3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTA19somethin

Another GTA in the 90s

universetwisters

...I feel like they could make a modern GTA really, REALLY good.. if they tried to...

I feel like after IV and it's episodes came out, that ship ended up sailing. Seeing as GTA 5 took place about 5 years after GTA 4, there's not really any "new" feels it brings to the table. If anything, V felt a lot like IV but in a sunnier climate, a pissy plot, and a good deal less funny.

If anything, they should do something like the late 90s or early 2000's, maybe not even mention the year. GTA 3 and LCS were pretty good to me and you wouldn't have noticed what year it was unless it was specifically mentioned in the dialogue considering how little "social commentary" it had. If anything, the most it had was poking fun at the rise of the internet in LCS. And even then, it wasn't really poking fun as much as it was showcasing how extreme people could be who try to get the internet, a relatively new invention at the time, shut off.

2:32

Paul723

If it is set in the 90s, it should be set in 1993, where you have a Caucasian man running a grunge-style gang named the Tarantulas in the fictional city of Saddlewhite (based on Seattle). That would be kickass.

That would be sick too. It's funny how everyone on this forum has better ideas for future GTA games than Rockstar themselves. lol

Coral_City

If it is set in the 90s, it should be set in 1993, where you have a Caucasian man running a grunge-style gang named the Tarantulas in the fictional city of Saddlewhite (based on Seattle). That would be kickass.

That would be sick too. It's funny how everyone on this forum has better ideas for future GTA games than Rockstar themselves. lol

Unfortunately these ideas aren't good. These ideas of having GTA set in X city or Y city are stupid. Nobody knows what Seattle is... or your middle of buttf*ck nowhere small ass town.

Son of Zeus

Nah. As somebody said before, SA covered the 90s feel pretty well. And the 90s feel does not mean just gangbanging. It meant the crazy conspiracies revolving around the government, the aliens, the corruption and other sh*t like upcoming stars, gambling etc.

Though gangbanging in SA was barely a quarter of the story, IMO it would be boring if we play as a gangsta in the 90s again.

There is a need for something fresh.

Boyz2Society

Unfortunately these ideas aren't good. These ideas of having GTA set in X city or Y city are stupid. Nobody knows what Seattle is... or your middle of buttf*ck nowhere small ass town.

Someone wasn't old enough to witness the 90s to see what the decade was really like. But hey. If that's how you feel, then I respect your unilateral opinion. Edited by Boyz2Society

roadrage19

Nah. As somebody said before, SA covered the 90s feel pretty well. And the 90s feel does not mean just gangbanging. It meant the crazy conspiracies revolving around the government, the aliens, the corruption and other sh*t like upcoming stars, gambling etc.Though gangbanging in SA was barely a quarter of the story, IMO it would be boring if we play as a gangsta in the 90s again.There is a need for something fresh.

Who says you have to be a gangbanger in the 90s? Gangbangers weren't the only gangsters in the 90s. Like I said in my last post, the game should be set in 93 with a Caucasian gangster running a grunge-styled gang the Tarantulas in the fictional city Saddlewhite.

dognuts

Nah. As somebody said before, SA covered the 90s feel pretty well. And the 90s feel does not mean just gangbanging. It meant the crazy conspiracies revolving around the government, the aliens, the corruption and other sh*t like upcoming stars, gambling etc.Though gangbanging in SA was barely a quarter of the story, IMO it would be boring if we play as a gangsta in the 90s again.There is a need for something fresh.

Who says you have to be a gangbanger in the 90s? Gangbangers weren't the only gangsters in the 90s. Like I said in my last post, the game should be set in 93 with a Caucasian gangster running a grunge-styled gang the Tarantulas in the fictional city Saddlewhite.

Grunge styled gang? Not trying to be a dick, but what the hell is that?

woggleman

I would like LC in the 70s but it is too soon to do LC again. They should bring back the multiple cities again and do Chicago and Detroit. Detroit in the modern day would work actually.

roadrage19

Grunge styled gang? Not trying to be a dick, but what the hell is that? The gang dressed in grunge fashion. Duh.

dognuts

The gang dressed in grunge fashion. Duh.

So a bunch of Kurt Cobain wannabes? I don't like that idea lol

(No offense)

Edited by thekillerdonuts

roadrage19

(No offense)

Who said they all have to look like Kurt Cobain?

dognuts

(No offense)

Well, what does grunge look like? Plaid shirts and ripped up jeans. Hence, Kurt Cobain. A grunge gang doesn't make sense to me, maybe i'm alone on that, though.

roadrage19

So a bunch of Kurt Cobain wannabes? I don't like that idea lol(No offense)

Well, what does grunge look like? Plaid shirts and ripped up jeans. Hence, Kurt Cobain. A grunge gang doesn't make sense to me, maybe i'm alone on that, though. Kurt wasn't the only one who rocked the flannel shirts and ripped jeans in the 1991-1994 grunge era. You're acting like Nirvana invented the fashion. Edited by roadrage19

dognuts
Kurt wasn't the only one who rocked the flannel shirts and ripped jeans in the 1991-1994 grunge era. You're acting like Nirvana invented the fashion.

Obviously Kurt wasn't the only one. And trust me, i know the history of grunge and quite like the genre. I was just generalizing.

RoadRunner71

Well, what does grunge look like? Plaid shirts and ripped up jeans. Hence, Kurt Cobain. A grunge gang doesn't make sense to me, maybe i'm alone on that, though.

The grunge thing it’s just the cultural background and aesthetic of the characters which, at the same time, is symbolic of that era and generation. I don't see the problem with it. A 'gang'... Why don't simply a group of friends, normal people not gangbangers and sh*t, struggling with their own problems like drug addictions (crack epidemic hit hard in Seattle) and commiting petty crimes which, according the storyline progresses, would escalate into a real mess. It could perfectly fit in a GTA game.

At least that’s the way I see it.

roadrage19

The grunge thing it’s just the cultural background and aesthetic of the characters which, at the same time, is symbolic of that era and generation. I don't see the problem with it. A 'gang'... Why don't simply a group of friends, normal people not gangbangers and sh*t, struggling with their own problems like drug addictions (crack epidemic hit hard in Seattle) and commiting petty crimes which, according the storyline progresses, would escalate into a real mess. It could perfectly fit in a GTA game.

Finally, someone who can see eye to eye with me. Because it would be a great idea, to have that early 90s vibe.

Boyz2Society

To be candid, as much as I like grunge music, the fashion, on the other hand, was tacky as f*ck. The flannel shirts were cool, but the ripped jeans were as tacky as it can get. Who wants to look like a hobo who hasn't bathed in months? Like the OP said, the GTA should be set in the mid 90s based on the East-West Coast beef with that gritty and grimey vibe.

RoadRunner71

Because East-West coast gang rivalry would be like, you know, super original...

HOW'S ANNIE?

A grunge style gang? What the hell are people on around here? Yeah sure I like the grunge subculture but how often have you heard about a grunge gang (even in the 90's when the culture was big) doing sh*t like moving large quantities of drugs or getting into gun battles with a rival gang. Sounds more like a group of guys who would run around with bats and knives and just get into street brawls.

RoadRunner71

A grunge style gang? What the hell are people on around here? Yeah sure I like the grunge subculture but how often have you heard about a grunge gang (even in the 90's when the culture was big) doing sh*t like moving large quantities of drugs or getting into gun battles with a rival gang. Sounds more like a group of guys who would run around with bats and knives and just get into street brawls.

I will quote myself here.

Boyz2Society

Because East-West coast gang rivalry would be like, you know, super original...

Just curious. Do you really mean it, or are you just being sarcastic?

watersgta3

To be candid, as much as I like grunge music, the fashion, on the other hand, was tacky as f*ck. The flannel shirts were cool, but the ripped jeans were as tacky as it can get. Who wants to look like a hobo who hasn't bathed in months? Like the OP said, the GTA should be set in the mid 90s based on the East-West Coast beef with that gritty and grimey vibe.

Agreed. If they do have a grunge gang in a GTA game, it should be supporting or minor. I mean sure the gang would make the GTA game cohesive, but can you imagine the weapons they'll be relegated to? It just won't work to have the gang the gist of the whole game. It would be much more interesting if they had the GTA game set in the mid 90s Liberty City, have their gang battle a West Coast gang (who aren't gangbangers). We need a GTA with that gritty and grimey vibe, Onyx and Mobb Deep style.

roadrage19

The only problem with that idea is that there was never an East-West Coast beef. It was just Bad Boy against Deathrow. I mean it will still be a great idea to have a GTA game with East and West Coast gangs battling each other, but it won't be based on anything (which is good considering the originality the other GTA games lacked).

GTA19somethin

Agreed. If they do have a grunge gang in a GTA game, it should be supporting or minor. I mean sure the gang would make the GTA game cohesive, but can you imagine the weapons they'll be relegated to? It just won't work to have the gang the gist of the whole game. It would be much more interesting if they had the GTA game set in the mid 90s Liberty City, have their gang battle a West Coast gang (who aren't gangbangers). We need a GTA with that gritty and grimey vibe, Onyx and Mobb Deep style.

Especially since we haven't seen any black gangs in LC.

Zello

Especially since we haven't seen any black gangs in LC.

There have been lots of Black gangs in LC in the III era and in IV

In the III era LC you have the Southside hoods and the Uptown Yardies. In IV you have the North Holland hustlers, The Firefly projects gang or M.O.B, and the Yardies/Hillside posse.

You must be blind if you didn't see them...

Edited by Zello

Boyz2Society

The only problem with that idea is that there was never an East-West Coast beef. It was just Bad Boy against Deathrow. I mean it will still be a great idea to have a GTA game with East and West Coast gangs battling each other, but it won't be based on anything (which is good considering the originality the other GTA games lacked).

Yeah. The East-West coast feud was just devised by the media. It was really just Tupac's record label crew against Biggie's record label crew. Still, a GTA game with East coast gangs and West coast gangs would be kickass.

GTA19somethin

Yeah. The East-West coast feud was just devised by the media. It was really just Tupac's record label crew against Biggie's record label crew. Still, a GTA game with East coast gangs and West coast gangs would be kickass.

And the gangs don't have to be gangbangers either. The Pineland (based on Oakland) Groundbreakers against the Dukes (based on Queens) Steamers going off. That would be sick. The game could also have that gritty, grimey vibe to it to make it unique.

hot-temper27

I kinda prefer a GTA game set in the modern day. But another GTA set in the 90s would definitely be sick. They should have toe story set in a midwestern state, either a Chicago or Detroit-based city, in the year 1994, and give that game that griminess. We need a GTA game with a gritty and grimey vibe.

Niko Montana

-ignore-

Edited by thedriver111

iam2fresh

i don't mind if they do a gta in the 90's in all honesty i didn't get that feeling playing sa i got a nice 80's vibe playing vice city im not sure why i don't get a 90's vibe in sa.