3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

watersgta3

Full dates the GTA games are set in

Coleman627

I agree about GTA VC and VCS. You can clearly see that those games are set during the summer, but I think that VCS is actually set during August of 1984, because that's what it said in the manual. And I agree that San Andreas is set in December of 1992, because The Chronic was released in that date and two songs from the album are in the game. Also, it was snowing in LC in the introduction.

nickvick197

I read somewhere that San Andreas is set in late 1992. So I suppose that the date you posted is right.

theGTAking101

I read somewhere that San Andreas is set in late 1992. So I suppose that the date you posted is right.

I'd say either January-March 1992 or December 1992 since there's snow in LC at the time.

Edited by theGTAking101

nickvick197

I'd say either January-March 1992 or December 1992 since there's snow in LC at the time.

You're right. Since San Andreas is set in late 1992 according to many sources, I'd say it's set in December 1992.

Stoney0503

I'd say that GTA V took place somewhere in Spring, reason being is that the weather isn't always sunny but it isn't always cold, the coldest you'll get is a fog or something, also GTA V's original release date was in Spring 2013.

Another reason is that there is snow in GTA Online in December, and GTA V's story takes place a few months after GTA Online.

Edited by Stoney0503

theGTAking101

I'd say that GTA V took place somewhere in Spring, reason being is that the weather isn't always sunny but it isn't always cold, the coldest you'll get is a fog or something, also GTA V's original release date was in Spring 2013.

I'd say it was a bit before Spring, since it's still snowy in the Midwest during the game.

A8ul99

This is my view about GTA's timeline

III - early to mid October 2001

VC - Late October 1986 (From what I remember,there's one song that was released on that month)

SA - December 1992

LCS - October 30, 1998

VCS - August 1984

IV - Mid to late 2008

TLAD and TBOGT - Late 2008/early 2009

V - early 2013

JStarr31

VC - Late October 1986 (From what I remember,there's one song that was released on that month)

SA - December 1992

LCS - October 30, 1998

VCS - August 1984

IV - Mid to late 2008

V - early 2013

More or less this....

III - October 18, 2001 (common knowledge?)

VC - July 31, 1986 (The only GTA with damn near zero NPCs with long sleeves/sweaters)

SA - December 15, 1992 (Saint Marks is covered in snow and a couple months later LS Roits)

LCS - October 30, 1998 (states it in the manual)

VCS - August 24, 1984 (VCS manual states August '84)

IV - September 12, 2008 (damn near every npc and all customization options were winter wear with no snow)

TLAD - September 12, 2008 (same time as IV)

TBOGT - April/May 2009 (starts after the three leaf clover mission, months after Nikos arrival)

V - September 1, 2013 ( most NPCs are in sweaters/winter-ish gear and Yanton is blanketed in snow)

Edited by JStarr31

nickvick197

Overall, here are the dates the GTA games are set in at the start of the story.

GTA 3 - October 16, 2001

GTA VC - June 22, 1986

GTA SA - December 15, 1992 (It was snowy in LC in the introduction, and Dre's Chronic CD was released in that month of the year.)

GTA LCS - October 30, 1998 (The date is on the manual.)

GTA VCS - August 6, 1984

GTA 4 - September 22, 2008 (Just because it was released in April doesn't mean it's set in that month. It was chili in the storyline.)

GTA TLAD - October 2, 2008

GTA TBOGT - April 22, 2009

GTA 5 - November 3, 2013

Just how I see everything.

Edited by nickvick197

BlackSnow176

How do you guys know the exact dates the games take place in (apart from V)? :whuh:

Edited by BlackSnow176

nickvick197

How do you guys know the exact dates the games take place in (apart from V)? :whuh:

Well since the official dates aren't revealed in some of the games, we're just surmising based on the season and dates the songs were released.

SmokesWithCigs

I'd say either January-March 1992 or December 1992 since there's snow in LC at the time. it wouldn't have been January or March 1992 I would know because I remember where I was and what I was doing at the time I first heard "nuthin' but a g thang"

Boyz2Society

it wouldn't have been January or March 1992 I would know because I remember where I was and what I was doing at the time I first heard "nuthin' but a g thang"

Yeah, because Nuthin But a 'G' Thang came out in like late 1992.

Mortsnarg

A little late to the party, but as far as the HD Universe goes, IV would take place in early September-mid November. Most of the NPCs are bundled up in cold weather clothing, and I remember some of the trees having an orange color to them, while some having green. I would think that TBOGT ends in late-November.

V probably takes place from the beginning of August to the end of October. My reasoning is that there's signs around the map stating its August, and some areas show pumpkins.

As for GTAO, it could be at any time really, as far as canon goes.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I'd say it was a bit before Spring, since it's still snowy in the Midwest during the game.Nah it's Spring. For V it's Spring. Those cherry blossoms don't bloom until then. And the northern Midwest gets snow until April, worst case scenario it's May. Same with New York but New York can get snow in November so SA was likely set in November 1992. IV, probably late September. Edited by Scaglietti

Mortsnarg

Nah it's Spring. For V it's Spring. Those cherry blossoms don't bloom until then. And the northern Midwest gets snow until April, worst case scenario it's May. Same with New York but New York can get snow in November so SA was likely set in November 1992. IV, probably late September.

The pumpkins? The storefront saying "August sales"? There's even a calendar in Trevor's place with August still as the month. There's reasons for both of times, but I've seen more reasons for V to be in Autumn.

As for IV being in September, I can believe it. There's a lot of times it can be in.

When they can, it would be nice for Rockstar to have a seasonal feature in the next game they can.

Mitchel

We know Vice City and Vice City Stories are set during the summer based on the time of the game. GTA San Andreas is definitely set sometime in November or December 1992 since it was snowing in Liberty City. GTA 4 is set during the fall since you could see the characters' breath in the air when they speak.

Aquilus

SA - December 1992

LCS - October 30, 1998

VCS - August 1984

IV - Mid to late 2008

V - early 2013

More or less this....

VC - July 31, 1986 (The only GTA with damn near zero NPCs with long sleeves/sweaters)

SA - December 15, 1992 (Saint Marks is covered in snow and a couple months later LS Roits)

IV - September 12, 2008 (damn near every npc and all customization options were winter wear with no snow)

TBOGT - April/May 2009 (starts after the three leaf clover mission, months after Nikos arrival)

V - September 1, 2013 ( most NPCs are in sweaters/winter-ish gear and Yanton is blanketed in snow)

Are you guys sure about VC being set in the summer? I always thought it was warm all year round in South Florida.

Masketta Man

SA - December 1992

LCS - October 30, 1998

VCS - August 1984

IV - Mid to late 2008

V - early 2013

More or less this....

Are you guys sure about VC being set in the summer? I always thought it was warm all year round in South Florida.

I think the time in-between IV's start and Thee Leaf Clover is two or three months at most. It makes more sense that the whole game takes place through late summer(?) and autumn because it never snows and the temperature and weather patterns remain the same.

Sort of? It's still comparatively chilly enough for many locals to want to wear sweaters in the colder months.

Edited by Masketta Man

Henry Hernandez

I always thought San Andreas was set during the fall of 1992 since the weather in that state was pretty humid. But now that 'I've watched the introduction and saw the snow in Liberty City, I believe that the game is set in winter of 1992, December to be exact.

muvdafucupouttahere

Considering that it's snowing in Liberty City during the events of San Andreas. no way the game could be set in September, because then it would be hotter and warmer outside. San Andreas is more likely set in December 1992, because everyone knows that winter starts in December.

However, in the case of Liberty City Stories, they made a huge plothole of the game's setting, because it said in the game that the bridge would be due for May 1998. Big plothole there.

Edited by muvdafucupouttahere

Hmmm nice bike

GTA III - For me, I'd say this is definitely October 2001. It's obviously set in the fall and they probably intended for it to be set around the same time that the game came out. Specifically, if I had to imagine a time period that the game takes place in, I'd say from the start of October until early November, the game's events seem like they'd take place over the course of a month or so.

GTA VC - Definitely Summer. The sun rises pretty early and sets late in the day, which is indicative of it being summertime. Probably set from May until July.

GTA SA - San Andreas had a pretty long story, but we know that by the time the LV story arc takes place, it's winter time since it's snowing in Liberty City. This could be between September and December 1992, or January to March or April 1992. If you go with the latter, the riot finale would actually match the real-life time that the LA Riots took place, but you'd just have to assume that it was a snowy March in the northeast at that time (snow can happen in March, fyi).

GTA LCS - The timeline got a little messed up between the newspaper manual labeling it as October 1998, but the bridge construction alert saying it'd be completed in May 1998. I think you could explain the May 1998 thing as just being a joke about the bridge finish date being constantly delayed to where any information seen is outdated. The game feels like it's in the fall, too, so I guess October 1998 makes sense for it, too.

GTA VCS - Can't remember if the day and night cycles run at the same or at a similar time to VC, but it feels like another summer-y title to me, so let's say June to August 1984.

GTA IV - Another one that ended up being a bit confusing. I think since it was meant to be released in October 2007, they were gonna have it like GTA III where it's set in the same time that it'd released. Then it got delayed to April and they clearly changed up several calendars in the game to say "April." But the trees across the city are clearly turning colors, and it looks pretty chilly as well. I can think of maybe 3 NPCs actually wearing short sleeves or shorts. It's also clearly 2008. While I used to think the game began in April 2008, looking at it now it's pretty clear that it's the fall of 08. Probably from September to November 2008.

universetwisters
15 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

GTA LCS - The timeline got a little messed up between the newspaper manual labeling it as October 1998, but the bridge construction alert saying it'd be completed in May 1998. I think you could explain the May 1998 thing as just being a joke about the bridge finish date being constantly delayed to where any information seen is outdated. The game feels like it's in the fall, too, so I guess October 1998 makes sense for it, too.

I mean the Porter Tunnel was constantly delayed in III so I don't think the bridge being delayed is too far fetched because Liberty City construction is sh*t

Money Over Bullshit

San Andreas would likely start in very early 1992 and take place between January and May since it essentially ends with the LA riots - a real world event which began on April 29, 1992. GTA IV I'd say begins around late spring-early summer since Phil Bell has a calender for July in his office.

DK06282000
16 hours ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

San Andreas would likely start in very early 1992 and take place between January and May since it essentially ends with the LA riots - a real world event which began on April 29, 1992. GTA IV I'd say begins around late spring-early summer since Phil Bell has a calender for July in his office.

Actually, a source here states that San Andreas is set in late 1992:

https://cubansgang.weebly.com/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas.html

So the game is most likely set sometime between late September-December. Also, two of Dr. Dre's songs were featured in his solo debut CD The Chronic, which was released in December 15 of that year, as well as many other songs in the station released late in the year.

McAgent

III - October 2001

VC - Summer 1986

SA - Late 1992

LCS - Fall 1998

VCS - August - September 1984

IV - Fall 2008
V - Spring 2013

Edited by McAgent