GTA IV graphics glitch - flashing pluses?

Readi

Apologies if this has been posted before; have been searching and can't find a fix. Recently bought and downloaded GTA IV from Steam, but every time I try to play it, the screen fills with random blue (and sometimes white, green, and red) flashing 'pluses', as per the picture below.

http://i.imgur.com/wQ5IxFC.jpg

I'll be honest, I don't know much about computers. Mine was given to me by a friend, and it usually does the job, but I don't know how/if I can fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basic stuff:

Processor: Intel® Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 4096 MB

Video card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

~ Total VRAM: 2800 MB

PC. I went through and had a look, and it was pretty clogged up with dust. Wiped everything down and tried to move it to a spot with better air flow, but I'm still getting the same issue.

Nevermind. And did you try to launch the game directly from installed directory rather than running from Steam?

Edited by KBG

Recently bought and downloaded GTA IV from Steam

I'd presume he is.

Edited by Kalvin

Have been launching via Steam. Just tried going via the directory, and running LaunchGTAIV.exe - same issue.

Did you install all the basic softwares required to run GTA IV like .NET Framework 3.5, Visual C++ 2005 SP1 and Adobe Flash Player? And also, is there any app running in the background which is causing this issue?

Recently bought and downloaded GTA IV from Steam

I'd presume he is.I forgot, I did see it. Also edited my post out after remembering that fact.

Went through, double checked, reinstalled - same problem. Nothing that I can see background-wise that would cause any issues.

You tried any compatible mode on LaunchGTAIV.exe? If not, then you can give a try. Set it in Windows XP SP3 Compatible Mode.

Just see whether your GPU's temperature is normal or not when playing IV. I think this is some overheating issue now.