the matchmaking, unbalanced, lack of options, tons of stuff every other game ive played has. makes no sense how they could be so dumb to overlook such things.

Really stupid.

quickplay is kinda like that now with oncall, but its buggy as f*ck and doesnt let you pick the actual job just the type so if you wanna race a rockstar created race you most likely end up playing some sh*t show player created race full of walls and jumps that sucks ass. it definintely needs work. ive joined invites immediatly after ive received them before only to be greeted by the player is on a job do you wanna spectate message so apparently they are a tad bit delayed with their delivery, lol, f*cking clowns, i think they should go play a different multiplayer game for a week and then come back and fix gta 5 after they see how it should be. this is litterally the worst online game ive ever played for a variety of reasons, the matchmaking, unbalanced, lack of options, tons of stuff every other game ive played has. makes no sense how they could be so dumb to overlook such things.

You forgot the lack of any stability.

Time out this, lost connection that. F*cking hell.

i dont know about other players. but i got a boner for terraria right now.

yea and the fact that when it says getting game details its really not doing sh*t, if it was actually getting game details it wouldnt attempt to join me to a lobby for 3 minutes before it said player left or unable to contact session or player is on a job or whatever else bullsh*t it says before it starts loading my into a 3rd session instead of leaving me in the first one i was in, dumbasses! all you do is watch loading screens in this game, lol! i hope the ps4 and pc verion fixes that at the very least, thats worth another 60 bucks right there, heh

Edited by sultangris