Who is the real "main character"

wakkathewarrior

wakkathewarrior

I was wondering of all of the 3 main playable characters which one do you think is the real main one that the story is about? Theres no wrong answers i just wanna hear who you think it is and why. Its all opinion.

IMO, probably Michael.

We see him as the first character in the trailer, and Michael was the first character Rockstar had in mind while creating GTA V.

Also, Michael's family plays a huge (but questionably written) role in the story as well.

j4hhYw6.png

Definitely Trevor. He is the only one who actually showed his penis in the game. That makes him number one.

Edited by gtaxpert

Flight180Victm

Probably Michael seeing as the story seemed to revolve around him and his decisions from the past and present.

Edited by Flight180Victm
  • Like 3

YA BOY DIRT

I'm gonna say Michael, cuz it feels like they spent the most time fleshing out his character than the others, and the fact that every time I press "leave GTA Online" it defaults to Michael even if I was playing as a different character before.

Michael is the obvious answer.

Trailer 1, he's the narrator, he's the focus. The other characters were after-thoughts/tacked on.

CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz 1.24v CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Push/Pull GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Mobo: ASRock z77 Extreme4 RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200W Case: Coolermaster HAF X O/S: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB

universetwisters

It'd have to be Michael. Despite that, it seemed as though Franklin had more opportunities than the others. I mean hell, he got to choose the outcome of the game.

• Like 2

sTgL5iS.png

Flight180Victm

Chop is Love.

Chop is Life.

And the nightmares of Shrek are coming back...

CallMeGarrett

Chop is Love.

Chop is Life.

Face it, this is going to happen when the Video Editor for GTA V comes out.

wakkathewarrior

Chop is Love.

Chop is Life.

And it will give just as many nightmares.

• Like 1

CallMeGarrett

Chop is Love.

Chop is Life.

And it will give just as many nightmares.

or sweet dreams, if you're into that kind of stuff.

make total destroy

Not every story needs to revolve around one character, you know.

This thread is silly.

yqwcbDf.png

CallMeGarrett

This thread is silly.

Fine.

Chop, Chop's f*ckbuddy, and Chop's other f*ckbuddy.

universetwisters

This thread is silly.

Just because a story doesn't have to revolve around a single character, that doesn't mean that the story leans more towards a character or two. Look at how cut out Franklin was of the story while Trevor & Michael were hiding in the desert.

sTgL5iS.png

I think it's Michael, he's a character that most people find it easier to connect to

He has a family,and there are more important characters in the game related to him than the other characters

It's Mike de Santa, the other protags weren't even supposed to be playable

Detective Phelps

Michael, as he is the driving force for the story.

Without him, there would be no story.

• Like 3

I think its Franklin,because the final choise he makes and we all know, that main protagonist must be alive at the end

Edited by Lebron365

Detective Phelps

I think its Franklin,because the final choise he makes and we all know, that main protagonist must be alive at the end

Franklin is useless for most of the story; he's sidelined.

He only has a purpose at the end.

That's why Mike is the main character:

Michael, as he is the driving force for the story.

Without him, there would be no story.

Franklin is not the driving force for the story, and if Franklin wasn't in the game, the story would still work. R* should have replaced F with Lamar!

As for Franklin surviving the end, that was only because R* realised that Franklin needed to get involved. ;)

Anyway, going by the artwork, ending C appears to be cannon.

All of the endings were rushed anyway, especially B.

The main character doesn't have to survive the story anyway. For example,

Tony Montana from Scarface. He is the main character, but he dies at the end (unless you consider the video game cannon). There's also John Marston, from Red Dead Redemption. He's the main character, and he dies at the end. Oh, and don't forget Cole Phelps!

• Like 3

The Online Protagonist

• Like 3

It'd have to be Michael. Despite that, it seemed as though Franklin had more opportunities than the others. I mean hell, he got to choose the outcome of the game.

Indeed. It seems, at least without having actually played the whole story from A-Z, Franklin has the most story progression. Franklin's character seems the most "developed", having a bit more of an interesting personality than the other two (Michael is a depressed old man, Trevor is just a psycho - neither are very deep - e.g. they seem like people to laugh at, while you laugh WITH Franklin) being a better balance between the two other characters. It feels like Franklin is supposed to be "you", while the other two are characters that help you get somewhere, even though they each have their own priorities and you can control them too.

But the obvious answer is that all 3 are main characters. Although it's rare for movies to have more than one central character, some do, and a few of those actually manage to evenly spread out the importance of each character (while most just seem to chuck in extra characters for the hell of it) but I find that at least as far as I've progressed in the story, V has done pretty well at balancing out the story over the characters. Michael seems to have a precedence (well, until we take control of Trevor, anyway), but his story (or rather, the mere events of his mid-life crisis) "feels" less important overall (what does he ACHIEVE that he didn't already have?). It seems like Michael might only exist to give Franklin an opportunity, and Trevor exists only to add extra struggle to Michael's story... Luckily, they all have motives and challenges that they face on their own, which gives them quite a bit of independence.

Still, I've played, by my estimate, 30% of the story (though if it's really as short as people are complaining, perhaps that'll turn out to be 45%), so who knows how things will pan out. The ending is already spoilt for me, though, and apparently in none of them does Franklin seem like a non-central character, so my personal vote would have to go to Franklin, even though I'm equally interested in all 3 characters stories.

EDIT: Interestingly, Michael's story just doesn't have anything without Trevor... it's almost like some sort of love story, weirdly :p In that respect, Franklin is the third wheel.

In conclusion... all 3 characters are. Because you can look at the entire storyline in different ways and see how each are equally as important. Depending on what you want from the story, any could be the "main" character, so upon reflection my answer is that despite storyline complaints, R* have actually done a pretty good job of making 3 main characters work together in a story. Can't have one without the other... neat!

Edited by Deji
  • Like 1

Who gets the psychiatric evaluation at the end?

Sadly, he seems to be the focus of the game.

Wish we could have taken Trev to Dr. Freeloader.

• Like 2

Who gets the psychiatric evaluation at the end?

Sadly, he seems to be the focus of the game.

Wish we could have taken Trev to Dr. Freeloader.

The whole psychiatrist thing is like a big long-running joke (and partially a plot device). The story would have been pretty much the same without it, because the only purpose it fulfils is allowing Michael to voice his feelings without a monologue or talking to himself... because he has no one else to talk to about that kind of thing. Trevor had his dumb friend to shout at and is a lot more of an expressive person in general, so he definitely didn't need a psychiatrist (not in terms of the story, anyway - he definitely could have done with being diagnosed insane and sent to an asylum, but that would kinda ruin the story). It's also just comedic, since Michael realises how pointless it all is yet still gets talked into throwing his money away in order to talk to someone who doesn't say anything useful back.
  • Like 1