3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTA19somethin

Another GTA in the 90s

JStarr31

If you ask me, no more period pieces at all for GTA. Every game should be current setting from here on out. They've already covered the best eras, and that's not opinion.... It's fact.... 99% of the fan base weren't born prior to the 70's to debate it

This. I agree that other than the 70s R* have already covered the best eras in some fashion. We've had two games in the 80s, two in the 90s, two in the 00s and one in the 10s so far. That's a nice spread IMO. I really don't think they're going to regress and go back in time.

I fully expect GTA VI whether it's VC or some other location to be current to its time of release.

this^ I was about to type this EXACT sentence but you ninja'd in time lol

I agree as well, I expect VI to be set in the same year of its release... As for GTA VII things might get funny/hectic lol, I think R* going to stop at VI and

stick to online, but that's a whole other debate, let me stay on-topic ;)

70's might be interesting though....might...

Edited by JStarr31

KilnerLUFC

For me, think it all personally depends on the location of the game for what period they base it on tbh. Vice City pulled the 80's off perfectly because of the whole drug business empire, taking elements from Scarface, a film from the 80's too. San Andreas was heavily based on the likes of Boyz N The Hood, a 90's film, so that game was based around that era pretty much. GTA V seemed to be trying to rely on mocking a lot of modern culture, with the likes of tweets and modern traits, Hollywood themes etc, so again, current era was perfect for that game. It's easier to relate to a games location if the era it's set in is one of major relevance.

If, and I emphasise the 'if', GTA VI was to be set in Miami, then I agree that a modern setting would be ideal, as it could be used to show the transisition from the VC Miami to a modern day one.

SaintsAndreas

I would love to see another GTA set in the 90s. Specifically the mid-90s since we've already had an early 90s game and a late 90s game. I think 1996 would be best.

.Smaher.

I dont like the idea of them bouncing back and forth between eras. I'd much prefer them make GTA games set in our present century, please.

Zello

I'll take anything set in the past the 90's, 80's, or even the 70's as long as it isn't set in the present

Edited by Zello

The Deadite

No thanks, we already had the best of the 90's in SA.

Even Washington DC would be similar to LA, with more goverment agencies involved.

nickvick197

No thanks, we already had the best of the 90's in SA.

Even Washington DC would be similar to LA, with more goverment agencies involved.

Don't see what's wrong with having another 90s GTA game. We need a GTA game that's gritty and grimy. Besides, we have yet to explore the mid 90s of GTA. Edited by nickvick197

B Dawg

I want the funky 70s and the beautiful cars!

Edited by B Dawg

Xing of Virtue

I want a 90s narrative that has absolutely NOTHING to do with ghetto/hip hop cliches.

🔮

Edited by Xing of Virtue

LeakyLine

I'd love another Liberty City game in the late 90s. You play as a black kid from East Holland or Northwood. Drive a Landstalker, listen to Big Pun, and wear baggy jeans, Timberlands, and a north face jacket. I think that'd be fun...

Edited by GTA Master

PhillBellic

I want the funky 70s and the beautiful cars!

So, you'd like to drive Land Yachts? Intriguing. :)

Zello

I'd love another Liberty City game in the late 90s. You play as a black kid from East Holland or Northwood. Drive a Landstalker, listen to Big Pun, and wear baggy jeans, Timberlands, and a north face jacket. I think that'd be fun...

I'd like to see a game based around Dwayne Forge if we ever get a game set in LC in the 90's

Mitchel

I think we've seen enough of the late 90s in LCS. It's time we explore the mid 90s, either 1994 or 1995. Like the OP said, we could probably have a battle against the east and west coast gang.

LeakyLine

I think we've seen enough of the late 90s in LCS. It's time we explore the mid 90s, either 1994 or 1995. Like the OP said, we could probably have a battle against the east and west coast gang.

Nah. I'd love to see late 90s in the HD era. Retcon all of LCS. All LCS really showed us was the Mafia side of LC. Ghetto wasn't shown enough.

Mitchel

Nah. I'd love to see late 90s in the HD era. Retcon all of LCS. All LCS really showed us was the Mafia side of LC. Ghetto wasn't shown enough.

Yeah. I see what you mean. But still, the LC setting should be for the mid 90s since it was grimy during that era. If there was a late 90s GTA, it should be set more in the midwest, like a Detroit-based city.

9i OTD

I think it's time for a HD universe period piece game. The III universe had both period piece and present day (albeit one) settings, so I feel as though the HD universe has to have at least one before a new era starts.

SaintsAndreas

I think it's time for a HD universe period piece game. The III universe had both period piece and present day (albeit one) settings, so I feel as though the HD universe has to have at least one before a new era starts.

Definitely

I think the mid 90s (1995-1996), another early 90s game (1993-1994), the early 2000s (2000-2003), the late 70s (1977-1979), or 1989 would be best.

Mr.Bigshot

I think if Rockstar's gonna do a GTA set in the 90s, it should be set in the middle of the decade. We already explored the early and late 90s. Still, I'm more into a GTA set in the 70s since that's the only decade Rockstar hasn't explored yet.

SA4ever2

It would work. It should be GTA San Andreas Stories with the game set in 1991 and we could play as Cesar and see the life of his gang the Aztecas.

Marcus497

As long as the storyline is cohesive without anachronisms and has that decade vibe to it, I don't care what decade the game is set in. Still, the 90s was probably the best decade of all time and should be explored a few more times in the fifth generation.

jcole

maybe if gta 6 were to be in the 90's it could be a prequel to gta 4 set in 1995 and the protaginist could be Mikhail Faustin were you build your Russian mafia empire. empire building will work a lot like the godfather games. the map will feature liberty city, Carcer city, and independence city. independence city is based off Philadelphia. there will be countryside between the 3 cities.