3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

acmilano

Military Crisis in Ukraine

sivispacem

Sivi, just saw footage with soldiers carrying AN-94s. No doubt. Good call.

Interesting, as I've been completely unable to find it again! I was beginning to think I'd made an identification error.

Frank Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3_DSXcUt7s

Footage of armed men storming the Crimean Parliament.

They don't really look professional in their actions. But that's just my opinion.

sivispacem

It's not really a breach-and-sweep scenario. There's no clear threat to them, I wouldn't imagine them to be "moving" like soldiers given the context.

I cucked Alex Jones

You have to hand it to Russia; the unmarked military was a brilliant move. No one knew for certain who they were until they completed all their objectives, and Putin can play the victim if Ukraine decides to intervene.

K^2

Putin asked Russian Parliament for permission to officially move troops into Crimea. WSJ

Raavi

So the so called "Peoples Militia of Crimea" will put their real Russian Patches on their uniforms and Russian military license plates on their vehicles?

Update: CNN: Use of military force has been approved by Russian Parliament, the vote was unanimous.

Edited by Raavi

RoadRunner71

Is the military intervention of a regular army of a sovereign State, like in this case Russia, without any kind of identification even legal?

Stephan90

Russia will annex Crimea. EU/USA won't go to war against Russia. New government in Ukraine will be elected. End of the story.

chsJO

Hmm... After the Sochi Olympic, Russia's plan?

I cucked Alex Jones

Is the military intervention of a regular army of a sovereign State, like in this case Russia, without any kind of identification even legal?

Does Russia care about international law? Is anybody willing to enforce these laws? The answer to both is no.

Doc Rikowski

Does Russia care about international law? Is anybody willing to enforce these laws? The answer to both is no.

Does any other country care about international law? The answer is no. :D

RoadRunner71

I'm not surprised at all...

Doc Rikowski

Russia will annex Crimea. EU/USA won't go to war against Russia. New government in Ukraine will be elected. End of the story.

I agree. Maybe West Ukraine (the poor side) will enter UE but I'm not even sure about that.

Basically what will be left of Ukraine will be doomed cause UE and USA will never go at war against Putin for just a piece of a bankrupted country.

So, resuming, Putin wins, Ukraine/UE/USA lose.

Another brilliant western mess after Syria. ;)

K^2

Right now, it's all about applying pressure in the right places. In 1994, Ukraine has surrendered its nuclear arsenal under agreement of protection, signed by United States, United Kingdoms, and Russia. Now, I don't expect these countries to just honor the agreement, but maybe somebody ought to remind Japan that they have a similar agreement in place with U.S., and if U.S. isn't willing to honor such agreements, that maybe they should kick out the U.S. military from their islands. There's been a good amount of talk about that already, that ought to pour some kerosene into these flames. Similar story with the U.K. and a number of islands that they are meant to be protectors of.

The other avenue is Turkey. The people who stand to lose the most are the Crimean Tatars. They are Muslim, and have close ties to Turkey. Politicians in Turkey have been talking a lot about protecting Muslims in Crimea. Somebody ought to remind them of that.

So that's 3 NATO nations who are bound by promises and agreements to protect Crimea from Russian invasion. Bloodshed has not started yet, so it's good time to start applying these political pressures.

Stephan90

Crimea is too small to risk a war against a nuclear power like Russia. The West will say: "80% of the inhabitants on Crimea are ethnic Russians anyway and all peoples in the world have the right of self-determination, so it's ok for us."

Edited by Stephan90

Mr. House

Does any powerful enough country care about international law?

but maybe somebody ought to remind Japan that they have a similar agreement in place with U.S., and if U.S. isn't willing to honor such agreements, that maybe they should kick out the U.S. military from their islands.

Yeah, but the Japanese making such a threat just for the sake the Ukraine (which they probably won't anyway) would fall apart as soon as all the western natural resource deals started getting cancelled. A country entering a strategic deal with the US is like making love to a 500 pound gorilla.

K^2

Yeah, but the Japanese making such a threat just for the sake the Ukraine (which they probably won't anyway) would fall apart as soon as all the western natural resource deals started getting cancelled. A country entering a strategic deal with the US is like making love to a 500 pound gorilla.

Of course, they wouldn't do anything for sake of Ukraine. And U.S. has many means of influence there, but despite that, a lot of Japanese aren't happy with the current deal, want U.S. out, and their own means of defense in. The current situation will give that faction a lot of fuel. Enough to put current majority groups in danger of losing elections. So they would do anything they can to pressure U.S. into action. I don't know how much good that would do, but it's a start.

I<3GTAV

never mind

Edited by I<3GTAV

Geralt of Rivia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26400035

Russia now has permission from its parliament to move into Ukraine, and there's unconfirmed reports that they have done just that.

Welp. With Ukraine's treaty (Yes, I know it's not technically a treaty, it's just easier to say that) with the UK and US, this could end badly.

It's basically a lose-lose situation right now.

If we don't do anything, nobody's gonna take us seriously with our word anymore. If we do something, we risk starting WW3.

Fun times in Ukraine right now.

Edited by TheMasterfocker

tuareg

CoD coming ealy this year i see. Activision are really taking it too far now.

trip

Crazy sh*t to say the least. It would be nice to see things settle down soon.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm Ukrainian, first generation US born. Like most who immigrated around the time my family did; the idea was to become American. Because of that it is almost eerie to notice how much the situation over there isn't being talked about buy some of us here in the US. I've been getting texts from my mother. They aren't about the stuff going on in the Ukraine - they are pics of her dog and stuff. It is making my (Polish) wife crazy.

Edited by trip

Geralt of Rivia

Crazy sh*t to say the least. It would be nice to see things settle down soon.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm Ukrainian, first generation US born. Like most who immigrated around the time my family did; the idea was to become American. Because of that it is almost eerie to notice how much the situation over there isn't being talked about buy some of us here in the US. I've been getting texts from my mother. They aren't about the stuff going on in the Ukraine - they are pics of her dog and stuff. It is making my (Polish) wife crazy.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised there's like no coverage of it. I'm getting all my info from reddit (No, I'm not just blindly reading comments and stuff like that).

Edited by TheMasterfocker

UtricularEwe001

Ukraine put its armed forces on full combat alert on Saturday and warned Russia that any military intervention in the country would lead to war.

After a more than three-hour meeting with security and defense chiefs, Acting President Oleksander Turchinov said there was no justification for what he called Russian aggression against his country.

Standing beside Turchinov, Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk said he had urged Russia to return its troops to base in the Crimea region during a phone call with Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and called for talks.

"Military intervention would be the beginning of war and the end of any relations between Ukraine and Russia," Yatseniuk told reporters

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA200UG20140301?irpc=932

Russian forces were trying on Saturday to seize control of an anti-aircraft missile command post in Ukraine's Crimea region, Interfax news agency quoted a Ukrainian military source as saying.

It said about 20 soldiers had entered the territory of the base, in western Crimea, and were trying to capture it. The agency made no mention of clashes or casualties and said negotiations were under way

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL6N0LY08120140301?irpc=932

poklane

Ukraine put its armed forces on full combat alert on Saturday and warned Russia that any military intervention in the country would lead to war.

After a more than three-hour meeting with security and defense chiefs, Acting President Oleksander Turchinov said there was no justification for what he called Russian aggression against his country.

Standing beside Turchinov, Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk said he had urged Russia to return its troops to base in the Crimea region during a phone call with Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and called for talks.

"Military intervention would be the beginning of war and the end of any relations between Ukraine and Russia," Yatseniuk told reporters

Russian forces were trying on Saturday to seize control of an anti-aircraft missile command post in Ukraine's Crimea region, Interfax news agency quoted a Ukrainian military source as saying.

It said about 20 soldiers had entered the territory of the base, in western Crimea, and were trying to capture it. The agency made no mention of clashes or casualties and said negotiations were under way

And here we go...

Geralt of Rivia

Oh fantastic.

And you know what's even better? Ukraine's gonna be f*cked if war does happen.

The UN's not gonna help because Russia will just veto everything.

The EU's not gonna do sh*t without US help, and the US isn't gonna do sh*t because they're not gonna spend trillions of dollars in a war that's not ours.

Putin is taking advantage of this situation brilliantly.

Sunrise Driver

Annexion of Austria and Czechoslovakia wasn't their war either.......USA and EU need to do something until it's too late again.

K^2

Annexion of Austria and Czechoslovakia wasn't their war either.......USA and EU need to do something until it's too late again.

The problem of today's politics is that not a lot of people will even get a reference. How easy it is to say, "Never Again," and then forget about it.

China have already stated that they are going to block anything in the U.N. And Russia, of course, as well. So U.N. is pretty much out. Not that they are ever any use.

It would have to be a NATO action. They will need Turkey's support on this either way, to organize any sort of action from Black Sea. Poland's definitely going to be on-board as far as providing staging area. Just gathering the forces at these two locations would be a good start.

SingularSoul

Round and round the circus goes....

Why can't we all just get along? The way I see it, within the next 50 years, China, the USA and Russia will be at eachothers throats for the very last time, if they carry on like this.

Geralt of Rivia

Nah, it'll be the US and UK vs. Russia, China, and North Korea.

Anyway, I highly doubt NATO's gonna do anything unless Russia goes full retard. As long as they stop at the annexation of Crimea, all should be good.