3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTA19somethin

Another GTA in the 90s

Coral_City

LOL. The GTA SA storyline was never supposed to focus on urban gang life. It did for 1/3rd of the game, but it moved onto something greater. It examined the growth that Carl Johnson went through from being a naive gangster from the east coast to someone who thought that life was bigger than the hood. If you guys missed that point, you definitely need to replay SA.

Kevert

I'm not too pushed about 90s but just not modern again. We need something fresh. I've always thought a 70s San Francisco setting would be good but apart from that, anywhere the series hasn't been and in any era except modern would do me.

Paul723

If they make another GTA in the 90s then they f*cking better have Nirvana on the soundtrack.

The only way a GTA game set in the 90s would include Nirvana is if the game is either San Andreas Stories or if the game is set in 1993. If the GTA is going to be set in the mid 90s, it won't feature any songs by Nirvana since grunge went in decline after Kurt shot himself in 1994.

Homemade Dynamite

If they make another GTA in the 90s then they f*cking better have Nirvana on the soundtrack.

Until the day comes where music licening is cheap and hassle free (which will be never) we won't be seeing Nirvana on a GTA soundtrack.

Yeah. R* is so broke they only have $265,000,000 to make a game with.

Claude4Catalina

There is a thread called wich characters should have their own game: I said phil bell

Simply because a back story on him would be amazing. Imagine, a GTA set in 1993 with Phil Bell as a protagonist working his way up to the top of the family ladder with many issues with the mafia because he has irish in his blood, so he can't be made. Another Mafia themed Spin off like LCS would be awesome with Phil as the protagonist, and Pegorino as a deuteragonist.

As a long shot, playing as Bell as a Mafia gopher in his early days sent by Jim the Peg to the GTA version of Philly or Chicago would make a refreshing break. I dunno, sent to handle some business with a family/Irish conglomerate in another city (part of The Peg's continual struggle to become a respectable family) and getting stuck over in the other city cleaning up sh*t before Peg unorthodoxly gives Bell his own crew to work with over in the other city, thus lending to Peg's trust in Phil show in GTA IV. Bell seems the type to early in his career to not want unnecessary confrontations so forming a cooperative effort to smuggle (drugs/guns/whatever commodity suits) between his crew and the African American gangs of the other cities. Obviously this would draw the wrath of the city's homegrown gangs, setting up the antagonists for the story, none of this "corrupt law enforcer trumps entire gangs" thing. Obviously the authorities would play a part, maybe a fellow Irishman as a corrupt copper who actually helps Bell rather than abuses him?

I'm thinking far too much into this...much resist urge to begin a new concept thread.

nkjellman

I think if we revisit the 90's we need to see a different side of the criminal underworld in the 90's, because there was still a hell of a lot more than just gangbanging in the 90's. I don't know what should be done, I just think that the entire 90's gangster thing was covered in pretty decent detail in SA.

But I'll take anything in the past over another modern GTA game. Because the way society is going, all that Rockstar's going to have to parody in a few years time is the same old internet and conspiracy theorist nut gags.

I want one that is both. Half the past, other half modern. Something in the story occurs, and brings us to the present. Kinda like Driver Parallel Lines. Half the game was in 1978, and the other half was 2006 (the games release year). They did do this in GTA V but only the Prologue was in 2004 and the rest of the game was in 2013 (but I have a feeling that the tail end of it could be 2014 as the characters say 10 years ago near the end, but they could be rounding). There was no free roam in the past and you don't see LS in 2004. However, when you return to North Yankton in Barry the Hatchet, if you look down the road, there are more buildings. The extra buildings are a fake 2D pannel that only shows at night, so when your there in 2004 in the day, you don't see it, but you see it in 2013 at night. This shows that the town developed.

If we return to Vice City, I want to see part of it in the 80's. I like the 80's vibe that VC and VCS had. I feel a lot of III era VC fans would be disappointed if they did it in the 2010's, and a lot of HD era fans would be disappointed if they did it in the 1980's because it would lack features like an interactive phone, and the in game internet which are features that the HD era had to help bring the city to life. So if the story makes it so its in the 1980's in the first half, then an event occurs, bringing the game to the 2010's (games release year). It would be neat to explore the same city during two different time periods. The way the peds are dressed would change, the cars would change, parts of the map would change, the radio stations would change, the TV stations would change, etc... Of course, players would be able to switch eras in the mission replay menu (that is once they have unlocked the 2010's), so they can go back and fourth between the two, and do things they may of missed. If the game has multiple protagonists, in the 80's, one or two of them are younger, then in the 2010's, they are more older and wiser (like Michael), and there is one or two new protagonists in the 2010's that are younger (like Franklin). I feel that two time periods would be a very interesting approach, and that it could be done.

Journey_95

I agree OP

as much as I liked the two present day GTA's its getting a bit tiresome with the same jokes and stuff (handy, internet, social networkts etc.)

Its time to go back to the past

GTA19somethin

I think if we revisit the 90's we need to see a different side of the criminal underworld in the 90's, because there was still a hell of a lot more than just gangbanging in the 90's. I don't know what should be done, I just think that the entire 90's gangster thing was covered in pretty decent detail in SA.

But I'll take anything in the past over another modern GTA game. Because the way society is going, all that Rockstar's going to have to parody in a few years time is the same old internet and conspiracy theorist nut gags.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The west coast gang the Groundbreakers don't have to be gangbangers. Just a hardcore street gang with a different way of playing the criminal underworld. We need a GTA game with a gritty and grimey vibe to it, something the other GTAs lacked.

Homemade Dynamite

The only way a GTA game set in the 90s would include Nirvana is if the game is either San Andreas Stories or if the game is set in 1993. If the GTA is going to be set in the mid 90s, it won't feature any songs by Nirvana since grunge went in decline after Kurt shot himself in 1994.

Really? Would you prefer *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys? That's a pretty sh*tty excuse because I was around in the 90s and I heard plenty of grunge music still being played on mainstream radio after Kurt's death.

Paul723

Really? Would you prefer *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys? That's a pretty sh*tty excuse because I was around in the 90s and I heard plenty of grunge music still being played on mainstream radio after Kurt's death. So far, the only grunge song I've known that was popular after Kurt's demise was Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden, and NSYNC And the BSB weren't popular until the late 90s.

Homemade Dynamite

Really? Would you prefer *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys? That's a pretty sh*tty excuse because I was around in the 90s and I heard plenty of grunge music still being played on mainstream radio after Kurt's death.
So far, the only grunge song I've known that was popular after Kurt's demise was Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden, and NSYNC And the BSB weren't popular until the late 90s.

I was referring to how grunge still got a lot of radio airplay after Kurt's death. They could easily make a grunge station in the game and it would be perfectly justified.

HoleInTheSky

This would be good. Period GTAs work so well. There's far less fascination or curiosity with the present day setting, because we're living in it. A lot of what could be added to a 90s GTA would be new to a lot of gamers, and set for a new feel to a game that wouldn't be nearly as effective if it was another current affairs satirical melodrama with iFruits and social media hysteria. This could work with any decade. Rockstar does its history settings perfectly and not just with GTA games (hint RDR), and with today's tech, I'd like them to expand on it.

Edited by HoleInTheSky

El Tigre chino

no it would be overkill and doing to much.

Edited by El Tigre chino

watersgta3

Please elucidate.

El Tigre chino

Please elucidate.

What would this gta in the 90s do better than if it were to be in the present day. What would be something new on the table for future gta's

watersgta3

Please elucidate.

What would this gta in the 90s do better than if it were to be in the present day. What would be something new on the table for future gta's

For one thing, it would give us that gritty and grimy vibe, something absent in the other GTAs.

Zello

Please elucidate.

Less reliance on modern tech wanna get the news instead of using the internet buy the newspaper. Wanna buy a car go to the car dealership buy it or jack it durring a test drive. Wanna buy stocks? Call your stockbroker check them everyday by buying a copy of the newspaper. Use one of those early cellphones or a payphone to make a call. Since I was born in 1996 I didn't get to experience the 90s fully and those who did get to experience the 90s only have memories. R* needs to take GTA back and do a period piece because this modern day crap is getting borring now.

El Tigre chino

Please elucidate.

Less reliance on modern tech wanna get the news instead of using the internet buy the newspaper. Wanna buy a car go to the car dealership buy it or jack it durring a test drive. Wanna buy stocks? Call your stockbroker check them everyday by buying a copy of the newspaper. Use one of those early cellphones or a payphone to make a call. Since I was born in 1996 I didn't get to experience the 90s fully and those who did get to experience the 90s only have memories. R* needs to take GTA back and do a period piece because this modern day crap is getting borring now.

your convincing me but there are more to add as time progress i mean what make this unique and different story wise.

Edited by El Tigre chino

Onett

Really? Would you prefer *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys? That's a pretty sh*tty excuse because I was around in the 90s and I heard plenty of grunge music still being played on mainstream radio after Kurt's death.Yeah, I really wouldn't want to listen to those guys, or even worse, if it was set set in England, we'd have to put up with Britpop.

But yeah, it would be ideal if it was set in the early 90's around 1991?

Edited by Onett

watersgta3

Really? Would you prefer *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys? That's a pretty sh*tty excuse because I was around in the 90s and I heard plenty of grunge music still being played on mainstream radio after Kurt's death.Yeah, I really wouldn't want to listen to those guys, or even worse, if it was set set in England, we'd have to put up with Britpop.

If it was set in 1991, it would have to be San Andreas Stories. 1991 would be a good setting since Nirvana popularized grunge during the autumn of that year. Maybe we'll also get Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers too. But if it's gonna be a different game, it has to be set in 1993 since that was grunge's peak.

elondon

Why not Washington DC in the 90s? Maybe there can be a mission where you take Bill Clinton to a brothel to meet that Monica chick or something.

DC was the most dangerous city in America during 90's...

Onett

Yeah, I really wouldn't want to listen to those guys, or even worse, if it was set set in England, we'd have to put up with Britpop.

If it was set in 1991, it would have to be San Andreas Stories. 1991 would be a good setting since Nirvana popularized grunge during the autumn of that year. Maybe we'll also get Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers too. But if it's gonna be a different game, it has to be set in 1993 since that was grunge's peak.Agreed. 1993 was a good year for gundge. Or hell, even set in the late 80's - early 90's in the GTA equivalent of Washington state. Edited by Onett

Zello

1994-1996 would be a good time to explore the 90's we've seen the early 90's in SA and the late 90's in LCS. Would be cool to explore the mid 90's

Edited by Zello

Phil Collin

What is there to tell in the 90's?

The rise of underground raves, I could imagine.

So what if it's Dutch? That didn't stop Rockstar from putting an Indian station in LCS.

Damn thats like techno?, But better that was actually pretty good. And its in the netherlands ofc everyone there was high and sh*t.

Edited by Phil Collin

Tikhung

I think we'd be better off going into the 60-70's. Much more interesting stories and plots to be told; Vietnam, the hippies, black panther, MLK, moon landing and space race, JFK, beatle mania ect.

f*ck yes, I'm a Vietnamese myself and can't understand sh*t the Da nang boys say.

GTA19somethin

1994-1996 would be a good time to explore the 90's we've seen the early 90's in SA and the late 90's in LCS. Would be cool to explore the mid 90's

Exactly. We need a vibe that hasn't been seen in the GTA series, and what better than the gritty, grimey vibe in the mid 90s? The story would be based on the East-West Coast rivalry with the protagonist Calvin and the Groundbreakers gang, lead by his brother Vince in the city of Pineland (based on Oakland), defending their city from the East Coast gang the Steamers, led by Snake, the main antagonist. Also, we have yet to see an east coast black gang. So I think that would be a good idea for the next GTA. We seen the early 90s. We seen the late 90s. Now it's time for a GTA in the mid 90s with a vibe we haven't got before.

watersgta3

Exactly. We need a vibe that hasn't been seen in the GTA series, and what better than the gritty, grimey vibe in the mid 90s? The story would be based on the East-West Coast rivalry with the protagonist Calvin and the Groundbreakers gang, lead by his brother Vince in the city of Pineland (based on Oakland), defending their city from the East Coast gang the Steamers, led by Snake, the main antagonist. Also, we have yet to see an east coast black gang. So I think that would be a good idea for the next GTA. We seen the early 90s. We seen the late 90s. Now it's time for a GTA in the mid 90s with a vibe we haven't got before.

That's a great idea. Have the east and west coast gang battle each other, and R* hasn't made a black gang from Liberty City. So I think it would work great. Who says another GTA game in the 90s won't work?

roadrage19

If it is set in the 90s, it should be set in 1993, where you have a Caucasian man running a grunge-style gang named the Tarantulas in the fictional city of Saddlewhite (based on Seattle). That would be kickass.

watersgta3

If it is set in the 90s, it should be set in 1993, where you have a Caucasian man running a grunge-style gang named the Tarantulas in the fictional city of Saddlewhite (based on Seattle). That would be kickass.

It's amazing how people on this forum have more great ideas of the past decade than on the modern decade. That would be a great idea as well. Man I really need to send R* a letter.

don ovdi' island

R* could make a good modern day game if they toned down the repetitive "satire" and ditched some of the now dry and corny sex jokes. My thoughts on the "satire" subject here: http://gtaforums.com/topic/729182-grand-theft-satire/

I mean I wouldn't mind an HD GTA in the 90's, or 80s.. the cars would be much, much better for sure. I hate GTA V's "vibe".. The cars, the characters, the music. I do appreciate the online, despite the beta. Regardless, I feel like they could make a modern GTA really, REALLY good.. if they tried to. It doesn't have to be old school to feel dark and gritty; because crime didnt just go away after the 90s.. many places have gotten worse since then and some have gotten better. Its still a dark and cold world out there wrapped up in frivolous fads, lies, & commercial industry feeding off of stupidity.

What GTA V to me is made me question R*'s storytelling capabilities. Im so disinterested in the story it's not even funny.